Favorite Draft Picks

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This board is in sure need of some positivity.

I'd like to pick one player, but I can't. Have two.

Josiah Deguara - I think he has the potential to be the lynchpin for this offense. He is very similar to Juice-check (I can't spell his name). He can offer so much versatility and deception to the offense. Good blocker, good hands, pretty good route runner, decent speed. He's good. I just like him so much because of the fit in the offense.

Jon Runyan Jr - I love him. He's nasty. Good athlete. Physical. Played OT in college, but he'll play OG here. Can probably play emergency RT. I'd be shocked if he isn't starting at RG by his second year. Gonna boot Billy Turner outta here. My favorite story of his is when he was in 8th grade he tapped a DL's helmet after a play as a "nice rep" gesture, and his dad took him aside and told him to never do that again. He plays right on the edge of dirty, just like his dad, and I love that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Dillon and coincidently enough, Runyan. I hope he boots Turner out of here this year. I think he was the definite weak link on the oline last year and I'm not terribly high on him anyway. Seems decent enough, but send a blitz his way and it's like his body freezes up.

But adding nasty is exactly what I thought of when we drafted Runyan and we need some up front.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is going to be a common answer on here, but I also have to say Jon Runyan Jr.

He is the exact type of player that the Packers have specialized in getting value out of-- a college left tackle who projects inside and possesses good movement skills.

I could see him starting at RG by 2021. And if you get a good starting OL in the 6th round, that's amazing value.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of this draft as most know but I do like Kamal Martin and Johnathan Garvin.

From what I've read Martin is a good all around player the concern is injuries if he can stay healthy he could be really good pick.

And Garvin is a pretty good player for a 7th round pick and fills the #4 OLB spot.

Reaction score
While many of us wanted a WR early, I like our fallback strategy with taking a RB just before round 3 began.
What I think I like most about him is his ability to contribute in his rookie season.

-He’s the missing #2 of a 1-2 punch that we’ve been missing since the duo of Lacy/Starks. If he just plays to potential, GB will have one of the best RB duos in the league.

- Dillon is the perfect power compliment to a finesse back in A.J. He is the Ying of Jones’ Yang.

-Dillon has a low center of gravity with most of his bulk in his legs. When DB’s try to shoulder him low, he has just enough agility to stay intact. Dillon has proven to possess enough upper body strength to muscle DB’s (and lighter LBs) who make the mistake of “going high” (thereby losing proper form tackling leverage altogether).

-One of the most under appreciated aspects of Dillion’s game is his natural ability of finding a crease and winning in short yardage. He also doesn’t trip as easily and tends to catch his balance when most RB’s would fall. He adds to his arsenal a spin move that makes him slippery for a big fella. In open space, that same spin has seen him repeatedly break away for big chunks that should’ve been modest gains
-The BC Offense relied heavily on their Run game, their opponents knew this well in advance as they haven’t had a remarkable QB since Matt Ryan’s tenure nearly 15 years ago. Even knowing that strategy upfront, Dillon was a 1 man wrecking crew against relatively solid Defenses like Clemson, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Pitt, Virginia Tech, etc..
Having a legit #1 QB and #1 RB who our opposition has to focus on will take the spotlight off Dillon some. That, in turn, should conceivable rebalance some of the loss of the physical transition to bigger, faster defenders in the NFL. I can see him going in late 3rd quarter if Defenses show tired and just brutalizing them through the final whistle. It’s also the perfect recipe for cold weather games into Dec-Jan-Feb

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion Jonathan Garvin presents some good value as a pass rusher in the seventh round as well. I'm not overly impressed with any other selection.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those knocking Garvin need to watch some tape and games. He is very lean, and will need to add some to his frame - but this cat's raw ability is evident when watching him. NFL workout regiments and some learning behind some very skilled guys he has plenty of time to learn and grow.

As for my one, I broke down quite a few of these guys and even mocked a decent number of them (albeit not the round we took em) but I'll mark my one down as Jake Hanson

Jake Hanson - Center

6-4
303lbs
Hands: 9.25
Arms: 32.75

One of the stats that will jump out at anyone is that Hanson saw 2,738 snaps and allowed ZERO sacks. ZERO....as in none. He wouldn't have missed a single snap in three years at all had it not been for a targeting penalty his Junior year and then concussion protocol his senior season.

Depending who you talk to Jake's strength is an issue, out high school he was touted as a LT tackle with superior strength and his coach raving about it can still be found in articles. However, at Oregon I'm wondering if shifting to Center made him focus more on agility and movement than sheer strength to be successful as a lineman. Now, some scouts claim strength to be a weakness. When you watch the tape on Hanson it is true he isn't a pancake blocker, but an excellent deflector and engage-or (if that is a word LOL). Rarely will he whiff on an assignment unless the play becomes broken or timed blitz seek to destroy and override his assignment protocol in play. His movement, high football IQ and dependability are things I fully expect caught Green Bay's staff's eye as it did mine.

With Linsley (a 5th rounder himself) in his final year of a contract, I honestly think we could be sitting here in 2021 with the staff possibly handing over the keys to Hanson at Center (or Patrick, the #2C atm). Turnover is something which must occur along an OL...and I'm a much bigger fan of absorbing a center switch than I am a LT (Bahk also needing a contract).

Hanson illustrates amazing value vs skillset at the 6th round (very SIMILAR to Runyan as well) and is a guy that given the position and contract issue ahead of him, may have the quickest route to a starting job out of ANY draft pick besides maybe Dillon (he is in a similar boat with Jones in a final year of a contract).

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Those knocking Garvin need to watch some tape and games. He is very lean, and will need to add some to his frame - but this cat's raw ability is evident when watching him. NFL workout regiments and some learning behind some very skilled guys he has plenty of time to learn and grow.

As for my one, I broke down quite a few of these guys and even mocked a decent number of them (albeit not the round we took em) but I'll mark my one down as Jake Hanson

Jake Hanson - Center

6-4
303lbs

One of the stats that will jump out at anyone is that Hanson saw 2,738 snaps and allowed ZERO sacks. ZERO....as in none. He wouldn't have missed a single snap in three years at all had it not been for a targeting penalty his Junior year and then concussion protocol his senior season.

Depending who you talk to Jake's strength is an issue, out high school he was touted as a LT tackle with superior strength and his coach raving about it can still be found in articles. However, at Oregon I'm wondering if shifting to Center made him focus more on agility and movement than sheer strength to be successful as a lineman. Now, some scouts claim strength to be a weakness. When you watch the tape on Hanson it is true he isn't a pancake blocker, but an excellent deflector and engage-or (if that is a word LOL). Rarely will he whiff on an assignment unless the play becomes broken or timed blitz seek to destroy and override his assignment protocol in play. His movement, high football IQ and dependability are things I fully expect caught Green Bay's staff's eye as it did mine.

With Linsley (a 5th rounder himself) in his final year of a contract, I honestly think we could be sitting here in 2021 with the staff possibly handing over the keys to Hanson at Center. Turnover is something which must occur along an OL...and I'm a much bigger fan of absorbing a center switch than I am a LT (Bahk also needing a contract).

Hanson illustrates amazing value vs skillset at the 6th round (very SIMILAR to Runyan as well) and is a guy that given the position and contract issue ahead of him, may have the quickest route to a starting job out of ANY draft pick besides maybe Dillon (he is in a similar boat with Jones in a final year of a contract).

Yep-- 0% chance that Linsley comes back after this year.

I actually think there's a sneaky chance that he gets cut this off-season if the Packers need to create space for an addition. Lane Taylor is obviously more likely in that category, but with Patrick and Hanson in-house, it's possible.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I actually think there's a sneaky chance that he gets cut this off-season if the Packers need to create space for an addition. Lane Taylor is obviously more likely in that category, but with Patrick and Hanson in-house, it's possible.

The moment I saw the Hanson pick I texted a buddy of mine and said Gute just made it a serious possibility we have $8M plus to spend now cutting Linsley....whether that is used to retain Bahk, Clark or Jones even or go grab a FA move yet...who knows, but yup I'm fully in support of this.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The moment I saw the Hanson pick I texted a buddy of mine and said Gute just made it a serious possibility we have $8M plus to spend now cutting Linsley....whether that is used to retain Bahk, Clark or Jones even or go grab a FA move yet...who knows, but yup I'm fully in support of this.

And to be clear, I would still expect Hanson to be the back up if that occurs, but the extension they gave to Lucas Patrick makes me this he could end up being the starter in that scenario.

I'm not closely studying Linsley Vs. Patrick, but my sense is that the latter is a better run blocker.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a very real chance two of the 3 6th round picks are starters in 2021. That's pretty decent.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This board is in sure need of some positivity.

I'd like to pick one player, but I can't. Have two.

Josiah Deguara - I think he has the potential to be the lynchpin for this offense. He is very similar to Juice-check (I can't spell his name). He can offer so much versatility and deception to the offense. Good blocker, good hands, pretty good route runner, decent speed. He's good. I just like him so much because of the fit in the offense.

Jon Runyan Jr - I love him. He's nasty. Good athlete. Physical. Played OT in college, but he'll play OG here. Can probably play emergency RT. I'd be shocked if he isn't starting at RG by his second year. Gonna boot Billy Turner outta here. My favorite story of his is when he was in 8th grade he tapped a DL's helmet after a play as a "nice rep" gesture, and his dad took him aside and told him to never do that again. He plays right on the edge of dirty, just like his dad, and I love that.

Good choices, I like them too. AJ Dillon is intriguing, I can't wait to see how LeFleur will use him.

7th-rounders re usually longshots, but I'm keeping my eye on Jonathan Garvin out of Miami. Kyler Fackrell's departure opens up a possible roster spot for Garvin. I read this analysis on him prior to the draft:

Overview
Traits-based edge defender capable of playing 4-3 end or 3-4 rush linebacker. Garvin's strong 2018 was followed up with inconsistent effort and an inability to stamp his presence on games with much consistency. He gains depth upfield quickly and is fairly natural at defeating the punch and flipping the corner. Pressures are nice, but sack-makers get paid and that won't happen unless he cranks up the effort and plays to his traits and potential. Garvin has Day 2 talent, but may not go until Day 3. However, there might be gold to mine if a coach can get it out of him.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonathan-garvin?id=32194741-5273-1639-14f1-ac687272b120

I'm rooting for him, we'll see how it all works out.

Great thread topic, by the way.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jake Hanson - Center

6-4
303lbs

With Linsley (a 5th rounder himself) in his final year of a contract, I honestly think we could be sitting here in 2021 with the staff possibly handing over the keys to Hanson at Center (or Patrick, the #2C atm). Turnover is something which must occur along an OL...and I'm a much bigger fan of absorbing a center switch than I am a LT (Bahk also needing a contract).

Garvin's issue isn't talent by any means.

He needs a bit of an attitude adjustment, and needs a work ethic adjustment.

He literally couldn't be in a better locker room for that. Great teammates, great position coach. I've been on Garvin since he was a freshman. He's got all the talent.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
AJ Dillion. How could you NOT like a 250lb RB that runs a 4.53!? His numbers do not lie, if anything they do not paint the entire picture. Remember BC's entire offense was structured around AJ Dillion. That means whenever he was lined up in the backfield, the opposing defense stacked the box. I am not exaggerating when I say ~95% of snaps were against a stacked box. He is an absolute monster and will be another layer and way the packers can establish a run game and opening up the pass game while keeping defenses honest. I truly believe this guy can be a superstar.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Dillion. How could you NOT like a 250lb RB that runs a 4.53!? His numbers do not lie, if anything they do not paint the entire picture. Remember BC's entire offense was structured around AJ Dillion. That means whenever he was lined up in the backfield, the opposing defense stacked the box. I am not exaggerating when I say ~95% of snaps were against a stacked box. He is an absolute monster and will be another layer and way the packers can establish a run game and opening up the pass game while keeping defenses honest. I truly believe this guy can be a superstar.

44% of his carries were against a stacked box.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garvin's issue isn't talent by any means.

He needs a bit of an attitude adjustment, and needs a work ethic adjustment.

He literally couldn't be in a better locker room for that. Great teammates, great position coach. I've been on Garvin since he was a freshman. He's got all the talent.

1,000% correct!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
44% of his carries were against a stacked box.

I looked into this as well and reports seem to differ greatly I've seen as low as low 40's to upper 60's. Either way defenses whether stacked or not expected Dillon to get the ball vastly more than not, BC just didn't really have any valid weapons outside of him.

Reaction score

Certainly a possibility. Linsley graded exceptionally well at Center last season and GB could be in consideration for us trading an experienced, productive veteran for similar at another needed position.

The other side of the coin is they may not want to keep rubbing Rodgers this season. Keeping Linsley gives us 3 solid at OL (LT, LG, C) with some decent options at RG and RT. Also, with Corey’s solid production and usage, he’s good for another nice Comp pick to add to all those already coming our way. GB could be back in the 9-10 draft selections with several comp picks in the middle rounds.
Wouldn’t it be nice to get 4 years of use out of a 5th rounder and get credit for another 4th round comp deposit on his way out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bumping this to the top. A positive spun thread and discussion is something be nice if more partook. Love reading folks positive thoughts.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Runyan and Martin. Runyan if he turns out like his Dad will be a HOFer and to get a guy who can play opposite Bakhtiari in the 4th round or later?

Martin I like because of where we got him. He's a good solid linebacker who has played inside and outside can add depth at both positions (OLB more so in the running game)

D

Deleted member 6794

Jake Hanson - Center

6-4
303lbs

One of the stats that will jump out at anyone is that Hanson saw 2,738 snaps and allowed ZERO sacks. ZERO....as in none.

According to PFF Hanson allowed two sacks last season on 388 pass block snaps. It should be noted that he was in pass protection on only 1,233 snaps of his college career.

There's a very real chance two of the 3 6th round picks are starters in 2021. That's pretty decent.

There's a decent chance none of them will be on the roster in 2021 as well.

Linsley graded exceptionally well at Center last season and GB could be in consideration for us trading an experienced, productive veteran for similar at another needed position.

Linsley graded out above average last season but not exceptionally well. There were way too many shotgun snaps off target.

Runyan if he turns out like his Dad will be a HOFer and to get a guy who can play opposite Bakhtiari in the 4th round or later?

It's pretty unrealistic to expect Runyan to turn out like his father though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFF Hanson allowed two sacks last season on 388 pass block snaps. It should be noted that he was in pass protection on only 1,233 snaps of his college career.

There's a decent chance none of them will be on the roster in 2021 as well.

Linsley graded out above average last season but not exceptionally well. There were way too many shotgun snaps off target.

It's pretty unrealistic to expect Runyan to turn out like his father though.

Multiple sources tout the no sacks stat for Hanson. PFF says otherwise I'd love to know why.

Members online

Latest posts