Favre interview part 2

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am STUNNED

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/14/more-favre-comments.aspx

ON ASSISTANT COACH JAMES CAMPEN WHO VISITED FAVRE: "And he's caught in the middle of this, which he doesn't want to be caught in the middle of it. Yes, we are friends. We do talk. That's really how this whole thing got started, but, you know, that's not his job.

"He says, 'You know, I know they told you they're moving on and playing there's not an option. Playing here in Green Bay is not an
option, which that's what they want. They want to move on. But I'm telling you, if you reinstate or you force their hand, back them in a corner, they feel like they have no other option, they're going to accept you back."

"And he said, 'Just telling you.' And I said, 'OK.'

"...You know, I didn't want to go back there after that.
You know, and really already, after what Mike had told me when he said, 'Hey

Brett, I'm sorry, we've moved on,' that was OK. That was OK.'

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mutiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm accepting an 8-8 season at best now.

edit - wow. Brett sounds bitter and kinda shady to be honest. this is...wow.

ON A MEETING WITH TED THOMPSON AFTER THE NFL DRAFT:
"'You think it would be OK if we dismantled your locker and sent it to you?' 'I guess, Ted, you know. Don't know what I'll do with it, but sure.' I'm thinking surely he didn't fly all the way down here to tell me that and it just kind of gets quiet again and OK, and he says, 'Well, OK, if I want to talk, I guess I'm going to run.'

"We stand up, and he looks at me. And he says, 'Are you and I OK?' I said, 'Yes. Yes. Yes, I'm fine. Sure. No problem.' And that was it."

So Thompson made a special trip to discuss Favre's locker. Seems like a classy thing to do.

ON A MEETING WITH TED THOMPSON AFTER THE NFL DRAFT: "We make small talk for 45 minutes. How did the drive go? What about your guys? Pretty good. And then it kind of gets quiet and...- I'm thinking to myself, here we go.

Yes, that's the time when you say what's on your mind. Not when you're walking to the car as an AFTERTHOUGHT.

FAVRE AS HE WALKS THOMPSON TO HIS CAR: "But I told him as he walked to his car, I said, 'Ted, I just want to give you a heads-up that, hey, you know, say July rolls around, I wake up and I say, man, I made the wrong decision. I have to play. Or maybe it's June or whatever, I said, I just want you to have a plan.'

This...****** me off. "I just want you to have a plan." Are you kidding me?

ON HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THOMPSON: "And, you know, Ted and I, I thought, have always had a good relationship. We don't talk a whole lot, we don't go out and eat and shoot the bull. But on three different occasions -- I don't want to say lied, I think that's kind of a harsh word, but I think untruth or whatever is better."

They aren't lies, they're untruths! It depends on what your definition of "is" is! Favre should be a politician. I can't help but think of the behind the scene spinners in The West Wing. Either say he lied to your or not. Jesus Christ. Untruths!

ON THE CURRENT SITUATION: "Will I play somewhere else? Remains to be seen.

There was your chance. You had it. Right there. If you want to be traded or released, that was the spot. And no. Just a nice fluff interview with no real answers on the future, just you "defending yourself," which you don't like to do.

ON THE CURRENT SITUATION: All I'm saying is I called, not long ago, said I was really thinking about playing again, and here we are. It's escalated into something mind-boggling."

Exactly. Not long ago. That's one of the many problems you've caused Brett. If you did this late in March, it woulda been different. Oh wait, you did do it in march, but CHANGED YOUR MIND AGAIN! How dare the Packers future plans not be ones that include you changing your mind AGAIN and coming back to the team. But hey, you told them "I want you to have a plan" so it's not your fault. Thompson and McCarthy should have a huge ****ing warehouse of contingency plans according to what you're feeling that particular week.

I'm sad at this situation. Setting a jersey retirement date and sending you your locker wasn't enough of a subtle message? You had to be told they were moving on(which they then tell you)? Well...here it comes, boy. Here it comes.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me make sure I have this correct.

1. A coach tells Favre that he knows his boss has told him they are movig on.
2. Said coach also tells Brett that hey if you force them they'll take you wink wink.

Am I reading this right, and who's side am I on? Im lost now.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, Favre hasn't said definitively that he wants to play in the NFL right now. He's said that he wants to be released so he has the right to play or named starter on GB. If Favre really wanted to play, this would be a great time to say so. Yet, he didn't.

I really think Favre isn't 100% on playing, but he knows if he waits any longer then he will have lost any chance of playing for anyone. So, he's starting all this drama now to keep his options open should he decide he wants to play in 2-3 weeks.

This just reinforces the idea that Favre isn't really all that dedicated and that keeping Rodgers as the starter was the right move.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Brett just cost James Campen his job? What an incredible betrayal, for him to reveal the contents of a private conversation between him and Campen.

I think Favre is leaving Thompson little choice but to get rid of him RIGHT NOW. He is a cancer.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Did Brett just cost James Campen his job? What an incredible betrayal, for him to reveal the contents of a private conversation between him and Campen.

I think Favre is leaving Thompson little choice but to get rid of him RIGHT NOW. He is a cancer.

Woulda been nice if the last month just never happened.

KingPrawn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

That's the part that shocked me. Doubtful if that conversation took place and if it did, it speaks volumes about Favre. He claims James Campen is a friend but he so quickly and willingly throws him under the bus. Even if that conversation took place, there is no reason Favre needed to mention other then to make himself look good at Campen's expense..

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow..................this just goes way too far. Who is this guy. Sure doesn't sound like the #4 we've known and followed so avidly over 16 seasons. I don't know...............this isn't good.

Good point on the fact that he never said once that he's ready and willing to give 100% anywhere. Does he really want to play again, or is he just trying to make a point and call out the Packers. This sounds like total sour grapes.

I think TT actually went down there and asked about the locker thing as a way to really feel him out and make sure he wasn't going to do this again, as other years. I think if #4 would have said, no, why don't you wait a while before you send me the locker, maybe I'll make a comeback, TT would have probably said, OK we'll wait, take as much time as you want.

The whole issue about, they told him in March they wanted and answer before free agency ended and before the draft, was fair on their part, they've been put against the wall for too many years, waiting for him to make a decision.

Frankly, from my perspective, it IS time to move on. Lets find out what this Rogers kid can do.

By the sound of it, Brett will not be on a field anywhere this season, UNLESS, he first asks for reinstatement, and second shows up at training camp in Green Bay.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, Favre hasn't said definitively that he wants to play in the NFL right now. He's said that he wants to be released so he has the right to play or named starter on GB. If Favre really wanted to play, this would be a great time to say so. Yet, he didn't.

I really think Favre isn't 100% on playing, but he knows if he waits any longer then he will have lost any chance of playing for anyone. So, he's starting all this drama now to keep his options open should he decide he wants to play in 2-3 weeks.

This just reinforces the idea that Favre isn't really all that dedicated and that keeping Rodgers as the starter was the right move.
Yup.....this i MIGHT want to play sure isn't a solid decision, is it? Yet the Packers are being made out to be the bad guys.
I never thought Favre would do this stuff.
And the deal with Campen.........telling that stuff like that........you don't do that to a "friend" that has told you inside info to try to help you. The bus has run over Campen, backed up, and ran over him again.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I hear him talk and read the things he is saying the more I am hearing a guy that has taken acception to the results his "feelers" produced so he made a decision to make a power play move because it pissed him off.
He seems to be saying "even if all I'm saying is MAYBE I want to come back" I, because I am Brett Favre, should have everyone at my feet, begging me to do so. Forget how many times I was let back in or the fact the season is right around the corner.

I'm THINKING ABOUT IT! That should be all you need to hear.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's PFT's take on part II

FAVRE SLAMS THOMPSON IN PART TWO OF INTERVIEW
Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2008, 10:52 a.m.
Packers G.M. Ted Thompson might have been feeling neglected while he watched on Monday night Part One of the Brett Favre interview. After all, it was coach Mike McCarthy and not Thompson who was mentioned most often by Brett, primarily with respect to the perceived effort to force him to decide whether to retire in March and then with respect to the attempt to persuade him not to press for a chance to return with another team in June.

But Thompson gets his share of attention, in Part Two.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Favre slams Thompson in the segment that will air Tuesday night on Fox News, and Favre points to three incidents that caused him to not trust Thompson.

First was Favre’s desire that the team add receiver Randy Moss in 2007. We reported, numerous times, that Favre was actively lobbying the team to acquire Moss after two failed seasons with the Raiders. There was also a rumor that the team’s failure to try to land the star receiver, who revived his career in a big way with the Patriots last season, prompted Favre to make noise about leaving the team. Though it’s still unclear whether the latter proposition is accurate, it’s now obvious that Favre wanted Moss — and that Favre didn’t appreciate Thompson’s decision not to be honest about that fact with the public.

“I worked my butt off . . . to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” Favre told Fox News.

Second, Favre says he tried to get Thompson to re-sign guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, both of whom left via free agency.

Third, Favre pushed hard for Thompson to consider hiring former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci, but Thompson rebuffed Brett, hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

“[N]one of those had anything to do with me retiring once again,” Favre says, “but, you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another. And so — and that’s part of the reason for the [request for a] release.”

So Favre didn’t retire from the Packers because of mistrust for Thompson, but now Favre wants out in part because he doesn’t trust Thompson.

But, Brett, didn’t you say you want out because the Packers told you that they don’t want you to play?

More importantly, Brett, when did you become the quarterback/General Manager of the Packers?

Maybe we finally understand why Favre kept quiet for so long on this topic. Now that he’s opening his mouth, he’s sounding like an idiot.

Regarding this apparent effort to smear Thompson by dredging up outdated and irrelevant ****** and/or moans, Favre needs to realize that he hasn’t always been truthful, either. On July 2, for example, he said that the talk of his desire to return is “rumor” and that there’s “[n]o reason for it.”

So before Brett says “you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another,” Favre should ask “this guy” in the mirror whether he has been doing the very same thing

I really agree with the bolded portion.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more the guy opens his mouth, the more disappointed in him I become.

It almost seems as though he is doing his best to sabotage AR's career, and the Packers in doing so, to validate his own greatness.

Sad.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
favre said he understands that the team moved. he said he wants to go to another team because the packers dont want him any more. i dont see anything wrong with that. they should release him or trade him and they are not even willing to do that. so in my opinion its the packers that are at fault. they dont want him to play for the packers and they dont want him to play for anyone else, thats kind of shady.

WHAT THE f&ck IS THIS WE MOVED ON BULL ****, IF ONE OF THE BEST QBS IN FOOT BALL WANTS TO PLAY AGAIN I WOULD GLADLY MAKE HIM THE STARTER AGAIN.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
favre said he understands that the team moved. he said he wants to go to another team because the packers dont want him any more. i dont see anything wrong with that. they should release him or trade him and they are not even willing to do that. so in my opinion its the packers that are at fault. they dont want him to play for the packers and they dont want him to play for anyone else, thats kind of shady.

Did you miss the TRADE thread?

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Umair -

If they truly thought BF was a better option of AR, wouldn't they be begging for his return?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Favres became the Green Bay Packers again.

and several fans and Brett himself can't/don't want to deal with it.

Love stinks.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Umair -

If they truly thought BF was a better option of AR, wouldn't they be begging for his return?

you you're telling me that AR is a better option than favre?? he has not done anything to prove that. i agree that brett is a fault for what he did but he should be able to come back and be the starter because he has a better chance of winning. favre played really well last season and i dont think his skills will decrease so quickly.

why can't they just let the 2 fight it out for the starter position?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Umair -

Right!!!!! Brett Favre is washed up!!!!!! He hasn't done a damn thing since 96.

Hell if it wasnt't for the defense that year we would have neve made the play-offs.

The guy is a has-been, I don't understand why TT just doesn't throw him to the curb.
I can't understand why he has let him stay around for these last 3 years!!! Nothing but a self-absorded prima donna who has never put the team first!!!!
Nobody wants a washed up 38 yr old qb'ing their team.

C'MON TT GET IT OVER WITH. RELEASE THE OLD GUY SO HE CAN GO BACK HOME AND BE FORGOTTON.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and what has ar done ever since he came to the packers?

let me answer that for you, NOTHING!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chevelle2 said:
Umair -

you you're telling me that AR is a better option than favre?? he has not done anything to prove that. i agree that brett is a fault for what he did but he should be able to come back and be the starter because he has a better chance of winning. favre played really well last season and i dont think his skills will decrease so quickly.

why can't they just let the 2 fight it out for the starter position?

do you actually think Brett Favre would accept competing for a starting spot? I don't. that would be sooooooo beneath him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'd beat Rodgers out right now. 100%. BUT, if they came up to him and said, "We'll have you back, but you have to compete for the starting spot", I think he'd tell them to go screw themselves. But, I don't think they'd have asked him to do that if he would've come back when he first decided to in June or April or whenever. Now, I don't think they'd give him the opportunity to win the starting spot because they're fed up with him.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you are right they have not asked him and they also said he cant play anywhere else. does that seem fair to you?

Members online

Latest posts