Favorite Non-Playoff Game

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you had access to every Packers game ever played but could only watch one game, what game would you pick? You can choose a Super Bowl or playoff game, but those seemed kind of obvious so I thought I'd ask for favorite non-playoff game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If you had access to every Packers game ever played but could only watch one game, what game would you pick?

I´ve only been able to watch every Packers game live since 2009 when the NFL introduced the game pass to Europe. Over that period I have to go with the Packers 28-24 win over the Favre-led Vikings in 2010 at Lambeau.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'07 @ Dallas. Yes the Packers lost but it calmed all of my nerves for life after Brett Favre. I didn't think Aaron would be this good but there would be football worth watching after #4, and for a time there I really didn't think there would be. Favre was God, if he wasn't going to be the QB, then why watch... well this game answered that question for me.

Great Question btw

H

HardRightEdge

For sheer excitement, two back-and-forth shootout games stick in my mind:

The 1983 Monday Night win against the Redskins.

The 2009 playoff game against Arizona. You asked for non-playoff games, but I figured since this was a loss it will be excused.

Though the latter game was a very disappointing Packer loss, it's hard for me to overlook the fact that Warner's performance was probably the finest single game I've ever seen a QB play.

Were the defenses bad in these games? I see it more a case of overwhelming offenses on a roll.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2009 playoff game against Arizona. You asked for non-playoff games, but I figured since this was a loss it will be excused.

They just replayed this game on NFL Network last week, what a game. The throw Rodgers missed to GJ in OT was just brutal to watch again. I'll bet if you give him that throw 1,000,000 more times he completes it 999,999 times.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you asked for Non-playoff games but I just can't help myself.....The NFC Divisional Round vs Seattle at Lambeau. January 12, 2008. I was there to witness the game in person. We fell behind early, 14-0 but then we turned things up and ruined Seattle 42-20. It was electric that day and the fact that it was snowing so hard made the Lambeau experience like no other. I have watched plenty of games but this one is without a doubt my favorite.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monday night win over SF in 96 I believe. Beebe lighting up the 9ers was sweet

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I'd say I could binge watch the last three Packers vs Bears games, and it would be tough to say what one is my favorite, the nail biter yet awesome finish of teh 13 season, the lovely no punt game, or Rodgers is on FIRE in the first half.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sheer excitement, two back-and-forth shootout games stick in my mind:

The 1983 Monday Night win against the Redskins.

I just rewatched this game on youtube a few weeks ago... great game. Still, it came down to Mosley missing a 47 yarder as time expired to win it. Highest scoring MNF game in history I believe?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one that we lost - was the MNF game @ Denver, '84 I believe - the field completely covered in snow... couldn't see any of the lines.

First play of the game, Pack fumble, Denver TD.
Second play of the game, Pack fumble, Denver TD.

12 seconds into the game, and we were down 14-0. We went on to dominate that game, ****ey went nuts with a big yardage game, and Denver did nothing the rest of the night. We still lost 17-14 :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one that stands out to me though, is the 1989 Bears @ Packers when replay overturned the call on the field, i.e. Majik Man WAS NOT over the line!!!! Packers win 14-13.

The Bears for years had an asterik in their media guide for that game - a kind of informal protest - not sure if they still have it asteriked??

Anyway, that was a huge game for us, b/c they were still the bullies on the block, and they had been dominating us through the '80's. We were trying to establish ourselves as a contender - and that game did a lot for our organization.

I remember I watched the game in a bar that was completely packed... wall-to-wall, everybody screaming - it was wild. Fun memory.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toss up
MNF vs the Skins, or v. OAK after Favre's dad died. One a great game, the other a great night.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Rodgers era....

That Flynn game was crack.

2010 week 17 against the bears. Oh was that sweet.

week 1 of the 2011 season against the Saints. What a great game.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I read the question, the 1st game that came to mind was the 83 Monday night Redskins game.
My wife and I were at that "track meet" which made the game all the more exciting.

H

HardRightEdge

The one that stands out to me though, is the 1989 Bears @ Packers when replay overturned the call on the field, i.e. Majik Man WAS NOT over the line!!!! Packers win 14-13.
That's a good one. Any game that earns a name ("Instant Replay Game") and results in a rule change should qualify as highly memorable.

At the time, the rule stipulated that a forward pass was illegal based solely on whether the ball was across the line of scrimmage when released. To my eye, the ball was in fact past the line of scrimmage. While the camera angle could be regarded as deceptive, since a flag was thrown and overturning that call required incontrovertible visual evidence as it does today, the Packers got a generous call in my opinion.

The rule was changed as follows, in effect deeming the pass legal retroactively:

"Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond
the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The
penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is
released."

The entire '89 season was high on the scale of nail biting excitement. 10 games were decided by 4 points or less, with the Packers going 7-3 in those games. 4-0 in one-point wins, which I believe was a record at the time. It might still be a record.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

The entire '89 season was high on the scale of nail biting excitement. 10 games were decided by 4 points or less, with the Packers going 7-3 in those games. 4-0 in one-point wins, which I believe was a record at the time. It might still be a record.

It´s still a record. There are only three teams in NFL history to have won three games by a single point in a season (2001 Jets, 1961 Lions, 1960 Raiders).

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at Wrigley Field in 1968 when the lowly Packers beat the Bears 28 - 27, knocking the Bears out of the playoffs. Starr was injured, Bratkowski was knocked out early, and Don Horn came off the bench to lead the Packers. Nitschke (the archetypical middle linebacker we need today) intercepted Concannon with a minute to go to preserve the victory. It was a very cold December day that couldn't be warmer in my mind.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Flynn game was crack.
2010 week 17 against the bears. Oh was that sweet.
At first I thought you were referring to the Flynn game in both lines....since that was week 17 of 2011 vs the Lions. Then I remembered that Bears game, the interception to win (was it Collins?), and realized that you were indeed talking about two separate season-ending games.

All of the responses have been great. This really is a "greatest hits" list of Packers games. What spawned this thread topic was me thinking about what it would be like to watch the very first Packers game. I'm sure that the game would have seemed and felt much different, but to see the birth of the organization and see how it all started would be pretty neat.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite games, not even a Packer game, but contained huge implications for the Packers and one of my greatest moments ever as a Packer fan:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

For a Packer game, though I'm not a Favre apologist, I certainly did enjoy the MNF Game against the Raiders after his dad died. His receivers elevated their game to an unbelievable level for him that night.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´ve only been able to watch every Packers game live since 2009 when the NFL introduced the game pass to Europe. Over that period I have to go with the Packers 28-24 win over the Favre-led Vikings in 2010 at Lambeau.

I was fortunate enough to be at that game but I don't recall anything except the final 2 minutes or so with the vikings driving to our end of the field and falling short. The roar of the crowd as the vikings broke the huddle for each play just kept getting louder and louder until the play ended and it was like everyone stopped screaming at once to catch their breath only to start all over again with the next play. It was like everyone just screaming and yelling their heads of then a huge cheer as the play ended then silence. I'm not a big fan of going to the games but I wouldn't have missed that for the world. I wouldn't mind seeing the build up to it and the rest of the game again on TV.

Still, If I had to choose 1 game I think it would have to be the Monday night Raider game after Favre's dad died.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite games, not even a Packer game, but contained huge implications for the Packers and one of my greatest moments ever as a Packer fan:

For a Packer game, though I'm not a Favre apologist, I certainly did enjoy the MNF Game against the Raiders after his dad died. His receivers elevated their game to an unbelievable level for him that night.

Packers brought that kid to the playoff game and gave him a key to the city if memory serves correct

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with others on the GB vs. OAK game after Favre's dad died, not because the game was a great game but simply because it was the "perfect storm" of life and football colliding. Favre was not even all that spectacular in the game if you really watch it, it was a prime example of Favre's gunslinger mentality.

It was however a tremendous game by the Packers team, darn near perfect. The way the team, particularly the receivers rallied around their leader and basically refused to let him fail. There were multiple completions that had no business being caught. I think he had over 300 yards and all 4 TD's at halftime if I remember correctly. It was just ridiculous that he could go out and play the day after his father died and even more ridiculous that the rest of the team put together a game of nearly perfect football that they never were able to repeat.

On top of that the media of course did a great job of pulling on everyone's emotions making it easily the most memorable Packer game I have ever watched dating back to the early 80's.

Give me goose bumps just thinking about. Regardless of one's thoughts about Favre in general, if you really do not have fond memories of that game, I question whether you have a soul because that game pretty much transcended sports and Favre that night.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was at the Packer game while this was going on by the time it got interesting, the Packers were in a blowout vs. Denver. In our section at least 4 or 5 people had this game on the radio and were essentially doing play by play. When Arizona scored Lambeau errupted. It was one of the coolest moments I've had as a Packers fan.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at Wrigley Field in 1968 when the lowly Packers beat the Bears 28 - 27, knocking the Bears out of the playoffs. Starr was injured, Bratkowski was knocked out early, and Don Horn came off the bench to lead the Packers. Nitschke (the archetypical middle linebacker we need today) intercepted Concannon with a minute to go to preserve the victory. It was a very cold December day that couldn't be warmer in my mind.

Two things about this. First, just because of time, it's amazing to remember that this was a losing season, and we're talking about the 'lowly Packers' a year after Super Bowl II and all that came before it. Second, it's an example of how I can appreciate years with a lousy regular season just as much as the last 20 with tons of wins but two trophies - it was a rough season to sit through, but going out on the note of doing that to the Bears made it all worthwhile.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For me it has to be the game many have mentioned, GB vs. OAK the day after Irvin's death. Besides everything else that was said by others here, the Raider fans were especially nice that night to Favre and it just seemed like something magical from above was happening.

Before the start of the game, many fans and media alike questioned how well Favre could play with this distraction weighing on him, I think on that night he showed his true grit and love for the game of football.

Last edited:

Staff online

Latest posts