1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Favre Requires Surgery

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by CM_Awesome, Apr 30, 2010.

1. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I turned on ESPN Radio while I was cleaning and heard that Favre requires ankle surgery to play this season. He is currently undecided whether he wants to get it and play or just retire.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    This is just breaking so not to much info...

But this MIGHT be a huge issue for this reason..

Say its a long rehab, more than likely he will need extra time to get in shape..

Will he still try to skip out on all the training camp?

3. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
  4. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Part of me says he's a diva, wants attention, and is just saying this to make himself look like an even bigger "Iron Man." Am I being too hard on Favre?

I agree with what you said. If he actually needs the surgery, I doubt he could skip training camp and come back and be effective. Also, if this forces him to retire...the Vikings are doomed!

5. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    YOU DON'T SAY!!!!

Favre has an issue that will require him to miss most offseason??? WOW, what a shock...

Lemme guess... He's gonna come back by the 3rd or last preseason game? WOW what a shock...

6. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Yup, he built in an excuse to miss all of training camp. My guess is he'll return right around mid to late August.

I sepecially loved this quote:

"We have spoken,'' Favre said in an e-mail to Werder. "To play again, I would need the surgery, as I suspected. This decision would be easy if not for my teammates and the fans and the entire Vikings staff. One year truly felt like 10 -- much like Green Bay for many years. That's what I was missing in my heart I suppose, a [sense] of belonging.''

So after being worshipped by fans for more than a decade, he didn't feel like he belonged? Seriously, what an *******!

7. rawalabhay

rawalabhay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    The drama starts again! Brett Favre!

Maybe he will be back maybe he won't be back

ESPN and Yahoo sports are both reporting that he needs to have ankle surgery to play next year!

Can somebody post a link for me as I still don't have the 10 min threads required to post links!

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I think he meant as a Jet.

But, still, he felt AS comfortable with the Queens AS with us? 1 year, and 15 years? Are you freaking kidding me?

Well, you can stay in that SBless dump, for all I care.

9. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Your probably right. Afterall, he needs an excuse to skip "dreaded" training camp.

Of course he's an *******. The guy is a spoiled pampered little brat in the body of a 40 year old.

10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983
    is going to post something on his web site??

got this in an email about 10 minutes ago

I suspect it came from his friend who owns the site

11. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983
    From Bretts web site

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Oh, so he injuried the ankle BEFORE the NFCC game! That's why he threw that int, and couldn't run for extra yardage!!!

See!! It's all explained! What a warrior! What a hero! He's an inspiration to all of us!

What a freaking bum. Glad we got rid of him and his piss poor excuses for failure. Rodgers didn't evoke ONCE the blalant facemask...

13. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Rodgers has class and dignity. Favre, well... You can only say "Stay Classy" in the usual sarcastic tone.

14. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,022
    He doesn't need an excuse to miss training camp. Childress has already told him he can come in whenever he wants to. And he said today that he's played with an ankle that bothered him as much as this one does. So this is all about keeping Brett in the news, and stringing his latest team along. Come late July, he'll tell the Yikes that he wants to play, but his incentive contract needs to be torn up for a new guaranteed contract for a modest raise to, say, 18 or 20 million. They'll cave into him since they have no other option at that late date.

15. DoubleC4

DoubleC4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    hes playing everyone dont worry. this is just his excuse to get out of training camp. we knew it was coming sooner or later

16. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    The ESPN injury analyst said something about the bones in his upper ankle spreading too far apart as a result of a bad high ankle sprain (the injury Favre sustained right before the NFC championship). In his statement from his website he calls the surgery minor and that he is able to work around his property fine, but some exercises cause pain.

His statement is part true and part bs.

I'm sure he has played through pain that is worse, I don't doubt that. That is the true part.

The BS is that the procedure is minor and that he would be able to play without surgery.

I'm assuming it is his tibia and fibula that are spreading. He damaged his syndesmotic ligament. Regardless it really affects mobility, the ability to support weight, and to change direction while supporting that weight.

Sure, he could play without surgery but he would be less mobile than Dan Marino on his worst day, LoL. But more than likely he will have to have surgery, and that surgery isn't minor. They put in at least one but usually 2 or 3 screws and sometimes a plate to stabilize the joint. There is always the risk of the body rejecting the foreign material, and the risk of infection.

17. lancer84

lancer84 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    Yea no doubt. I think hes gone through alot harder injuries...so hes probably gonna come in after preseasons over... after he sees how good tjack and sage do. imo Tjack and Sage < brady quinn..anyday. The Vikings fail of the year is not drafting clausen...

18. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    He is just going to have surgey so he can miss training camp and then return lol

19. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    I've been reading up on the Ankle Syndesmosis Repair surgery and it states that the patient can begin to resume athletic activities after 8-12 post-op but a full recovery can take up to 6 months. A full recovery sounds like it may cut into the beginning of the season doesn't it?? LoL

20. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    Its Dr James Andrews. He is the best in the world at this stuff. He will get his 3rd ankle surgery and the press will just eat it up and talk about how tough he is for 3 months until they talk about how he chokes.

21. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    He needs to play so we can get our revenge

22. 21dmvp21

21dmvp21 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    boy i sure am glad he is the queens problem now and we dont have to worry about it anymore. i think its funny how the queens missed out on clausen because favre cant make up his mind and then this story comes out a week after.

23. GBpackers

GBpackers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    When Favre said that his one year with the Vikes felt like ten and he had a sense of belonging....well what a slap in the face huh? I wonder if he forgot where he came from. I believe when he finally retires he will realize that he should of retired a Packer and stayed a hero instead of having unsuccessful seasons with other teams.

24. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    I Love Favre cause We dont care anymore we will beat him twice next year if he plays if not then We will beat Jackson Twice.

25. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    We went through this song and dance last year with the shoulder. Eventually he'll have the surgery and he'll show up in Minny around the 2nd preseason game.