Favre Better than ever!

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait, your using stats again!!

context!!!!

Undefeated season, 5 straight come back wins, Manning pulled out they lose..

Context!

How's it feel to play good cop??? :)

I still stand by my belief that Peyton Manning is a curmudgeon that doesn't inherently enjoy the work he is doing. He is still playing for his Dad and still remains scared to death of him. He's boring, sometimes boorish and his story makes for a snore-yawn of a read.

I hope for the NFL's sake, these writers can re-vote, or to be smart, WAIT until AFTER the last game to start handing out the hardware. I'm not sure why this country is so keen on crowning champions halfway thru the season, but they do it year in and year out and it borders on embarrassing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How's it feel to play good cop??? :)

I still stand by my belief that Peyton Manning is a curmudgeon that doesn't inherently enjoy the work he is doing. He is still playing for his Dad and still remains scared to death of him. He's boring, sometimes boorish and his story makes for a snore-yawn of a read.

I hope for the NFL's sake, these writers can re-vote, or to be smart, WAIT until AFTER the last game to start handing out the hardware. I'm not sure why this country is so keen on crowning champions halfway thru the season, but they do it year in and year out and it borders on embarrassing.
First post you used stats to determine, then Longtimefan put up the context to why Manning should be voted, and now you say he doesn't deserve because Favre is a better story, or likes to play more?

I think, as evidenced by last year, it's much more important the wins than the stats.

With the comebacks, and the wins, as well as him being basically the whole team, Manning gets it.

Brees could also be in the mix, but Manning is a media darling, and the Saints losing also affects it.

Rivers and Rodgers, no way. Rivers has more chance, but he didn't play the level of Manning, Brees and Favre early in the season.

I think after the AZ game, Favre fell behind.

And if they had gone to the playoffs, Chris Johnson would get it. 0-6 to make the playoffs, while breaking the scrimmage yards record and reaching 2000 yards??? But not making it, it's hard to vote him, considering he's a RB.

He gets the OPoY IMO, though.

And the comeback will go to Brady.

DPoY, Woodson.

Coach of the Year, I'm torn between Payton, Caldwell, Turner and Phillips.

Executive of the Year, I have no idea.

But after Cushing got 90% of the votes, I'm not sure of anything. I thought he would win, but by that much of a margin?

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This reads a bit fishy, so not sure how accurate it really is ...(This supposed sampling of MVP voters shows an almost unanimous decision for Manning, when he actually led the Big Three in NOTHING other than team wins. Favre is first in fewest interceptions by a mile and Brees leads everything else.)

Manning separating himself from MVP pack | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

1. Brees
3. Rodgers
4. Rivers
5. Chris Johnson
6. Thomas Jones
7. Manning
8. Schaub
9. MJD
10. Andre Johnson
11. Peterson
12. Cribbs

Brees should have won MVP in '08. In '09 he's leading in more QB categories than anyone else. Manning was undeserving of the MVP last season. If he's competing against his own stats from '08 then he wins again in '09 hands down. Unfortunately he's up against several players who easily outplayed him in '09.

If it were truly a fair vote then by all accounts Thomas Jones should probably win it. Without him where would the Mark Sanchez-led Jets have ended up? 3 wins tops IMHO. 14 TDs, 1400 yards & no lost fumbles even though teams were specifically designing gameplans to stop him. NYJ defense allowed fewest yards & fewest points in '09. Wonder if they wish they still had #4?

Chris Johnson showed he is elite. He led the league in rush attempts (358) & yards per carry (5.6). The closest RB to him in YPC is Ray Rice (5.3) & he had 104 fewer attempts. He set a new standard for yards from scrimmage, beating Marshall Faulk's effort from '99, which BTW was not his MVP season.

Rodgers has risen to the top of the league in only his second season starting.

#4 had his personal best season stat-wise as far as passer rating, completion percentage & INTs are concerned.

Rivers has his team streaking to the playoffs & they are the only team the Colts fear in the AFC.

So now the homer newspaper in Indy thinks Manning is "separating himself from the MVP pack"? Please.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First post you used stats to determine, then Longtimefan put up the context to why Manning should be voted, and now you say he doesn't deserve because Favre is a better story, or likes to play more?

What are you smokin', Bubba? I will use stats when they offer a fair assessment of an argument. I don't bludgeon people with them because they're far too transparent to the trained eye.

At any rate, the majority of Favre's stats are as good or better than Manning's, save wins (which the "team" is mostly responsible for, not one player.).

Man, I find myself growing weary of posting the same crap over and over and over and over again to certain forum members whose feelings I've hurt along the way and they take any chance to grind that dull axe more and more.

My point is when you split hairs over stats (the two have nearly identical numbers for God's sakes!), you lose sight of the bigger picture which is that Favre is arguably still a better QB at age 40 than is Manning. Everybody loves Favre. Most do not love Manning. Remember - these are writers voting on this, not schlubs at the corner tavern.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hausch, so when you use stat's to prove things it's alright, but when other people use them, its "bludgeoning"? MVP doesn't stand for who has the best stats award, its most valuable player. Where do you hear this "Most do not love Manning"?? Are these your Viking buddies? Sorry Manning didn't throw his coach under the bus at the post-game press conference even though he said he would've liked to play.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre played a great year and I will always have a spot in my Green and Gold heart for him but this is not a season that I will want to remember as a Packer fan.

This season the NFL had a handful of great QBs, otherwise you look at Rodgers numbers 30 passing 5 rushing TDs and over 4400 yards with a team being 11-5. . .those are MVP numbers in some cases but with Brees, Manning and Favre having great seasons, it really shows that the league is a bit more pass than rush as it has been in the past.

Either way, Favre did have a good year but who knows if it'll mean anything if they lose in the playoffs. . .is it sweet sweet redemption I smell coming down the line? Lets hope! =)

Packer fan first, Favre fan later. . .
GO PACK GO!:happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you smokin', Bubba? I will use stats when they offer a fair assessment of an argument. I don't bludgeon people with them because they're far too transparent to the trained eye.

At any rate, the majority of Favre's stats are as good or better than Manning's, save wins (which the "team" is mostly responsible for, not one player.).

Man, I find myself growing weary of posting the same crap over and over and over and over again to certain forum members whose feelings I've hurt along the way and they take any chance to grind that dull axe more and more.

My point is when you split hairs over stats (the two have nearly identical numbers for God's sakes!), you lose sight of the bigger picture which is that Favre is arguably still a better QB at age 40 than is Manning. Everybody loves Favre. Most do not love Manning. Remember - these are writers voting on this, not schlubs at the corner tavern.

Hausch, so when you use stat's to prove things it's alright, but when other people use them, its "bludgeoning"? MVP doesn't stand for who has the best stats award, its most valuable player. Where do you hear this "Most do not love Manning"?? Are these your Viking buddies? Sorry Manning didn't throw his coach under the bus at the after game press conference even though he said he would've liked to play.
As I've said to JeffQuery, a good troll doesn't let facts interfere in his theory.

Pinpick stats, using them only when they matter to your theory, and your credibility will stay were it is.

"Everybody loves Favre. Most do not love Manning". What a great phrase.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Man, I find myself growing weary of posting the same crap over and over and over and over again to certain forum members whose feelings I've hurt along the way and they take any chance to grind that dull axe more and more..
You only use stats when it SUPPORTS your theory which is WRONG

I am sure many have noticed that when one side of your argument wont fit you change the criteria to a different part..

I get your saying he is better q/b than Manning right now and I probably agree with you..( I am bolding it, because your going to forget I ever said it to try and say I am a hater*

But the way the award is set up FOR ME is what q/b is more valuable to his TEAM

The Viks had a 2 game improvement, but Manning had his team undefeated until he got yanked

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You only use stats when it SUPPORTS your theory which is WRONG

I am sure many have noticed that when one side of your argument wont fit you change the criteria to a different part..
HushChild changes his arguments as many times as someone blinks or inhales per day.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally felt Vince Young should have gotten that award after all that happened to him last year. All the criticism he received and him gone missing. Seemed like the end of his career. Then he helps out the Titans to go 8-2 after they were 0-6. That's just simply amazing.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it was given to Tom Brady today. Percy Harvin won the Offensive Rookie of the Year award, well deserved. All this according to ESPN.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it was given to Tom Brady today. Percy Harvin won the Offensive Rookie of the Year award, well deserved. All this according to ESPN.
Jeez, just how many awards do they have?
Do they have one for "Best shoe laces tied?"
Or
"Best looking in the uniform?"
Ok I kid, I kid.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeez, just how many awards do they have?
Do they have one for "Best shoe laces tied?"
Or
"Best looking in the uniform?"
Ok I kid, I kid.
Rookie Offensive Player of the year.

Rookie Defensive Player of the Year.

Offensive Player of the Year.

Defensive Player of the Year.

Most Valuable Player.

Comeback Player of the Year.

Head Coach of the Year.

Executive of the Year.

I think it's it. If I forgot one, I'm sorry. 8 awards from AP. Not counting SB MVP, or team awards, as the Ed Block Courage award and Team MVP...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which position historically wins the OPTY? QB's have the MVP. I suppose Chris J will win the OPTY.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady did have a great year but he is already a great player so he didn't really deserve it. I would have gave it to Vince Young.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Which position historically wins the OPTY? QB's have the MVP. I suppose Chris J will win the OPTY.
I think OPTY is there to recognize the guy who puts up the most insane stats. Doesn't matter if he's on a 3-13 team. So, I think that award doesn't have a specific position it normally goes to, though I could be wrong and it could go to a QB like every other award. I do think CJ is a shoe-in for it, though.

It's almost like a consolation award. Good for you for the season you had, but your team sucked so you don't get MVP consideration.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Favre better than ever? This season is the best season he has ever had. Look at the passer rating if you dont think so. I hate to say it, but it might just be his best year .. superbowl 96 wasn't all favre if that's your argument. We had an amazing team.

No offense I'm merely joking. You've got Favre and if I could find a feather to stick in my *** we'd both be tickled. I have to admitt that Chilly is not a single celled life form. He designed an offense that made Brett stay sane and somehow made him do it. There's been some chinks in the armor, but for the most part Bert has played smarter than he did with Holgrem. Bert's problem has always been between the ear holes not his body. If Holgrem and Bert would have stayed together his passing records would be gigantic, monstrous and untouchable. Imagine Nolan Ryan playing on consistent winners. He has a strikeout record that will never be broken but he could have had 400 wins.

As to Rodgers and the MVP he's to dull. It's one reason the AR haters hate him. He's not a redneck ridgerunner gunslinger. He doesn't have a family that could be on Cops every week. For whatever you say about Manning he makes great commercials. That counts in MVP voting. Rodgers couldn't sell sight to a blind man. Bert is the modern Joe Namath only from a homesy self deprecating way. That sucks up huge amounts of votes. He has a finely tuned PR machine just like Bert. Bert has been a media darling for years. Manning is building the same cred.

As

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger - I'm merely pointing out what nobody wants to talk about.

There really isn't such a thing as an MVP in the NFL, but you go with what ya got and kinda base your guess off history.

Many are really itchin' to vote Brett MVP and all they ever need are decent numbers and a good record and seeding.

Manning could win, but nobody likes him because he's so damned grumpy. Just as many don't want to vote for Manning and are also looking for any reasonable excuse not to. I could see Favre-Manning MVP selections, also.

Take 2007, for instance when Brady won - Favre got the only other vote. This should tell us all something - people love Brett Favre - even the writers.

Nice attempt, but as I was trying to tell you that the voters wont vote the way you would

Members online

Latest posts