Favre Considering Comeback (***July 2nd BREAKING***)

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a question for all.

Had Favre not retired or even talked about it after last season, would he be the starter coming into training camp? Whya does his retireing and unretiring affect that?

Scenerio: Ladanian Thomlinson is a free agent and wants to come to GB for one or two years. Do you give him the starting job and put Grant on the bench? absolutely.

the best player plays....the second best player sits...that's football. If Rodgers can't handle it (I think he can) then he is not mentally strong enough for me to put the future of my franchise on his shoulders.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And packnic, saying Favre is done because of one game after a great season is absurd.

As absurd as assuming Rodger will be great becasue of one half of a football game.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And packnic, saying Favre is done because of one game after a great season is absurd.

As absurd as assuming Rodger will be great becasue of one half of a football game.

I never said Rodgers will be great. I have no idea.

Favre is done. He retired. You might not have gotten the memo.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will tell you what I want. (What I really,really, want.)

A Brett Come Back.

With the Vikings.

Brett starting in purple against Aaron Monday September 8th- 7PM EST. At his own good-bye party in Green Bay.

Sorry.... I just love good theatre. There would be no finer theatre than that.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

Never said you proclaimed Rodgers would be great.

Got the Memo. Also got the memo he might come back.

I don't care if he retired and unretired 15 times. If he can help us win this year then I want him. this is our best chance to get to the SB.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I will tell you what I want. (What I really,really, want.)

A Brett Come Back.

With the Vikings.

Brett starting in purple against Aaron Monday September 8th- 7PM EST. At his own good-bye party in Green Bay.

Sorry.... I just love good theatre. There would be no finer theatre than that.

Well if that plays out.. TT will have become the evil face of the Packers in a good portion of the Packer fans eyes.. I hate to say it, but in the like of Danny Devine..

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
trippster said:

I don't care if he retired and unretired 15 times. If he can help us win this year then I want him. this is our best chance to get to the SB.

so you have no problem with Brett Favre being more important than the Packers? I'm with you, I want whats best for this team. I just think that everytime he toys with retirement it hurts the Packers. We have been through a major part of the offseason planning in a different direction... and if Brett comes back we have to re do everything for him.

I just don't think its right to retire, wait a couple months then tell everyone to hold off on their plans because you might wanna come back. Favre is becoming more known for his flip-flops on retirements than on anything he has done in his amazing career.

There is no good that can come of this now.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
Packnic said:
trippster said:

so you have no problem with Brett Favre being more important than the Packers? I'm with you, I want whats best for this team. I just think that everytime he toys with retirement it hurts the Packers. We have been through a major part of the offseason planning in a different direction... and if Brett comes back we have to re do everything for him.

I just don't think its right to retire, wait a couple months then tell everyone to hold off on their plans because you might wanna come back. Favre is becoming more known for his flip-flops on retirements than on anything he has done in his amazing career.

Tripp, what would a comeback now do to the locker room chemistry. There are some players, like Harris, who have openly said that they would welcome him back. There are others, like Rodgers, who would obviously resent him for it. Lines would be drawn, and you would have a divided locker room.

You don't think it bothers players that Fav-re can act above the standard for the rest of the NFL? Football is bigger than Fav-re.

Pack93z

Reaction score
You don't think it bothers players that Fav-re can act above the standard for the rest of the NFL? Football is bigger than Fav-re.

Well then.. why should the NFL allow repeat offenders of criminal law to come back and play again?

Don't their actions speak that they think they are above the game?

The game is based on fans, fans are growing sick of players walking all over the law and yet we don't blink an eye when they are allowed to play again?

Teammates should be pissed that they did something that broke the law and they could help their team along.

In the end, aren't they in a way saying they are bigger than the game?

No, they are not.. they make bad choice, decisions or act on emotions at times, like most humans do.. so why would Favre's indecision be any different?

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:

Well then.. why should the NFL allow repeat offenders of criminal law to come back and play again?

Don't their actions speak that they think they are above the game?

The game is based on fans, fans are growing sick of players walking all over the law and yet we don't blink an eye when they are allowed to play again?

Teammates should be pissed that they did something that broke the law and they could help their team along.

In the end, aren't they in a way saying they are bigger than the game?

No, they are not.. they make bad choice, decisions or act on emotions at times, like most humans do.. so why would Favre's indecision be any different?

I don't think that there is any valid comparison between the situation Fav-re and the Packers are in and players who break the law. And I do object to serious offenders being allowed to play again.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I don't think that there is any valid comparison between the situation Fav-re and the Packers are in and players who break the law. And I do object to serious offenders being allowed to play again.

Okay then.. in your opinion.. how has Favre acted like he was above the NFL?

Has he tranished the good name of the NFL?

Has he violated any contracts of the NFL?

Does he put on a show that he is bigger than his team or the NFL, ala TO, Chad Johnson, or such by bringing the attention to himself?

He is a normal human, struggling with aging and the gravitational pull of his family verus something he loves to do.. which is playing ball.

I don't see where he is placing himself above the team or the NFL, other than if he wants to continue to be an active part.. that is if there is any substance to the overworked story?

My correlation of the convicted offender.. their actions put themselves for the moment and time ahead of their team.. which is normal, since it is their life they are living.. different plain.. but Favre not only has to live with this decision today, but also the rest of his days...

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Had Favre not retired or even talked about it after last season, would he be the starter coming into training camp? Whya does his retireing and unretiring affect that?

Scenerio: Ladanian Thomlinson is a free agent and wants to come to GB for one or two years. Do you give him the starting job and put Grant on the bench? absolutely.

the best player plays....the second best player sits...that's football. If Rodgers can't handle it (I think he can) then he is not mentally strong enough for me to put the future of my franchise on his shoulders.

When Joe Montana came back from injury..he was still a better player than Steve Young was at the time. BUT..the 49ers made the decision to move on..and said their FUTURE was with YOUNG.

AND keep in mind..Steve Young had not done much either when Montana came back. He only started accomplishing things until Montana left.

So again..there were people who thought it was ABSURD to give up on Montana (who one a FEW more superbowls than Favre by the way), but
the 49ers had to think of their future.

Now again before people say Aaron is not Steve Young....
At the time the 49ers didn't know Steve Young would be a hall of famer
BUT they saw enough to see that they wanted to MOVE ON
w/him instead of Montana.

So history is repeating itself.

AND for the record. STEVE YOUNG himself..when HE retired..had the ITCH to come back. And when he was trying to come back..the 49ers also had MOVED ON to Jeff Garcia..(who went to the probowl that year).

Teams have to move on and think of their future. Great players think of their own careers. It's natural guys.

SO don't blame the team to move on past their great players. And I don't blame Favre for the itch. This is just the natural order of things.
BUT the outcome is never gonna be pretty.

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just curious as to what viking fans had to say on the subject so I went to their forum to take a gander..And I can tell u one thing, the majority, if not all of their fans on the site want him in purple next season. Who woulda thought packers fans dreading a favre comeback and viking fans cheering...POOO nough said what has the world come to?

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say we were dreading his comeback. It's more like we don't want the disruption.

Now it's getting messy. I don't like messy.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett wants to come back he is welcome. He is our best quarterback, and Rodgers has two more years on his contract.

But I don't believe any of these stories.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Joe Montana came back from injury..he was still a better player than Steve Young was at the time. BUT..the 49ers made the decision to move on..and said their FUTURE was with YOUNG.

AND keep in mind..Steve Young had not done much either when Montana came back. He only started accomplishing things until Montana left.

So again..there were people who thought it was ABSURD to give up on Montana (who one a FEW more superbowls than Favre by the way), but
the 49ers had to think of their future.

Now again before people say Aaron is not Steve Young....
At the time the 49ers didn't know Steve Young would be a hall of famer
BUT they saw enough to see that they wanted to MOVE ON
w/him instead of Montana.

So history is repeating itself.

AND for the record. STEVE YOUNG himself..when HE retired..had the ITCH to come back. And when he was trying to come back..the 49ers also had MOVED ON to Jeff Garcia..(who went to the probowl that year).

Teams have to move on and think of their future. Great players think of their own careers. It's natural guys.

SO don't blame the team to move on past their great players. And I don't blame Favre for the itch. This is just the natural order of things.
BUT the outcome is never gonna be pretty.

I agree with the majority of that, especially the last line.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack92 posted "Well if that plays out.. TT will have become the evil face of the Packers in a good portion of the Packer fans eyes.. I hate to say it, but in the like of Danny Devine.. "

97a Come on your exagerating waht is going on here on Green Bayt. Nothing hads really happen, you are saying th

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the difference between Greenbay Packer fans and Packer fans?

That's just the wording I used but Green Bay Packer fans are loyal to their team no matter. It's very apparent in the city of Green Bay and the state of Wisconsin. Not to say it isn't elsewhere but obviously the home base will have a different feel too it.

The casual Packer fan who roots for the Packers because Brett Favre is their favorite player or they're just the "hot" ticket right now might get upset and boo Rodgers even if what's going with Favre is true or not.

That's how I see it and too clarify. If you're coming to a packer message board, your probably a hardcore Packer fan. I don't want anyone thinking I'm calling them band wagoners or something.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You just got a promotion to your dream job because the long time guy ahead of you finally retired to his huge house in let's say California.

All of a sudden he gets bored and wants his job back. That company gives him the job and calls you in the office.

They offer you your old job back and your obviously less important to the company now.

How do you feel?

I think sometimes people forget that football players are humans too.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
trippster said:
Packnic said:
trippster said:

Tripp, what would a comeback now do to the locker room chemistry. There are some players, like Harris, who have openly said that they would welcome him back. There are others, like Rodgers, who would obviously resent him for it. Lines would be drawn, and you would have a divided locker room.

I don't really know because I'm not in the locker room but I think you are kind of blowing the divided locker room thing out of proportion.

Who besides Aaron Rodgers would not want Favre back? Most players know that the window to win a Super Bowl is very small and I think they are smart enough to know (this year) that Favre gives them a better chance than Rodgers. I really don't think you would have a divided locker room as most of the team, especially the WR's and Offensive Line love Favre. I can't think of a single player that I would venture to guess besides Rodgers that would create a "divided lockeroom" scenerio besides Brohm.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK... I'm done. Whatever happens happens. If Brett comes back then I will cheer him on as the GBP QB and if he doesn't then I will cheer on Rodgers as our QB. Nothing I say or do will change anything. There is a greatness in Favre that is undeniable and it would be fantastic to see him out there in Lambeau field forever flinging missle balls. It would also be great to see what Rodgers can do with his apparent talent and the proven talent of the GB team.

Either way I'm just one fan and I can only hope this whole thing is handled well and both Brett and Rodgers are happy and we go on to win 3 Superbowls in a row.