Favre and the deep ball

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think: is Favre no longer as accurate with those deep passes or was it the receivers/good defense?

To me to it looked like he was just trying to get something in there, but the Ravens swarmed for the ball as soon as it was launched.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
both...DD cut off a route on one of the picks, they were short arming some balls too, but otherwise he's just whipping it up there not giving a darn about what happens.

Like you say, all of those deep balls were into, at least, double coverage.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, but what about the other games this season? And for the last few years actually.

I grimace everytime Favre heaves it because it has been coming up as an interception for years. Sometimes it pans out, but it just doesn't seem nearly as often as other teams like the Colts or '98-'01 Rams.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ummm rabid...

Could be that the Packers don't have near the "talent" at receiver that the Colts or the Rams have..now couldn't it?

in other words..they suck!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[email protected]'m going to get you a christmas present. It's going to be a copy of the tape of the Raiders v. Packers MNF game after Brett's dad's death.

The wrs bailed his butt out that game, and have in many other games, just like Brett has made other wrs better. It's not a one-way street.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Could be that the Packers don't have near the "talent" at receiver that the Colts or the Rams have..now couldn't it?

Brooks, Freeman and Beebe were great.

Brooks, Freeman and Shroeder were great.

Freeman, Schroeder, Bradford were great.

Driver, Glenn, Walker were great.

Walker, Driver, Ferguson were great (2003).

With any of those combinations we could have been just fine, but I think Brett has always had trouble with the deep ball. All the combinations I named are nearly equal to, if not better than Harrison, Wayne and Stokely.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's relied on his wrs making the play...I agree, his accuracy is average on the long ball.

I'm not sure that I'd say some of those combos are quite as good as the colts (schroeder), but he's had other greats like Chmura, Sharpe, Keith Jackson, Rison, and as you say, the 2003 and 2004 group was very good, and I'd say they were in the same ballpark as the colts/rams!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No they aren't..imo (Beebe, Shroeder, Bradford, & Ferguson..were..again..imo..far from "great"..Also..SherRossley didn't use Terry Glenn correctly...look at what he is doing in Dallas this year!)

also..didn't you hear Madden say..in the last 5 years the GB Packers have really become a "running team.."

and I agree...i think that has had something to do with it....

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terry Glenn's stats...
Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD
2002 Green Bay Packers 15 14 56 817 14.6 49 2
2003 Dallas Cowboys 16 14 52 754 14.5 51 5
2004 Dallas Cowboys 6 6 24 400 16.7 48 2
2005 Dallas Cowboys 14 14 56 1004 17.9 71 6

Stats are fairly comparable.

You are right that Beebe, Shroeder, Bradford...aren't up to par...but Rison, Jackson, Chmura, Freeman, Walker, Driver, Sharpe, and brooks were all very good targets, plus he's had good receiving backs such as Ahman, and esp. Bennett (not that they're long ball threats). Point being, he's had some legit targets.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
[email protected]'m going to get you a christmas present. It's going to be a copy of the tape of the Raiders v. Packers MNF game after Brett's dad's death.

The wrs bailed his butt out that game, and have in many other games, just like Brett has made other wrs better. It's not a one-way street.

That's a very good point. The WRs made a few great catches in that game on passes that were not on the money. Favre has always been a high risk-high reward player.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No they aren't..imo (Beebe, Shroeder, Bradford, & Ferguson..were..again..imo..far from "great"..Also..SherRossley didn't use Terry Glenn correctly...look at what he is doing in Dallas this year!)

also..didn't you hear Madden say..in the last 5 years the GB Packers have really become a "running team.."

and I agree...i think that has had something to do with it....

Regarding Terry Glenn. He was considered soft because he was nicked up a lot. But the reason for that was he always gave himself up for the ball and went after everthing that came his way. He either hit the turf hard or was hit hard a lot. Plus, he's got great hands. I was pissed when they dropped him.
Hammer

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has never really been an accurate deep ball thrower. He excels at the 20 - 40 yard pass thrown with intent. For him, accuracy increases with velocity....and yet, we still refuse to play to his strengths.

Sherman and Rossley have him doing a Jim Plunkett impression with that crappy, slow long ball they keep dialing up.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre's predictable long ball, endzone interceptions are tedious. He just can't or won't adjust to having rookies around him, many third string. I hope next year, and I know he'll be back for one more shot, we get all our regulars back and can redeem ourselves. Brett looks terrible this year. I hate ESPN, but I have nothing else to listen to on the way to work. The guys are really not dissing the legend, but they are pointing out his horrible year. I hate to agree with them, since I don't care for them, but Brett refuses to change his style and this year it just doesn't work.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're exactly right ppierce...

Brett really hasn't lost much of anything, he can still play. And yes, he's surrounded by a lack of talent, but you still have to be able to adjust and play intelligently...I used to look forward to him winding up and whipping it down the field...now I cringe.

To his defense last night, it seemed like Samkon's injury was when the whole team shut it down while he kept trying.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
you're exactly right ppierce...

Brett really hasn't lost much of anything, he can still play. And yes, he's surrounded by a lack of talent, but you still have to be able to adjust and play intelligently...I used to look forward to him winding up and whipping it down the field...now I cringe.

To his defense last night, it seemed like Samkon's injury was when the whole team shut it down while he kept trying.

I'll agree with that. The team did look out of sinc from the start, though.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality is that, even when healthy, this offense never found a rhythm all year...and if we are honest, for several years. Except in the past, sheer talent was sufficient to overcome the randomness of the offensive scheme.

Bottom line is this offensive scheme is a walking dinosaur that people figured out several years ago..........'cept our coaches have yet to figure that out.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When have you seen a deep receiver open..or not double or triple covered?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts