Favre calls McCarthy

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A REVERSE

"How's this for an audible: Instead of the Packers calling quarterback Brett Favre, he called them. Just recently, Favre called Packers coach Mike McCarthy, which shows that the quarterback has to have some interest in what has been going on with his long-time employer.

But some within the Packers organization don't believe any decision on Favre's future is imminent, and those waiting for one might be waiting a while.

As of now, Favre has said he would retire. But the hope around Packers headquarters is that by taking some time, Favre will change his mind and opt to come back for another season."

I've been away so I don't know if this was posted already. It is from Adam Schefter's column on NFL.com dated Feb 17th. It doesn't say a whole lot but like Schefter says, the fact that Brett is calling MM implies that he has SOME interest.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePacke--I have not heard Brett Favre say he is going to retire. Give us a source of your information. Only I heard was what Brett said in a five minute interview with ESPN, Sports Center.

Favre said "If I had to pick right now , just make the damned decision and live with it , I would say I'm not coming back."

This wasn't Brett Favre making any kind of retirement speech. Brett said if he had to pick right then. He was not being asked right then by the Packer if he was retiring or coming Back. The Packers are giving him as much time as he needs to come to a decision like theydid last year.

Packer president Robert Harlan saw the same interveiw by ESPN with Brett And he said, he came away from watching the interview, still unconvinced that Brett was going to retire this year. I agree with Bob Harlan, I think, Brett Favre will be back this year!! and Favre's answer will forthcoming around March 1st.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT...the first three paragraphs are from the NFL.com article, hence the quotes.

The last paragraph is mine. Actually this article is saying that it is a positive thing that Brett called MM. It shows he has interest in what the team is doing.

Sorry if I posted this in a confusing way. I didn't want to post the entire article because he ranted about other things going on in the NFL.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only time i heard Favre say he would retire was when he was asked a few weeks ago. He said if he was pushed AT THET TIME he would say it's over. But that was then......maybe he has changed his mind.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably wanted to know who was going to be employed to play guard for them next year since the Company cut back on people at their Greenbay Plant last year and didn't replace them.
It was reported by the Company Accounting department that after reviewing this move it didn't pay off as expected as fuel expenditures for putting the Plant Manager on the run all year offset any savings.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
He probably wanted to know who was going to be employed to play guard for them next year since the Company cut back on people at their Greenbay Plant last year and didn't replace them.
It was reported by the Company Accounting department that after reviewing this move it didn't pay off as expected as fuel expenditures for putting the Plant Manager on the run all year offset any savings.
Well put. I don't think he will retire this year. I think he would have announced already if he was. Didn't he announce he was coming back at the Packer Fanfest last year?

I for one did not enjoy our hall of fame quarterback scraping himself from the field game after game last year. I don't blame TT for this though, because we were in cap hell. I do blame Beightol and Sherman for having the wrong personnel on the field. Reugy should have been playing RG and Wells should have been LG. Whittaker had no business cutting his teeth last year and Klemm is a back up LT at best.

Back to the subject, Favre will be back, and the O-line will be straightened out. The skill players will be back on the field and our offense should get back on track.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
What.....do they having someone tapping Brett's phone, to see who he calls?

thats what im sayin.

as long as the lines of communication are open, i like it.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being Brett called MM maybe there is still hope,,,that tells me he is still thinking of returning for another season,,,I myself thinks he will come back,,,but I hope I dont have to eat those words...

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

LOL- I like it.

I'll bet if the Plant Manager got with the Company Accounting Department and ciphered a way to hire Hutchinson for the Ossembly Line it would make Foreman Favre very happy.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cali cheesehead posted:

"Sure he called him, but what did he call him?"

The above post about Brett calling Mike McCarthy was made in jest. Wasn't It ?

You are a knowledgeable Packer fan thus you would know Brett Favre knows Mike McCarthy personally and worked with him for one year while Mike was on the Ray Rhodes staff in 1999 as QB coach.

A Press-Gazette article published after Mike McCarthy was hired by the Packers as Head Coach , had stated that Brett respects and likes Mike McCarthy. And even if there would have been problems in '99 which there were not, Brett is a 16 year Veteran & professional QB in the NFL. He is a son of career high school football coach. He would not allow that to interfere with football business which is winning football games for the Packers.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT- It was totally in jest and to think otherwise is preposterous. Too many hours of viewing figureskating can get to guy.

Members online

Latest posts