1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Favorite ABBA song?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by GreenBlood, Jul 7, 2012.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Okay guys... 'fess up! We all have a favorite ABBA song whether we'll admit it or not. Heard mine on the radio a couple hours ago. Mine has to be "Dancing Queen." What's yours? And don't tell me you don't have one!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Waterloo and Fernando are quite nice. They could SING. Great harmonies, well produced, and the music was solid.
    Go back and listen to Blood,Sweat,and Tears, David Clayton Thomas could realy wail !

3. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    ''S.O.S'' - The Sex Pistols ripped it off, and used the main riff on Pretty Vacant. ABBA inspiring Punks since 1975.

4. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    WOW!!! I'm shocked.....and will continue to be shocked ALL DAY...with the fact that Greenblood is a fan of Abba!!!

I guess its your avatar that throws me off!!! lol...

My favorite Abba song is..."Knowing me , knowing you!"

5. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    I like Take a chance on me. I would sing it but u don't wanna hear me sing

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Why so shocked? I remember as a kid in the 70's seeing my mom's ABBA 8-tracks and having no interest in listen to them. After all, they were my mom's music, right? Well, about 1992, I had to driver her somewhere a couple hours away. She put her ABBA Gold CD in and I was just blown away and had no idea why! Looking back, as a musician myself, I find much of their work to be musically fascinating. Take PackerFan71's favorite "S.O.S." for example. It constantly moves back and forth between a minor key and major key. "Lay All Your Love on Me" has a very Russian-sounding hook in the chorus that sounds like it could have been written by Tanayev or Tchaikovsky himself. Bjorn Ulvaeus wrote most of their music and he had an uncanny ability to transition from one mode to the next and write complex harmonies that make almost every song worth hearing at least once. Even some of their songs I don't care for, like "Chiquitita" (which always makes me think "bananas") has musical integrity. Now, I don't care for their more "disco-y" stuff that they experimented with ("Voulez-Vous", "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme"). It didn't really seem like them, but they weren't afraid to try whatever might make them money. If you look at footage of them doing "Voulez-Vous" live, you can see that they just look a little out of their element. But hell, even Kiss and Judas Priest got sucked into trying their version of disco. So YES. I like ABBA! I also like:

Yngwie Malmsteen (another Swede, lol)
    Judas Priest
    Opeth (more Swedes)
    Pink Floyd
    Killswitch Engage
    Dimmu Borgir
    Crosby, Stills and Nash
    AC/DC
    Meshuggah
    Rush
    Joe Satriani
    The Beatles
    Depeche Mode

Are those a little more in line with what you had in mind regarding my avatar? ;) I know several guys who are mainly into hard rock and metal who say they like ABBA for whatever reason. It's kind of a strange phenomena. Yeah, they were definitely a Pop band, but they weren't cookie-cutter Pop. There had never been a band that sounded anything like them before and there hasn't been one since. They were totally unique. Agnetha wasn't just gorgeous to look at (still a beautiful woman today, BTW) but she has some serious pipes! Whenever they get together and decide to go on tour one last time, that tour is going to sell out FAST.

So now come on, chime in here. Everyone has a favorite ABBA song. Don't be shy!

7. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    that was why...... and I stick by my guns....."knowing me knowing you..."

8. Shopgirl

Shopgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I guess Dancing Queen. But I like most of their songs.
    Yah I would be buying one of those tickets.

9. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    Just one? I'll admit I owned ABBA Gold and the Best of ABBA cassettes and several others before I was married. I now also have Mamma Mia DVD though technically it is my daughter's. Since it is fessing up time, I also had a black 3piece suit in the 80's and also at one time wore a pink dress shirt in public.

A close winner over "the Winner takes it All" is

10. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    Back in the day to openly admit that you had any kind of liking for an ABBA song would have totally ruined your cred amongst your peers. Thats all irrelevant now, of course the fashions and some of the lyrics were a bit silly. However what is not is the song writing and musical talents of Andersson and Ulvaeus. Im into everything from a well written Pop song to Hardcore Punk and Metal, Reggae, Bluegrass, Classical and everything else in between, as long as it good music thats all that matters whatever the genre.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Hey, I had the whole Miami Vice thing going on for about a year. Then again, if you were in Jr. High at the time, who didn't? I also remember scrub shirts being popular.

12. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I suggest you give Opeth a good listen. Particularly, their "Ghost Reveries" and "Deliverance" albums. Amazing stuff.

13. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    Didnt know of them, had a listen to the Heritage album obviously a bit different. Very much a musicians band very clever and complex material.

14. I_am_smoked_cheddar

Ratings:
    +0
    ABBA, remember ABBA !!! :alien:

15. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +988
    Who? ohh yeah them......your only allowed one song remember................:giggle:

16. I_am_smoked_cheddar

Ratings:
    +0
    ...... skip to my lu my darling. :roflmao:

17. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Heritage is good but I don't think it compares to the others. If I chose two songs to represent what Opeth is, they would have to be "Harlequin Forest" and "Isolation Years":

18. I_am_smoked_cheddar

Ratings:
    +0
    ABBA ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    Looks like the OP hijacked his own thread.

20. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Nah. That would be like hijacking your own car. It can't be done. I merely took it on a momentary detour ;)

21. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +800
    O.K., back to ABBA - The Winner Takes It All....there is no better ABBA song I think ;)
    When I was a kid, in the 70's, we used to drive to Spain for vacation and I remember an ABBA tape that was played again and again on this 20 hours road trip to Spain :confused::D

22. I_am_smoked_cheddar

Ratings:
    +0
    Good threads deserve to live on.
    I always liked the singing, world class.
    ABBA , admit you liked them, The Carpenters too.
    :cool:

23. Terre Haute Cheesehead

Terre Haute Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +191
    What I wanna know is.....what could a guy who likes "ABBA" possibly do to get himself BANNED ? :confused:

I'm weak :cry:......my favorite "ABBA" song is "Dancing Queen."
    And "Karen Carpenter," Smokeychedder.....Wow, what an incredible talented singer she was. Gave us some great songs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,087
    a ha !!

25. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +292
    Annafried > Agnetha

• Winner Winner x 1