Favre retirement talk

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember right... Rodgers was drafted when Favre was only 34 years old. Favre used retirement as leverage, and passive aggressive behavior against Thompson. Resulting in 3 years of drama, ending in a ugly divorce...

Now that Rodgers is coming up on 34 years old... everyone wants to see him play into his 40s...

Yet hardly anyone is willing to admit Favre was pushed out...

Faves recent post about saying to Rodgers, " why stop at 40?" I believe has some undertones of this topic...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favres awesome and he was definitely pushed out at the end but his countinued talk of retirement made it necessary for a backup plan to be in place. The only complaint both sides can have is TT should have just manned up and traded favre straight to the vikings for 2 first round picks. They would have done it and yeah they would have possibly won the super bowl that first year but gaining those 2 picks would of helped the packers more and hurt the vikings nore in the long run. The packers werent gonna be a super bowl contender in rodgers first year as a starter anyways and favre wasted one of his last 2 good years and legitimate shots at a super bowl, waiting to be a viking in new york.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre made the decision to retire, MM & TT then made their decision to move on with AR as the starter ~ how was Favre "pushed out"?

TT (and other future Packer GM's) should never, NEVER make intra-division trades that significantly strengthen a division rival. Don't care if Minnesota wanted to part with a 1st rounder or 3 1st rounders... TT played it right by not making them stronger.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end Favre was pushed out, but he brought it on himself. If he hadn't been so wishy washy retiring and unretiring, they would have kept him.
I say that, and I liked Favre, and never felt any bitterness toward him. He was a spoiled athlete, so what?

Also, in the time since Favre played, athletes like Roger Federer and Tom Brady have changed the perception of how long athletes can play at a high level.

Reaction score
In the end Favre was pushed out, but he brought it on himself. If he hadn't been so wishy washy retiring and unretiring, they would have kept him.
I say that, and I liked Favre, and never felt any bitterness toward him. He was a spoiled athlete, so what?

Also, in the time since Favre played, athletes like Roger Federer and Tom Brady have changed the perception of how long athletes can play at a high level.
Favre became the team cat. First he wanted outside, and when we opened the door he just sat there. When he finally went outside, and we closed the door, he wanted right back in again. Then, when we wouldn't let him in, he went to the neighbor's house and acted like we never fed him or gave him any attention.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I'm moving this to the Favre area before it stirs people up as usual. Sorry guys

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre became the team cat. First he wanted outside, and when we opened the door he just sat there. When he finally went outside, and we closed the door, he wanted right back in again. Then, when we wouldn't let him in, he went to the neighbor's house and acted like we never fed him or gave him any attention.
Lol, I haven't heard that analogy before, good one.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Love the analogy. That's not to say I agree or disagree. I never really participated in the Favre debate much...been a fan so long that players have become 'parts' of the machine. One breaks down and retires...there's always a replacement part come the beginning of training camp. Have STILL never purchased a Packers jersey with a name and number on it.

The interview Favre gave. I didn't read it at first. Then, I heard a commentary by some boo-bah sitting in for Jim Rome on the CBS Radio Network ... who commented on HIS interpretation of what Favre MIGHT have been trying to say... buried between the lines ... in the land of the "unspoken". So, I went and read the danged interview and as usual - none of it was there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can appreciate a greatest hits album, even a flashback weekend on the radio.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favres awesome and he was definitely pushed out at the end but his countinued talk of retirement made it necessary for a backup plan to be in place. The only complaint both sides can have is TT should have just manned up and traded favre straight to the vikings for 2 first round picks. They would have done it and yeah they would have possibly won the super bowl that first year but gaining those 2 picks would of helped the packers more and hurt the vikings nore in the long run. The packers werent gonna be a super bowl contender in rodgers first year as a starter anyways and favre wasted one of his last 2 good years and legitimate shots at a super bowl, waiting to be a viking in new york.

I agree that Favre was pushed out, as is evidenced by Favre not getting traded to Tampa (A team that was on our schedule that year). Ted knew Aaron wasn't ready got his ******* into a bunch and hurt the team for 2 years. Ted is a horrible GM for this and other moves he has made.

For the original post, I think I agree with you completely (Except for the part where you didn't admit the truth that Favre was pushed out). I think Aaron will get the same treatment Favre did, by the next GM.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that Favre was pushed out, as is evidenced by Favre not getting traded to Tampa (A team that was on our schedule that year). Ted knew Aaron wasn't ready got his ******* into a bunch and hurt the team for 2 years. Ted is a horrible GM for this and other moves he has made.

That's a ludicrous statement to make considering the Packers won the Super Bowl in Rodgers' third season as the starter. In addition the team finished in fifth in points scored during the 2008 season but only finished with a 6-10 record because of the defense struggling.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts