Fate

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I've read a 49ers forum where it seems that they lock all topics about the Smith/Rodgers discussion. It's a pretty sore topic for 49ers fans.

Yeah... football fans can fall prey to the "post hoc ergo propter hoc" syndrome very easily.

There will always be some who believe that putting new batteries in a crystal ball will help them re-evaluate the infamous road not taken. It's commonly referred to as "revisionist history" -- and in this political climate, I think we all know what I'm talking about.

I toss that in for one reason and one reason only - it is a metaphysical impossibility to change the way the cards fell - but half the fun of these places is playing it out in your mind anyway. Sort of like the football player who plays out the game in his mind...the night before the game.

Anyway, I tend to think that if the Smith/Rodgers roles were reversed .... that Aaron might just be where Smith is now. You can't get the livin' bejeezuz kicked out of you on a weekly basis as a rookie and NOT become gun-shy and hear footsteps. I really believe that...and, once a purebred has had his confidence snuffed out by repeated beatings ... it's darned hard to 're-boot' it. SanFran's BIGGEST mistake was in not surrounding Smith with an O-line that could protect his inexperienced behind if they were hell-bent for glory in starting a rookie QB.

Just my opinion....I've been happy that things worked out the way that they did from day #1. Even IF Rodgers was a Tedford QB. Take a look at his rookie card ... man, he's dropping back with the ball up by his ear-hole. (cue the Babs Streisand music: "Memmmmmm...ries...... like the corner of my mind..................."

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
That's true, and remember it took Reggie White to get this team a ring.
But in Benedict's defense, Reggie would not have gone to Green Bay if not for Favre.

Majkowski wouldn't have gotten Reggie to sign there.

You sure about that? The Packers were only like 9-7 in the year before and missed the playoffs by one game. Why would Reggie come here for Farve?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post, I love these. So if Smith had dropped instead of Rodgers would the Packers have nabbed Smith? How might he have worked out if he were to sit behind Brett for three years.
I recently read where the Packers were interested in Larry English in 2009, BJ Raji somehow fell to them and they grabbed him. Later, San Diego took English and the Packers moved up to get Matthews. I remember thinking how I'd love to see the Packers draft Tyson Jackson and he went early to KC which was deemed a reach and allowed BJ to fall.
Great stuff.
THAT was a HUGE draft for the Packers, getting Raji to slide down, and of course the greatest move ever by TT, trading up and taking the Bloodline.

Tyson Jackson was always overrated, and that position in a 3-4 defense is overrated. Yes it's important, but not to make plays. Jenkins is the best 3-4 DE I have ever seen as a playmaker, and they aren't even considering paying him is worth.

When the Chiefs reached at #3 to take Jackson, that opened up destiny for us!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sure about that? The Packers were only like 9-7 in the year before and missed the playoffs by one game. Why would Reggie come here for Farve?
Yeah, I remember hearing and reading about it.
The year before, when we played Philly, Reggie was very impressed with Favre and thought he had a big future.
I remember the national and Philly media made a big deal about it because in essence, he was saying Favre was better than Cunningham going forward. And he was.

But then in 1998 when Wolf chickend out to draft Randy Moss, then the Vikings with the older Cunningham, went into Green Bay and kicked the heII out of us in front of MYSELF there on Monday Night football, and they went 15-1 and we were over and done.

Somehow, almost 10 years later, Favre had another MVP quality season, for the enemy purple!
Pretty amazing really considering that Reggie died many years ago now, and Cunningham has been retired for a long time.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
And here I thought it was God that told Reggie to come to GB.

Of course, that was Holmgren impersonating God on the telephone.

Members online

Latest posts