Favre Better than ever!

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Big coincidence that favre at 40 can have the best year of his nearly 2 decade and 3 MVP career... Is it coincidence or is it a guy playing within the system he is in and not taking reckless chances with the ball? brett favre has been around long enough that as his body aged and his physical skills diminished from where they once were he should have been able to compensate for that by being a smarter QB, like John Elway was in Denver. For some crazy reason, that never happened in Green Bay but why not? Was he not capable or did he not think he needed to play that way and was he not controllable? This season, going to Minny he had a lot on the line and wanted badly to "stick it to Ted." Had he fizzled, he would have looked like a fool on the national stage.

Any "Packer fan" who has divided loyalty between the Packers and favre ought to think long and hard about what the season favre put together this year in Minny means. Over his career he AVERAGED 17 INTs per year, this year the threw only 7. That is ANTI-brett favre. How could this be? Was it magic? Was it chance? Was it a once in a lifetime dream season by a 40 year old? Or was it a guy putting his ego as far behind himself as he possibly could just to prove a point and as a big bonus, stick it to the Packers and their GM?

I doubt Minnesota gets past the Saints this week. They are nowhere near the team away from their comfy dump dome. As a matter of fact, they were a 0.500 team away from home. Even if they win the Super Bowl, I am glad brett favre no longer represents the Packers and I am thrilled to death to have several years to look forward to Aaron Rodgers as our QB - and to not have to wonder if he is going to retire or not or if he will grace the team with his presence at camp.

Minny is having their dream season and it still likely won't end in a title. Then what Queenie fans? Back to TJax or Rosenfels... All while your core players just got another year older... tick tick tick tick tick tick goes the clock on your window of opportunity... :viksux:

Go Pack!

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big coincidence that favre at 40 can have the best year of his nearly 2 decade and 3 MVP career... Is it coincidence or is it a guy playing within the system he is in and not taking reckless chances with the ball?

Here's the thing that I "thought" everybody understood about Brett Favre - he plays to win. So, when you perceive him to take "reckless" chances, he's really trying to overcome a deficiency of talent on offense.

Favre gets to do "this year" with Rice, what Brady has done since he got Moss - loft **** up and reap the rewards.

The thing is, everybody makes Brett out to be some hillbilly schlub who couldn't figure his way outta a basic arithmetic word problem. The thing is, if he's outgunned, he doesn't lay down - he chooses to go down swinging and sometimes it works and sometimes an opposing team's higher level of talent wins out.

To me, I see a guy playing no differently than he ever has - he still throws off his back foot, still scrambles to his right and throws against his body to his left, still throws up wings-n-prayers like always. The difference this season is that he's got a receiver in Rice that plays "his" position like Brett plays his - in a dominating fashion.

People wanna view Brett a certain way because it's clean and easy, but it is wildly inaccurate. He isn't a gunslinger - he's competitive.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Minnesota gets past the Saints this week. They are nowhere near the team away from their comfy dump dome.

I will be more than happy to place a wager with you. You are falling into the trap that many people are going to fall into this week - you're buying hype and basing your predictions off shallow aspects.

The one aspect - and the most important aspect - of this match up nobody is going to discuss, because it escapes so many geniuses out there: Minnesota's defense is not necessarily geared towards their "dome" as it is "artificial surfaces". Minnesota's defense way back to John Randall played with tremendous SPEED along the defensive front. This year's front four is no different and I expect them to get after Drew Brees and while I won't predict a Romo-like showing from Brees, he will be slowed just enough to enable Minnesota to put up more points.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I will be more than happy to place a wager with you. You are falling into the trap that many people are going to fall into this week - you're buying hype and basing your predictions off shallow aspects.

The one aspect - and the most important aspect - of this match up nobody is going to discuss, because it escapes so many geniuses out there: Minnesota's defense is not necessarily geared towards their "dome" as it is "artificial surfaces". Minnesota's defense way back to John Randall played with tremendous SPEED along the defensive front. This year's front four is no different and I expect them to get after Drew Brees and while I won't predict a Romo-like showing from Brees, he will be slowed just enough to enable Minnesota to put up more points.
You better hope that happens. If Brees gets time it's done. The secondary for Minnesota simply isn't good enough if Brees isn't being harrassed on nearly every play.

It all comes down to the trenches. If Minnesota gets pressure, they win. If not, Brees rips them to shreds and New Orleans goes to the Bowl.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

You are funny. Comedian by night are ya? Seriously, you want to place a "wager" with me? Really? I hope that is just a figure of speech or maybe the "wager" will be some sort of "internet for tough guys street cred" or a big bag of "I told you so's" for after the game... A wager? With a guy you don't know from Adam, on the internet. I don't know if you sound more cavalier or more dumb. Sure, I'll make a wager with you. Does a million bucks work? Works for me... Does that make me sound convincing or anything?? LOL

You go ahead and dismiss my view as shallow. The Saints were the best team in the league most of the year. I saw that same team last Saturday. They have their D back to full health. The Queens went 8-0 at home this year and that means they are a 0.500 team away from the dump dome. Yeah, they are a speedy dome team... Do you think the Saints were built to play in wet concrete? Oh, and that loud 12th man that causes so many problems with the lines... Yeah, that is working against your team this week, Sparky, not for it.

So, yeah, I'll bet you one million bucks or a big bag of "net tough guy" points that the Saints beat the queens this week in NO. You queen fans are a funny bunch. You cheer for a team that has never won a damn championship yet you act like your team is invincible. News flash, they weren't the best team this year, but they are about to play the team that was, or at worst was 2nd to Indy.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
It all comes down to the trenches. If Minnesota gets pressure, they win. If not, Brees rips them to shreds and New Orleans goes to the Bowl.
Jess - that is pretty close but I'd go as far as to say that if Minny gets pressure they can win. If they don't they are as dead as fried chicken. Its gonna be a ***** that Allen isn't going to be able to get that quick jump he's used to...

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big coincidence that favre at 40 can have the best year of his nearly 2 decade and 3 MVP career... Is it coincidence or is it a guy playing within the system he is in and not taking reckless chances with the ball? brett favre has been around long enough that as his body aged and his physical skills diminished from where they once were he should have been able to compensate for that by being a smarter QB, like John Elway was in Denver. For some crazy reason, that never happened in Green Bay but why not? Was he not capable or did he not think he needed to play that way and was he not controllable? This season, going to Minny he had a lot on the line and wanted badly to "stick it to Ted." Had he fizzled, he would have looked like a fool on the national stage.

Any "Packer fan" who has divided loyalty between the Packers and favre ought to think long and hard about what the season favre put together this year in Minny means. Over his career he AVERAGED 17 INTs per year, this year the threw only 7. That is ANTI-brett favre. How could this be? Was it magic? Was it chance? Was it a once in a lifetime dream season by a 40 year old? Or was it a guy putting his ego as far behind himself as he possibly could just to prove a point and as a big bonus, stick it to the Packers and their GM?

I doubt Minnesota gets past the Saints this week. They are nowhere near the team away from their comfy dump dome. As a matter of fact, they were a 0.500 team away from home. Even if they win the Super Bowl, I am glad brett favre no longer represents the Packers and I am thrilled to death to have several years to look forward to Aaron Rodgers as our QB - and to not have to wonder if he is going to retire or not or if he will grace the team with his presence at camp.

Minny is having their dream season and it still likely won't end in a title. Then what Queenie fans? Back to TJax or Rosenfels... All while your core players just got another year older... tick tick tick tick tick tick goes the clock on your window of opportunity... :viksux:

Go Pack!

That is a great post but they Jackson at QB he is going to be ace lol

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is that the Cowboys defense is much better than the NO line. We were able to keep Ware and company away from Favre and give him time. We were able to push that D-Line of Dallas back so Peterson could rip off gain after gain.

Did you see the Cowboys play NO this year? Their D-Line was murdering the NO O-Line. In my opinion, the Vikes have a superior D-Line to Dallas. If NO could not stop the Cowboys at home, they will have a difficult time with Jared Allen and company.

I saw all the comments here last week that the Vikings were never going to get past the Cowboys. We just have one more game and then you can tell me how we will never beat the Jets/Colts. After that, Favre will have two Super Bowl rings playing for two great teams.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
My take is that the Cowboys defense is much better than the NO line. We were able to keep Ware and company away from Favre and give him time. We were able to push that D-Line of Dallas back so Peterson could rip off gain after gain.

Did you see the Cowboys play NO this year? Their D-Line was murdering the NO O-Line. In my opinion, the Vikes have a superior D-Line to Dallas. If NO could not stop the Cowboys at home, they will have a difficult time with Jared Allen and company.

I saw all the comments here last week that the Vikings were never going to get past the Cowboys. We just have one more game and then you can tell me how we will never beat the Jets/Colts. After that, Favre will have two Super Bowl rings playing for two great teams.
I guess that is why they play the games there, purplehelmeteater...

Yeah, I saw the Cowboys annihilate the Saints... I also saw the Cowboys crush the Eagles twice. I also saw them lose to the Packers. I also saw the Saints slice and dice several teams, including the Cards. I saw the queens lose 4 games on the road, one to the lowly bears (or BOBs, as I like to call them). I saw the Cowboys pee all down their own leg in the dump dome yesterday, putting the ball on the ground, throwing picks, etc... You didn't get their best effort and your croud noise didn't hurt. You see, you don't get any more credit next week for who you beat last week or how badly you beat them. It got you a ticket to NO, no more and no less.

Perhaps the Vikings are better than the Cowboys or perhaps, when at home they match up very well with them. You see, certain teams match up well with other teams. If you beat the team that goes on to win the Super Bowl does that mean you are the defacto champion? Are the BOBs a better team than Minny? Must be, they beat them right? The logic doesn't work Minny>Dallas>New Orleans... Minny/NO is an entirely different matchup and this time your boys are on the road, with the noise not in their favor. They very well could win. I don't know if they will or not, but I don't think they will. That is an opinion. But your reasoning for why you think they will win is flawed, and that is a fact.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You better hope that happens. If Brees gets time it's done. The secondary for Minnesota simply isn't good enough if Brees isn't being harrassed on nearly every play.

Exactly grasshoppa!!! And, all I am saying is that because Minnesota is playing on a rug - where their front four dominates - isn't it fairly reasonable to assume they will get to Brees enough to force more punts than NO would normally have? Then you add the fact that Minnesota can basically score at will on certain types of defenses, and that spells trouble for the Saints - in my opinion.

At this point of the season, if I resign my self to "hoping", I will have failed to pick up on the trends of each team. And while crowd noise certainly will have an impact, I'm not sure it'll be more of an impact than Minny's defensive front operating on a surface they are most suited to playing dominantly on.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees is smarter than nearly all QBs in the league and will adjust to Minnesota's pressure, breaking them down with quick drops. No matter how much pressure you can apply, if the QB is doing quick drops and getting 7-10 yards on each pass + YaC from the receivers. . .it's only a matter of time until he starts to get some time and the running game opens up.

I expect the Saints to do what they've done all season long and that's break defenses down no matter who they are and Brees to shine like he did last week. The vikings secondary is pathetic.:viksux:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The vikings secondary is pathetic.:viksux:

You had me buying into your argument until you went all "hateful" and ****. Going that route makes you appear like a Packers homer, thus clouding any and all reasonable judgment about a rival team.

As much as we all want to crown Drew Brees king of all things QB-related, he still is no Brett Favre, as painful as that may be to read. And, while I am certain Brees will fare much better than Romo, I am predicting that the Vikings defensive front will mitigate the damage Brees can do, thereby allowing the Minnesota offense to put up more points than New Orleans.

Look over recent playoff history the number of times seemingly "dominant" offenses have been neutered by dominant defensive fronts - New England all those years beating the **** outta Manning, Giants of 2007 working over Green Bay AND New England, Pittsburgh last year ....the recent past provides ample evidence to support my theory.

However, we'll soon find out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You had me buying into your argument until you went all "hateful" and ****. Going that route makes you appear like a Packers homer, thus clouding any and all reasonable judgment about a rival team.

As much as we all want to crown Drew Brees king of all things QB-related, he still is no Brett Favre, as painful as that may be to read. And, while I am certain Brees will fare much better than Romo, I am predicting that the Vikings defensive front will mitigate the damage Brees can do, thereby allowing the Minnesota offense to put up more points than New Orleans.

Look over recent playoff history the number of times seemingly "dominant" offenses have been neutered by dominant defensive fronts - New England all those years beating the **** outta Manning, Giants of 2007 working over Green Bay AND New England, Pittsburgh last year ....the recent past provides ample evidence to support my theory.

However, we'll soon find out.

I see now you use past history tendencies to prove a point?

God your such a hypocrite

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Wow - a Viqueen fan on a Packer forum expecting a foot rub. Seriously, we don't like your team and we don't like obnoxious bandwagon fans telling us how great your team is. Let's see them beat the Saints and then maybe the Colts. It would mean that in half a century you finally have something to crow about. You'd still be 11 behind us, and it would have taken a revenge-motivated ex-Packer and a Minny State judge to win it for you boys.

If you want love and group hugs, I suggest you hang out on a site dedicated to your team not ours. If you want to hang out with Packer fans quit being such a *** when Packer fans express a different view of reality than you have. You boys are as big of divas as your QB for crying out loud.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow - a Viqueen fan on a Packer forum expecting a foot rub. Seriously, we don't like your team and we don't like obnoxious bandwagon fans telling us how great your team is. Let's see them beat the Saints and then maybe the Colts. It would mean that in half a century you finally have something to crow about. You'd still be 11 behind us, and it would have taken a revenge-motivated ex-Packer and a Minny State judge to win it for you boys.

If you want love and group hugs, I suggest you hang out on a site dedicated to your team not ours. If you want to hang out with Packer fans quit being such a *** when Packer fans express a different view of reality than you have. You boys are as big of divas as your QB for crying out loud.

Sounds like somebody cannot let go of the past and is clinging to it for dear life - kinda like that cliche 40 year-old, former high school basketball star from smalltown, WI that'll never let anybody forget he scored 30 points one time in a game back in the day.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Sounds like somebody cannot let go of the past and is clinging to it for dear life - kinda like that cliche 40 year-old, former high school basketball star from smalltown, WI that'll never let anybody forget he scored 30 points one time in a game back in the day.

Funny stuff - fan of team that has never won anything. Again, you just keep on telling yourself whatever makes you feel good. You are a fan of a team that has no identity and can't even build a stadium. If they did, they wouldn't be able to sell it out. Have fun rooting for the purple puke in Los Angeles in 3 years.

Now the Packers on the other hand, have no identity crisis. They helped found the league that allowed entry to your expansion franchise in 1961. The Packers have more championships than any team in league history - your team still has none. The Packers have a season ticket waiting list of over 50K - your team needs help selling out playoff games. We have a jewel of a stadium and a community owned team that will never leave Green Bay. You have one shady owner after another and will probably end up in another market just like every one of your other major sports teams eventually did.

So keep on preaching brother of Barney. Packer fans find you mildly annoying but mostly amusing. You say we live in the past which is funny because even though it isn't true - at least we have a past. You live in a void, which is what draws you here. :viksux:

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny stuff - fan of team that has never won anything. Again, you just keep on telling yourself whatever makes you feel good. You are a fan of a team that has no identity and can't even build a stadium. If they did, they wouldn't be able to sell it out. Have fun rooting for the purple puke in Los Angeles in 3 years.

Now the Packers on the other hand, have no identity crisis. They helped found the league that allowed entry to your expansion franchise in 1961. The Packers have more championships than any team in league history - your team still has none. The Packers have a season ticket waiting list of over 50K - your team needs help selling out playoff games. We have a jewel of a stadium and a community owned team that will never leave Green Bay. You have one shady owner after another and will probably end up in another market just like every one of your other major sports teams eventually did.

So keep on preaching brother of Barney. Packer fans find you mildly annoying but mostly amusing. You say we live in the past which is funny because even though it isn't true - at least we have a past. You live in a void, which is what draws you here. :viksux:

Unlike you, I am not afraid of reality in that I refuse to live in the past to satisfy my present.

We all pick and choose, but I fail to see how hating Minnesota makes Green Bay a better franchise. At the moment, I am enjoying the Packers and Vikings equally. Even if I hated the Vikings, I would still choose to support a franchise from within the North, during those instances the Packers either don't make the playoffs, or don't advance.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlike you, I am not afraid of reality in that I refuse to live in the past to satisfy my present.

We all pick and choose, but I fail to see how hating Minnesota makes Green Bay a better franchise. At the moment, I am enjoying the Packers and Vikings equally. Even if I hated the Vikings, I would still choose to support a franchise from within the North, during those instances the Packers either don't make the playoffs, or don't advance.

This is a Packer forum, go to a minnesota forum if you don't want to hear about how we hate the vikings. Obvious statements are obvious, you're not going to find viking fans here and no matter what you put or how witty you believe you are. . .no one cares to listen to you here.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a Packer forum, go to a minnesota forum if you don't want to hear about how we hate the vikings. Obvious statements are obvious, you're not going to find viking fans here and no matter what you put or how witty you believe you are. . .no one cares to listen to you here.

You can "ignore" my posts if they threaten your belief system.

Please don't threaten me or bully me because my opinions differ from your own. Beat me by building a better mousetrap, so to speak.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Please don't threaten me or bully me because my opinions differ from your own. Beat me by building a better mousetrap, so to speak.

I'll threaten or bully you simply because your opinions differ on these forums. It's a Packer forum, not a soap box for you to try to support the vikings. Lol ****.

Inb4 what you believe to be a clever remark.:viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I did that and you flipped your argument to suit your needs...

http://www.packerforum.com/packer-fan-forum/18814-i-called-3.htm

I am arguing that saying Brett Favre falters in December has more to do with WHO he is playing rather than which month he is playing in and my analysis bears this out: in passing defense:
Cincy - 12
Carolina - 4
Chicago - 7
New York - 10

...In which I argue that these defensive rankings had/will have more bearing on Favre's production than the fact these games occur in December and early January.

My reply to that

If your using what I think you are

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

** Cinncy is 15th not 12th***

Shall we look at the past 5 years?

08 D
Miami---25
Seattle--last
Buffalo---13
Frisco---20

Avg of 22.5

Lions----31
Bears---27
Rams---21
Raiders---8

Avg of 21.75

Frisco---26
Lions---25
Vikings ---31
Bears---11

Avg of 23.25

Lions---13
Ravens---8
Bears---5
Seahawks---25

Avg of 12.75

Lions---20
Jag---16
Vikings---29---
Bears---15

Avg of 20
Then your reply

I think you're not understanding the rankings. The rankings of the pass defense were the rankings AT THE TIME the games were played, obviously, or maybe not.

I then asked you to supply proof of this because you added a 2nd reason to your theory, this was your reply

If you don't understand the bigger picture by now, it's really hopeless.

As long as I can get it out there, though, that is just as important.

Huge cop out..

so then I produced my facts to support my side...

Rating last 4 games
Highest 61
Lowest 45-Miami last game, Ranked 25th

40----Chicago, 2nd to last Ranked 27th

32--Detroit, 3rd to last game...Ranked 20th

34---Baltimore Was 8th

32---Chicago..Last game of year, they were ranked 15th So for last 5 years, he had hislowest rating in Dec vs teams with pass D that were average (one game,Chicago) or below (three games)
You then proceeded to not debate me on it, try to get cute because I believe you knew I had a better mouse trap?

Holy Mackerel! Then, you, too, subscribe to the bankrupt theory that Favre perennially succumbs to an arbitrary drop-dead date of November 30th, after midnight.

Give Santa a holler for me the next time he comes down your chimney.

You NEVER once tried to debate it at all..You GAVE UP

Members online

Latest posts