Favre Lighting it up Already

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his second day of practice with the New York Jets on Sunday, Brett Favre looked far more comfortable than he did on Saturday.

He completed 10 of 14 passes during team periods in the morning full-pads practice and for the first time in two days showed off his arm strength.

From his 25-yard line, Favre unleashed a deep throw that went some 60 yards in the air. Receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who had a half step on cornerback David Barrett, caught the ball in stride and strolled into the end zone for a 75-yard touchdown.

“That was a heck of a throw,” Jets tight end Chris Baker said. “Obviously he can make every throw, as you say in practice today.”

Can Aaron even throw a ball 60 Yards?

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats awesome. I could imagine the Jets fans creaming in their pants already, with their 5x Favre jerseys going nuts

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i feel like we ought to be done discussing this already, but I don't think the concern regarding Brett had to do with how he looked in August, but rather January.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I came on the Packerforum.com, I didn't know we were keeping updates on other teams QB's now... While you're at it, how is Jeff Garcia looking?

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see any problem with discussing something like this once in a while on here. Part of the split/divide between Packer fans is that TT supporters take every opportunity to put Favre supporters down and to dictate what we can think, what we can talk about and what we should be happy about. Seriously, if we want to talk about Favre, just let it go. Dont even look at the thread. Just because it does not interest you does not make it unimportant to some people.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every once in a while in my opinion, wouldn't include a play by play of how he is performing in Long Island. I mean I understand the connection between Packers fans and Favre, obviously he is probably all of our favorite player or at least was at one point. It's just that there comes a point where we as fans need to separate our interests and try and look forward to the upcoming season rather than recapping how past players are doing in August.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just say that when i see a topic i'm not interested in, i dont look at it. Doesnt get much simpler than that. There will always be Favre threads on the site. , People still talk about Javon, Sharper, Gilbert Brown, Reggie, etc. Lets not argue about it, just accept it.

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the OP fails to mention is

1) Favre threw a pick on his first pass of his first practice

2) Favre fumbled a snap today, and was required to run a lap.

OP
OP
D

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chevelle2 said:

LOL, Fumbled a snap, OMG!

Technically, Brett threw the INT to a Jets player, which is probably one more pass than Mr. Happy Feet will ever complete to a Packers Player.

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
Chevelle2 said:

LOL, Fumbled a snap, OMG!

Technically, Brett threw the INT to a Jets player, which is probably one more pass than Mr. Happy Feet will ever complete to a Packers Player.

You wanna bet on that?

Boo hoo, turnover king is at it again! :lol:

zoogies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:

Dude.

Read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=3450317

As it turns out, Rodgers has a very strong arm. He's had the strong arm since he's been in Green Bay. The football explodes off his hand on each throw in practice. Teammates have noticed it for years because they work with or against him in practice.

According to some teammates, Aaron Rodgers' throws have more velocity than Brett Favre's
Favre was a gunslinger from a different era. He was a master of the quick draw, a shootist. But in practice, quarterbacks don't square off at 30 yards and fire at each other. And, because no one expected Favre to miss a start, Rodgers barely caught the eyeball.

While you might feel as though you're missing something watching Packers minicamp without Favre, it's impossible not to notice how impressive Rodgers looks now that No. 12 runs the offense. He has a smooth, polished retreat from center. His feet are in good position for each throw out of three- and five-step drops.

And then you take notice. His right arm sets up naturally, and the ball comes out unnaturally fast. He doesn't possess an old Randy Johnson fastball, but, in baseball terms, his 6-2 body throws the fastball of a 6-5 pitcher. Sticking to baseball comparisons, Rodgers might not generate 99 or 100 mph on the radar gun, but he'd consistently hit 94 and 95, and sometimes 96.

"He has a cannon," wide receiver Greg Jennings said. "We call him the 'Human Jugs Machine.' He throws it like a Jugs machine every time.

Aaron Rodgers has set himself aside as the team leader this offseason.

"He can make every throw on the football field, and his deep ball is one of the prettiest. Brett had a great deep ball, but Aaron has a beautiful one."

Jennings said there are some throws Rodgers makes that have more velocity than Favre's. As a young receiver, Jennings can only speak about Favre in his later years. "We knew that coming in that Aaron throws a lot harder, so it's not a surprise," the third-year Packer said.

Running the West Coast offense, though, Rodgers isn't asked to go deep much. Favre wasn't either, but it was his nature to do it anyway. Rodgers won't have Favre's flair for the dramatic -- who will? -- but you can see he will bruise a few fingers and hands trying to move the chains out of three- and five-step drops.

Which brings up another point: having arm strength is nice, but it's not everything. It's a part of the whole package, and for QB, the mental aspect of it is much more important. How important is arm strength? Well, you could ask Kyle Boller.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the way we ran our offense last year, it sounds like Rodgers would be a real solid replacement. If he can fit the ball in nicely on the slant routes and keep the teams honest with the deep ball then we should be in position to get to where we were last year, or maybe even further.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
In his second day of practice with the New York Jets on Sunday, Brett Favre looked far more comfortable than he did on Saturday.

He completed 10 of 14 passes during team periods in the morning full-pads practice and for the first time in two days showed off his arm strength.

As of Saturday, since the trade in 11-on-11 drills Rodgers was 42 of 54 with 4 TDs and a single INT, which resulted from Jones letting the ball slip through his hands.

Read and learn something:

Donald Driver said recently that the 220-pound Rodgers throws the ball harder than Favre:

http://www.bnd.com/508/story/428399.html

Any more questions?

RockJock07

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
I dont see any problem with discussing something like this once in a while on here. Part of the split/divide between Packer fans is that TT supporters take every opportunity to put Favre supporters down and to dictate what we can think, what we can talk about and what we should be happy about. Seriously, if we want to talk about Favre, just let it go. Dont even look at the thread. Just because it does not interest you does not make it unimportant to some people.

You can discuss this, just in the NFL portion of this site. My along with the rest of real packers fans don't need threads telling me how good brett looked everyday of practice. Next we'll be getting updates on when he wipes his ***. Jesus

pseudocide

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so what, the jets defense won't be able to stop my grandmother again this year? great post

please move this to NFL news

starr15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you know youre nfl youll know that favre wont be good if he doesnt have a reicieving core so levernaius coles is all they have and he sucks quite alot

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea because Driver, Jennings & Jones are superstars lol. Are you kidding me? Jets have Equal talent at receiver 1 through 2 which is the most important and although unknown, their 3-4 will be just fine just like the Packers guys. Jets tight ends are a much better group. Jets O-line is MILES better than Green Bay and will give the Jets options that the Packers dont have. Jets running backs, Thomas Jones, Leon Johnson, Jesse Chatman, Tony Richardson are a better group as well and the drop off from 1 to 3 is not much. I know my nfl.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GreenBlood said:
dd80forever said:

As of Saturday, since the trade in 11-on-11 drills Rodgers was 42 of 54 with 4 TDs and a single INT, which resulted from Jones letting the ball slip through his hands.

Read and learn something:

Donald Driver said recently that the 220-pound Rodgers throws the ball harder than Favre:

http://www.bnd.com/508/story/428399.html

Any more questions?

Wow...after reading all of this information, I can hardly believe that this Rodgers guy didn't beat out Favre in practice the past few years. This is very encouraging news. I was expecting to read quotes from teammates that the new qb stinks compared to Brett. But I guess that secretly, everyone was in Rodgers corner all along!

pseudocide

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
Yea because Driver, Jennings & Jones are superstars lol. Are you kidding me? Jets have Equal talent at receiver 1 through 2 which is the most important and although unknown, their 3-4 will be just fine just like the Packers guys.
you might want to take that back before you get beaten over the head by greg jennings fans, jericho cotchery is a joke.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coles and Cotchery are good receivers, but lets not get carried away by saying that Jennings and Driver aren't top receivers. Both are solid catch and run players that any team would have at their 1 or 2. Our receiving core is much deeper than theirs, and I expect Brett's numbers to drop significantly from what they were last season. Most QB's in the league could have had a very good season with our offensive talent last year, which is why I'm not worried about putting Rodgers behind center one bit.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers looked a little shaky to me.

Threw a pick. Got sacked and hit a few times.

I doubt he lasts the season.

Brohm looked pretty good.

minnypacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Packer fans and many as Favre fans, we should be hoping the Jets do well with Brett. A playoff run gives us a #2 pick.

Also, why shouldn't we be happy for Brett. He has meant a gret deal to all of us. However I don't need an update on his daily progression in practice.

minnypacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:

Are you serious? Rodgerrs balls were thrown a little high...likely due to the huge adrenalin rush. Remember every time Brett got pumped, his trows were high as well, similar to a pitcher in baseball who over throws.

Everyone who broke down Rodgers raved about his mechanics, poise, etc. Brohm showed me nothing. In fact I am terrified that we have no vet backup...yet. This team desparately needs one because Brohm looks tiny...like Rodgers did two years ago. I liked Flynn's potential, but we have 2 #3 Qb's right now with no #2.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:

Pure trolling post right there. Congrats.

Members online

Latest posts