FAVRE MIGHT BE BACK, BUT HAVEL APPARENTLY WON'T BE

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
First Barbaro, now this?

One of the worst-kept secrets in league circles is that Chris Havel and the Green Bay Press-Gazette have parted ways.

Details are very sketchy regarding the manner in which the relationship ended, but several sources with knowledge of the situation have advised us that Havel is no longer working there.

We got into an e-mail battle with Havel last year regarding his failure to disclose in an interview with Brett Favre that he has written two books with him. A link to the back-and-forth with Havel is right here.

With that said, the paper's web site still lists Havel as an employee. But it appears based on a search of Google News that his most recent column was published on January 7.

Press-Gazette sports editor Mike Vandermause has not responded to our e-mail and voice message to him seeking official confirmation of Havel's status. (Ewwww, that sounds like "real" journalism.)

I was gonna call in last tuesday to his show and ask if he wrote for the press gazette anymore or if he was jus a sesaonal writer, but didnt figuring that'd be rude.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Havel is usually good, but sometimes kind of silly. It's funny how these losers at profootballtalk, or whatever, are still bragging about their e-mail "battle" with Havel, in which he completely *****-slapped them.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Havel is usually good, but sometimes kind of silly. It's funny how these losers at profootballtalk, or whatever, are still bragging about their e-mail "battle" with Havel, in which he completely *****-slapped them.

Yeah, apparently every article Havel writes he's supposed to put a disclaimer that he co wrote two books with Brett otherwise he's a lame duck journalist. :tantrum:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what happened with Havel. He had been at the Press Gazette for quite a few years, hadn't he? I expect him to resurface somewhere.

I found the entire Cliff Cristl chat very interesting, although maybe he takes the "playmaker" theory a bit too far. With the Patriots, for example, I agree that Tom Brady is a special player, but he wasn't considered to be special until after he'd won two Super Bowls.

I especially enjoyed Cristl's breakdown of the percentages of Hall of Fame or Pro Bowl players who are taken at different spots in the draft, and how that relates to the NFL's point value system:

"It's possible the No. 1 pick could be a bust and that some day another sixth-round pick will be a Hall of Famer. But the fact is that you have a 33% chance of landing a Pro Bowl player at No. 16 and a less than 1% chance of drafting a Hall of Famer. With the No. 1 pick, you have about a 60% chance of drafting a Pro Bowl player and upwards of a 20% chance of drafting a Hall of Famer. So, again, there's nothing wrong with pipedreams. But there's a reason in the NFL point value system why the first pick is worth 3,000 points; the 16th pick, 1,000 points; and the 32nd, or last pick of the first round, 590 points. By the way, the 199th pick, where Brady was drafted, is worth 11.8 points. Then again, when Brady goes in the Hall of Fame, he may be the first sixth round pick to make it. So far, there haven'tbeen any."

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if is indeed true.

He had had three incidents at the paper over the last year.

Last July He was caught taking home 8"x 10" copier paper.

Last September he was caught taking an employees Tuna Salad Sandwich from the break room refrigerator.

January compay officials found out he was using the company phone for a 1-866- dating introduction chat line. It was paper realized h had rung up a bill of over $400.

He has been hired to cover the Bengals for a Cincinnati Newspaper.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you listen to 107.5 FM The Fan out of GB, he said he resigned from the Gazette because he wanted more freedom(along with other reasons).

I never really liked his columns, but his Packer talk on the radio is pretty good.

Just don't let him talk baseball...

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Richard , Oshkosh, WI: Rob, Please don't take this the wrong way, we love your chats. I've heard that Chris Havel got fired. Is he catching on with any other papers? Thanks
Rob Demovsky: Richard- I've had a lot of people ask about Chris Havel, and I've been told that I can address it in general terms. I know there was a mention on another paper's website that he got fired. That's not technically true, but it is true that he's no longer with the Press-Gazette or Packersnews.com. I don't know what his future plans are beyond his radio show.

Members online

Latest posts