Farewell to a "special" Packers' fan.......

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the Packers embarked on their 1996 season, and it was a good one, I began the practice of rubbing the belly of my dog as the kickoff left the kickers foot....kinda like rubbing the belly of Buddha for good luck. Well, needless to say, we went to and won the SB that year...in no small part from the "luck" that Madison provided. LOL Short of the games that I have to watch at Gabe's in St. Paul, MN, she has been part of every game. In fact, my friend Nora took Maddie's dog tag to the 1997 Tampa game in Tampa (she went to every year) and had it signed, to Madison, by Eugene Robinson.

Well, Boxers and bumps do not go together due to their propensity for cancer. So, when one shows, you have it removed immediately. 2 weeks ago, Maddie had several lumps removed and, thankfully, they were benign. After a slow recovery I developed a concern for her shallowness of breath and took her back to the vet yesterday. Upon taking x-rays, I was informed that her lungs are full of cancer (which caused the benign bumps to grow) and that Maddie will give me several more days/weeks of all her goodness.

She loved the following things: Me, my friends and family, her brother "Willie", bratwurst and kraut (oh the farts), Old Style beer and sitting with me matching my excitement during our Packers' Sunday.

As much as a dog can, she was all Packers...decked out in her green collar and goldish tags. For those of you who have and love dogs...go home tonight and give them a big hug and a kiss for they will be gone soon enough and you will wish you had. As you sit and ponder all things Packers this weekend, hoist a toast to Madison, the good luck dog of the 1996 season, recipient of a personalized autograph from Eugene Robinson, and send her off in true Packers style.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will Digs, I love dogs, I have 2 labs and one grey wolf, everytime one of my dogs die we get real sad and I think I wont get another one, but I keep gettintg them..

We specially got sad after one black lab died 3 years ago, he algo got a lot of packer stuff, couple of sunglases, a packer dog jersey, etc. he was the smartest dog you have seen, he liked to drink beer and eat chips !!!!!

Sorry about Madison get a new one and fell better !!!

ohh by the way get a couple of tequilas that will help !!!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
awww digs - i'm so sorry to hear about madison. :cry: tough deal, buddy. i will certainly raise my glass to her this weekend & hug my dog, rudy more often. he's a pure bred golden retriever, over 100 lbs, & thinks he's a lap dog!!

sending a cyberhug out to ya, digs. :pals:

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Digs, I lost my best friend, and Packer fan, Thor,a couple of years ago, after 13 fun-filled years, it is tough, but the memories will never fade.
I have been going to the same place for over 15 years to watch The Packers play, a good friend who had a sattelite set-up long before Direct tv, when I first started going,there was Nitshke and Fuzzy there with us rooting on The Pack, about four years ago, they both went away during the same summer, that followisng year it wasn't quite the same until about half way through the season, Reggie and Ray showed up, two small mixed dogs who will not back down from anyone, it is once again fun to watch the Packers and get Ray and Reggie fired up when The Pack go on defense.
I will definately raise up a Bud tonight at bowling for Madison, although she can never be replaced, bring in a new Packer Fan, as one on this forum tells us everytime he posts"there is always room for one more Packer fan"

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Digs. I'm not looking forward to the day our beloved "Shredder", a Siberian is gone. Unconditional love is all they give you just for a scratch behind the ears and a milk bone. I will certainly toast Madison tonight and so will Shredder....he loves Moose Drool beer. Sometimes we forget just what joy and fulfilment they bring to us.

In fact, we might have two Moose Drools as a toast.

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be a toast tonight in memory

Our thoughts are with you

Daz & Franco (7 month old black Lab)

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Digs. I have a purebred golden retriever myself and hope I have many more years ahead with her.

Lets meet sometime at the Sunshine Factory and hoist a few to our dogs. :D

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's bad news to hear but hopefully with her being in doggie heaven she can help us win another Superbowl. Even though she died don't let it stop you from picking up another dog. You love dogs and you can save a dog from being put to sleep or from going to a bad home with no love. When you buy a dog again that dog will know it is in a loving home. I will drink a few in loving memory of Maddie.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feel for you Big Time digs. I will be going through this again soon too with a pooch and a cat that have both been part of the family for around 15 years. My heart goes out to you !!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digs..........i'm sitting here crying (yeah, i know......tough man, hey?) I have had 3 "pups" since i got married. My first one, "Norman" also got cancer. He was 12, and we had him put to sleep because it got so bad real quick. We had sworn to never let our "babies" suffer. My second one, "Vincent" (Lombardi) had a aynurism (sp) and died at age 5 while i was away for the weekend on a fishing trip. I was SUPPOSED to go for a week, but i had a feeling something was wrong, and drove home. He was gone before i got home. I got a tattoo to remember him by. Now, the third one is "Seth" and he's my wife's "baby"..........he is HER pup tottally. It's something how they "pick" who they like more. He's going to be 6, and has the same birthday as me (July 9th).
I will lift a glass to your "pup"........and i will tell my wife. She LOVES dogs too, and feels the pain when others have to go through something painful like this.
Again, you have my sympathy! They give us so much unconditional love and companionship..........alot of people could LEARN from them!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Again, you have my sympathy! They give us so much unconditional love and companionship..........alot of people could LEARN from them"!

So true Cheesey, So true !!!

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
As the Packers embarked on their 1996 season, and it was a good one, I began the practice of rubbing the belly of my dog as the kickoff left the kickers foot....kinda like rubbing the belly of Buddha for good luck. Well, needless to say, we went to and won the SB that year...in no small part from the "luck" that Madison provided. LOL Short of the games that I have to watch at Gabe's in St. Paul, MN, she has been part of every game. In fact, my friend Nora took Maddie's dog tag to the 1997 Tampa game in Tampa (she went to every year) and had it signed, to Madison, by Eugene Robinson.

Well, Boxers and bumps do not go together due to their propensity for cancer. So, when one shows, you have it removed immediately. 2 weeks ago, Maddie had several lumps removed and, thankfully, they were benign. After a slow recovery I developed a concern for her shallowness of breath and took her back to the vet yesterday. Upon taking x-rays, I was informed that her lungs are full of cancer (which caused the benign bumps to grow) and that Maddie will give me several more days/weeks of all her goodness.

She loved the following things: Me, my friends and family, her brother "Willie", bratwurst and kraut (oh the farts), Old Style beer and sitting with me matching my excitement during our Packers' Sunday.

As much as a dog can, she was all Packers...decked out in her green collar and goldish tags. For those of you who have and love dogs...go home tonight and give them a big hug and a kiss for they will be gone soon enough and you will wish you had. As you sit and ponder all things Packers this weekend, hoist a toast to Madison, the good luck dog of the 1996 season, recipient of a personalized autograph from Eugene Robinson, and send her off in true Packers style.

Truly a good friend. I had a little dog with lung cancer too. Put her down two years ago.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wife, kids and I are all dog lovers and we feel your pain.
Our Ruby is 10 in July and I know we only have a few years left with her.
She is also a Packer fan, sporting a Packer collar and leash.

Condolances from me and my family.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so sorry Digs about your precious doggie, they give us so much love and companionship. I have a little sheltie who is my baby/kid, I would do anything for her. I to rub my doggie for luck when the packers play sometimes it works and sometimes not..

I will be thinking about you and your family through this difficult time, I cannot imagine my life without my precious Pooter dog. I feel your pain.

My prayers go out to you and Madison.

ILOVETHEPACK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DIGS: sorry to hear of your bad news. I hope that you can find a way to find some joy after the passing of your dog. I have two labs and they are by far my best friends. We had a English setter pass a year ago The 24th and it was tough. From my family to yours our greatest sympathy.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your dogs. We have had two border collies, the first was about 11 when she died, and the second one was about 10. It is so hard to lose a dog. They certainly become part of the family. As much as I love dogs, I told my husband that we can't have another one because I don't want to go through the loss again. So, I can really feel for you.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digs, Sorry to hear of the loss of a family member: 'cause they feel that they are part of the family. We too Carol, had a border collie for 13 years. Spike, the poor fellow, was active to the day before he died. One day in the living room, he just lied down and stared at us for a few hours. After I noticed he wasn't breathing anymore, I knelt down and closed his eyes. They were still "fixed" upon towards us.

Then came Starr! A pure white english setter. At the the vet they still call him "her". I have had to explain the spelling of HIS name had 2 "R's" at the end of his name on the records.( They just give me a puzzling look). He has never missed watching a game with me, and stays in the 'Packer Room' until the game is over! Loyal to me and the Packers!

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers' fans are the best...thanks all.

Maddie went for her last visit Saturday morning....I hate that drive.

Willie is a little confused, keeps looking for her...house is suddenly very quiet.

Time heals all wounds, and memories are forever.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digs, really sorry to hear about Maddie (love that name)

My schnauzer is also a beer drinking brat eating Packer lover. He is german after all. And its good to know im not the only superstitious one her. As embarrassing as it is, i hold my dogs ears up (they arent cropped) whenever we kick a feild goal or extra point. Weird but hey Ryan longwell does hold the packers scoring record. Dogs are the best man, and losing one is the worst. Sure its only 11 oclock but after lunch im going straight to the fridge in my office, grabbing an ice cold miller lite and toasting Maddie.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs, that is awful news and I just wanted to tell you that both mine and Lauren's hearts go out to you and you and Maddie have been in our prayers since we read the news. Maddie was a beautiful and warm friend. She'll be missed.

Members online

Latest posts