Favre playing for another team? NO WAY

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make no mistake, PackersRS, TT was hired to re-build the Packers. You don't accomplish that with a 36-year old QB. Each & every move TT made within 6 months of his hire was designed to start over from scratch.

#4 was highly offended that TT snubbed his requests to keep the O-line intact. Some argue that it wasn't financially feasible to do that. I disagree. The D was porous in '04. There were plenty of ways to purge $$$ from that side of the ball. Sharper was a good start, Diggs too. Hunt, & others were expendable. If winning had been the ultimate goal for TT in '05 he could have kept Wahle with a smaller cap number.

Wahle spoke publicly about it right before the Week 4 game in '05 between GB & CAR. He said he was never approached about anything related to a new deal, reduced or otherwise.

My point is there was a Top 5 offense in GB after the '04 season. If TT wanted to he could have played keep away with that offense & won the division in '05. Rivera wasn't worth keeping but Wahle was. Finding one guard would have been easier than replacing two Pro Bowl guards. That was plain insanity, unless of course the main objective was to get #4 out of the picture as soon as possible so the re-building could begin.

This is why I still harbor ill will toward TT. He's making much more sound decisions now that his mark is all over the team. But for a team to fall to 4-12 after 3 straight division championships was too much for me to forgive. He's not solely to blame for '05 but I do believe his initial assessment of how to manage the Packers was flawed. He created a lot of animosity with Walker, #4 & eventually Sherman.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And what did they push him out for?

Mr 31-33, Thom P. Tedson and Mr. 6-10, "****, get on board, and watch me be mediocre and unable to win games" Rodgers.

Nice move, right...

The Packers are on their way back to obscurity, thanks to Thom P. Tedson...the loser!

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bart Starr: 5 Championships
Brett Favre: 1 Championship

You mean those wins?

How about these wins?

Thom P. Tedson: 0
Aaron AROD Rodgers: 0

I guess you guys just love mediocrity and obscurity with Mr. 31-33...

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make no mistake, PackersRS, TT was hired to re-build the Packers. You don't accomplish that with a 36-year old QB. Each & every move TT made within 6 months of his hire was designed to start over from scratch.

#4 was highly offended that TT snubbed his requests to keep the O-line intact. Some argue that it wasn't financially feasible to do that. I disagree. The D was porous in '04. There were plenty of ways to purge $$$ from that side of the ball. Sharper was a good start, Diggs too. Hunt, & others were expendable. If winning had been the ultimate goal for TT in '05 he could have kept Wahle with a smaller cap number.

Wahle spoke publicly about it right before the Week 4 game in '05 between GB & CAR. He said he was never approached about anything related to a new deal, reduced or otherwise.

My point is there was a Top 5 offense in GB after the '04 season. If TT wanted to he could have played keep away with that offense & won the division in '05. Rivera wasn't worth keeping but Wahle was. Finding one guard would have been easier than replacing two Pro Bowl guards. That was plain insanity, unless of course the main objective was to get #4 out of the picture as soon as possible so the re-building could begin.

This is why I still harbor ill will toward TT. He's making much more sound decisions now that his mark is all over the team. But for a team to fall to 4-12 after 3 straight division championships was too much for me to forgive. He's not solely to blame for '05 but I do believe his initial assessment of how to manage the Packers was flawed. He created a lot of animosity with Walker, #4 & eventually Sherman.
Exactly. He was hired to rebuild. There should be animosity towards who hired him to do so. We could've gone a few years more with that team. But IMO it needed to be rebuild sooner or later.

I, too, wanted Wahle on the team. And I don't buy the salary cap issue. Walker, on the other hand, was the right move. He's a bum. Also, I wanted Randy Moss. Getting him for a 3rd pick would be a bargain, and he was adquired for a 4th... But he is very expensive, and has only 1-2 years left. However he's worth it.
Not only that, dealing Corey Williams was a wrong move IMO. And it proved that way when we didn't have enough depth at the DL. But he isn't exactly a good locker room guy. And is failing in Cleveland.
Picking Harrell was a wrong move, I didn't like the 08 draft.

But he was hired to rebuild. And he has done it. There's no question about the packers overall quality. And we're the youngest team in the league.
Like I said in the other post, he's no Bill Polian. He's no Scott Pioli. But IMO he's made more good moves than bad moves.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Favre was pushed out but my argument all along has never been THAT he was pushed out as much as HOW he was pushed out. I think Favre hits the nail on the head when he stated that it was fine if they didn't want him, but at least have the balls to tell him that and then go from there.

I'm convinced TT - by not explicitly welcoming Brett back for the 2008 season - was banking on Brett seeing the writing on the wall and going away quietly. That often happens in the business world. However, when an employee or player in Brett's case reaches a certain level of super-stardom, that type of spineless operating didn't really cut it with Brett - and for good reason.

Look, nobody is going to argue TT doesn't have a job to do - the man is pretty checked-out in his trade. Unfortunately, it appears TT isn't the most ideal communicator and sadly this is one of THE most important traits for somebody running the show.

At any rate, it's all water under the bridge. Teams move on, and it is fair to admit players should be afforded the same luxury. So, I am eager to see Brett in Minnesota - not that I feel that team is chock-full of talent - as much as it is a blessing that Brett continues the hunger. I know from a personal standpoint that I would have taken the money and run a long time ago. This is one reason I find myself admiring #4, for he must certainly enjoy playing the game.

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre sets a deadline for himself of July 31st? Haha, this just keeps getting better. How did that conversation with Childress go..."The hell with your deadlines, I will make a decision the night before training camp starts. I Brett Favre ******!"

Did Childress respond with "Sir...Yes sir!"

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. After Joe Buck's show, I'm a Brent hater. But he was indeed pushed out the door. It started the year MM was hired, instead of Brent's friend Steve Mariucci. Then the whole Randy Moss thing. Favre was interfering with the management. That's bad for team chemistry, for the most influential player on the team to go against the GM. But Favre was the best on the team, too.

So they went with him. But after the Championship game, they wanted Favre focused and being part of the team. Something a separate shower doesn't allow. He thought himself above the organization. And when he was reluctant to commit to the team, they thought Arod was ready and didn't insist with Favre returning from the anual retire or not retire, like they did previous years. So he retired, and they called his bluff. At least that's what I know. For what I know, they didn't actually push him out the door, but they sure wanted him to retire, and when he did, they gave no effort to bring him back.

I might not be remembering correctly, but weren't TT and MM ready to come down to Mississippi some weeks later after Favre reportedly got the itch to play again and hold a PC announcing his return to the team only to have BF change his mind yet again? If this scenario is true I don't buy the "Brett was pushed out the door" theory. :shake:

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Favre was pushed out but my argument all along has never been THAT he was pushed out as much as HOW he was pushed out. I think Favre hits the nail on the head when he stated that it was fine if they didn't want him, but at least have the balls to tell him that and then go from there.

I'm convinced TT - by not explicitly welcoming Brett back for the 2008 season - was banking on Brett seeing the writing on the wall and going away quietly. That often happens in the business world. However, when an employee or player in Brett's case reaches a certain level of super-stardom, that type of spineless operating didn't really cut it with Brett - and for good reason.

Look, nobody is going to argue TT doesn't have a job to do - the man is pretty checked-out in his trade. Unfortunately, it appears TT isn't the most ideal communicator and sadly this is one of THE most important traits for somebody running the show.

At any rate, it's all water under the bridge. Teams move on, and it is fair to admit players should be afforded the same luxury. So, I am eager to see Brett in Minnesota - not that I feel that team is chock-full of talent - as much as it is a blessing that Brett continues the hunger. I know from a personal standpoint that I would have taken the money and run a long time ago. This is one reason I find myself admiring #4, for he must certainly enjoy playing the game.
Now THIS is a very good post that I can almost agree with. Finally, someone that isn't just attacking TT for the sake of attacking. You nailed it about the way he handled it. I would've made the same move (trying to convince Favre to retire), considering he thought himself above the organization IMHO. However, having in mind the status he achieved in GB, it SHOULD've gone smooter.

About the urge to play, like I said before, it's admirable, if it isn't just to "stick it" to Green Bay. And even then, I'm fine. I don't think revenge is a bad thing. I cheered for him in NY. I would be fine with him beating us, even in the playoffs. BUT the only thing I just can't stand is him playing FOR THE QUEENS. That is just too much for me. Because IMO he should be the best man and his consideration for GB fans should be higher than his ratred towards the organization.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with TT not running back to Brett Favre with his tail between his legs begging for Favre to play. I also understand why Favre wants to go elsewhere, Green Bay has made it clear that Aaron Rodgers his their quarterback. He cant go back to Green Bay, he wants to play football, and the only team that will have him is Minnesota.

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what did they push him out for?

Mr 31-33, Thom P. Tedson and Mr. 6-10, "****, get on board, and watch me be mediocre and unable to win games" Rodgers.

Nice move, right...

The Packers are on their way back to obscurity, thanks to Thom P. Tedson...the loser!

C'mon, Rodgers had a great first season for a 1st year starter,despite some 4th quarter mistakes; you just can't call him mediocre. It's simply not true. You're just being nostalgic and not reasoning.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we are going to know if Favre is playing for another team by July 30th. 10 more days to sit through massive speculation.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
and Mr. 6-10, "****, get on board, and watch me be mediocre and unable to win games" Rodgers.

First off, Thom P. Tedson isn't funny or clever, it makes you seem like a 12 year old (which for all I know, you could be). Needed to be said.

Second, compare Favre's stats and Rodgers stats from last year. There is no comparison. Rodgers dominated him statistically. Any RATIONAL fan would realize that it isn't the offenses fault that we struggled down the stretch. The defenses inability to make stops late in games cost us big time. The Houston game, the Carolina game (Steve Smith is an alien. No human is that good, outside of Larry Fitzgerald), I think Jacksonville came back on us late if I remember right, and New Orleans put up 51 on us.

Fun fact: While the Packers were struggling down the stretch, Favre was almost singlehandedly playing the Jets out of the playoffs. He was great in the first half of that season, don't get me wrong, but he was absolutely atrocious down the stretch, and I gotta believe the games started streak influenced him to risk his health, and his team's season by going out there and playing every week with a torn wing.

That said, if the torn wing heals and he goes back to first half of 2008 form, the Vikings are going to the Super Bowl.

In the end, management made the right decision. Rodgers would've been a free agent and would've went somewhere else to get his opportunity. We needed to see what we had. Turns out, we had a top 10 NFL QB who will only get better for the next 10 or so years barring injury (Another Fun Fact: Aaron Rodgers is the number 2 rated QB in Sports Illustrated's Fantasy Football issue). Meanwhile, Favre will play on par with Rodgers for this year barring injury, and then he'll ride his tractor into the sunset after this year. Had we have kept Favre and had him retire after this year Brian Brohm would be our QB next year. Did you just shudder in horror? Because I did.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well we are going to know if Favre is playing for another team by July 30th. 10 more days to sit through massive speculation.

Just might be sooner than that..

and what if he says he will stay retired?

Can we then stop all the comparisons?

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just might be sooner than that..

and what if he says he will stay retired?

Can we then stop all the comparisons?

Nope.

Ted screwed Favre, plain and simple.

Favre

4-12
8-8
14-3

Rodgers

6-10

Favre was on the "ascendency" no matter how the Ted "ball huggers" try to rationalize that "Favre wasn't the future", and "Favre was done".....

Now if Ted the Traitor doesn't win with Rodgers he should be tarred n' feathered and ridden out of Green Bay on a friggin' rail....

:frustrated:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope.

Ted screwed Favre, plain and simple.

Favre

4-12
8-8
14-3

Rodgers

6-10

Favre was on the "ascendency" no matter how the Ted "ball huggers" try to rationalize that "Favre wasn't the future", and "Favre was done".....

Now if Ted the Traitor doesn't win with Rodgers he should be tarred n' feathered and ridden out of Green Bay on a friggin' rail....

:frustrated:

then let it go if he stays retired..

FYI, I never thought he was done, I never thought he should been traded..

He should have given the CHANCE to at least compete if nothing else..

but it is what it is.

Now just let this go, no sense in beating a dead horse in every post you make, those are the posts that MIGHT get deleted, or edited..

Notice the MIGHT in there?

Members online

Latest posts