Favre says future may be tied to Sherman's fate...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read an article today where Favre says that getting a new head coach where he'd have to sit in on meetings and learn a brand new system might be the "straw that breaks the camels back" and may contribute to his retirement. I know this is extremely painful for some of our fellow friends on the forum, but I had to post it.

I'm not on the Sherman bandwagon by any means, but I'm glad to hear the players have not quit on their head coach despite the season's struggles. It shows a lot of character from the players IMO.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing I liked about this interview was that made it look like Brett will probably come back when he said:
"And then, in this division, not only is it open this year, it's open most years. I know that if I come back next year, we could be right back in the thick of it.''

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I think so. I think he'll watch to see if he thinks the Packers make the right moves in the offseason and if this team has a chance next year.

He'll be looking to see what they do with hose draft picks and whether it's a good crop of players or not.

I hope he does come back. It's obvious he's still got it.

Here is the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2213093

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well here is my humble opinion. Perhaps the biggest problem with this team right now is due to the horrible drafting done by Mike Sherman. I can't imagine Farve liking this offensive play calling of Sherman and Rossely. The bottom line is that as much as I don't want Favre to retire. I still believe letting Sherman go is something that needs to happen.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Well here is my humble opinion. Perhaps the biggest problem with this team right now is due to the horrible drafting done by Mike Sherman. I can't imagine Farve liking this offensive play calling of Sherman and Rossely. The bottom line is that as much as I don't want Favre to retire. I still believe letting Sherman go is something that needs to happen.
I think Ted Thompson will be doing the drafting, actually. And if Favre says he is favoring retirement if Sherman gets sacked, then I'd say he is liking some of the offensive play calling. I'd keep Favre and Sherman rather than get rid of both any day of the week.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is Big News. I have never had a problem with Sherman besides his post season record but I do believe that with the right picks in the off season that keeping Brett and Sherman together for one more year could be the best thing possible for this team. With an ever improving Defence under Bates.............................WE...COULD....GO....ALL....THE....WAY

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gak: absolute nonsense. One losing season and your gone? That means Bill Cowher, **** Vermeil, and a bunch of others would have been tossed, too.

Sherman can make the argument about injuries and it will stick. Thompson is also not going to roast $6 mill to Sherman and millions more for a new coach. To make any fiscal sense, Sherman is on board one more season.

Favre's comments are along the line of something I punched in here months ago: why would Brett hang around for a new coach/offense?
Even if it's the Walrus, he has better things to do in Misssissippi than paddle around with a bunch of rookies.

Sherman and Favre are tied together...so Pack66 and others: if you get your wish, you lose your hero.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that comment on the NFL station this morning. (Brett saying if Sherman goes, he goes). I don't always agree with Sherman's play calling, but if you look at his past record, it isn't all that bad. We also have to take into consideration all of the players we have who are injured. I really think that is an important consideration in our losses. I hope that Brett and Sherman both stay. Go Pack on Sunday, and beat those steelers!!!!

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Gakk if we finish 2-14 or even somewhere around 5 -11 or 6-10 I don't think you can bring Sherman back. Ray Rhodes was fired after one season with an 8-8 record. That said I don't like the idea of keeping Sherman around just so Brett will come back. Hopefully we can bring in a coach that Brett likes and he comes back next year.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Brett being able to dictate who coaches the team. To me, this is out of line. I don't want Brett to retire, but I don't want Sherman to come back either. I'm disturbed that Favre said this.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray Rhodes was not fired for his record, he was fired for the lack of discipline and accountability that swept over the team in his one short year as the HC. The place turned into a frat house party under his leadership!

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
If we end up 2 - 14 or something like that, you CANNOT let the head coach continue in his job, TT will have no choice.

Are you kidding? Jimmy Johnson...1990's...Dallas Cowboys... ring a bell? :roll:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has been hinting about this for a year or so. I brought this up in the offseason and I know net and digs have also touched on it. Favre will be here for the next 2 years unless TT runs him out. I don't think it is a coincidence that TT extended Sherman's contract for two more years.

I think in the offseason Favre will look at this team and see what kind of offense we can have when healthy. I think he will see for the first time in a few years there is reason to be excited about the direction the defense is going. Add a couple key players and you have the makings of a final run for a year or two.

Besides.....we start making our run to the divisional title this Sunday!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality is that, while not an excuse, the injuries have played a HUGE role in this teams inability to perform on offense. We have lost 60% of our starting receivers; 67% of our starting HBs; and our TEs have been unsettled all year long with Lee being the one bright spot. He must be signed.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Gak: absolute nonsense. One losing season and your gone? That means Bill Cowher, **** Vermeil, and a bunch of others would have been tossed, too.

Sherman can make the argument about injuries and it will stick. Thompson is also not going to roast $6 mill to Sherman and millions more for a new coach. To make any fiscal sense, Sherman is on board one more season.

Favre's comments are along the line of something I punched in here months ago: why would Brett hang around for a new coach/offense?
Even if it's the Walrus, he has better things to do in Misssissippi than paddle around with a bunch of rookies.

Sherman and Favre are tied together...so Pack66 and others: if you get your wish, you lose your hero.

You can't let a coach that wins only a couple of games continue, just can't happen, his job is to win games, and Sherman hasn't been doing that even though most of our games have been winable, we have lost many games this season because of tactical errors by Sherman.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

Net there is a difference IMHO between one loosing season 7-9 to one loosing season 2-14...

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherm will be back due to the fact that we need as much cap space as posible to build upon. Especially if Favre does retire after this year, we'll need that financial flexibility. I don't see the competiveness in Favre allowing himself to end his run on this season, that is unless, we finish out 10-6, and go to the big dance.....and win!! You know Brett would hang it up after a high note like that.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fondypackfan said:
I agree with Gakk if we finish 2-14 or even somewhere around 5 -11 or 6-10 I don't think you can bring Sherman back. Ray Rhodes was fired after one season with an 8-8 record. That said I don't like the idea of keeping Sherman around just so Brett will come back. Hopefully we can bring in a coach that Brett likes and he comes back next year.
BULL!
Under Rhodes the team was totally out of control!
Sherman had a very good record, second only to Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi.
There is no comparison and if Brett is comfortable with Sherman as most of the players seem to be, bring him back for at least one more year.
People have got to get over the Ray Rhodes thing.
He was the Dan Devine of the 90"s. Fortunately that was spotted by the powers that be sooner than later.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm willing to put up with another year of Sherman for Favre to stay.

Especially since I will be going to Lambeau next year if Favre stays.

I do not think GB will win any super bowls with sherman here however, no matter who is QB.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
I don't like Brett being able to dictate who coaches the team. To me, this is out of line. I don't want Brett to retire, but I don't want Sherman to come back either. I'm disturbed that Favre said this.

Favre is in no way dictating who will coach the team. He's merely saying that if Sherman goes, he may go. They can still let Sherman go, Favre can't stop that.

Members online

Latest posts