Favre asked to be released

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way to screw the fans out of their last minute Favre retires jerseys and memorabilia.

I will be rooting for total failure.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe, Joe, Joe.......this sad story is not TT's issue, it is Brett's and Brett's alone. You may not like the decision to lose Favre, but at this point it is the only thing they can do.

Do I and all the other posters wish Favre were playing for us? You bet....if he would have witheld retirement and let the team know so they could make appropriate plans! That being said, the fact that he DID retire, and FORCED the team to move in a new direction...a direction headed by a young QB that had learned the system and was ready to go....creates issues that no team should have to endure.

It would be almost acceptable if the Packers did not have such a clearly defined succession plan at QB......but the FACT that AR was there, and the FACT that Favre knew he was ready to step in upon his exit make this an entirely different scenario. A scenario where I fall on the side of TT and MM.

Favre created this mess, and unfortunately he leaves someone else to take the hit. Complete ********!!

AR has not done anything to prove that he is ready to step in.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe_smoe said:
I as far as I'm concerned the lack of interest and desire packers fans had in wanting brett to come back serves them right. I hope he throws it in all the rogers supporters face!..Ted Thompson might be considered a good GM to most packers fans, but to me he is a disgrace and will forever regret the decision...

GO BRETT GO...I'll still be rooting for you!!!!

Yeah, god forbid we start supporting a member of our favorite team when he is officially replacing a RETIRED member!

Brett stepped down. Then he changed his mind. He made this bed. Enjoy your new purple and yellow #4 sheets that I'm sure you'll be getting for Christmas this year. ;)

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think its that favre does not want to play for the packers, i think its that the packers dont want favre. hell, if i was in teds shoes i would be doing everything i can right now to make brett play again. the packers said that they would like to move on without favre. if he wants to play he has every right to play. dont blame him blame the organization. they are not showing any interest in wanting him back. would you want to play for a team that does not want you?
first thing that pissed me off about favre he didn't come out and actually be straight up and say packers I want to be back ... Then the organisation would of handled it differently ... What tt and mm say was answers to the speculation to medias ... What u want them to say if favre made a natinol retirement ...u want the team to say "oh were still after favre even tho he said I retire and tell everyone were not moving on cause Brett is only qb that could do it and rogers can't " no matter what tt or mm say were perfect they didnt screw up Brett favre did people time to wake up we have rogers release him ...don't waste time it will be to much distraction ... And if its only rumor even better for favre

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know it also occurred to me that the packers might take him back. We can't officially say he is gone until they release him. I would rather resign him, sit Rodgers for a year if only to keep him off Chicago or Minnesota's roster, or Detroits for that matter.

If he signs with either Minny or Chicago then we know there is a lot or resentment toward the Packers.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR has not done anything to prove that he is ready to step in.

Apparently, he has to the coaches and the FO staff. Otherwise they would've brought #4 in post haste.

Say what you will about our opinions of him, and the media and/or league officials opinions, but our coaches say AR is ready to play. And these events prove it more than their words. :shrug:

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One good thing about this is if he does go to another team the Packers will know better than any other team on how to game plan for him. I imagine most of the Packer players will want to stomp a mudhole in him too. That will get them up for the game.

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe, Joe, Joe.......this sad story is not TT's issue, it is Brett's and Brett's alone. You may not like the decision to lose Favre, but at this point it is the only thing they can do.

Do I and all the other posters wish Favre were playing for us? You bet....if he would have witheld retirement and let the team know so they could make appropriate plans! That being said, the fact that he DID retire, and FORCED the team to move in a new direction...a direction headed by a young QB that had learned the system and was ready to go....creates issues that no team should have to endure.

It would be almost acceptable if the Packers did not have such a clearly defined succession plan at QB......but the FACT that AR was there, and the FACT that Favre knew he was ready to step in upon his exit make this an entirely different scenario. A scenario where I fall on the side of TT and MM.

Favre created this mess, and unfortunately he leaves someone else to take the hit. Complete ********!!

ITs TT's fault, twice he had an opportunity at Moss and passed on him...We all know that is what ticked brett off as much as u might not want to admit it, it IS WHY HE RETIRED...We all criticized moss and said he had a horrible attitude, but low and behold tom brady continually praises him and says how good of an upstanding citizen moss is...Then look at the numbers moss had, for all u who said he was overated, he broke jerry rice's record!!!!...Proves one thing favre knows football and knew moss had it, TT just stock piles draft pics and builds, builds, builds...We'll the present passed him by as we had a shot at a superbowl, but unstead TT went with an unproven 1st rounder...

If I was favre and TT treated me without respect by not going after moss twice when we had the money and as cheaply as moss was signed for or by sending me a text saying he was on vacation I woulda left too.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Apparently, he has to the coaches and the FO staff. Otherwise they would've brought #4 in post haste.

Say what you will about our opinions of him, and the media and/or league officials opinions, but our coaches say AR is ready to play. And these events prove it more than their words. :shrug:

AMEN.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the problem PIB

they THINK Rodgers can succeed

They KNOW Favre can succeed

Who do you want to captian our ship when it is so close to the ultimate port?

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not an AR fan, dont even know the kid and wont judge until i see him play a full season. but this is a horrible move by favre...
you had it all brett, respect, known as the packer's iron man, mr monday night, and your ready and willing to throw it all away without a sliver of a garantee that you can even bring the same magic to another team...
too many have made this mystake and it seems brett is the next name to add to that list.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair....you know what I mean and are parsing words to suit your mood.

No, we do not know what AR will be, but we do know that he is ready to step in and play. Whether that be good or bad I do not know yet....his performance will tell us soon enough.

But, he had been taught, understands the system completely, and is ready to take the reins. My point, which you must have willingly overlooked, is that the next option is on the roster, and that there is no question as to the succession of #4 when he left....and Brett knew that better than anyone else....which makes this even more bothersome.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
i dont think its that favre does not want to play for the packers, i think its that the packers dont want favre. hell, if i was in teds shoes i would be doing everything i can right now to make brett play again. the packers said that they would like to move on without favre. if he wants to play he has every right to play. dont blame him blame the organization. they are not showing any interest in wanting him back. would you want to play for a team that does not want you?
first thing that pissed me off about favre he didn't come out and actually be straight up and say packers I want to be back ... Then the organisation would of handled it differently ... What tt and mm say was answers to the speculation to medias ... What u want them to say if favre made a natinol retirement ...u want the team to say "oh were still after favre even tho he said I retire and tell everyone were not moving on cause Brett is only qb that could do it and rogers can't " no matter what tt or mm say were perfect they didnt screw up Brett favre did people time to wake up we have rogers release him ...don't waste time it will be to much distraction ... And if its only rumor even better for favre

it was and still is the biggest talk in the nfl right now, the least they could have done is asked him if he wanted to play or tell him they dont want him to play for that packers and they did imply that they dont want him.

what i dont get is how do you not want the most respected/ one of the best nfl qbs back. it just does not mkae any sense at all.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the problem PIB

While I get see your point, I don't know that Brett can. He's a year older, and only one year of the last how many? he's played a disciplined game. No guarantee that he'll play by MM's rules again. There was a lot of magic to get us to 13-3 last year, and it fizzled when Brett made that bad bad throw to Corey freakin Webster (and Al got blowed up all game).

If we bring Brett back now, Aaron won't play start a game in GB. He'll ask for a trade or release this year, and I would do the same. (speculation) So then, say we miss out again this year (any given sunday, esp. in the playoffs) and Brett calls it a career, no comeback, nothing. That leaves us with a shaky Brian Brohm as our starter and a huge ? for who knows how long @ QB. That's my thinking.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with Diggs on this. Brett made his bed.

If we can trade him for a draft pick that would be good. At this point I don't even care of he does goe to MN or Chicago. If there is one team that will be able to play against him, it's us. It's sad that it has come to this and mostly because he did it.

I too remember the 'never play for anyone else' comments.

I'm a Packer fan and will be wearing my Driver jersey from here on out.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am officially embarssed to be a Packers fan due to this board's reaction alone. This is pathetic.

The guy played 16 years for you, gave it his all. Played in GB year after year. Brought god knows how many FA's to GB. Played with broken bones and concussions. Had ONE losing season.

It's one thing to have the view that Rodgers is the future and you don't want Favre back. Thats a valid view and that is what the Packers are saying. Why are you saying these comments like "******" and "i will never forive you" and "don't let the door hit you on the way out", etc. People saying that are the most spoiled fans in the world. You got an unbelievable talent that played his whole career for you. He wanted to come back (BIG f'n deal - lots of athletes retire and come back - Strahan won a SB that way) and the Packers don't want him, so he's going somewhere else.

Michael Jordan played for the Wizards. Lombardi came back with the Redskins AFTER the Packers. This is unbelievable this reaction. Imagine if Elway retired, wanted to come back and the Broncos had moved on with Griese at the time (that worked out great btw) and the Broncos fans acting like this. This is absurd.

In the end, lets go Packers, AR whether all of us want him or not, is our QB. Let's go Packers and best of luck to Favre, I'll be cheering for you unless your playing the Packers.

Relax everyone. You hate him forever now because he changed his mind? WOW. And its not like he wanted ot play elsewhere, he wanted ot play for the Packers, they didn't want him.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe smoe...name says it all.

We passed on Moss to retain our very talented WRs.

The team is called the GB Packers...when they are the "Favre's" your point might make sense.

Yeah...TT has built,built and built...to the point we made it to the NFC Championship game. You act as if we went 4 - 12 last year!!

A game, I might point out, that Favre looked disinclined to be a part of when he rolled out of the tunnel. Dude looked more concerned about his frosted tootsies than the Giants.

There is a potential uncapped year looming....a year or years that will require small market teams to be financially smart. Sadly for you, TT has and entire TEAM's interests at heart, and cares about this year and beyond....something most fans do not grasp or care about.

Ciao........shed a few tears for Brett in your beer this weekend

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is brett to blame?

1. Brett wants to play football.
2. Brett wanted to play for the Packers
3. Packers do not want Brett anymore

So what is Brett supposed to do? The guy is entitled to do what he wants, earn a living, and that is through football if he is good enough (we know he is..)

He wants to play football. Why begrudge him that if that is what he wants to do? The Packers are causing the request for release and need to play for another team.

Speaking of which, do you think the Phones are ringing off the hook on Lombardi Ave. from other teams looking for a quickie trade?

Furthermore, I will be upset if the Packers release him. way too much value just to release. Tell us who you want to play for Brett and we will work with those teams on a trade.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am officially embarssed to be a Packers fan due to this board's reaction alone. This is pathetic.

The guy played 16 years for you, gave it his all. Played in GB year after year. Brought god knows how many FA's to GB. Played with broken bones and concussions. Had ONE losing season.

It's one thing to have the view that Rodgers is the future and you don't want Favre back. Thats a valid view and that is what the Packers are saying. Why are you saying these comments like "******" and "i will never forive you" and "don't let the door hit you on the way out", etc. People saying that are the most spoiled fans in the world. You got an unbelievable talent that played his whole career for you. He wanted to come back (BIG f'n deal - lots of athletes retire and come back - Strahan won a SB that way) and the Packers don't want him, so he's going somewhere else.

Michael Jordan played for the Wizards. Lombardi came back with the Redskins AFTER the Packers. This is unbelievable this reaction. Imagine if Elway retired, wanted to come back and the Broncos had moved on with Griese at the time (that worked out great btw) and the Broncos fans acting like this. This is absurd.

In the end, lets go Packers, AR whether all of us want him or not, is our QB. Let's go Packers and best of luck to Favre, I'll be cheering for you unless your playing the Packers.

Relax everyone. You hate him forever now because he changed his mind? WOW. And its not like he wanted ot play elsewhere, he wanted ot play for the Packers, they didn't want him.

+1, i could not have said it better my self!

PREECH ON BROTHA, LOL.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
screw all of this. knew he never wanted to retire in the first place. oh lets move on with a guy thats unproven. screw it all you got a hall of fame qb that has done everything and gets ******* on

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Here is the problem PIB

While I get see your point, I don't know that Brett can. He's a year older, and only one year of the last how many? he's played a disciplined game. No guarantee that he'll play by MM's rules again. There was a lot of magic to get us to 13-3 last year, and it fizzled when Brett made that bad bad throw to Corey freakin Webster (and Al got blowed up all game).

If we bring Brett back now, Aaron won't play start a game in GB. He'll ask for a trade or release this year, and I would do the same. (speculation) So then, say we miss out again this year (any given sunday, esp. in the playoffs) and Brett calls it a career, no comeback, nothing. That leaves us with a shaky Brian Brohm as our starter and a huge ? for who knows how long @ QB. That's my thinking.

I get that too, but what if Rodgers isn't as good as advertised. I heard this Broncos fan call in to ESPN radio. He was talking about how after Elway retired, the whole city was so excited about Griese (son of a HOF'er, etc), only be very disappointed. It happens. And he said after that, they were willing to take Elway in a wheelchair. I get the argument that Favre could be done but I think a lot of people (not all) have this odd assumption that Rodgers is going to be awesome. QB's in the NFL, nothing is guaranteed. Just seems strange to me to release a QB that finished with over 4000 yards, 28 TD's and the Pro Bowl starter for a kid that hasn't started a game yet. But thats just opinion.

We got Rodgers now, we have no choice but to support him. I wouldn't have made the same move, but I'm not TT, I'm not the one who is going to have live with whatever decision I would make, it's him. His legacy will always be tied to Rodgers now. If Rodgers stinks it up or bolts after 2 years, people are not going to be happy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts