Favre Interview at end of the game.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To see the way Favre almost broke out in tears at the end of the game really makes me think that he wont be back next year.

PLEASE COME BACK BRETT!

what are your guys thoughts?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To see the way Favre almost broke out in tears at the end of the game really makes me think that he wont be back next year.

PLEASE COME BACK BRETT!

what are your guys thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing. However, he'll start thinking in the offseason and he'll change his mind. Or at least I hope.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he comes back. I think he should but after that I think he's retiring. In fact I think he'll announce it before the Super Bowl. If it was what a way to go out. Beating the Lions, Vikings, and Bears.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was coming back. Now I'm uncertain. I'm sure coming from 4-8 to 8-8 and beating their fiercest rival on the road, with nothing to play for was emotional for Brett. I think that's why he was so visably emotional.

Look at it this way, he's having ankle surgery tomorrow. That leads me too believe he hasn't made up his mind yet...

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it was interesting. I really want him to give it one more year and do a farewell tour. The Packers just need a little more help and they can be a serious contender.

Reaction score
It looked like that was indeed the end...

I don't think he's certain of retiring, but he's leaning heavily towards it and the tears were because he was thinking this is probably it.

One thing he said that makes me think he's finished his wonderful career was pointing out his daughters are getting older and his oldest one is entering her senior year and he wants to spend time with them, and he said hello to them during the interview..... I think that was when I realized he is done; his willingness to put in effort during the week leading up to the game has taken a back seat to his will to spend time with his family.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was coming back. Now I'm uncertain. I'm sure coming from 4-8 to 8-8 and beating their fiercest rival on the road, with nothing to play for was emotional for Brett. I think that's why he was so visably emotional.

Look at it this way, he's having ankle surgery tomorrow. That leads me too believe he hasn't made up his mind yet...

The ankle surgery definitely keeps the non-retirement option open.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the interview sure makes it seem like he is retiring but with the way they ended the season and having another receiving threat in K-Rob back next year I am hoping he will come back. He still has alot left in the tank and can set a couple major records.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me the thing that makes me think that he won't come back was the way he played tonight. He played like a man possessed and one who really wanted to beat his most hated rival in a venue he's owned over the years.

Reaction score
But he's having surgery tomorrow. If he was going to retire, why not wait? What would be the hurry?

I think he's pretty sure he'll call it quits, but he wants to give himself the option of coming back if his mind changes. That's why he is doing the surgery ASAP, to let it heal and not hinder him in coming back for a final year if he chooses.... but like I said before I think in his mind he believes that was probably it.

Reaction score
For me the thing that makes me think that he won't come back was the way he played tonight. He played like a man possessed and one who really wanted to beat his most hated rival in a venue he's owned over the years.

Not only that TOP, but the team had something extra, one which in a small manner was similar to the MNF game @ Oakland. They were trying their hardest, and I'd have to believe he'd have told the guys what he intended to do.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't anybody learn anything from last year? I was more certain last year was his last after his farewell show in Lambeau, and ceremoniously handing the ball to Rodgers.

There is no way that man is ready to, or should retire. He is still top 5 in the league with $11M to be made. We have a good shot to make the playoffs, and Marino's records await. The difference between Favre, and Marino and Elway is that they were broken down at the end of their careers and Favre is not.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember either Michaels or Madden, I think it was Michaels, who mentioned that the Packers might be interested in Tony G. Imagine Driver, Jennings, KRob, R Martin, and Tony G to throw to. I really hope Favre comes back.

R Martin surprised me. Did you all see that one jump? He looked like Javon Walker on that one catch.

As for the stat, the one that I want to see Favre holding is the most wins. All he needs is one to tie Elway and two to break Elway's which should happen on game 2 next year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who is Tony G.?

Tony Gonzalez. Here's his stats:
+-------------------------+
| Receiving |
+----------+-----+-------------------------+
| Year TM | G | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 1997 kan | 16 | 33 368 11.2 2 |
| 1998 kan | 16 | 59 621 10.5 2 |
| 1999 kan | 15 | 76 849 11.2 11 |
| 2000 kan | 16 | 93 1203 12.9 9 |
| 2001 kan | 16 | 73 917 12.6 6 |
| 2002 kan | 16 | 63 773 12.3 7 |
| 2003 kan | 16 | 71 916 12.9 10 |
| 2004 kan | 16 | 102 1258 12.3 7 |
| 2005 kan | 16 | 78 905 11.6 2 |
| 2006 kan | 14 | 71 879 12.4 5 |
| TOTAL | 157 | 719 8689 12.1 61 |

Among the league's all-time top 50
Receptions: 24
Receiving yards: 50

He turned 30 this year.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Already stories about if this is it from NFL.Com

Favre gets a win, but is he leaving?

NFL.com wire reports

CHICAGO (Dec. 31, 2006) -- After shredding the Chicago Bears' first-team defense in an otherwise meaningless 26-7 victory for the Green Bay Packers, Brett Favre certainly sounded like a man who was ready to leave the game.

Standing on the 20-yard line with a group of teammates, Favre got choked up during a TV interview, saying he would decide "soon" whether he would return next season.

"It's tough. It's tough," Favre said. "I'm going to miss these guys and miss the game."

Still, Favre stopped short of saying he would retire. And the prevailing sentiment seems to be, why wouldn't he return?

After a fairly successful season in which he helped the Packers rebound from last year's 4-12 fiasco -- their first losing season with Favre under center -- to win their final four games and finish 8-8, teammates, opponents and even Favre's own family have said that they see no reason why he should retire.

He still has milestone to pursue: After completing 21 of 42 passes for 285 yards and a touchdown, Favre is only seven touchdown passes shy of breaking Dan Marino's career mark of 420. With the Packers' victory, Favre tied Marino for No. 2 in career victories (147) and is only one away from tying John Elway for the record.

And unlike last offseason, Favre won't have to decide whether he wants to play for a new coach and learn a new offense.

But while Favre maintains that he still enjoys loves to play, he doesn't seem quite as convinced as everybody else that he should keep playing. He exchanged handshakes and hugs with teammates before he was pulled in favor of backup quarterback Ingle Martin with less than two minutes remaining in the game.

Favre's left ankle has been bothering him since before the beginning of training camp and likely will require surgery in the offseason. He has hinted that the weekly grind of practices are beginning to wear him down.

Beyond that, Favre has said that he isn't pleased with the way he played this season, and doesn't buy the idea that the Packers have made as much progress as their late-season success might indicate.

On Dec. 29, Favre said the Packers still have "a long ways to go, and I don't have that much time."

Favre has said that he knows the team would like to have a decision as soon as possible, but maintains that he won't rush things. Favre waited until late April to inform the team that he was returning for this season.

Under first-year coach Mike McCarthy, Favre played more conservatively, cutting his interception total from a career-worst 29 last season to only 18 this season.

Favre wasn't flashy but was extremely efficient against Chicago, embarrassing the Bears despite not having No. 2 receiver Greg Jennings, who was inactive. In Jennings' absence, wide receiver Ruvell Martin caught seven passes for 118 yards.

In a conference call with the Green Bay media, Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher said he doubted Favre would hang it up.

"I hear that every year," Urlacher said. "When he retires, you know, thank goodness for us. But until then, I don't see why he wouldn't come back. He's had a pretty good year this year, they're winning games, he's playing well, their defense is playing well. I mean, I don't see why he wouldn't come back. So I'm definitely not counting on this being his last game."

Favre's teammates are generally working on the assumption that Favre will be back -- or, at least, that he should be back.

"I see no signs of Brett leaving, honestly," Packers linebacker Nick Barnett said recently. "He hasn't told us. I think if it was his last game, he would have told us. I see him coming back. Especially with so much potential we have coming into this next year."

Favre knows everybody sees the reasons why he should come back, but only his immediate family members see the way a difficult season really wears on him. The Packers were 1-4 and 4-8 at various points this season.

Then again, even his immediate family wants him to play.

"They've been a little quieter this year, but I'm sure they want me to play for the most part," Favre said. "From the outside looking in, even from the family standpoint, it's easy to say, 'Aw, go back and play.' Because as with most people, you really see the three hours of enjoyment or whatever -- the game. You don't really see all the other stuff."

So will he be back? Favre insists he really doesn't know.

"In some ways, I felt like, 'Yeah, why not give it another shot?"' Favre said. "In other ways, most ways, I've done a lot in this game, have had a lot of success individually and as a team that there's nothing left really out there for me. And I know sometimes people say, 'Come back and go out on top,' or all that stuff. But what if you don't?"

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, the tight end...lol. I thought he was some rookie draft pick at first.

Yeah, having a reliable TE would be awesome! Hopefully TT will make a run at him.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"It's tough. It's tough," Favre said. "I'm going to miss these guys and miss the game."

that statement kind of says that he might retire. :(

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With nothing to play for? They were TRYING to beat us that first half and after it was 23-0 they gave up.

Members online

Latest posts