Favre hasn't filed paperwork

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
linky dinky:

When quarterback Brett Favre turns in his retirement papers, the Green Bay Packers will strike $11.4 million from payroll and quite possibly lead the National Football League in available salary cap room.

Favre has not yet filed his official papers, however, and it's unclear when he will. His agent, James "Bus" Cook, said he had no idea where Favre was in the process of filing the paperwork that would finalize his retirement.

"We don't need the cap room," Thompson said of the delay.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like how Thompson handled that though. Personally, it annoys the **** out of me(unless he un-retires, which he won't, so it annoys the **** out of me).

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"General manager Ted Thompson, however, said he had no concerns about the fact the papers had not been filed and was letting Favre handle that at his own discretion."

My gut feeling is.... Eventually... Brett will wear another uniform in the N.F.L.

Call it a Mr. Monk Moment.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I like how Thompson handled that though. Personally, it annoys the **** out of me(unless he un-retires, which he won't, so it annoys the **** out of me).

Why would it annoy the crap out of you?

Many players take there time filing the papers.. it will get down when it gets done.. it isn't like we are knocking on FA doors and strapped for cap room... patience. :thumbsup:

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
"General manager Ted Thompson, however, said he had no concerns about the fact the papers had not been filed and was letting Favre handle that at his own discretion."

My gut feeling is.... Eventually... Brett will wear another uniform in the N.F.L.

Call it a Mr. Monk Moment.

I seriously want to punch you in the face right now...ok, just kidding. :lol:

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Why would it annoy the crap out of you?

Many players take there time filing the papers.. it will get down when it gets done.. it isn't like we are knocking on FA doors and strapped for cap room... patience. :thumbsup:

Many players take their time...how many players have 11 million dollars attached? K.

He said he's done, and I believe him. I just wish he would take the time to do the paperwork. Is it too much to ask? Is it really? :thumbsup:

Pack93z

Reaction score
Many players take their time...how many players have 11 million dollars attached? K.

He said he's done, and I believe him. I just wish he would take the time to do the paperwork. Is it too much to ask? Is it really? :thumbsup:

Could it be that Favre and Ted have this little issue discussed out and actually keeping the contract on the books at this point to keep us above the mininum salary threshold?

Favre won't recieve another penny of that salary so really there is nothing to complain or be wound up about, is there? Nope didn't think so. :D

Relax.. just pushin your buttons a little.. I know this particular issue would get under your skin... :p

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Favre won't recieve another penny of that salary so really there is nothing to complain or be wound up about, is there? Nope didn't think so. :D

I know Favre won't get another penny, that's not the issue. The issue is moving on. A-Rod is ready to go, the team is ready to go, but...11 million dollars held up for no reason? C'mon now.

Sure it's very easy to say it's not a big deal cuz Thompson isn't known for breaking the bank with big money free agent signings, but is that any reason to hold things up?

Brett, put the gun and beer down, climb out of the tractor for 5 minutes, sign the papers, then commence the drinking and killing.

Is it asking too much?

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
tromadz said:

I know Favre won't get another penny, that's not the issue. The issue is moving on. A-Rod is ready to go, the team is ready to go, but...11 million dollars held up for no reason? C'mon now.

Sure it's very easy to say it's not a big deal cuz Thompson isn't known for breaking the bank with big money free agent signings, but is that any reason to hold things up?

Brett, put the gun and beer down, climb out of the tractor for 5 minutes, sign the papers, then commence the drinking and killing.

Is it asking too much?

I agree. There is no reason why he shouldn't go ahead and fill them, unless it's something with the cap, but I highly doubt that.

Just get it done man! Yeah, it may not be hurting us AT ALL, but why not just do it?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Favre's gonna do the actual paperwork. His agents secretary will fill out the form and fax it to Favre to sign. The Pack couldn't care less about this.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Favre's gonna do the actual paperwork. His agents secretary will fill out the form and fax it to Favre to sign. The Pack couldn't care less about this.

Yeah, who needs guaranteed money in the middle of free agency.

I'm sure there's some guys on the team(Ryan Grant) who would like to see Favre sign the papers so Thompson can sign FAs and give current hardworking players extensions.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm sure there's some guys on the team(Ryan Grant) who would like to see Favre sign the papers so Thompson can sign FAs and give current hardworking players extensions.

Yeah, I'm sure the Favre paperwork is really holding up the big money extension Ryan Grant wants...

We have plenty of cap room to sign whatever FA's we want.

I'm chalking this all up to the fact that its a slow month for news. If the Pack needed this space that badly, they'd have it by now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we under the cap spending limit??? I think we still have to sign some more guys (probably draft picks to get over the correct number.)

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Yeah, I'm sure the Favre paperwork is really holding up the big money extension Ryan Grant wants...

Just an example off the top of my head.

We already missed out on the likes of Moss(not that it would have happened), but now we have to wait for money that should already be in the bank. The fact that a retired player is causing ANY type of inconvenience to a team is bushleague.

It's just frustrating and there's NO reason for it. NONE.

God Im gonna miss Favre. Who will I get to vilify when he EVENTUALLY retires?

DoddPower

Reaction score
tromadz said:

We have plenty of cap room to sign whatever FA's we want.

I'm chalking this all up to the fact that its a slow month for news. If the Pack needed this space that badly, they'd have it by now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we under the cap spending limit??? I think we still have to sign some more guys (probably draft picks to get over the correct number.)

It's not so much that the team NEEDS the money, it's just more of the principle. It's just like, why not get it done? And of course Favre isn't going to be doing the actual paperwork himself, that's rhetorical. It just doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't just get it done instead of letting things hang around. It's not that big of a deal either way, but hopefully it gets done soon, because it just makes sense.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist so keep that in mind when I say this. I think there is a bigger riff between Ted Thompson and Brett Favre than any of us will ever know. I get the distinct feeling that there is zero love loss between those two guys. When I see something as simple as filling out the retirement paper work to free up 11 million dollars not getting done, that sends me all sorts of messages. Filling out the paper work is a simple procedure and why in the world wouldn't you do that so that your money is now available to the team you spent 16 years with, unless you're pissed at them. I seriously doubt Brett will ever play for another team, but just maybe there is more to his decision to retire than he gave.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Brett thinks much of Ted Thompson either packedhouse.
I think he is taking the opportunity to make the **** GM squirm a bit.
It's not hurting the team or the fans so why not play one last prank.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the possibility that by working some type of deal, GB is able to have Brett on the roster until a ceremony at Lambeau during the season, and then is able to move his salary or the majority of it into 09'.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conspiritors! Conspirators!

Can't it be that maybe Ted might just have said, Hey Brett, I know it was a tough decision and you might not even be 100% comfortable with it even though you announced it (buyer remorse?), there is no hurry for the cap relief. So just take your time and send the paperwork later this summer when you feel comfortable with your decision.

Could it be that he really has no problem with Ted and Vice Versa? Do we have to assume the worst all the time?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Can't it be that maybe Ted might just have said, Hey Brett, I know it was a tough decision and you might not even be 100% comfortable with it even though you announced it (buyer remorse?), there is no hurry for the cap relief. So just take your time and send the paperwork later this summer when you feel comfortable with your decision.

Could it be that he really has no problem with Ted and Vice Versa? Do we have to assume the worst all the time?

Tripp you are thinking with reason and logic and no insider information!

Pack93z

Reaction score

Come on now, that doesn't make Favre the villian in that senerio.. you know Favre has to stick it to the Packers again.. even though they have 20 plus million in cap room he is holding them hostage and not allowing us to rework the deals of the deserving players..

Let the guy have a little time to file the papers.. this is really alot to do about nothing.. that cap room isn't even a concern at this point with 20 + still available for the front office to do whatever they would like.

It is something like FA the past couple of years in Green Bay.. we have months and months before training camp even rolls around.. why the worry, there is plenty of time. Unless that isn't the issue, oooops, by George I think there is more emotion than fact in this complaint.

Reaction score

By the same token, shouldn't you have made a thread about Rob Davis not signing his retirement papers?

See he isn't coming back, he's going to take a staff job with the Packers, and can't do that until he files his retirement papers. Yet he hasn't. Is there really a big concern over Davis not doing that?

Honestly trom the example you used is terrible on the best of days. Do you think Grant and other players eligible for extensions, the players that are currently at off-season workouts, would actually be thinking about their contract situations and getting mad at Favre, or be busy with the off-season stuff and not really give a damn about when Favre files his retirement papers?

I think it's the latter.

Reaction score

That's making a claim you shouldn't be making trom.

I'm going to throw this out there: Let's say Brett's wife has had her cancer return (God forbid). I know it was only a rumour, but if there was some truth to that rumour than can you really blame Favre for not having "filling retirement papers" on the top of his to-do list?

It could very well be that Favre has been busy with some personal matters to take care of, or something of that nature that has made the filling of retirement papers not the most important thing for him to do at the moment.

Unless your Brett Favre's brother, or close family member, you claiming there is "NO reason for it" is BS.

I can understand you were mad at Brett for his play, but for the love of all that is right don't get worked up over a nothing issue, one that Ted himself has implied is irrelevant.

DoddPower

Reaction score
all about da packers said:

That's making a claim you shouldn't be making trom.

I'm going to throw this out there: Let's say Brett's wife has had her cancer return (God forbid). I know it was only a rumour, but if there was some truth to that rumour than can you really blame Favre for not having "filling retirement papers" on the top of his to-do list?

It could very well be that Favre has been busy with some personal matters to take care of, or something of that nature that has made the filling of retirement papers not the most important thing for him to do at the moment.

Unless your Brett Favre's brother, or close family member, you claiming there is "NO reason for it" is BS.

I can understand you were mad at Brett for his play, but for the love of all that is right don't get worked up over a nothing issue, one that Ted himself has implied is irrelevant.

Well, like was mentioned early, it's not like Favre himself has to really take more then 5 seconds to sign a piece of paper while his agents do all the work. It's not going to take any of Favre's time, essentially. And as I mentioned earlier, it's not so much how it affects any contracts of cap space, it's just the principle. Hmmm, what a concept, if you retire, RETIRE. Don't just have way do something, do it. That's the Favre way.

As for the Rob David thing, of course we should discuss that. However, he is no where near the level of interest as Brett Favre and it should be pretty self-explanatory why we're not sitting around talking about Davis' contract. Plus, it's not 11 million either.

But, I do agree with you on one thing. If Thompson doesn't care, then neither will . . . . I . . . I suppose.

In Thompson we trust!!

Pack93z

Reaction score
During the quiet time before the draft, someone was going to ink a story like this.. didn't take long either.. it really must be slow for stories..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7951584/Favre-hasn't-filed-...-is-it-just-a-formality??CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

When Brett Favre finally called it a career earlier this off-season, he certainly gave the impression that he wasn't having any second thoughts about riding off into the sunset.

But almost a month later, Favre still hasn't taken the final step to make his retirement official. He hasn't filed his retirement papers with the NFL Management Council.

I am curious about Favre not filing his retirement papers. What if he got all emotional about the Packers not making a second attempt at signing Randy Moss — this playoff team is so far under the salary cap it's ridiculous — that he simply became frustrated and quit? People can make some strange decisions when they get mad about something.

Couple that with his feeling that Coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson weren't exactly begging him to return for another season, and I can see Favre making a knee-jerk reaction. When he retired, Favre said it was tough living up to his image. But even after 17 seasons, he was a top-five quarterback last season. He can still play.

I wrote before that McCarthy seems quite willing to move on without Favre. Aaron Rodgers needs to play before he reaches free agency. But you can bet that neither McCarthy nor Thompson wanted to be known as the men who nudged Favre out of Green Bay. That would amount to political suicide throughout Wisconsin.

The next move belongs to Favre.

If Favre doesn't file his retirement papers pretty soon, the only conclusion is that he is having second thoughts and still wants to play. How wild is that? Well, it isn't totally crazy because retirement is the toughest decision in sports; it's why grown men cry at those press conferences, knowing they will never again play the game that they've loved for years.

But if Favre wants to play, will he force himself back onto the Packers? Or will he ask for his release?

I hate to say this, but Thompson would never give Favre his unconditional release. He can't afford to have Favre playing somewhere else; it's just bad politics.

But, to be honest, if Favre really wants to play again, he would be better off on a team like Baltimore or Tampa Bay, a playoff-caliber team that needs a quarterback shot in the arm. We all know it would simply be a one- or two-year stint.

In the past, whenever a trade seemed to make sense, Favre always said that he'd retire before finishing his career somewhere else. He was old-fashioned; he wanted to keep his legacy intact.

The next move is Brett's. File those papers and the speculation ends. But until he does, fans must wonder what he's really thinking.

Members online