Favre: More retirement talk

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you catch the dialogue between Aikman and Buck about Favre's retirement talk? Apparently Favre said that he adds up the days he wants to play vs. the days he would rather not be playing, and whichever number is greater will determine if he keeps playing after this season. They asked him how it's going, and he said it's about 50-50. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of his desire to keep playing football.

Favre is still better than most QB's in the league, and he is a minor reason, at best, for the Packers' struggles this season. What concerns me, though, is the plays he is making at the end of games. The illegal underhand flip at the end of the Cincinnati game was the worst. The two toss-ups at the end of yesterday's game were not much better. It looks like he just wants to get these games over with so he can go home. That's why I think he should, and probably will, hang it up at the end of this season.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those long, desperation throws are more the product of his other receivers inability to get open and the design of the offensive scheme. Sure, he is making bad decisions along the way, buy his poor play is in large part due to the lack of support around him, and, I believe, this staff's tolerance of Brett's "dark side", which was corrected and channeled better under Holmgren

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The professional season is brutal and brutally long. He's been asked to carry the load for much of the season, and I can appreciate how it loses its fun over time.

I think he's in a holding pattern until the front office decides just what 2006 will offer.

If TT boots Sherman and continues the roster cleansing(look for another 2 win season if that happens) I think Brett will simply say "ciao". I don't think he wants to learn a new offense(he told Buck and Aikman that). If they hire Bates, for instance, and they retain the offense under someone with WCO ties(like Bevell or Marty Morningweig for example) he might return, but I think he will need assurances he will have a supporting cast to help him out.

It's likely TT will boot Green and probably Davenport, a couple of others. If Walker can come back, Driver, Bubba, etc. and they add a dynamic front-line running back and maybe a better o-line, I could see him returning.
But if they ashcan many more vets, and bring in a new coach, look for a really bad year next year and why would he return? They have Aaron Rodgers waiting to get killed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts