Farve "I want to be in GB" by P-G's Pete Doughterty

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'I want to be in Green Bay,' Favre says . The following artticle appeared in Tuesday, May 15, 2007 issue Of the Green Bay Press-Gazette and packersnews.com

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Brett Favre released a conciliatory statement Monday about his desire to play for the Green Bay Packers after a long conversation with General Manager Ted Thompson on Sunday night.

Favre's statement, released through the team, appears to be a step toward reconciliation with Thompson and the organization. It came after a tumultuous weekend in which Favre criticized the Packers for not acquiring receiver Randy Moss in a trade, followed by a national report that said he'd asked the team to trade him immediately after the draft late last month.

"I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England," Favre's statement said in part. "I never wanted to be traded and don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me."

Favre and the Packers hadn't determined as of Monday evening whether he will attend the team's three-day mandatory minicamp this weekend. Favre won't participate in the camp because he's in the late stages of recovering from ankle surgery, and he would prefer to remain in Mississippi to work out and rehabilitate the injury. But a source close to Favre said the quarterback and team would decide probably by today whether he will attend.

In the meantime, an NFL source said Thompson and Favre had a long conversation on Sunday night in a first step toward ironing out any problems between them and bridging the large communication gap that has developed between the two this offseason. Favre and Thompson hadn't talked since the Moss trade fell through.

Favre then released the written statement through the team on Monday regarding his comments over the weekend and his desire to play for the Packers.

"I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next," Favre also said in his short written statement. "I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life.

"I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."

This past Saturday at his annual charity golf tournament, Favre criticized Thompson's failure to acquire Moss and questioned whether the Packers really want him to return for his 16th season as their quarterback. Favre had lobbied hard for the Moss deal, and through his regular contact with Moss thought the trade would be completed by the weekend of the NFL draft.

However, the trade fell through, in part because the Packers insisted upon a significant part of Moss' $3 million to $3.5 million salary be paid in weekly roster bonuses contingent upon him playing that week. Moss rejected that roster-bonus structure and wanted the full salary regardless of whether he were injured. Also, it appears the Raiders and Moss didn't go back to the Packers for a counteroffer after receiving a bid from New England after the draft's first day.

After Favre's public statements Saturday, the Fox Sports Web site reported on Sunday that shortly after the draft. Favre's agent asked the Packers to trade his client. It said Favre thought he'd been misled about the team's commitment to adding immediate help on the offensive side of the ball.

Besides releasing the written statement Monday, Favre also called a reporter at his local newspaper in Mississippi, the Biloxi Sun Herald, and said he never wanted a trade.

"If I wanted a trade, I would have forced the issue and got out," Favre told the newspaper. "But it was never an issue. I am not going anywhere or play for any other team. I am a Packer and want to retire as a Packer. … The organization is first class and has been great to me and my family."

Neither Thompson nor coach Mike McCarthy was available for comment Monday.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, how when the whole story comes out that all the Favre haters crawl back into their holes.

This whole story was blown out of proportion by the national sports shows, because they know if they can mention Brett Favre that there ratings will soar. That is the problem with todays media, instead of reporting the news they have to try and reate a story that's not really there.

I suggest to some of you to wait 48 hours after a story hs broken before doing a knee jerk re-action that makes you look pretty silly.

Brett isn't going anywhere and he is till the best option the Packers have to lead them to a winning season in 2007.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, how when the whole story comes out that all the Favre haters crawl back into their holes.

This whole story was blown out of proportion by the national sports shows, because they know if they can mention Brett Favre that there ratings will soar. That is the problem with todays media, instead of reporting the news they have to try and reate a story that's not really there.

I suggest to some of you to wait 48 hours after a story hs broken before doing a knee jerk re-action that makes you look pretty silly.

Come on now, just because you love Favre doesn't make people who believe he should have kept his mouth shut "haters".

I don't think that it was blown out of proportion. Favre spoke about his teammates in a way that made it seem that he believed them to be incapable of winning now. Not exactly veteran leadership there.

Maybe you could give the whole 48 hour tip to the people who screamed after the first tound of the draft "No receiver!!!! No Running back!!!! No Safety!!!! GAAAA!!!!! ALARM!!! ALARM!!!!!

Favre talked to much, and people need to realize that he was in the wrong. If this was a TT acquisition, people would be demanding him cut, and labaling him a 'cancer'.

You know its true.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Come on now, just because you love Favre doesn't make people who believe he should have kept his mouth shut "haters".

Sure it does.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre has been nothing but unselfish to the Packers since he came to Green Bay, always putting the team first, in some cases when he didn't have to.
Brett is all about winning, I don't blame him for finally expressing himself, maybe just maybe it will open up the eyes of the upper management.
The first time he shows a little frustration, be becomes, in the eyes of some, a detriment to the team.
Maybe the word "haters" was a little harsh, but it really burns me to read some of the things people are saying about Brett just because he got a little frustrated and vented.
Again, the whole thing was blown out of proportion by the Main stream media, who is always looking to create news instead of just reporting it.

The off season is the time for posters on this forum to express their views, I really hope when it comes to opening day 2007 that people realize that the guys who suit up that day are The Green Bay Packers and support them whether they win or lose, and put all this petty arguing away until after the season.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has never had a reason to put himself over the team. It's never come down to an "either or" situation. He's been the leader of the team and has enjoyed idol-like success from near the beginning. Only in the past few years has he been with a team that has struggled, while he struggled.

I'm a HUGE Favre fan, but throwing the team under the bus like that disappointed me. I gotta be honest.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who hasn't said things in anger when you are ticked off, and then after letting your brain catch up with your mouth you retract what you said.
I know I have. And of course when Favre says something, there's always someone there to take and run with it.

Members online