Favre is overrated

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll agree with Sal on only 2 on this list. Namath had one great prediction, and one great game. Beyond that to my knowledge he was always injured. (He retired the year I was born) Romo is well over-rated by EVERYONE. I live in Racine, Wi the county were Tony played H.S. ball, and I've heard about him since H.S.! This kid is horrible at best, and I'm surprised Jerry Jones hasn't figured that out YET!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll agree with Sal on only 2 on this list. Namath had one great prediction, and one great game. Beyond that to my knowledge he was always injured. (He retired the year I was born) Romo is well over-rated by EVERYONE. I live in Racine, Wi the county were Tony played H.S. ball, and I've heard about him since H.S.! This kid is horrible at best, and I'm surprised Jerry Jones hasn't figured that out YET!

What was namaths great game?

H

HardRightEdge

Namath is sui generis. It wasn't just a win, it was THE win. It legitimized the AFL. It was a launching pad for Namath to demonstrate the potential power and money in celebrity endorsements on a national scale. Before Namath the game was, metaphorically speaking, played in black in white. After, for good or ill, it became an in-color phenomenon.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
No I'm dead serious
I'd like to know as well. His Super Bowl game wasn't that great. 17/29 206 yards, 0 tds 0 ints. 80.53 rating.

Of course for him, that was 58% passing percentage, which is 8 points above his lifetime average. Maybe it was his best game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to know as well. His Super Bowl game wasn't that great. 17/29 206 yards, 0 tds 0 ints. 80.53 rating.

People like to perpetuate the myth of Broadway joe.

I was hoping they were talking about the Suzy game

H

HardRightEdge

People like to perpetuate the myth of Broadway joe.

Broadway Joe's Super Bowl win is hardly myth. In fact, the magnitude of that win has gradually faded over time. It was a watershed event, immediately known to be such at the time.

I take it you were not born at the time, were not paying attention, are blind to history, or can't muster appreciation for accomplishments not attached to the Packers.

It is a shame that fantasy football, particularly the leagues that play for money, are creating a class of fans who can't appreciate what goes into winning that cannot be measured in a stat. Stats are helpful; they are not the be all and end all.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broadway Joe's Super Bowl win is hardly myth. In fact, the magnitude of that win has gradually faded over time. It was a watershed event, immediately known to be such at the time.

I take it you were not born at the time, were not paying attention, are blind to history, or can't muster appreciation for accomplishments not attached to the Packers.

It is a shame that fantasy football, particularly the leagues that play for money, are creating a class of fans who can't appreciate what goes into winning that cannot be measured in a stat. Stats are helpful; they are not the be all and end all.

No, it's just that my standard for greatness is much higher than yours.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was great win, a great performance, a great moment...it reached beyond a game, beyond a season, beyond the sport.

So...you want to claim to hue to higher standard? In that case, I'd say you're a fool.

I think you are letting your feelings for broadway joe cloud the facts of the day where he was inefficient, didn't throw a TD, and didn't throw for 300 yards. Nothing about his play on the field was great.

Name call all you want, it speaks volumes.

H

HardRightEdge

I think you are letting your feelings for broadway joe cloud the facts of the day where he was inefficient, didn't throw a TD, and didn't throw for 300 yards. Nothing about his play on the field was great.

Name call all you want, it speaks volumes.
I don't have any particular feelings for Broadway Joe as a person. I can't say I'm a fan...I've been a Packer fan my entire life. I have an appreciation for an achievement and what it meant. As far as I'm concerned, failing to see into that is an insult to the game.

Bald claims of a holding to a MUCH higher standard is foolish, making the speaker of such a fool. If that's name calling, so be it. You have no high ground here.

Oh, I suppose one finds oneself interesting in taking a contrarian view, but it's pretty evident you were not there, did not see it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any particular feelings for Broadway Joe as a person. I can't say I'm a fan...I've been a Packer fan my entire life. I have an appreciation for an achievement and what it meant. As far as I'm concerned, failing to see into that is an insult to the game.

Bald claims of a holding to a MUCH higher standard is foolish, making the speaker of such a fool. If that's name calling, so be it. You have no high ground here.

Oh, I suppose one finds oneself interesting in taking a contrarian view, but it's pretty evident you were not there.

Yah, I guess greatness on the field is only evident to some people when they are present. And to others it just looks like a mediocre performance.

H

HardRightEdge

Yah, I guess greatness on the field is only evident to some people when they are present. And to others it just looks like a mediocre performance.

LOL. That's a last word I'm more than happy to grant.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe boldly guaranteed a win when no one gave the Jets a snowball's chance in hell of winning. he then delivered, giving the AFL legitimacy. he may not have thrown a touchdown, but the quarterback is still 'the man'. he leads his team to victory or off the cliff. his statement told his team he believed in them, gave them faith in themselves and faith in him. it may have been ultimately responsible for giving us the present day form of the NFL, just as the 'fail Mary' call gave us the real refs back. These are all things that don't show up on a stat sheet.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe boldly guaranteed a win when no one gave the Jets a snowball's chance in hell of winning. he then delivered, giving the AFL legitimacy. he may not have thrown a touchdown, but the quarterback is still 'the man'. he leads his team to victory or off the cliff. his statement told his team he believed in them, gave them faith in themselves and faith in him. it may have been ultimately responsible for giving us the present day form of the NFL, just as the 'fail Mary' call gave us the real refs back. These are all things that don't show up on a stat sheet.

Touchy feely things don't turn a mediocre game into a great one. I've never once had to resort to sentimental feelings to argue in favor of Rodgers having a great game.

The jets D deserves credit for the win alot more than Namath does.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm no Namath fan by any rights, but I'll do my best to set the record here:

1. When Whatthehellsgoingonouthere stated that Namath had one great prediction and one great game, my assumption is that the prediction was SB III but that the great game was the preceding AFL title game against the Raiders in which Joe threw for three touchdowns.

2. Namath was named the MVP of SB III, which leads me to believe that his performance during the game went beyond his stats. Before you tell me that the QB always wins the MVP - I'll trot out Trent Dilfer's name and the 2000 Ravens to assuage that notion.

3. Namath also had some decent throwing seasons, including 1967 when he was the first QB to break the 4,000 yard mark in a season. He was rookie of the year as well as a four time all-star.

4. Namath is in the NFL's hall of fame, despite throwing more interceptions than touchdowns. While he wasn't a first-ballot HOFer, he went in on his third or fourth year of eligibility.

So to me it seems that many of the NFL's observers view Namath as more important than just his stats or one great game. You can call it an inspirational career or one cut short by injury, but the consensus appears to be that he was a great player despite not having stats that shine in modern football's light.

H

HardRightEdge

This is a 1st...

A Favre thread that goes to Namath

OK, I'll put a twist on it that turns it back to a Packer topic.

It comes in the form of challenge for the above posters who punked Namath on the basis of his stats (you know who you are), or anybody else for that matter:

For the NFL HOF player linked below, either (1) make the case for his induction into the NFL Hall Fame or (2) make the case for why he should not have been inducted at all.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HornPa00.htm

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Let me put it this way. The only reason Namath is in the HOF is because of his win over the colts in the Third AFL-NFL Championship game. If they lose that game, he never makes it. 13 years. 3 winning seasons. 1967, 1968, 1969. You want to give him credit for that win, you have to give him credit for the all the losses. 62-63-4 career record. Impressive.

Namath is over rated.

H

HardRightEdge

Let me put it this way. The only reason Namath is in the HOF is because of his win over the colts in the Third AFL-NFL Championship game. If they lose that game, he never makes it. 13 years. 3 winning seasons. 1967, 1968, 1969. You want to give him credit for that win, you have to give him credit for the all the losses. 62-63-4 career record. Impressive.

Namath is over rated.

Namath may well be overrated as a passer of the football. That wasn't what was being debated here. The issues were (1) how significant was the SB III win and his contribution to it and (2) whether he should be in the HOF.

It is my assessment that Favre is overrated (wildly so by some Packer fans), that he played poorly in his one SB win, and squandered some other opportunities. It is also my assessment he should be in the HOF.

So, how about Hornung? Any thoughts? He had the one great season when he set the scoring record. What else?

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Touchy feely things don't turn a mediocre game into a great one. I've never once had to resort to sentimental feelings to argue in favor of Rodgers having a great game.

The jets D deserves credit for the win alot more than Namath does.
So I guess when Jay Cutler gets ragged on for his dejected body language or not appearing to show interest in his team that's "touchy-feely" and doesn't enter your equation. Unfortunately for you stat geeks there is plenty of evidence for people with leadership qualities inspiring those around them to greatness. As a long time manager I can attest to the effect my grace under pressure has on my staff. You can't measure it but if I lose it the rest of my team will and I will be out of a job. And comparing Rodgers to Namath isn't fair. Bart Starr is closest in efficiency to Rodgers, but I don't believe he ever threw for more than 2500 yards in a season. Different era, different rules favored defense back then. Now they favor the offense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts