Favre article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JASON WILDE 608-252-6176
December 30, 2006

GREEN BAY - Leaning against the hood of his oversized white pickup truck as it sat Friday in the bowels of Lambeau Field, Brett Favre went through it all again.

All the possibilities.

All the pros and cons.

All the outside opinions.

"I'm well aware of all the scenarios or what-ifs, and the this-could-happens and that-could-happens," the Green Bay Packers quarterback said, two days before what would be his final NFL game - Sunday night against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field - if his team misses the playoffs and he decides to retire after the season. "(But) I don't know exactly what will be the determining factor."

Bottom line? He's made up his mind not to make up his mind. That might not seem like much, but it's a different attitude than he had last year, when he entered the season finale against Seattle having decided he wasn't coming back.

He never told anyone, but that was his plan. Only after then-coach Mike Sherman told him after that game to take some time to think about it did Favre arrive at his late-April decision to return for his 16th NFL season.

"I really thought last year was going to be it. So I was more ready for it last year," said Favre, who has completed 322 of 571 passes (56.4 percent) for 3,600 yards and 17 touchdowns with 17 interceptions this season. "But I'm not going to have my mind made up one way or another."•

Favre sees potential The prevailing opinion is Favre owes it to himself to come back.

He's spent most of the year playing behind three rookie offensive linemen - part of a roster with 19 rookies and first-year players - and while the playoffs are no sure thing, at least there's been marked improvement.

"I see a lot of potential here. I've said that. But there's always, 'What if?' " Favre said. "What if we're in this situation again? (When) I say 'this situation,' we have a chance at the playoffs, as crazy as that may sound, because we're not playing great. ... We can't score a touchdown, (but) we've won a couple games (anyway). Go figure.

"In some ways, I've felt like, 'Yeah, why not give it another shot?' In other ways, most ways, (I've felt like), 'I've done a lot in this game, had a lot of success individually and as a team, that there's nothing left really out there for me.'

"I know sometimes people say, 'Come back and go out on top.' But what if you don't? There's always that chance. So I don't know."

What Favre does know is the Packers' record might belie just how much improvement they've made. True, a victory Sunday night would double their win total from a year ago, but they lost seven games by seven points or fewer last season and have won their last two games despite scoring just one offensive touchdown.

"Hey, we've got a long ways to go," Favre said. "And I don't have that much time." •

Play an issue Favre also acknowledges he has to play better than he has this season. In fact, for as repetitive as the retirement talk is for him, the only time Favre became agitated during the 12-minute conversation Friday was when he brought up his own play this season.

With a passer rating of 72.9, Favre ranks 25th in the NFL, behind such luminaries as Chicago's Rex Grossman, Detroit's Jon Kitna, Arizona's Matt Leinart, even San Francisco's Alex Smith. And like his young team, Favre's performance has fluctuated.

After tossing an NFL-high and career-worst 29 interceptions last year, he's played six full games in which he didn't throw an interception and the Packers are 5-1 in those games. At the same time, he's had seven games in which he's thrown multiple interceptions, including three on Dec. 17 against Detroit and two on Dec. 21 against Minnesota - games the Packers won almost in spite of him.

"I expect to be more productive, and I'm not, for whatever reason. I could point to a lot of those, but the bottom line is, I'm not as productive," said Favre, who needs offseason surgery - whether he plays next year or not - to clean out "pretty awful" calcium buildup and bone spurs in his left ankle. "Thank goodness our defense has pulled us through the last few games." •

Cost no issue Favre is signed through 2011 and is scheduled to earn an $11 million base salary in 2007.

The Packers have effectively managed their cap, so the cost of keeping him isn't an issue, and coach Mike McCarthy, who has been unwilling to discuss Favre's situation since telling two national NFL writers earlier this season he wants Favre to return, has repeatedly said, "Brett Favre is under contract. And that's the way we view it until we're told otherwise."

Favre needs offseason surgery to clean out "pretty awful" calcium buildup and bone spurs in his left ankle. But it's clear his teammates want him back.

"Purely in terms of football, there's no question he should be back," veteran right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "I don't think people realize how good he is. I really don't. Everybody looks at the mistakes that he makes, but they (don't look at) the situations we're in when the mistakes happen."

But Tauscher also admitted he's as clueless as everyone else as to what Favre will do.

All we know is this: Whether Favre returns won't hinge on whether the Packers beat the Bears and sneak into the playoffs.

It won't hinge on his family's input, because "it's easy to say, 'Aw, go back and play.' Because (they) only see the 3 hours of the game. You don't really see all the other stuff."

And it won't be for NFL career records, even as he stands seven TDs behind Dan Marino's record of 420 touchdowns.

"Am I having fun? I'm glad I came back. I really am," Favre said. "If I'm out there next year, throwing a touchdown pass and running down the field, (you'll say), 'Man, it looks like he's having a blast.' I know I will do that. And I will do that until they drag me off the field.

"But there's so much more to it than that. Do I have feelings going into this game? Until you get away from (the game), I don't know what it's like because I've never gotten away from it. I don't know what that feels like. So to me, (Sunday's game) is just another game. It may be the last, but to me, it's just another game."

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's coming back. I'd be incredibly surprised if he chose not to. I can't imainge what he's going through however as he's winding down his career. Some people just know when it's time to quit, others hang on as long as they can. I think Brett really is trying to figure out whether it's time or not.

If I were him, I'd go to Ted Thompson and ask him if he was going to get him some help at receiver and tight end. If the answer is yes, I'd come back. If the answer is no, I'd say adios, get on my tractor and leave town.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i really hope he comes back, if he does not this team will take a step backwards.

thanks for the articls, it was a good read.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should come back, the coming year is the 50th anniversary of Lambeau Field. Be back for that.

A good reason to be back. :)

The main reason I want him back is for total wins. He'll need to play another year to break that record. Two more years might just put that record out of reach for a long time. :packbeer:

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
He should come back, the coming year is the 50th anniversary of Lambeau Field. Be back for that.

A good reason to be back. :)

The main reason I want him back is for total wins. He'll need to play another year to break that record. Two more years might just put that record out of reach for a long time. :packbeer:

The main reason i want #4 back is b/c he is the Packers best chance at winning!

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr,

Dittos, yet I wonder why so many so called "fans" don't understand that?? Likewise, I wonder if TT believes that; his actions don't seem to "support" it??

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From another forum but worth the read. You make up your own minds !!!

'Favre's decision last year, just like his decision about 2007, aren't about him. It's about whether TT and the organization are willing to do enough to give him better than a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Favre wants to play. The fact that he was just voted an alternate to the Pro-Bowl indicates that fellow players and coaches around the league still respect him as one of the better QBs in the NFC, and that, in fact, he CAN still play.

But Favre doesn't want to hang around for another couple of years, drawing heat when he can't make plays behind TT's rookie O-line, throwing to rookie receivers who are always double-covered because defenses don't have to respect the running game. McGinn said that Favre is "fading fast". Well, yeah... the guy is 37 years old and is STILL being asked to carry the team (based on the # of pass attempts/game) by throwing to one reliable receiver and a bunch of guys who can't catch because they lack experience, are playing injured or had marginal talent to begin with. Favre has stated throughout his career that his strength is play-action. Where's the running game that Pittsburg macho promised?

Favre won't make his decision -- and will use his "star power", fan base and ability to make a rebuilding team a team to watch -- as a negotiating tactic to get what he wants and needs: for TT to make some judicious moves in Free Agency. A promise to get Clinton Portis (or another playmaker), for example, would help make Favre's decision to come back a whole lot easier. A 3rd receiver who can stretch the field (or a TE who can catch) to ensure that the team can still field 2 legitimate threats if (when) DD or Jennings go down wouldn't hurt either.

A couple of years ago, Steve Young said that he decided to call it quits when he realized that the organization couldn't, or wouldn't, surround him with a supporting cast any longer. Favre has to decide whether he's facing the same scenario or not.

TT has stated publicly that he wants and expects Favre to return. I hope that's true, but I also believe that actions speak louder than words. It's what he says and does behind closed doors that will decide whether Favre returns or not.

Have patience... let the Favre/TT/McCarthy drama run its course. If Favre annouces his return, look for GB to announce that they've landed another playmaker or two in FA. If Favre calls it quits, watch for several other vets to "retire" as TT allows the team to bottom out so he can draft a few high first round draft picks, including another 1st or 2nd round QB to compete with AR.

Personally, I'm not ready for GB to become the next SF, Detroit or Oakland, waiting to see whether TT's high draft picks turn out to be playermakers or busts. Not while Favre still has the ability to play at a level that gets him voted an alternate to the pro-bowl. I'm not saying that TT should mortgage the farm like Denver did to send Elway out with rings, but TT's got cash in the bank to get another playmaker to two. I hope he does - and that #4 sees enough to want to come back for another round".

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnepegPacker fan- I have read your post from another forum and find it to contain this inaccuracy. Quote"A couple of years ago, Steve Young said that he decided to call it quits when he realized that the organization couldn't, or wouldn't, surround him with a supporting cast any longer. Favre has to decide whether he's facing the same scenario or not"

This is fact- Concussions forced Steve Young to retire, the last one just two weeks before his 38th birthday. . My source for Steve Young retirement is article in 12/30/06 Green Bay Press-Gazette by Don Pierson of the Chicago Tribune titled "Will Favre hit the wall at age 38?" Favre is healthy, Steve Young was concussion prone and had to retire. Therefore Favre is not facing the same scenario.

A column witten by Pete Dougherty in 12/31/06 Green Bay Press-Gazette or posted in packersnews.com entitled "Praise, and call for patience" "A Scout likes what he sees from the Packers" would be more accurate than this negative posting from another forum.

In opinion of this Green Bay born long time Packer fan,this poster from another forum is "off the wall" on his opinions concerning the Packers and will be proved wrong by what happens in '07. Sure will not be anything like he expects to happen to the Packers in '07!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From another forum but worth the read. You make up your own minds !!!

'Favre's decision last year, just like his decision about 2007, aren't about him. It's about whether TT and the organization are willing to do enough to give him better than a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Favre wants to play. The fact that he was just voted an alternate to the Pro-Bowl indicates that fellow players and coaches around the league still respect him as one of the better QBs in the NFC, and that, in fact, he CAN still play.

But Favre doesn't want to hang around for another couple of years, drawing heat when he can't make plays behind TT's rookie O-line, throwing to rookie receivers who are always double-covered because defenses don't have to respect the running game. McGinn said that Favre is "fading fast". Well, yeah... the guy is 37 years old and is STILL being asked to carry the team (based on the # of pass attempts/game) by throwing to one reliable receiver and a bunch of guys who can't catch because they lack experience, are playing injured or had marginal talent to begin with. Favre has stated throughout his career that his strength is play-action. Where's the running game that Pittsburg macho promised?

Favre won't make his decision -- and will use his "star power", fan base and ability to make a rebuilding team a team to watch -- as a negotiating tactic to get what he wants and needs: for TT to make some judicious moves in Free Agency. A promise to get Clinton Portis (or another playmaker), for example, would help make Favre's decision to come back a whole lot easier. A 3rd receiver who can stretch the field (or a TE who can catch) to ensure that the team can still field 2 legitimate threats if (when) DD or Jennings go down wouldn't hurt either.

A couple of years ago, Steve Young said that he decided to call it quits when he realized that the organization couldn't, or wouldn't, surround him with a supporting cast any longer. Favre has to decide whether he's facing the same scenario or not.

TT has stated publicly that he wants and expects Favre to return. I hope that's true, but I also believe that actions speak louder than words. It's what he says and does behind closed doors that will decide whether Favre returns or not.

Have patience... let the Favre/TT/McCarthy drama run its course. If Favre annouces his return, look for GB to announce that they've landed another playmaker or two in FA. If Favre calls it quits, watch for several other vets to "retire" as TT allows the team to bottom out so he can draft a few high first round draft picks, including another 1st or 2nd round QB to compete with AR.

Personally, I'm not ready for GB to become the next SF, Detroit or Oakland, waiting to see whether TT's high draft picks turn out to be playermakers or busts. Not while Favre still has the ability to play at a level that gets him voted an alternate to the pro-bowl. I'm not saying that TT should mortgage the farm like Denver did to send Elway out with rings, but TT's got cash in the bank to get another playmaker to two. I hope he does - and that #4 sees enough to want to come back for another round".

This is the best, most accurate assessment I've seen yet..and says it all in a nutshell.

PWT..i HEARD Steve Young say this last year on TV...that is an exact quote of what he stated...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that Mccarthy and TT 'demanded' Favre give them an answer a lot sooner than last years ******** tells me they care, so they can get the talent to fit the situation, but to conspiracy theorits, its jut disrespectful.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You mean the ******** where TT said "Take as much time as you need to make your decision..."

Or the ******** where certain posters kept saying that "Favre was holding the Packers hostage" last year...???

Or was it the ******** about this not being a "rebuilding year" on the part of the Packer's management..?

How about TT, MM, and Favre sitting down and talking at the end of the year, and TT being honest with Favre this year about how he's going to develop the team in '07 and finally make an effort to give Favre the legitimate weapons in FA that everyone's saying he's going to do in his third year as GM..or if not..have the decency to let Favre know so he can consider other options...???

Or is that too much to ask of Packer management and what you mean by being disrespectful..?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yep, not putting up with Favres ******** this offseason. I like favre, but that was ****** up.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I guess your calling TT and MM liars since they said he could "take as much time as he needed to make his decision"..??

Interesting...

And I guess that it was the utmost in integrity for TT not to let Favre know SOONER rather than later that this was going to be a rebuilding year for the Packers as well...?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess respect is only a one way street for some...

Yes..

nice article.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gonna get an answer sooner this year. thats the point. it helps management with offseason acquisitions. i know you're head of the "missed the point" club and all, but try and not be totally ((EDITED))

(trying to avoid ban # 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts