OP
OP
P

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

No link announcement was on channel 27 news in
Madison Wi just as I posted it, no further details excepting as I posted.

sorry ,, but it is real now is the time

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why so early! damn! Im gonna have to get up at 7 now. and if he says hes coming back, then i wont be able to sleep. and if he retires...i can cry myself back to sleep.

screw sleep.

OP
OP
P

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it is early but if I had not heard it with my own ears and then asked my wife to confirm what I heard i would have thought hmmm too many bneers already today :)

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre to announce his plans Saturday
Print this | E-mail this | Font size: 131415161718

Posted: April 7, 2006

Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre has scheduled a Saturday morning news conference, where he is expected to announce whether he'll return to play for the Green Bay Packers this season.
Becky Stuart, a personal assistant to the Favre family, confirmed that the news conference would be held at Favre's charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss.

In a story in Friday's Green Bay Press-Gazette, Favre said that he told general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy earlier this week that he may have a decision by the weekend or early next week.

"I want to do what's best, obviously, for me and my family," he said. "But regardless of what people might think, I don't want to jeopardize the future of the team. I don't want to do that. I think that the people that know me, including those in the organization, know that."

Favre, who spoke with the Press-Gazette reporter at his golf tournament, said he wouldn't want to play for anyone but the Packers, who finished 4-12 last season, Favre's only losing one in Green Bay.

The 36-year-old Favre, who would be entering his 16th season in the NFL, still feels he can play but said last season rattled his confidence a bit.

"I had a lot of chances to pull us out of the fire last year and I didn't do it," he said.

Favre said he wouldn't return just to collect his $10 million salary or to try to break more records. If that were the case, he said, he already would have made his decision.

"That's sort of my dilemma right now. If I felt like we really could compete for the Super Bowl, I would come back. Or am I coming back just to play and to have fun, and in the process maybe we lose," he said. "Last year was no fun for the fans or for the players, and nobody wants to go through that again."

Favre said he has concerns about the team's offensive line, which struggled last season after the departure of stalwart guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera to free agency.

"From a coach's standpoint, you have to say the right things, that we'll be competitive and we'll win, and I truly believe Mike McCarthy will do a fine job," he said. "But really, what have we done to replace the guys that we've lost on the line?"

Favre said McCarthy isn't letting uncertainty about his star quarterback affect his preparation, which includes getting Aaron Rodgers, the team's first-round draft pick last season, ready to start.

Favre said his greatest dilemma is figuring out whether he can get up the energy to have fun, something he didn't have last season.

"It means something to come back and be there, but to come back and be that dominant player, which I wasn't last year. I never blamed it on other guys before and I won't do it now," he said. "I don't want it to be like, 'At one time he was good. He should've retired. He stuck around one year too long.' That wouldn't be fair to anyone."

My guess is he'll announce he's gonna play. An announcement of his retirement wouldn't be made in the middle of a charity golf outing.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is that why its so darn early? golf tourny? damn youse!

Who else is going to be up to see\listen to it?

will it be on packers.com?

magic_8ball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is scary, I don't ever remember a player callign a news conference to say the he is returning. However, I've seen many players call news conferences to retire. No Brett No!! , one more year! one more year!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do they usually have Press Conferances when a guy says hes coming back to play? I know this is a unique circumstance, but you always think of a press conferance where a guy retires, not stating he's coming back.

OP
OP
P

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Do they usually have Press Conferances when a guy says hes coming back to play? I know this is a unique circumstance, but you always think of a press conferance where a guy retires, not stating he's coming back.

Probably for the respect of the fans that have supported him he would do this. And yes since it is a golf outing I have a good feeling he is back for
"one More Year" as was the chant at the last game at home last season.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to be bad news. If he didn't announce this so soon after his latest interview I'd say he'd be back. His comments questioning what has been done to upgrade the OL and then the next day setting up a news conference is not a good sign. I'm one of the few that think he had every right to take all the time because he was not given a time table and I for one know the team is better with him than w/o him. I certanly hope he says he's back, but with the timing of this after his latest comments, I'm afraid that he's gone. Man if ever I was wrong I hope its now. Time to buy the 30 pack...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured they'll would be a press conference whether he comes back or not. HE owes it to the fans to hold one and make his decision especially with this long wait..

Keep in mind that there was no conformation on whether this is an annoucement of his future.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam Schefter said on the NFL network that he thinks Brett is done and the fans in GB are probably doing a little wishful predicting. I hope he's wrong. How am I going to sleep tonight? PLEASE BRETT come back.

I think tommorrow is going to be a sad day for Packer fans. On the plus side, at least all the "Brett is holding back the team crap" will be finished.

Members online

Latest posts