Favre reserves right to change his mind

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He's playing two more seasons. I've been saying it for quite some time now. Here is a little 'hint' that he is...

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre is back.

And so, it seems, are the questions about Favre's future beyond the upcoming season.

Despite comments earlier in the offseason that there was "no doubt" the 2006-07 season would be his last, Favre said Saturday that he wasn't so sure.

"I know I said that," Favre said Saturday, in his first public comments since telling the Green Bay Packers he would return for another year. "But I hope you guys will respect me. I'm going to play this year, give it my best and not talk about it."

Favre said the constant speculation surrounding his football future -- much of which has been propelled by his own public comments on the subject -- has become a distraction for the team.

"It's been a distraction not only for me but for I think the guys I played with in the past, and I'm not going to talk about it this year," he said.

In a half-hour session with reporters, Favre admitted he doesn't know whether his decision to return was the right one. But Favre said he also would have questions if he had decided to retire.

Favre knows athletes nearing the end of their careers can risk their legacies by playing on despite retirement being a viable option. Others choose to quit when they could have played effectively for a few more years.

"Where do I fall in? I don't know, and don't care," he said. "The Packers still want me, I want to be back."

Favre threw a career-worst 29 interceptions last season as the Packers went 4-12, the team's first losing season with since he became its quarterback.

"I'm going to take chances," he said. "And there's going to be people who agree with that and there's going to be people who don't agree with it. And I really don't care."

Favre doesn't plan to change his style of play at this stage of his career.

"My desire and my commitment is why I'm here," he said. "Not my footwork, not my mechanics, not arm strength or decision making. It's my desire to win. I want to win more than anyone else. I'm willing to do whatever it takes, and sometimes it's not pretty."

Favre said many of last year's interceptions came when the Packers were trailing in games and, because of mounting injuries, Favre was playing with young players with whom he wasn't familiar.

"Maybe I should have made some different decisions at times, but we had to try to win the ballgame with whoever was in there," Favre said.

Interceptions aside, Favre's return is a boost for his teammates. Had he not come back, the team likely would have started last year's first-round draft pick, Aaron Rodgers, at quarterback.

"I don't have to ever worry about anything, because I know when the time comes, I'm going to be that guy that's going to be getting the ball," receiver Donald Driver said. "I would have had worries if he wasn't here. You never know how the system works then."

Favre may have hastened the departure of disgruntled receiver Javon Walker when he publicly criticizing Walker's threats to hold out for a new contract last year. Walker was traded on draft day.

"We could sure use him," Favre said of Walker. "Any team could use him. But I don't regret the things I said. And I stand by that."

Favre reiterated several times on Saturday that he never considered asking to be traded to another team in the offseason.

"I know there was a lot of talk about being traded or wanting to play for another team," Favre said. "That never, I've told you guys that over and over again that I didn't want to play for another team, and that's the truth. And never once did I mention [a] trade. This is where I wanted to be the whole time."

But does he still want the ball with 2 minutes left and the game on the line?

"I'm here," Favre said Saturday. "I didn't pull too many out last year, but I gave it my damnedest, and that's all I can do this year. But if I didn't want the ball, believe me, I wouldn't be here."

edit, I'm getting the sense he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder here

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want him to play for as long as he possibly can. I just wish there was some sense of knowing when he is done. It would be nice to watch a season where you know it is his last and he can get a proper sendoff, whether it is this year or next year. I don't mind him not knowing, but I just hope he can be decisive and make his decision quickly after this year. A repeat of this offseason would be annoying but whatever brings him back is great.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems pretty obvious...it the Packers make dramatic improvements and the coaching staff, new players, etc. demonstrate that in 2-3 years they can get to the SB, Brett will be back for all of it.

Another 4-12 season, and Brett is officially done.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 more years! 5 more years! 5 more years! i remember when i was messing around with a mouse trap when i was younger. mom told me to knock it off or i'd break my finger. i said i was going to shut my finger in the trap. mom said ok. i didn't want to back down (change my mind). i broke my finger... i wish i would've changed my mind. hope you all liked that one.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He's playing two more seasons. I've been saying it for quite some time now. Here is a little 'hint' that he is...

w00t ... i was right ... next prediction ... Packers IN the playoffs in 07 ... bold eh? :p

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
5 more years! 5 more years! 5 more years! i remember when i was messing around with a mouse trap when i was younger. mom told me to knock it off or i'd break my finger. i said i was going to shut my finger in the trap. mom said ok. i didn't want to back down (change my mind). i broke my finger... i wish i would've changed my mind. hope you all liked that one.

:wall:

Members online

Latest posts