Favre Considering Comeback (***July 2nd BREAKING***)

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="NodakPaul

Of course, as a Vikings fan, I love it every time a new rumor throws gas on the fire. I can just imaging the boo birds who will come out on September 8th when Rodgers throws his first INT of 2008. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the crowd boos him when he is announced.
[/quote]

Kinda like your guy?

I mean gimme a break. No matter how you would like to spin it there are many more Packer fans first than there are Favre fans so don't kid yourself.

I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised to see the support given ARod. You and others from outside the Packer fan base don't see it up close but the real Packer fans will support this team to the end and that includes ARod at QB.

Besides, it's not like Packer fans haven't seen an interception or two over the last umpteen years.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep hearing that he is still the 3rd best QB out there. IF you look at the Giants game AT HOME in the PLAYOFFS, i dont see how you could say that.

he looked done to me that day. now he is putting the Packers in such a bad spot.

Trade him to Miami for Jason Taylor and a second round pick.

This is one of the stupidest comments I've seen on this board. How many times has Peyton Manning stunk it up on the last game of the season. Wow, your inherent bias get in the way of your opinion much?

Based on ONE game in freezing weather against a team that beat Dallas AND New England. Holy crap.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Since69 said:
For the good of the team:

Long term - Aaron Rodgers.
Short term - Brett Favre.

The question is simple: Which one gives us the best change to bring home another Lombardi Trophy this year?

If Brett comes back, I'll feel a little sorry for Rodgers, but I wouldn't let my sympathy for him guide the direction of the team or change its ultimate goal.

DGB454, I hope you weren't referring to me with your first post. As to your second, maybe my metaphor wasn't the best I could have come up with. But I think my point is valid - what makes everyone so sure the grass is going to be greener over there?

I Brett wants back in, I'll welcome him - as would any of you. But... I'd want there to be an open competition at QB. If Brett is better than Rodgers in the system that MM wants to run, then so be it. If not, Brett can stick around and be that veteran backup we all wanted a few weeks ago.

And FWIW... I would never want to see Brett playing for another team, regardless of what we might get in trade.

how is it better for us in the short term, if it almost certainly dooms us for the long term. and i know Brett Favre is the better QB. but he is 38 and doesn't wanna put the effort into and dedication into the weekly stuff. Not to mention he clearly didn't wanna be on that field in the NFC championship game. If the QB doesn't wanna be on the field in the NFC championship game, I dont see how that gets us closer to the Super Bowl.

prolonging the madness only makes this worse. Lets let him go and just remember him for the greatness.

Just b/c he didn't put on the best display during the NFC Championship game doesn't equate him not wanting to be on the field. If you really think he didn't want to be out there, you're nuts. It was cold and he looked cold...I'd bet he'd go out there tomorrow in worse conditions for another shot at going to the SB.
I agree. To say he "clearly" didn't want to be on the field is ridiculous.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main question is if Favre wants to come back and the Packers don't want him.

Would all these people against Favre coming back to the Packers have an issue with Favre playing for the Bears or Vikings?

In theory you really shouldn't because you think the Packers are better off without Favre.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="NodakPaulOf course, as a Vikings fan, I love it every time a new rumor throws gas on the fire. I can just imaging the boo birds who will come out on September 8th when Rodgers throws his first INT of 2008. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the crowd boos him when he is announced.

Kinda like your guy?

I mean gimme a break. No matter how you would like to spin it there are many more Packer fans first than there are Favre fans so don't kid yourself.

I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised to see the support given ARod. You and others from outside the Packer fan base don't see it up close but the real Packer fans will support this team to the end and that includes ARod at QB.

Besides, it's not like Packer fans haven't seen an interception or two over the last umpteen years.[/quote]

Yeah, I can really see that support in this thread... ARod's recent comments showed how much he is feeling the local support too. :wink:

And I know that there are a lot more Packer fans than there are Fav-re fans. But there are still a lot of fans who are Fav-re fans first. And those are the ones to whom Rodgers will never be able to live up to... It doesn't take much to make it ugly.

I think the very best thing for the Packers to do would be to have Fav-re come out publicly and sign his retirement papers. That would put to bed any of these rumors, and the fan base can finally move on.

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:
It appears that there are a few Favre fans who decided to join the forum only to support Favres comeback. Let's see how long they stick around if the rumors are just that. Rumors.

We both know how that will go.

Privacy clause PL no. 93, watch it bud....

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Would all these people against Favre coming back to the Packers have an issue with Favre playing for the Bears or Vikings?

In theory you really shouldn't because you think the Packers are better off without Favre.

That doesn't make sense. Would the Packers be better off long term if they brought back Fav-re for another year? No, because it would copletely undermine Rodgers and probably cause a decent amount of locker room tension.

Would the Bears be better off if they brought Fav-re in for a year? Of course, because the Bears QB situation is already completely undermined, so they have nothing to lose.

It isn't a question of who is the better QB, ARod of Fav-re. It is a question of what would be better for the team.

I chose to exercise my right not to post what I would think about Fav-re in purple. But I am pretty sure that is one of the final signs of Armageddon.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
I keep hearing that he is still the 3rd best QB out there. IF you look at the Giants game AT HOME in the PLAYOFFS, i dont see how you could say that.

he looked done to me that day. now he is putting the Packers in such a bad spot.

Trade him to Miami for Jason Taylor and a second round pick.

This is one of the stupidest comments I've seen on this board. How many times has Peyton Manning stunk it up on the last game of the season. Wow, your inherent bias get in the way of your opinion much?

Based on ONE game in freezing weather against a team that beat Dallas AND New England. Holy crap.

what bias. I own one jersey. It has Favre's name on the back. I (being a bachelor) have one item hanging on my walls. It is a painting of Favre, and its in my living room. Its the first thing you see when you walk into my world.

My bias... ha Im just taking the Green Bay Packers QB's advice... Get on board now, or keep your mouth shut.

go cheer on the red sox and favre until something better comes along, and you change your name to FrontRunnerExcel.

how awesome is it that we have a 6 page thread, because Christ Mortensen got bored on Tuesday.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First of all your talking Carl Freaking Yastrzemski playing for the Yankees. So yeah, I think a lot of people would have a problem with that.

I don't know that those thinking we are better off without him are saying that purely from the standpoint of winning and losing now as much as the transition period for this appears about as good as it can get. At some point, probably sooner than later, Favre's play is going to drop off. It has too.

The FACTS are this is the youngest team in the league and now or soon they need a young guy to lead them.

Secondly, hardly anyone can argue that beyond this point ARod is starting to rot on the bench. Sitting and learning has been beneficial and he's had a chance to grow and mature. Anymore of that is a waste.

You also have to understand that Packer fans have been dealing with the "Favre retirement issue" for over three years now. There comes a time to move on with it even with as much love for the guy there is out there.

Even talking Brett Favre there comes a time when enough is enough.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DGB454, I hope you weren't referring to me with your first post. As to your second, maybe my metaphor wasn't the best I could have come up with. But I think my point is valid - what makes everyone so sure the grass is going to be greener over there?

The first post referred to the guys who made their first post on this thread or other threads like this one.

The grass may not be greener over there but as long as this fence keeps getting built higher we may never know. We make our choices and live with them be it Brett or the Packers and their fans.

I have no doubt that if Brett came back that everyone would jump on the Favre ship and ride it as far as it takes us. Everyone except Rodgers that is. If we loose him then there goes our best chance for our future as far as I'm concerned. If Brett came back he would need to sign a 3 year contract with the stipulation he wouldn't talk about retirement for that 3 years . We would have to look seriously at trading Rodgers because he won't stick around and we would have to start grooming anoter QB for the new post Favre era.

It killed me when Brett retired. I was in a funk for weeks. Now I am getting excited for the long term future of the Packers. I see Rodgers as our QB now and can't wait to see him get a season under his belt. I am still a huge Favre fan but I am and always will be a Packer fan first and I don't see a lot of good coming out of Bretts return except for the very short term future. (this upcoming season.)

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i cringed the second i turned on espn last nite & saw this as "breaking news". my first instinct was to think "oh no brett - don't tarnish your career by doing a flip flop now" he said he was retiring & i'm sorry - i truly do love the guy as a player & i believe he's a great man as well but - he needs to stand by those words.

then again, if it truly IS just mort stirring the pot as usual - fork him!!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since69 said:

The first post referred to the guys who made their first post on this thread or other threads like this one.

The grass may not be greener over there but as long as this fence keeps getting built higher we may never know. We make our choices and live with them be it Brett or the Packers and their fans.

I have no doubt that if Brett came back that everyone would jump on the Favre ship and ride it as far as it takes us. Everyone except Rodgers that is. If we loose him then there goes our best chance for our future as far as I'm concerned. If Brett came back he would need to sign a 3 year contract with the stipulation he wouldn't talk about retirement for that 3 years . We would have to look seriously at trading Rodgers because he won't stick around and we would have to start grooming anoter QB for the new post Favre era.

It killed me when Brett retired. I was in a funk for weeks. Now I am getting excited for the long term future of the Packers. I see Rodgers as our QB now and can't wait to see him get a season under his belt. I am still a huge Favre fan but I am and always will be a Packer fan first and I don't see a lot of good coming out of Bretts return except for the very short term future. (this upcoming season.)

well done. thats what I have been saying for 2 days now... I just can't resist the urge to **** off the Favre-firsters in my argument.

and as far as your solution I love the idea. 3 year contract voided at the first mention of retirement.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not going to read all of the abovem but has anyone mentioned a camp competition. No changes since mini-camp just two dudes battling it out. I heard to argument from the Gazette. What is the opinion here.

They also took a poll Green Bay 73% said come back. Thought that was kind of high.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the way i see it is by announcing he was retiring, he relinquished his current position. Aaron rodgers stepped in and grabbed it. Now if he wants to come back, thats fine and all and he should be welcomed with open arms, but not be the starter.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not going to read all of the abovem but has anyone mentioned a camp competition. No changes since mini-camp just two dudes battling it out. I heard to argument from the Gazette. What is the opinion here.

They also took a poll Green Bay 73% said come back. Thought that was kind of high.

Kind of high! Holy pooh.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
[quote="NodakPaulOf course, as a Vikings fan, I love it every time a new rumor throws gas on the fire. I can just imaging the boo birds who will come out on September 8th when Rodgers throws his first INT of 2008. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the crowd boos him when he is announced.

Kinda like your guy?

Besides, it's not like Packer fans haven't seen an interception or two over the last umpteen years.

Yeah, I can really see that support in this thread... ARod's recent comments showed how much he is feeling the local support too. :wink:

And I know that there are a lot more Packer fans than there are Fav-re fans. But there are still a lot of fans who are Fav-re fans first. And those are the ones to whom Rodgers will never be able to live up to... It doesn't take much to make it ugly.

I think the very best thing for the Packers to do would be to have Fav-re come out publicly and sign his retirement papers. That would put to bed any of these rumors, and the fan base can finally move on.[/quote]

Packer fans aren't going to boo Rodgers when he is announced. If anyone believes that then they've never been to Green Bay or didn't pay much attention when they were there. Of course a small percent will always compare Rodgers to Favre but no way does Rodgers get booed when he's announced. He throws an INT then probably but even Favre was booed when he threw an INT. Anyone remember 2005 and Favre was booed during the Bengal game of 92. He had to earn it and he did. Rodgers will have to earn it too. Every player does.

I'll say this. There is a difference between GREEN BAY PACKER FANS and PACKER FANS. It's not huge but it's there.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RedSoxExcel said:

First of all your talking Carl Freaking Yastrzemski playing for the Yankees. So yeah, I think a lot of people would have a problem with that.

I don't know that those thinking we are better off without him are saying that purely from the standpoint of winning and losing now as much as the transition period for this appears about as good as it can get. At some point, probably sooner than later, Favre's play is going to drop off. It has too.

The FACTS are this is the youngest team in the league and now or soon they need a young guy to lead them.

Secondly, hardly anyone can argue that beyond this point ARod is starting to rot on the bench. Sitting and learning has been beneficial and he's had a chance to grow and mature. Anymore of that is a waste.

You also have to understand that Packer fans have been dealing with the "Favre retirement issue" for over three years now. There comes a time to move on with it even with as much love for the guy there is out there.

Even talking Brett Favre there comes a time when enough is enough.

Sorry, I didn't intend my post to mean that people think Rodgers is better than Favre. I see now it came across like that. All I'm saying is that I don't get why anyone would be mad at Favre for signing elsewhere if the Packers told him they don't want him. I think he's earned that right. If our team doesn't want him, he can sign where ever he wants as far as I'm concerned, we can only blame our own team that he wouldn't be with us.

Also, I don't get this viewpoint that if your not a big Rodgers fan your a "Favre firster". I'm a fan of winning and thats it. Most teams has a small window for a championship. I think this is ours now with a weak NFC. It doesn't make a "Favre firster", whatever that means. I just like winning. If we replaced Favre with Brady or Manning, I wouldn't want Favre back.

Also it feels so sweet to be right. I called it at Favre's press conference that he would get an itch to return around training camp, he didn't look done ot me. And a lot of people jumped all over me. Sweet!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I have to say this.. the timing of Rodgers comments couldn't have been any worse in terms of the fan base and if this "comeback" talk comes to life.. But I am glad Aaron didn't stick his head up yesterday in all this.. yikes.. that could have really put the gas to what might be a roaring flame if any of this is true.

Can't blame him, but the get on the wagon comments now sound like he knew some of this was comming.

Members online

Latest posts