favre 70-30 on returning

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
USA Today reports quarterback will come back in 2006

New Packers coach Mike McCarthy reportedly plans to meet soon with Brett Favre . Packers insiders believe Favre is 70-30 leaning toward returning, but he won't make a decision until after Feb. 15, according to a report in USA Today.

McCarthy plans to meet with Favre after he is finished scouting players and seeking assistant coaches for his staff at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. A report earlier this week said that McCarthy will drive to Hattiesburg, Miss., where Favre resides in the off-season.

Favre has a $10 million salary cap number for 2006, and his retirement would accelerate $2.4 million of unamortized signing bonus into the cap. But his departure would create a net gain of $7.6 million in cap room because his $7 million base salary and $3 million roster bonus would be wiped off the books.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....and Favre would probably be willing to make salary adjustments if the Pack would go into FA and get a guard or two to fix that mess.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I were Favre...

I wouldn't come back unless TT swore in blood that he would go after VETERAN receivers like Moulds and Gardner to compliment Driver and Walker....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Brett would be more concerned with TT getting some OL players and a running game going. I think he has a lot of faith in Walker and Driver but not in the interior of the OL.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah TO..

BUT..

Driver's getting older...Walker's coming off a serious injury...and who's your third guy? No..this team needs insurance at WR...

People who can friggin' open...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying we don't need some better depth at WR, but the greater concern has to be the OL and the running game IMO. The two best years Brett's had in recent times have been the years when our running game has been the best (i.e. 2002 and 2003). I don't think TT is planning to sign a whole bunch of guys so I think the focus will and should be on rebuilding the OL (of course this changes if Walker doesn't come all the way back or if Murphy can't play again).

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Does anybody have a link to this story? I couldn't find it on USA Today's website.

It was on Yahoo. I copied and pasted the whole thing Go to the Packers team Homepage in Yahoo sports

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree quality wide outs who can get seperation are what we need on offense. That will open up the running game. The OL will improve sometimes that takes a little time working together and such.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In PackerNet it was stated that report came from NFL Network.
I still say we got to fix the line. Period. The numbers show QB pressures were up to over 100 last year vs. 62 the previous year. It don't matter who Brett's throwing to if he's out there running for his life all the time. A running game will surely help but we have to have the guys up front to block for that to happen. We were in a bad spot last year losing our guards and not having any $ to keep or replace them.
Walker coming back is huge as it puts Driver back at the #2 and I doubt BF has a problem with that. Not many #1 CB's can stay with Walker and very few #2's will hang with Driver. Give BF a little time and it's all she wrote.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying that they don't have to fix the O-Line and running game...

BUT..

Last year, the play calling was SOOOO predictable, and the wideouts couldn't get seperation, were running poor routes, and were not on the same page with their QB...bascially..it was a MESS....

So, If Walker doesn't come back 100%..teams double up DD and you have the same situation...that's why I think we need some quality insurance at WR!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the offensive line was actually kinda good near the end of the season(when gado ripped up those 100+ first halves). Pass protection coulda been better, and it will be, only by the fact that it cant get any worse! Whitticker is a year older, and with an offensive HC, im sure he'll want a good oline as much as favre does.

As far as favre coming back. Packers insiders? Driver last year said he thought favre would retire. This is favres teammate and friend. And favre came back. When I clicked on this post, I thought it was gonna be a favre quote, but it wasnt. so im not listening to much of this stuff.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tromadz wrote: Pass protection coulda been better, and it will be, only by the fact that it cant get any worse! Whitticker is a year older, and with an offensive HC, im sure he'll want a good oline as much as favre does.

The Packers interior line got bull rushed and blitzed too easily last year. Whittaker needs a year in the weight room and also leverage coaching. I think Reugamer would have made more sense at RG. Flanny was only going at 70% all year and LG, I don't even want to think about anymore. Just keeping Wahle would have saved 5 or more games.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I think Brett would be more concerned with TT getting some OL players and a running game going. I think he has a lot of faith in Walker and Driver but not in the interior of the OL.

As I this is a good point, I think our running game will be just fine if our OL can pull their weight. Green and Gado ... teams will fear that. UNLESS Green is not near the same player he used to be. Commentes about Green. He was injured last year and this year it finally gave out. No excuse but it helps explain his shoddy last half of the season and this early portion of this season. Green also hinted on JSOnline that he doenst need to be the starter. He also said he wants to be back in GB and understands the situation he's in. Meaning he knows hes not gonna get BIG MONEY. Him knowing his situation also means he understands all the other good FA RB's out there.

All that info makes me think Green will sign jus about any incentive laden contract with GB. He's a fighter and someone who when told he can't do it, he does it. He uses doubt as more motivation.

Point here, OL is the bigger worry. TT tells Brett we're gonna find two G's this year even if we have to dip the pocket book. I'm thinking Brett says 'here, park my tractor i have 19 games to play'

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Chatman is a great #3 WR. IF Driver is still good, and IF Walker comes back 100%..........they could be great. And Gardner could be useful too.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still say..get someone like Moulds from Buffalo....

Then you'd have Walker, Moulds, Driver, Gardner, Chatman..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true.......Chatman does nothing after the catch. But he DOES catch it, which is good. He doesn't let many get past him. It's true, TT doesn't like to go after the big name FA's. So hopefully they can pick up a good WR in the draft, and hopefully Murphy CAN play again. He looked really good before he got hurt. (The story of last year really.....)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts