Favre prepares with prep team

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Kind of a coaching move by Brett?

By Stan Caldwell
Gannett News Service

HATTIESBURG, Miss. — Once Brett Favre decided to come back for a 16th season as the Green Bay Packers' quarterback, he showed he was serious about being in shape.

Favre, who today reports to the Packers' training camp in Green Bay, has spent almost every morning for the past three weeks working out with players from Oak Grove High School.

He's thrown passes to the Warriors' wide receivers and given their quarterbacks tips on how to improve as they prepare for the 2006 season.

"I'm helping myself out," Favre said. "I've been doing a lot of running with these guys. I've run more and thrown more in the last three weeks than I have in recent memory."

Favre lives in the Oak Grove area during the offseason, and his daughter, Brittany, will be a senior at Oak Grove this fall, so he has an attachment to the Warriors.

Oak Grove coach Nevil Barr said it was "special for the kids" to have Favre on hand.

"This is a chance for him to run with them and to throw with them, and it's helped us. We did what we would have done anyway; we just had Brett Favre throwing the ball," he said.

Naturally, the Oak Grove quarterbacks taking part in the team's voluntary workouts enjoyed it.

"It was a blast, a great experience," senior Kirk Lance said. "Any time you get to throw with Brett Favre, it's fun. I felt like a little kid out there."

Lance said the most important thing he got from working with Favre was a sense of mental preparation.

"It wasn't just fundamentals," Lance said. "It was just a lot of mental stuff about what it takes to get to the next level."

Lance completed 148 of 258 passes (57.4 percent) for 2,883 yards and 31 touchdowns in leading Oak Grove to a 12-1 record and a berth in the Class 5A South State finals.

"He threw for more yards and more touchdowns than I did last year, so maybe I should get some pointers from him," Favre said.

Actually, Favre threw for more yards, 3,881, but he had only 20 touchdowns and he threw a league-high 29 interceptions last season.

Improving on those numbers played a big part in his decision to get some extra work in before training camp starts Friday night in Green Bay.

"It's been good for me," Favre said. "I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, and it wasn't a big deal for the kids, either. I didn't try to put my style of play on them. They have their own way of doing things, and they're pretty good at it."

Oak Grove is 53-14 in Barr's five seasons as coach, and using the kind of help Favre can provide has been part of that success.

"It was exciting being able to work with him," junior Drew Norwood said. "He gave us a lot of pointers, a lot of little things that I can use, such as how to get the ball out quicker.

"Just watching him throw, and knowing he's played in the NFL and done good in the NFL. Just to watch him was amazing."

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
holy ***** - would that have been AWESOME or WHAT????? thanks for posting the article, zero. i'm jealous as all get out of these kids!!

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasnt it just Favre last year that said that he wasnt there to coach? Talking about takaing Rodgers under his wing? Ya think this guy loves the game of football??!!? :D

usmpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I logged on to see if anyone had picked this story up, it was front page of the Hattiesburg American today. Oak Grove has one of the best high school teams in the state, Div. 1-A prospects each year (including the starting QB), and a great coaching staff. Plus its about 5 minutes from Brett's house. I'm sure the kids there were thrilled. They must've kept this quiet, since today is the first this has been reported. A sign of respect from them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
on officialbrettfavre.com it was reported yesterday along with Brett will be flying with TT to Reggies HOF induction

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Article said:
"I'm helping myself out," Favre said. "I've been doing a lot of running with these guys. I've run more and thrown more in the last three weeks than I have in recent memory."

:shock:
Hmmm a heck of a workout with a HS team... anyone else worried about this?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Article said:

Not at all. He showed up for minicamp, OTAs and training camp. It's all extra practice for him.

His comments could be geared to give the HS team confidence.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Article said:

It's still more than what Sherman had him do before training camp. :lol:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wonder if he broke any recievers fingers, how funny would it be if a WR was lolly gaggin back to the huddle and favre taught him a lesson.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
i wonder if he broke any recievers fingers, how funny would it be if a WR was lolly gaggin back to the huddle and favre taught him a lesson.

I wondered the same thing but I'm thinkin he took a little zip off his passes.

I think This little work out was a positive thing.
He was thinking and working on football instead of fishing or golfing.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, Ryan...even at your relatively youthful age, I defy you to run around with a bunch of 16 - 18 year oldes and then tell me what a lightweight workout it really is.

Played a pick-up game with a bunch of HS kids with some of my buddies when in our early 30s. Those kids just never run out of energy.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Hey, Ryan...even at your relatively youthful age, I defy you to run around with a bunch of 16 - 18 year oldes and then tell me what a lightweight workout it really is.

Played a pick-up game with a bunch of HS kids with some of my buddies when in our early 30s. Those kids just never run out of energy.

Oh I could never do it, I would keel over and die! I'm just saying that I found it odd that a perennial pro bowler, future HOF (no not Hoff, don't get excited) QB and obviously professional athlete would be out there with them instead of a personal training whipping his butt into shape. Then again, perhaps he is also out there for the love of the game.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that he has already completed his off-season core training and is in even better shape than last year, by his estimation.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
My understanding is that he has already completed his off-season core training and is in even better shape than last year, by his estimation.

Pish posh what does HE know?! ;)

spacecoastpkrfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Article said:

My first thought was how MM would feel about all this throwing after monitoring his pitch count so closely during practices. Granted he probably did take some zip off his passes but I'd bet those young receivers were trying their best to get Brett to air it out !! That being said I think it's fantastic that he would spend his time mentoring local kids and says much about the personal character and class of one of the greatest players of all time...are we lucky or what ?? :p

usmpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see no reason for concern. Yes, it was high schoolers, but, again, Oak Grove is one of the premier programs in the state of MS. A top notch coaching staff, the head coach [Nevill Barr] could be a good college coach if he wanted to go that route and had the opportunity. Their top player from last season, a LB, is now at Auburn, their best wideout is now at Southern Miss after getting overtures from Miami and FSU. Not exactly the little sisters of the poor... and knowing Coach Barr, the workouts weren't walks in the park, either. Oak Grove runs a spread offense, shotgun formation on every play, so they have several wideouts capable of catching the ball, though #4's normal velocity would've been a new experience for them...

Members online

Latest posts