Favre asked to be released

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
umair said:
i wonder what everyone will say if brett wins the sb with another team, or if he is in our devision and pick our d apart at least 2 times a year.

it not about being a packer fan or favre fan its about whats the smartest thing to do.

its like saying you find a $5000 car for $3000 but later you find a $10000 car for $3000 but you go with the first choice because you told the guy you where going to buy his car.

a rod stays the starting qb because he was promised, WTF?? favre is the better player so he should play. the best man should take the job and brett is the best guy.

Best Post Ever!

Interesting analogy. But Fav-re isn't a $10k for $3k. He is a $10k car for $7k. Plus you have to give it constant attention or it will quit, and it will likely only be around for another year, as opposed to the ten years the $5k car has left in him.

Maybe in your world. At least it doesn't fall apart everytime it's taken out of the garage

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
dd80forever said:
umair said:
i wonder what everyone will say if brett wins the sb with another team, or if he is in our devision and pick our d apart at least 2 times a year.

it not about being a packer fan or favre fan its about whats the smartest thing to do.

its like saying you find a $5000 car for $3000 but later you find a $10000 car for $3000 but you go with the first choice because you told the guy you where going to buy his car.

a rod stays the starting qb because he was promised, WTF?? favre is the better player so he should play. the best man should take the job and brett is the best guy.

Best Post Ever!

Interesting analogy. But Fav-re isn't a $10k for $3k. He is a $10k car for $7k. Plus you have to give it constant attention or it will quit, and it will likely only be around for another year, as opposed to the ten years the $5k car has left in him.

Maybe in your world. At least it doesn't fall apart everytime it's taken out of the garage

Meh, I am not sold on the Rodger's injury thing, although I recognize that it is somewhat of a concern.

I realize that in the heat of some of this discussion, some people may not be paying attention to who is posting. Let me make one this clear - I am not a Packers fan. I cheer for a much better team across the river ;) And as such, my view on this situation is not marred by emotion or betrayal.

First and foremost, Fav-re is one of the greatest QBs to play the game, no question there. However, he is also one of the most selfish people to play the game. Outside WI, the league has known this for years. From his refusal to mentor Rodgers to this flip-flopping the past three years on retirement. This is not out of character for Fav-re in any way.

The fact is that Fav-re is knowingly ******** the Packers by doing this. He is looking out for himself and himself only.There is absolutely no positive way that Fav-re can play football in 2008 without there being some negative effects. When he retired, he told the world that he no longer has it in him to put in the work Monday through Saturday. He can still play ball on Sunday, but he doesn't have the drive and commitment that it takes the rest of the week.

Now, instead of retiring as a legend, one pass away from the superbowl, he is going to come back and try and force one more year. The odds of him performing as well as he did last year, even is he is with the Packers, are low. Most likely, he will be ending his career on a bad note. And he will have forever tarnished the legacy that he had made for himself in Green Bay, and the rest of the NFL.

Just a non-emotional view from a non-Packer fan.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any QB, or NFL player can get hurt at any time........Favre would have missed a couple times had we not had the bye week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
NodakPaul said:
dd80forever said:
umair said:

Best Post Ever!

Meh, I am not sold on the Rodger's injury thing, although I recognize that it is somewhat of a concern.

I realize that in the heat of some of this discussion, some people may not be paying attention to who is posting. Let me make one this clear - I am not a Packers fan. I cheer for a much better team across the river ;) And as such, my view on this situation is not marred by emotion or betrayal.

First and foremost, Fav-re is one of the greatest QBs to play the game, no question there. However, he is also one of the most selfish people to play the game. Outside WI, the league has known this for years. From his refusal to mentor Rodgers to this flip-flopping the past three years on retirement. This is not out of character for Fav-re in any way.

The fact is that Fav-re is knowingly ******** the Packers by doing this. He is looking out for himself and himself only.There is absolutely no positive way that Fav-re can play football in 2008 without there being some negative effects. When he retired, he told the world that he no longer has it in him to put in the work Monday through Saturday. He can still play ball on Sunday, but he doesn't have the drive and commitment that it takes the rest of the week.

Now, instead of retiring as a legend, one pass away from the superbowl, he is going to come back and try and force one more year. The odds of him performing as well as he did last year, even is he is with the Packers, are low. Most likely, he will be ending his career on a bad note. And he will have forever tarnished the legacy that he had made for himself in Green Bay, and the rest of the NFL.

1st and foremost who else thinks he has a slight mental issue with spelling out Fav-re ;P

Anyways...Fan of a team across the river? Would that be The Rams?

the not mentoring Rodgers was taken out of context IMO...He said there were coaches to teach Rodgers and that it wasnt his job to coach him..Even tho it sounded cold, I understood his point.

Rest of the post i can agree with

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree LT....Favre was a player, NOT a coach. I don't think he turned his back on A-Rod......I'm sure he answered his questions if he had any.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
each of us has our own opinions and have the right to them. i truly do see both sides of the issue BUT in the end, it was brett who said in no uncertain terms he was retired & he would NEVER...EVER play for another team again - it just comes down to credibility with me. i appreciate everything he did for the packers franchise, that will NEVER be forgotten but it will always be tainted by this decision - at least for me, that is.

nobody forced him to retire.

4brett4eva

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody here has their opinion. But really the fact of the matter is if you were really Brett you'd feel slighted too. I mean they welcomed his retirement and the part about sending him his old locker!! Yeah REAL CLASSY!! On Brettfavre.com it has an article entitled "Just what every legendary QB needs... His old locker" (Not exact) The point is TT essentially said what a lot of you have, "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!" He is one of the very best QB's EVER! Period!! I have truly hated the 49ers since kicking out Joe Montana!! It's like having a guy on right up until his retirement and firing him so he can't get his retirement money! I think it's wrong and I hate it! I know it's the business of the game but it still doesn't change the fact that they use up somebody until they can do no more and so long! And he isn't done yet and AR has proven NOTHING!!!

4brett4eva

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing, I am 33 and my daughter is only 15. But that brutal cold at the NFCCG has terrible. Maybe his body just couldn't take the cold anymore!! Yeah he said he can't give anymore to this franchise. That's what he said and that's what he meant. It was a truly sad day for him because he knew it would be the last time he played for GB. But if he still wanted to play he would HAVE to go elsewhere. His body would not allow him to play outdoors in the middle of Jan. in Green Bay. It was difficult for him to admit that and that's prolly why he left. So the Packers could get on without him and he could go to better climates. Maybe he felt as though he could lead the Packers to the playoffs but if the weather was like last year he couldn't win for them. I'm just saying. Why are all of you so ready to forget how he really is and give him at least the slightest benefit of the doubt?!

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any QB, or NFL player can get hurt at any time........Favre would have missed a couple times had we not had the bye week.

Yea, Favre is a **** cuz he "might have" missed a game if we didnt have a bye week.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like having a guy on right up until his retirement and firing him so he can't get his retirement money!

Yeah, it's kind of like that, except Favre was not fired, he retired voluntarily, and he's not missing out on his retirement money. So in other words, it's nothing like that at all.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's a helpful hint: If you want to be taken seriously, spell Favre's name right. When you insist on putting a hyphen in his name, it makes it too obvious that you have an agenda. That's why I just skim your posts instead of reading them in their entirety.

HoustonBronco~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In January of 99, I watched my Broncos win their second straight super bowl.

Bubby Brister, who was old, but played well that season, was to be Elway's replacement.

But management decided they needed to move on with their young quarterback, Brian Griese. And a team that had gone 13-3, 12-4, and 14-2 in the past three seasons suddenly fell to 6-10.

From that experience, I can tell you that you should never start a worse player because of his potential. You don't play the games to plan for the future - you play to win. How many young teams that are supposedly "the next big thing" never take that next step? The window of opportunity in the NFL is extremely short, and if you have a legitimate shot at a super bowl, you take it.

Without Favre, I have yet to see any analyst predict Green Bay having a .500 record, let alone winning their division. With Favre, the Packers are a legitimate super bowl contender.

So, are you really going to pass up a chance to win it all so that your career backup gets to see some playing time? Management owes it to the veterans to field the best players rather than try to appease Aaron Rogers.

Anyways, that's my advice, and I hope it goes well. Oh, and like I said last year - Cutler's the next Favre, so if you like that playstyle, start cheering for my Broncos, too. =)

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Here's a helpful hint: If you want to be taken seriously, spell Favre's name right. When you insist on putting a hyphen in his name, it makes it too obvious that you have an agenda. That's why I just skim your posts instead of reading them in their entirety.

Helpful hint taken into consideration. But if you chose to just skim my posts simply because I jokingly spell Fav-re's name the way I do, then that is your loss. I may be mistaken, but I think there most people here have come to realize that I have no agenda. I may cheer for a different team, but I am not a troll, and I make every attempt to put up meaningful posts.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It sounded like MADNESS to everyone. You will replace a FOUR TIME
Superbowl QB w/a left handed impatient hothead QB who hasn't won anything?

[...]

Put it to you this way. If the 49ers had STUCK w/Joe Montana(who was also around 38 at the time) and let Steve Young sit 2 more years...
that would've set Steve Young back too much...

The powers that be knew they HAD to change..even though Joe was clearly better than Steve at that point. It was too devisive to have them together
anymore(teammates would clash)..and they went for the younger option.

Joe was 36 at the time and Steve Young won the MVP of the league in Joe's last year with the 49ers. Thought we had this cleared up?

Facts, FACTS!!

Members online

Latest posts