Favre says he can still make deep throws

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw him on TV last night.........one of the reporters asked him if his fastball had lost some of it's zip. Favre said something to the effect that he knew then that they would be writting how he had lost it.
So Favre challenged the guy to come outside and see for himself! He would throw a few to the guy, and let him judge! (Man, i wish the guy would have taken the challenge!!!) :lol:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Ask Koren this week if his fingers hurt? I am willing to bet they do.. he still has the arm. No Doubt.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask Koren this week if his fingers hurt? I am willing to bet they do.. he still has the arm. No Doubt.
To me, it's just the "vultures" circleing. Just looking for SOMETHING negative to write about...................you know, like some of the posters on here! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw him on TV last night.........one of the reporters asked him if his fastball had lost some of it's zip. Favre said something to the effect that he knew then that they would be writting how he had lost it.
So Favre challenged the guy to come outside and see for himself! He would throw a few to the guy, and let him judge! (Man, i wish the guy would have taken the challenge!!!) :lol:
LOL thats awesome. Theres no doubt Favre still has it. 8)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Oh,.....i KNOW! I was SOOO hoping the guy would go outside and TRY to catch a few! That would have been SO funny to watch! Several years ago Favre was in Japan, and was asked to throw a few to their best football player over there. The guy didn't catch any of them! And he kept shaking his hands (in PAIN) after each attempt! Favre imitated him! It was SO funny! :lol:

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
cheesey said:
Oh,.....i KNOW! I was SOOO hoping the guy would go outside and TRY to catch a few! That would have been SO funny to watch! Several years ago Favre was in Japan, and was asked to throw a few to their best football player over there. The guy didn't catch any of them! And he kept shaking his hands (in PAIN) after each attempt! Favre imitated him! It was SO funny! :lol:
I remember seeing that video. I'll have to see if I still have that somewhere.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
To me, it's just the "vultures" circleing. Just looking for SOMETHING negative to write about...................you know, like some of the posters on here! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am one of those that believe in the effects of aging on human beings, so I guess I'm one those 'vulture posters'. I know you weren't startin nothin, Cheesey, but I just think he is losing some of his strength, and I'm one of the most glass-half-full guys on here, I think.

Being able to throw it through a concrete wall is one thing, and I don't doubt that he still can.

But the issue that myself and others have brought up lately is his deep ball. To say that there's no doubt about that is just wrong, cause there's alot of doubt lately, and there will be till he airs it out again for more than 35 yards.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had said i thought he lost some on his deep ball. Just looked that way. Maybe tired arm. Maybe weather. Maybe bad footing. Maybe miscommunication, who knows. Hope im wrong. Im his #1 fan so i would deny it to no end but it just looked that way in the last game.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Man I would have taken that challenge!! Just to have a chance to have my fingers broken by Favre would have been worth it!! :joy:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd request a helmet for those curl patterns man. I don't need a broken face after it rips through my fingers.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His arm is still well above average strength wise, however as he gets more mileage on the arm, I think mechanics, footwork, etc. become more important than 5-10 years back. If he is improvising and not paying attention to the above factors, the cannon is likely not as powerful as in the past.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I KNOW what Favre is saying(talk's cheap) but I want to see it in a game where it translates into 6 points. We are approaching that time in the season when the chips are down and you simply MUST deliver. I hope he does.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre's not losing any zip. He just hasn't been throwing the deep ball much for the past couple years.

If McCarthy spreads out the playbook and calls more plays with an aerial assault, Favre will prove it.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre's not losing any zip. He just hasn't been throwing the deep ball much for the past couple years.

If McCarthy spreads out the playbook and calls more plays with an aerial assault, Favre will prove it.

Not trying to sound like a ****, but did you watch the Redskins/Packers game?

Out of four deep throws by Brett, two hit a Washington defensive back in the hands, and two were intercepted. IMO, all of these were the result of underthrown passes. And on those four throws, you can see Brett rear back and put everything he's got into the throw, and it doesn't go far enough.

That's what concerns me.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Out of four deep throws by Brett, two hit a Washington defensive back in the hands, and two were intercepted. IMO, all of these were the result of underthrown passes. And on those four throws, you can see Brett rear back and put everything he's got into the throw, and it doesn't go far enough.

That's what concerns me.

yea, thats what i was thinkin too. he will bounce back. Many people learned a long long time ago never to doubt the guy.

Throw an 80 yard bomb on first play Brett

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

That's what concerns me.

Pack has it right... and to further it, it's not about strength, it's about accuracy. Favre has never been Mr. Accuracy on deep passes. I think part of the problem is that he waits too long... hence his limited range. I don't think he's ever had the deep ball touch. It's been spotty. I think it has more to do with his overall form than anything...

No one is questioning his strength, or at least I'm not. It's his accuracy that concerns me, and the deeper the route, the worse it gets.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't meaning anyone in particular when i said about people here, and i didn't even necessarily mean about Favre's arm strength. What i meant was people that dig to find stuff to complain about, even though we are 5-1 and on top of the world. I hope no one here thought i was singleing anyone out, cause i wasn't! Hope that clarifys what i meant!
Now, i am sure that Favre doesn't have the strength he had when he was 25 years old, cause i bet he doesn't. But i STILL think he can air it out as good as most QB's in the NFL. I STILL think some of his problem with the long ball right now is not having enough expierience with his current crop of WR's. You have to know just how fast your guys are, and i don't think he has that yet. These kids are new, and he still needs time to develope that with them. Yet even with that......5-1!!!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not about strength, it's about accuracy. Favre has never been Mr. Accuracy on deep passes. I think part of the problem is that he waits too long... hence his limited range. I don't think he's ever had the deep ball touch. It's been spotty. I think it has more to do with his overall form than anything...

No one is questioning his strength, or at least I'm not. It's his accuracy that concerns me, and the deeper the route, the worse it gets.

I can't help but question his arm strength on deep passes after the 'Skins game, though I hope he kills those doubts 'o mine!

And I totally agree with your 1st paragraph there, esp. the part I bolded in the quote. One of the first things I noticed when watching the games a second time was how long he took to unleash those bombs. That gives the safety a chance to slide over, and forces the WR to adjust his speed, as opposed to just sprinting and extending the arms.

It's very likely that this was a timing problem, and not an ability problem. Good call, Timmons :thumbsup:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't meaning anyone in particular when i said about people here, and i didn't even necessarily mean about Favre's arm strength. What i meant was people that dig to find stuff to complain about, even though we are 5-1 and on top of the world. I hope no one here thought i was singleing anyone out, cause i wasn't! Hope that clarifys what i meant!
Now, i am sure that Favre doesn't have the strength he had when he was 25 years old, cause i bet he doesn't. But i STILL think he can air it out as good as most QB's in the NFL. I STILL think some of his problem with the long ball right now is not having enough expierience with his current crop of WR's. You have to know just how fast your guys are, and i don't think he has that yet. These kids are new, and he still needs time to develope that with them. Yet even with that......5-1!!!

Like I said, I know you Cheesey, and I see your meaning now. You're right about digging for negatives, but hey, it's been 10 days since we saw The Pack play a game!! We gotta ***** about somethin! lol

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Like I said, I know you Cheesey, and I see your meaning now. You're right about digging for negatives, but hey, it's been 10 days since we saw The Pack play a game!! We gotta ***** about somethin! lol
I know.....i have been having withdrawls myself!!! :lol:

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know #4 can still throw the deep ball.

i do not know why GJ was not able to judge the ball was underthrown, and come back and make a play.

instead GJ lets a saftey run 30 yards across the field and jump up and make a play.

GJ looked like a timid version of Fergie, the CB leveled GJ after the int

Staff online

Members online