Favre bashing all over sports radio today.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listen to ESPN radio and Chicago's The Score at work (the only two sports channels I can get), and it was nonstop Favre. Mainly things were said such as,"Favre needs to retire or at least sit down with Thompson and state his intentions." Many said his play was fine when he started out, but that times have changed and his style isn't effective anymore. None would blame his performances on the loss of so many teammates. Most felt Rodgers should get the chance to play even more often. It was so strange to listen to it. I'm used to Favre praise, even when he doesn't deserve it.

Last night's game made us a "laughingstock" as one person said. I'm sorry we had this unfortunate game on Monday Night Football. It certainly gave the talking heads a lot of fodder for discussion!

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard the same type of thing on the Dan Patrick show. Makes me wonder if these people actually watch the games sometimes or just look at the boxscore.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't all Brett's fault, but as Greg C. alluded to, all he's doing now is playing a game of 500 with whoever the hell wants to run 30 yards deep. Yeah the talent has substantially diminished around him, but he's playing at a pretty poor level at times as well.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If all could only look at the game the way fans do who do not have our strong affection for the Packers and especially Brett, I think we'd see a QB who makes way too many bad decisions by throwing into coverage. He's not reading defenses and his passing accuracy has dropped off considerably. He if weren't Brett Favre, future hall of famer, I believe most other teams would have demoted him for his quality of play. I'm sure anyone who reads this realizes how hard it is to write this, but it's true. Brett is no longer playing like a Hall of Fame Quarterback. I don't mean to flame the guy, but he's not what he once was.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I think most of us realize that Favre is Playing ******. That said though with no running game and a prdictable offense most teams know what the Pack will do by formation. Watching the game last night seemed like three plays out of two formations. Was pretty damn sad. And Favre has always chucked it up but has had reviers open. He has lost what deep ball he had. But still throws it.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's total ******** PAckedHouse...

If you surround a player with ****..don't expect shinola...

simple as that...

(i can't believe you guys can't see this...)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who knows the game ( or in this case, saw the game ) knows that our stink up last night was a result of the "whole team's" attitude and performance but Brett takes the blamb. Did Brett play at his highest level ? no, not even close but look where the Bears have gone this year with a QB playing at under that level all year and I have not heard near the bashing of him or Vick for that matter who is almost consistently playing with percentages that Brett only has in his worst games with injury plagued teams. Yeah, the Great One isn't having his best year and some reporters just love it.

"Kick them when their up, kick them when their down" So I hear.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that a lot of the criticism comes from the fact that he keeps talking about retirement year after year but will not give the Packers a straight answer. If you are coming back then say so. If not then say that but make a decision so the team knows where they stand. He owes them that.
I have never heard a player in any sport threaten to quite as many times as Favre has done the last 5 years. The Packers QB is not the only thing that is getting old.
:-?

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if he did have good receivers those passes last night were not good at all. the 500 analogy is pretty accurate. For those who watched the game it was evident that Brett should have had 3 or 4 interceptions if Ed Reed could have caugh them. That one that our best receiver, Driver, didn't want to catch went right through Reed hands (and hit his head). If he had intercepted that we would have been without our whole 3 points last night. Hate to see him play like this.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil...Favre has never "threatened" to quit. If you can find one quote of his "threatening" to quit please post it, otherwise take your jealous *** elsewhere. Just because Favre is an Icon, the likes of which the bears have never and will never have, people want to know. His problem is that he is honest. People ask him everywhere he goes and he answers them honestly. Sorry if that **** don't fly in buttphucksville!

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listen to ESPN Radio everyday and it is tiresome to listen to Colin Cowherd bash Brett Favre everyday.
The funny thing is, he will bring up Brett even when he is talking baseball, basketball or bowling.
I think Colin is in love.

tarkenton10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dapack - First off Da cubs have a few players that are the caliber of Favre. Gayle sayers, Walter Payton, **** Butkis, Mike Singletary. Those are just some that are as big if not bigger icons than Favre. Just because they are not playing today doesn't mean they weren't once as great as Favre.

Second Favre played horrible and is justifably getting the criticism he deserves. He got all the glory and was lauded for it when he performed well. No one was saying they shouldn't be complimenting Favre for his great play when he was doing well. Now he is playing like sh*t and people are basically saying it, fans are getting upset, WHY? If you take the honey the stings go along with it. The press is a double edged sword and Favre is righfully getting some bad press.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not that Favre's skills have diminished, it's his decision making. He is making really bad decisions, like throwing the ball into double and sometimes triple coverage. He knows that if he doesn't make a play, no one will make a play. He's putting all the pressure on him.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all tarkenton.....if that IS your real name. Those other guys you named couldn't be a pimple on Brett Favre's ***. Second my post had nothing to do with Brett's play. It was in response to Phil's bullsh1t about Brett constantly "threatening" to quit. Try to keep up with the subject. I realize it must be difficult ...what with all the time you guys spend trolling on another teams boards but a little effort is all I'm asking for.

BTW.......the bears have had some "decent" players that I suppose could be considered icons but damn I'd have to say the biggest icon to ever wear purple would have to be Barney!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tarkenton...I agree that Walter Payton is as much an icon as Brett, and probably Butkus as well, and even even if it doesn't pertain to the topic at hand, your post is accurate. People seem to take criticsim of Brett very personally but the fact is, this year his numbers and his team are down...whether it be his fault, his receivers, the coaches, or whatever, 20 some picks is not going to generate much praise.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy....I don't take criticism of Favre's play personally. That's not what my response to his post is about. I'm assuming you are talking about me since I was the only one to respond to him. The problem I have is people blaming Brett about the retirement talk. That is how this started. The tark went off about his abilities.

And NO those other guys were not as big an icon as Brett is today. They were great players but probably because of the "information overload" age that we live in, they NEVER received the public interest that Brett Favre receives today. Remember what we are talking about here....not whether or not they were great players. I'm starting to question your Packer loyalty musccy. Never, ever say anything good about a bear!

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all have to remember Brett was showing poor decision making before some of our stars were getting injured. Anyone remember the last 3 Queen's games?

This is the solution. First, I think we all can agree that physically Favre is still a better QB then most. It is his mental game that is slipping.

The answer is to get a VERY GOOD QB coach to work with him. If he plays within himself and his abilities he can return to Probowl caliber. Take what the D gives him . . . if it is not there throw the ball away. Favre may be surprised to find out how efficient and effective he can be if he just takes a breath.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
musccy....I don't take criticism of Favre's play personally. That's not what my response to his post is about. I'm assuming you are talking about me since I was the only one to respond to him. The problem I have is people blaming Brett about the retirement talk. That is how this started. The tark went off about his abilities.

And NO those other guys were not as big an icon as Brett is today. They were great players but probably because of the "information overload" age that we live in, they NEVER received the public interest that Brett Favre receives today. Remember what we are talking about here....not whether or not they were great players. I'm starting to question your Packer loyalty musccy. Never, ever say anything good about a bear!

Actually, I wasn't directing that towards you (taking Brett criticism personally)...just a general statement which applies to the team as well. A lot of ppl seemed to be really flustered back in August when ESPN, CNNSI, etc. didn't pick the Pack to win the North.

As for Walter/Butkus/Brett...I don't think Brett will stand out, 30 years from now, much more than Walter will (butkus is debatable). You're right about the information overload but if you look at their status in relative terms, then I think that at least walter and Brett are on the same "playing field."

And just to confirm that my loyalty is not in question...the 1996 Packers were better than the '85 bears, and the new solider field is really ugly :D

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
We all have to remember Brett was showing poor decision making before some of our stars were getting injured. Anyone remember the last 3 Queen's games?

This is the solution. First, I think we all can agree that physically Favre is still a better QB then most. It is his mental game that is slipping.

The answer is to get a VERY GOOD QB coach to work with him. If he plays within himself and his abilities he can return to Probowl caliber. Take what the D gives him . . . if it is not there throw the ball away. Favre may be surprised to find out how efficient and effective he can be if he just takes a breath.

you are right...it's all the in the decisions. Where are a lot of his picks coming from? Whipping it into triple coverage! That has nothing to do with his physical skills...just what's going on above the neck

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bret knows he hasn't played well but with the line he has and the injuries to backs and receivers even Payton and Brady would be having their worst seasons with that to work with. After all he is a gunslinger. He just doesn't have any bullets. But if your going to call a spade a spade he has fired off some blanks at times and at times his receivers should have caught or at least knocked down several balls that turned into interceptions. He'd probably have 1/2 the INT's he has if he never threw a ball to Ferguson. Now there's a player to bash.

tarkenton10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dapack - you are looking at this with green and gold glasses on. Favre may have been great but as a FOOTBALL fan I can say Walter Payton was one of the greatest players ever to play any position. And favre while a great QB is an above average athlete. Butkis was the best LB ever until LT. And he is as big an icon as Favre. He has faded due to the years but they will forget Favre as the decades go by. Sayers if you have ever watched him or seen him play was pheonominal and is still considered one of the greats of all time. Not every position has to have a Packer as the greatest player.

And I am not a troll, you just can't handle any criticism. You are even bashing packer fans!!!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know Tark I hate when People throw out the best player ever mark on anyone. weather it is a posistion or other wise. I do think Walter was great. For his time period. I think Barry was great for his time period so on and so forth. Times change as do the size and speed in the NFL. I dont think butkus would have been the same great player he was then if he wrere playing today. sure a hard hitter with a mean streak but he would be way to slow. Favre was great in the mid 90's has had a long and illustrious career. May be back next year to cap it off but his time like everyones goes away. Someday Packer Fans will whisper his name like Bart Star. And we may be talking about another great QB who knows. I do know that football like life is fluid and times change.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
First of all tarkenton.....if that IS your real name. Those other guys you named couldn't be a pimple on Brett Favre's ***. Second my post had nothing to do with Brett's play. It was in response to Phil's bullsh1t about Brett constantly "threatening" to quit. Try to keep up with the subject. I realize it must be difficult ...what with all the time you guys spend trolling on another teams boards but a little effort is all I'm asking for.

BTW.......the bears have had some "decent" players that I suppose could be considered icons but damn I'd have to say the biggest icon to ever wear purple would have to be Barney!

Hey Depack. You are completely clueless. Saying that Payton, Butkus, Sayers or any of the Bears 26 hall of famers are just "decent" and could not be a pimple on Favre's *** is without a doubt the dumbest thing that I have ever read on this site.
And yes, Favre has "threatened" to quit not once but several times over the past few seasons so you can pull your tongue out of his *** any time now.
Perhaps it is you that is having a hard time keeping up with the subject at hand.
:crazy:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
When has he threatened to quit?

My God! What team have you been following? Has Brett Favre not been saying that he is not sure if he is coming back after this season ever since mini-camp? He has done this every year since 2000.
How many threads about him possibly leaving have been posted in the last two months on this site alone?
:shock:

Latest posts