Favre asked to be released

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is like a kid trapped in an older body. Football is all he knows and now he realizes that he mad a bad choice months ago. He has to realize that once you turn your back you have to keep going that direction and act like a man, not a little girl. You cant afford to kill Rodgers' confidence by pulling the rug out from him which is why they have only strengthened it by shutting the door. As much as I like Favre, he is the one to blame here not our organization, he really needs to grow up.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CONGRATS TEDDY YOU GOT YOUR WISH !!!!! Just remember BE CAREFULL ON WHAT YOU WISH AS YOU MIGHT GET IT....

Is there an echo in here? Let's see, when did I hear these sentiments last? ..........

Ah yes, right before we went 13-3 and were thiiiiiis close to a Super Bowl berth.... So, I guess things are looking good?

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
50 interceptions next season?

With as little time as he'll have to prepare with a whole new team and playbook... he'll easily extend that All-time INT record by at least 10 before whoever picks him up pulls him from the starting position... which is really upsetting to me... because I love the guy and I don't wanna see him go down in flames.

I've gotta say, also... when he retired, I was looking forward to wearing my #4 with pride on Sundays. If he comes back this season in any color other than green and gold... I don't think I'll be able to wear those jerseys anymore without feeling like an idiot for showing support for a situation that's guaranteed to be a running joke for the entire season, if not longer...

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the Packers won't take Favre back
By Tom Silverstein
Friday, Jul 11 2008, 05:48 PM
A lot of people are wondering what is the Packers' rationale in not allowing Brett Favre to return to the team.

Neither general manager Ted Thompson nor coach Mike McCarthy have addressed this issue (even though they need to immediately).

But two sources, one familiar with Thompson and the other with McCarthy, described the thought process as they understood it.

First and foremost, Thompson took Favre at his word that when he announced his retirement that he was finished. There's no question Thompson could have done more to get Favre to come back, but he couldn't wait until June for an answer and he didn't think he needed to talk Favre into playing if he didn't want to.

Still, what would be the harm in letting Favre change his mind and come back for another season? After all, he was one bad throw away from going to the Super Bowl, and chances are the team will be better this year than last year.

According to one of the sources, Thompson has done more than he has let on in regard to giving Favre the opportunity to return. He said Thompson won't reveal those attempts publicly because he doesn't think it's necessary. He said he did not think it was his place to reveal them either.

Apparently, however, one of those instances occurred in late March and early April. According to FOXSports.com, Thompson and McCarthy received word Favre wanted to return, and decided they would be open to the idea. However, a couple of days before they were to meet with Favre to finalize his return, Favre called them and told them he had changed his mind.

As one of the sources said, Thompson sees things in very black and white terms and if he tells someone he'll meet them for lunch at noon or will lend them $50 or or will count every shot on the golf course, he's resolute about doing it. As a player, he fought every season to make the Houston Oilers roster and when his career was over it wasn't by his choice. In his mind, you either want to play or you don't.

Thompson has had a very hard time dealing with Favre's indecision over the past three years, in part because of his NFL background and in part because he doesn't think any one player should be held above the team. He has acknowledged that Favre deserves special consideration because of his status, but he refuses to bend too far for fear that the atmosphere will start to slide back to what it was under Mike Sherman when Favre basically had his way on everything.

Beyond the constant waffling, there are other factors involved.

According to one of the sources, if Favre comes back, the Packers will lose Aaron Rodgers, Favre's presumptive successor, for good. There is no way after three years as a backup and a fourth as a spurned starter, that he will re-sign with the Packers when his contract is up after 2009. His spirit will be broken and his bitterness will be hard to deny.

The Packers will have wasted three years of grooming a quarterback and have only rookies Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn as possible successors. There are no guarantees that Rodgers will be as successful as Favre was last year, but there's also no guarantee that Favre will be as good as he was last year either.

As is the case with most rookie quarterbacks these days, it takes two or three years to develop into a reliable starter. Most NFL insiders have said that Rodgers' situation has been ideal and gives him the best chance to succeed because he wasn't thrown into the fire. There is still plenty of uncertainty about Rodgers and whether he's equipped to be a successful NFL starter, especially where durability is concerned, but the Packers seem sold on him completely.

And there is also the undeniable fact that Favre faltered in the cold and was outplayed by Kyle Orton and Eli Manning in severe weather conditions. Those might have been aberrations, but they certainly are something to consider.

There are also some of the statements Favre made at his retirement press conference that would scare most coaches and general managers, most notably those about being burned out and questioning whether the pressure was getting to him. If Favre was burned out as late as April and hasn't been working out the way he did in recent years, there may be reason to worry about him getting burned out or physically tired during the season.

Thompson's philosophy since becoming general manager in 2005 has been to create an atmosphere of equality and brotherhood in the locker room. When he got there, coach Mike Sherman had created a situation where Favre was given latitude no other player was given. Understandably, he deserved most of it, but his absence from mini-camps and off-season workouts was setting a poor example for the rest of the team.

Both Thompson and McCarthy fought hard to change the dynamics in the locker room and began to demand more accountability from Favre and other veterans. That push and pull to create more of an equal state in the locker room created an undercurrent of tension between Thompson and Favre, who were in different stages of their careers (Thompson at the start of his, Favre at the end of his).

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is acting like a fool and is making our organization a laughing stock of the NFL. We dont want him, so we should trade him and get what we can for him. I love Favre but he lost almost all respect with me because he cannot commit to one thing.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram that was a very nice quote thank you. We all know how complicated this stuff is, but that article really laid it out nicely.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad sad sad day. Under Mike McCarthy, Favre learned a patience that had been lacking in his playing since Holmgren left GB. I wish that patience would've carried over to his decision-making off the field. Then this whole sad mess could've (would've) been avoided.

I am not looking forward to having Favre play somewhere else. That won't be fun at all. But I'm a Packers fan and I'm realistic about the situation. Yes it's ok to change your mind. Yes it's ok for the Packer's org. to stay the current course. But it's ugly. It's not about who screwed up worse (TT vs. Favre), it's just sad.

I don't think TT stabbed anyone in the back, and the only way TT could have stabbed somebody in the back is by doing a 180 right now and reneging on his promise to Rodgers. THAT would be a world-class back-stab. What a sad day.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it within the realm of possibility that Favre asked to be released simply so there is no inkling of doubt that he is staying retired? I'm just sayin'...

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Brett said, "April Fools Day!" when he backed out of the reinstatement the first time around.

No, seriously.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Sad sad sad day. Under Mike McCarthy, Favre learned a patience that had been lacking in his playing since Holmgren left GB. I wish that patience would've carried over to his decision-making off the field. Then this whole sad mess could've (would've) been avoided.

I am not looking forward to having Favre play somewhere else. That won't be fun at all. But I'm a Packers fan and I'm realistic about the situation. Yes it's ok to change your mind. Yes it's ok for the Packer's org. to stay the current course. But it's ugly. It's not about who screwed up worse (TT vs. Favre), it's just sad.

I don't think TT stabbed anyone in the back, and the only way TT could have stabbed somebody in the back is by doing a 180 right now and reneging on his promise to Rodgers. THAT would be a world-class back-stab. What a sad day.

Jesus Bozz!

That is the best post that has been made about this whole mess.

Well Done.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Zero2Cool said:
Favre
Montana

the situations are NOT anything similar at all.

IT doesn't have to be exactly similar.

And this is the main point:

Good GMs see the writing on the wall and make the tough decisions
maybe a year or two earlier than the athlete might like. That's where great players and organizations agree to disagree again.

Brett did what was best for Brett. TT and MM made what they felt was was best LONG TERM for the packers.

Joe Montana trade

Read it and then you'll understand why they have very little in common.

Nice post by the way on Montana.

But again..Ted SEES something in Aaron and is going w/it as
The 49ers did w/Steve Young. Albeit, the 49ers had more evidence for their cause w/Young starting every game and winning the MVP,
but you have to keep in perspective that his seasonal accomplishments meant NOTHING to the 49ers fans because he didn't have a superbowl
ring on his finger.

To the 49ers fans there was NO difference between an season MVP QB Steve Young, and a QB who played 3 quarters like Rodgers. To them they were one in the same and didn't accomplish anything.

TT has much less to base on for Rodgers than Young was based on in SF..
So it's not a direct comparison (I've said this repeatedly).

MY point(again) is that sometimes the GM puts a timetable on the player
before the players wants it. And people can agree to disagree.
In that sense Montana and Favre were given timetables to leave
that they didn't like.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
bozz_2006 said:

Jesus Bozz!

That is the best post that has been made about this whole mess.

Well Done.

2nd.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to one of the sources, Thompson has done more than he has let on in regard to giving Favre the opportunity to return. He said Thompson won't reveal those attempts publicly because he doesn't think it's necessary. He said he did not think it was his place to reveal them either.

I wish I was a fly on the wall. That is the most interesting and soon to be talked about sentence.

Nice post Bozz.

PS Are you really Jesus?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it within the realm of possibility that Favre asked to be released simply so there is no inkling of doubt that he is staying retired? I'm just sayin'...

I was talking abou this with someone else too. Perhaps he wanted to stop the rumor mill about "if" or "if not" and simply make sure it was "if."

It's a sad day, in my personal twenty five year Packer history, don't have anything to equate it to as a fan. I should never have posted when I first heard the news.

We have been spoiled the past couple of decades. Someone else was too.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the news I hear when I first wake up? Really?

Where do I begin...

Well I'm shocked. I'm shocked Favre is doing this.

First...why did he retire in the first place? I declared I wanted him back minutes after the Giants debacle. He had a very good year and there was no physical reason for him to retire. Also, he had to have known, that if he retired, around June\July, he was going to get the itch. Everyone knew he would. When you're doing the same thing for 20 years, and you're changing it up on the 21st, it's gonna be a little weird. Why did he retire in the first place? Ted Thompson, right? ...

Why did Brett lie to us? One of the reasons I love the Packers and the reason I love Favre is because supposedly he's a straight shooter, an honest 'aw shucks' type of guy. He ain't gonna BS ya. Well...he did.

He said he'd never play in another uniform. He will.
He said he'd never play again. He will.

Favre made a huge withdrawal from the first bank of lies.

No matter how you look at it now, Aaron Rodgers is our quarterback. Get on board or keep your mouth shut.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre committed to quit and broke it
TT committed to Rodgers and will keep it

favre never quit because he never turned in his retirement papers and in his conference he didnt say i dont want to play he said i think i dont want to play.

Members online

Latest posts