Favre reminder for Critics !!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted September 25, 2006

Mike Woods column: Favre reminds critics he's far from finished

Mike Woods

DETROIT — It's days like this when you wonder what you did with your mind.

The notion of trading Brett Favre to a contender so he can end his career happily? Wait just a minute. What about our happiness?

Or how about the idea of shoving Favre out to pasture to make way for Aaron Rodgers, because the Packers have to know what the kid can do?

Do they? Right now?

The Golden Boy II reminded everyone Sunday that this is his team, his rodeo and, as always, the Packers will go as he goes.

Sunday, all went well. Favre isn't as good as he once was, but on Sunday he was as good once as he ever was, as country boy Toby Keith would have attested.

He played under control. He played smart. He threw for 340 yards, three touchdowns and completed 25 of 36 throws, all to the proper uniform, as the Packers removed themselves from the debate of NFL's sorriest outfit with a 31-24 victory over Detroit, still a strong contender in that discussion, at Ford Field.

This Packers team on this day had a defense that couldn't catch a cold, much less the Lions. Its secondary allowed Detroit quarterback Jon Kitna, a journeyman if there ever was one, to be confused with John Elway. It had no running game, unless you count Greg Jennings' 70-yard run after a catch. But you can't.

No, all the Packers had was Favre.

Whether he finally is seeing the light, or is being coached differently, or just decided to try a new approach, he didn't try to do it all himself. Numerous times, he threw to his checkdown receivers and let them do the work.

"He was enjoying himself,'' receiver Donald Driver said. "And when he's enjoying himself, he plays well. When you're trying to make everything happen, that's when everything seems to go downhill. But he played well today. He was excited, having fun.''

Only a few times did he just chuck it up, trying to make something out of nothing.

"I didn't have to hold the ball in the pocket a great deal,'' he said. "I think that's how you manage the game, but I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I went into the game and played the way I felt I needed to.''

You wonder, though, how long this mind-set can last. He needs more help from his running game, the part of the offense coach Mike McCarthy said he was going to commit to, but for the third straight game, McCarthy turned to Favre more than he did his running backs.

Then again, can you blame him? Favre is playing decently and under control, but Ahman Green, his best running back, can't hang onto the football, fumbling at a crucial time for the second straight week and putting the Packers in position to lose.

Unless things improve, the Packers' fate will continue to rest on Favre. There will be good days, like Sunday, and bad. Because this team isn't going anywhere this year, days like Sunday make the bad days that are sure to come easier to accept. At least they should.

Members online

Latest posts