Favre back in action

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay - All's well in Packerland. Brett Favre is ready to roll.

Packers quarterback Brett Favre is back at practice after taking a shot to the elbow against the Patriots.

Five days after being knocked out of only the sixth game in his career, the indestructible quarterback was back Friday taking every turn in practice and will make his 252nd straight start Monday night in Seattle.

"He said he was feeling pretty good today," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "He's always been there. He'll always play. I never doubted that he would be there."

As recently as Wednesday afternoon, Favre reported a tingling sensation remaining in the last two fingers on his right hand from the crack that he took to the elbow Sunday from linebacker Tedy Bruschi of New England.

After withholding Favre on Wednesday, coach Mike McCarthy planned to rest his leader until practice this morning. But with the players off on Thanksgiving Day, Favre came back as chipper as ever so there was no reason to hold him back.

"He looked fine," running back Ahman Green said. "Same as usual."

The Packers spent about the first hour of their 2-hour, 20-minute practice working in the Hutson Center. Then they trooped across a parking lot to Nitschke Field for the team portion of the workout.

"Favre looked really sharp today," Jagodzinski said. "We didn't have one drop. It was probably the best practice we've had this whole season. It was really crisp. It was real encouraging. Guys got a day off and felt a little bit fresher. It really helped us today."

With Favre taking every snap with the No. 1 offense and Aaron Rodgers undergoing foot surgery, the scout-team chores were divided between newcomer Todd Bouman and rookie Ingle Martin in similar fashion when it was Rodgers and Martin.

"Coach (Tom) Clements said he wanted to make sure Todd was getting some work," Martin said. "He would probably go half to three-quarters and then I'd go in. My guess is that they're getting Todd ready so it probably will be him."

If Martin's right and Bouman is No. 2, the Packers don't seem petrified about Favre getting hurt. That's because the 34-year-old Bouman played in New Orleans for McCarthy in 2003-'04.

"I was really surprised at how fast he picked it up," Jagodzinski said. "Terminology was not a problem for him to come in and just start calling things. He understands what we're doing."

The Saints thought enough of Bouman after his first season with the team to give him a three-year, $4.25 million contract that contained a $1.255 million signing bonus. He was cut Sept. 3 after losing out to Jamie Martin for the backup job.

Bouman attempted 36 passes in exhibition games in August, compiling a passer rating of 82.1 that surpassed Drew Brees (67.5) and Martin (66.5).

With Favre and the offense coming off a dreadful performance, the Packers can only hope for an about-face in Seattle.

"With practice been as good as it's been and with the extra day, hopefully we'll be a lot sharper this week," said Jagodzinski.

Members online

Latest posts