Favre Named 2007 S.I. Sportsman of the Year

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roger Federer should have won it. The guy is already at the Micheal Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Pele level of mastery in his sport.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roger Federer should have won it. The guy is already at the Micheal Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Pele level of mastery in his sport.

Maybe...I'm not even 100% sure what sport he is in. Tennis, I think. The Favre story is a pretty good one this year so far. To bad how it ends...(j/k) Favre is an excellent choice.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol BUT do you guys really believe he has been the best sportsman on the planet in the year of 2007?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tennis is not for real men.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- First in Pro Bowl Balloting at the moment

- In contention for a possible 4th MVP

- Breaking the NFL TD, Attempts, Completions and Wins records

- Helping to lead the youngest team in the NFLto a 10 and 2 record

- Five Fedex air player of the week awards

etc, etc etc

Yeah, I think he is deserving lol, Congratulations Brett :packbeer:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus the non-game related stories - Koren Robinson, Make a Wish, etc. Maybe Federer compares, but I doubt it.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
lol BUT do you guys really believe he has been the best sportsman on the planet in the year of 2007?

Yes, I do actually. It wasn't for player or athlete of the year, but sportsman of the year. More to sportsmanship than pure athletic ability or how many points you score.

I think they are looking at the person's play on the field, their overall attitude, teamwork, love of the game and sportsmanship. How the player is respected by other opposing teams etc.. is another factor. Farve in that sense is the best sportsman I know of right now. Maybe there are plenty others in other sports who match up, but for me Farve is #1 in all those things. You should really read the article, I'm sure it explains it better than me.

It might have been better to say Farve is Football's Sportsman of the Year. But since we all know NFL football is the #1 sport.....guess that makes him Sportsman of the year! LOL

Go Pack Go

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is the most beloved athlete in America's favorite sport. There may be better athletes out there, true. But in a sports world embarassed by almost daily revelations of steriod and performance-enhancing drug use; win-at-all-cost culture that leads to cheating and underhanded business dealings; news of young people's lives destroyed because of the outrageous amounts of money thrown at them - Favre's story deserves to be celebrated.

He is what we want our sports icons to be: true to himself, his family, his teammates, his fans, his community.... and his sport.

Congratulations, Brett!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
But since we all know NFL football is the #1 sport.....guess that makes him Sportsman of the year! LOL
Go Pack Go

well considering Devon Hester was also a candidate then perhaps Im glad Favre got it :)

The Iraqi soccer team was probably the greatest sports story of the year, for those of you unaware of their plight get on your Google-bikes.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love Roger and he is all class, but tennis has really gone backwards in North America when it comes to popularity. The sad part about that is the US Open probably had the best tennis matches in years in 2007.

I think Brett is a great choice, if I wasn't him I would say Tiger Woods who has also done so much for his sport, and gives large amounts of his time and money to charity.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murgen said:
Tiger said:
But since we all know NFL football is the #1 sport.....guess that makes him Sportsman of the year! LOL
Go Pack Go

well considering Devon Hester was also a candidate then perhaps Im glad Favre got it :)

The Iraqi soccer team was probably the greatest sports story of the year, for those of you unaware of their plight get on your Google-bikes.

Yeah, the stuff they've gone through is ridiculous. If any team deserved it, it was definitely them a thousand times over.

By the reaction on the SI page, you'd think this selection triggered the apocalypse. I understand fans of teams in the NFC North really not liking Favre, because of all the hell he's put them through for the last 16 years, but come on. It's just ridiculous. The "overrated" tag is really getting old. 3 MVPs, 8 Pro Bowls, two Super Bowl and one ring. But, I know it's cool to hate Brett Favre. Any other QB with those stats and all of his numbers would be considered one of the greatest ever, regardless. I'd love to see how all those people would have reacted if Favre had been on THEIR team for these last 16 seasons. I highly doubt they'd consider him overrated then. That's pretty much why I try not to associated with NFL fans (other than on this site). Nobody says anything rational. It's always, So and so sucks...so and so will kill so and so. It lessens the game to caveman level. 4thand26 is atleast funny and thought-out in his bashing. The Green Bay Irish thing is hilarious. But as soon as I hear "blah blah blah sucks", it completely negates any argument the person may have been making.

Um...sorry. I rambled on alot longer than I planned. I'm just extremely annoyed.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:

Well, it's ok for real men to play when he hits 50.

it's just like it's ok for a real man to start playing golf at 60.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Tiger said:

it's just like it's ok for a real man to start playing golf at 60.

Don't be dissing golf. Any sport you can play with a beer in your hand and a smoke in your mouth is manly.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts