Favre Named 2007 S.I. Sportsman of the Year

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
Roger Federer should have won it. The guy is already at the Micheal Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Pele level of mastery in his sport.

I love Roger and he is all class, but tennis has really gone backwards in North America when it comes to popularity. The sad part about that is the US Open probably had the best tennis matches in years in 2007.

I think Brett is a great choice, if I wasn't him I would say Tiger Woods who has also done so much for his sport, and gives large amounts of his time and money to charity.

sorry to be dragging this thread away from topic but yah if Andy Rod**** could beat Federer he'd be a household name in the US, hes very marketable. I'm pretty sure Woods has won it before, as had Lance Armstrong. Maybe it was Bretts time :) The funny thing is he could have easily won this any year in the 1990's. :D

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interesting when your HOF QB manages to merit such an award; how the interest level varies depending on which forum you go to. Quite insightful to say the least !!!

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you take the time to read the SI.com article, it just reinforces how much Favre means to us Packer fans (and to MANY more, e.g. charities).

I'm going to be 21 in February. That means I wasn't even 5 years old when Favre came in for the injured Majkowski and won the game. For me, football itself is synonymous with Brett Favre. My love for the Packers is inextricably linked to Brett Favre. As the article pointed out, too, it's not simply about the great plays and wins. There's the human element. When Irv died and Favre played the game of his life, it had only been about 2 weeks since my dad (my BIGGEST hero) had survived a random airborne virus that almost claimed his life. I sat there, watching a silly football game with my girlfriend, and I cried almost the entire time. Favre has become bigger than sports. I understand that being a Packer fan requires that during the 60 minutes I tuck my Favre admiration into a helpful place. It's about the team playing together and winning as a team. But I can't deny the fact that the Packers, and more specifically Brett Favre, have been a huge compliment to my life. Could I live without football or the Packers or the ageless wonder? Sure. I'm sure I could still be damn happy. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to.

The two years before this one put things in perspective for me. I was spoiled before that, never witnessing a losing season for my favorite team. I had started to become content with the idea that Brett and the Packers had seen better days and it was time to hunker down, say goodbye to the legend, and hope for the future. Then we rallied and beat the hated Eagles. Then the Pack went into New York and took over in the second half. Then came the exciting and improbable win over San Diego (welcome back Greg Jennings!). The next week, I took a sizable chunk out of my savings and made the trip to the Metrodome (I'm a student in St. Paul... I know, Vikings country) and watched my favorite player break one of the greatest records in football. It was that next week, in the loss against Chicago, that I felt like it was 1997 again. I mean, we lost. That sucks, sure. But the fact that I was so angry about it said something. The previous two years I hadn't expected jack when we went out and played. I didn't think we were very good. When we lost against Chicago and I was angry, I knew we were good.

It's been great to expect great things again. Favre and the Packers have done that for us all this year. "Let's keep this **** going." Let's appreciate every snap that the legend takes, as it's one more amazing play waiting to happen and one more snap closer to the end. Thanks for all the fun Brett. Your approach to the game, your love of the game, and the style in which you play the game is truly inspiring.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you take the time to read the SI.com article, it just reinforces how much Favre means to us Packer fans (and to MANY more, e.g. charities).

I'm going to be 21 in February. That means I wasn't even 5 years old when Favre came in for the injured Majkowski and won the game. For me, football itself is synonymous with Brett Favre. My love for the Packers is inextricably linked to Brett Favre. As the article pointed out, too, it's not simply about the great plays and wins. There's the human element. When Irv died and Favre played the game of his life, it had only been about 2 weeks since my dad (my BIGGEST hero) had survived a random airborne virus that almost claimed his life. I sat there, watching a silly football game with my girlfriend, and I cried almost the entire time. Favre has become bigger than sports. I understand that being a Packer fan requires that during the 60 minutes I tuck my Favre admiration into a helpful place. It's about the team playing together and winning as a team. But I can't deny the fact that the Packers, and more specifically Brett Favre, have been a huge compliment to my life. Could I live without football or the Packers or the ageless wonder? Sure. I'm sure I could still be damn happy. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to.

The two years before this one put things in perspective for me. I was spoiled before that, never witnessing a losing season for my favorite team. I had started to become content with the idea that Brett and the Packers had seen better days and it was time to hunker down, say goodbye to the legend, and hope for the future. Then we rallied and beat the hated Eagles. Then the Pack went into New York and took over in the second half. Then came the exciting and improbable win over San Diego (welcome back Greg Jennings!). The next week, I took a sizable chunk out of my savings and made the trip to the Metrodome (I'm a student in St. Paul... I know, Vikings country) and watched my favorite player break one of the greatest records in football. It was that next week, in the loss against Chicago, that I felt like it was 1997 again. I mean, we lost. That sucks, sure. But the fact that I was so angry about it said something. The previous two years I hadn't expected jack when we went out and played. I didn't think we were very good. When we lost against Chicago and I was angry, I knew we were good.

It's been great to expect great things again. Favre and the Packers have done that for us all this year. "Let's keep this **** going." Let's appreciate every snap that the legend takes, as it's one more amazing play waiting to happen and one more snap closer to the end. Thanks for all the fun Brett. Your approach to the game, your love of the game, and the style in which you play the game is truly inspiring.

Nice post. :!:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. I've scoured the SI page as much as I could for some type of discussion board but couldn't find anything.

Members online

Latest posts