2023 53 Man Roster Speculation...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still early, but outside of maybe one late signing or moving the brunt of the 2023 roster is somewhere within those here presently...I'll take a stab at what I envision it looks like:

Offense - 24
QB (2) - Love / Clifford
RB (2) - Jones / Dillon
TE (4) - Deguara / Davis / Musgrave / Kraft
WR (7) - Watson / Doubs / Toure / Reed / Wicks / Watts / WR not on our roster presently
OL (9) - Bakh / Jenkins / Myers / Tom / Yosh / Runyan / Tenuta/ Walker & one of Rhyan or Newman

Defense - 26
DL (6) - Clark / Wyatt / Slaton / Ford / Wooden / Brooks
LBs (9) - Walker / Campbell / McDuffie / Preston / Gary / Enagbare / Cox / Van Ness / Carpenter
CB (5) - Jaire / Rasul / Stokes / Nixon / Valentine
S (6) - Savage / Ford / Leavitt / Johnson Jr / Moore / Owens

ST - 3
K - Anders
P - O'Donnell
LS - Orzech

We bank on Jones and Dillon being our bell cows with a bet that one of Taylor / Goodson and Nichols at least worst case don't get picked up and we can stash one or two on PS
Etling is likely safe on our PS...if not nab a project elsewhere and add a PS QB
WR...we likely retain two at least of Cotton / Dubose / Melton / Heath...I think Duece is the surprise make it.
Personally I think we trade Newman for some 6th or 7th type pick like we've done in the past rather than cold cut him...perhaps Rhyan is that but as much as I liked Newman, I don't see the progression possible like I used to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still early, but outside of maybe one late signing or moving the brunt of the 2023 roster is somewhere within those here presently...I'll take a stab at what I envision it looks like:

Offense - 24
QB (2) - Love / Clifford
RB (2) - Jones / Dillon
TE (4) - Deguara / Davis / Musgrave / Kraft
WR (7) - Watson / Doubs / Toure / Reed / Wicks / Watts / WR not on our roster presently
OL (9) - Bakh / Jenkins / Myers / Tom / Yosh / Runyan / Tenuta/ Walker & one of Rhyan or Newman

Defense - 26
DL (6) - Clark / Wyatt / Slaton / Ford / Wooden / Brooks
LBs (9) - Walker / Campbell / McDuffie / Preston / Gary / Enagbare / Cox / Van Ness / Carpenter
CB (5) - Jaire / Rasul / Stokes / Nixon / Valentine
S (6) - Savage / Ford / Leavitt / Johnson Jr / Moore / Owens

ST - 3
K - Anders
P - O'Donnell
LS - Orzech

We bank on Jones and Dillon being our bell cows with a bet that one of Taylor / Goodson and Nichols at least worst case don't get picked up and we can stash one or two on PS
Etling is likely safe on our PS...if not nab a project elsewhere and add a PS QB
WR...we likely retain two at least of Cotton / Dubose / Melton / Heath...I think Duece is the surprise make it.
Personally I think we trade Newman for some 6th or 7th type pick like we've done in the past rather than cold cut him...perhaps Rhyan is that but as much as I liked Newman, I don't see the progression possible like I used to.

I'm beginning to strongly believe Goodson makes us keep 3 RBs and that quickly swipes us to 6 WRs with my recent likely prediction being Watson/Doubs/Toure/Reed/Wicks/Heath with Melton and hopefully Dubose staying on PS

Reaction score
I’m beginning to warm to the idea that if Malik Heath shows up in Preseason anything like he did in Practices? He’ll be hard not to 53
He’s my WR7+ leaning WR6
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I’m beginning to warm to the idea that if Malik Heath shows up in Preseason anything like he did in Practices? He’ll be hard not to 53
He’s my WR7+ leaning WR6

Finally took some time to look at Heath. Definitely a guy that has a nice upside. Love his size and athleticism. This was a pretty good run down on him. Sounds like he has some nice moves and abilities but needs to learn how to make contested catches, as well as improve his blocking.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally took some time to look at Heath. Definitely a guy that has a nice upside. Love his size and athleticism. This was a pretty good run down on him. Sounds like he has some nice moves and abilities but needs to learn how to make contested catches, as well as improve his blocking.

To be fair and you know how big of a Mingo fan I am, it could be argued their ceilings were VERY similar and it was purely the fact Mingo crossed EVERY facet of measurables you look for as indicators that made him just explode up the prospect chart while Heath (his teammate) just didn't quite keep up in that aspect but production he has produced well and continually progressed from his time at Mississippi St and then at Ole Miss where he actually outproduced Mingo in receptions, yards, average and tied him in TDs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be fair and you know how big of a Mingo fan I am, it could be argued their ceilings were VERY similar and it was purely the fact Mingo crossed EVERY facet of measurables you look for as indicators that made him just explode up the prospect chart while Heath (his teammate) just didn't quite keep up in that aspect but production he has produced well and continually progressed from his time at Mississippi St and then at Ole Miss where he actually outproduced Mingo in receptions, yards, average and tied him in TDs.

For the draft investment that the Packers made, Mingo (Rd 2, Pk 39), I will take UDFA Heath any day. That said, if Mingo has the ceiling that some project, with his size and athleticism, he could have a nice career in the NFL. I doubt Heath ever ends up being a #1 WR, but if he progresses, he could be an Allen Lazard type #2 or #3.

I merely say this for the Packers and how the draft turned out. Since obtaining Mingo would have meant they they probably don't get Musgrave (Pk 42) and also having to trade up to select Mingo.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the draft investment that the Packers made, Mingo (Rd 2, Pk 39), I will take UDFA Heath any day. That said, if Mingo has the ceiling that some project, with his size and athleticism, he could have a nice career in the NFL. I doubt Heath ever ends up being a #1 WR, but if he progresses, he could be an Allen Lazard type #2 or #3.

I merely say this for the Packers and how the draft turned out. Since obtaining Mingo would have meant they they probably don't get Musgrave (Pk 42) and also having to trade up to select Mingo.

Oh for sure the difference is where indicators have each, Mingo to me has every bit of make up to be a #1...Heath is that #4 maybe #3 type guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh for sure the difference is where indicators have each, Mingo to me has every bit of make up to be a #1...Heath is that #4 maybe #3 type guy.
For the first time in quite a long time, I can honestly say that I really like the potential of the Packer receiving room (WR's and TE's). I think there is a ton of upside in that room and by 2024 or 2025, if they can all keep progressing and stay healthy, it could be one of the best we have seen in awhile.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the first time in quite a long time, I can honestly say that I really like the potential of the Packer receiving room (WR's and TE's). I think there is a ton of upside in that room and by 2024 or 2025, if they can all keep progressing and stay healthy, it could be one of the best we have seen in awhile.
I agree. A lot of potential in those two rooms. Now it's up to the coaching staff and Love to make it a reality. No matter how good they can be, they'll only be as good as the plan that's employed to explore their talents. With Love, it's all a question mark, until it starts to play out during the regular season.

This should be a preseason that gives us a lot of answers. Yet, it probably won't be. There's such a steep learning curve for everyone at this point that they'll be trying all sorts of things, and much of it will be scrapped before the season starts. Enjoy the ride. It's called the Green Bay Roller coaster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's called the Green Bay Roller coaster.
Probably should be the theme for this season and possibly next. If I had more confidence in Barry, I would say this could be one of the best defenses that the Packers have had in quite awhile. The biggest questions marks are the QB and the receivers. Until that group bonds and develops, I think there will be a lot of nervous fans in Green Bay.

Reaction score
This might initially sound trivial, but the bottom of our WR group is strong. The 2023 draft presented a host of very good, but not dominant area WR’s. If you needed a Good Slot Receiver this was that draft. The other area that I read was WR strong was the very back of this draft. That’s where we grabbed Dubose and had Heath bern a shade better blocker or contested catch guy then he possibly gets taken in Rd6-7.

Meanwhile we wisely snatched Wicks in the middle of the draft. I thought it was telling that Dontayvion’s WR Coach (Elliott from Cavaliers) told him that Wicks was as talented a WR as he’d coached in 11 years. It’s not hard to say that about an athlete who surpassed Herman Moore’s College record. That list of Elliot coached players also includes several Day1 and Day2 drafted players. He’s an ideal fit for GB as he’s a very good possession Receiver and if he finds a way to fix his drops, he can become a very good WR2-3 in the NFL.

I’m probably most excited to see what Reed does. I heard another former NFL WR say Reed is very similar to Zay Flowers once possessing the ball and will be slippery and damaging to opponents once he regularly gets the ball in his hands. There’s a good reason GB passed on a plethora of other talented Wideouts to select Jayden Reed at #50 overall. That Cat is better than his good looks.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was glad that we let Lowry go but not so happy we let Reed get away. Wyatt playing way more should be a good thing and of course we have Kenny Clark. But unless VanNess can play some interior; I'm not feeling real confident about our trench. Am I unnecessarily worried?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was glad that we let Lowry go but not so happy we let Reed get away. Wyatt playing way more should be a good thing and of course we have Kenny Clark. But unless VanNess can play some interior; I'm not feeling real confident about our trench. Am I unnecessarily worried?
Wyatt is a rising star. He should be impacting the game this season. He plays more gap penetration than eating blockers which is what the system Barry runs requires. Slaton should be just okay and not be an opportunity for the offensive. LVN will impact as a rookie and should contribute on the DL during passing downs. And Brooks/Wooden may provide some good snaps and are more of the future of the DL. Line should be bolstered by some very aggressive and big ILBs as well. I see the DL as being noticeably better this season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the optimism I see in most of you is correct. I'm just not convinced this is an upper half team at this point. In fact, I think they're going to have to work to get in that upper 2/3 of the league. I see 7 wins as being a successful season. I see growth in young players, but am always reminded as to how fans were ready to throw Raushan Gary under the bus during his first two years in the league, saying he was stupid, had no talent, was lazy, and was a wasted pick. Guess what? They were wrong, weren't they?

It takes time to learn the NFL game, and actually get in a physical condition that makes you more of a formidable opponent.

Two years. Until then, I'm going to watch patiently, as players learn their craft. Very few step in quickly and are major producers. Even those headed for the HOF.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the biggest issue many I've spoken to is understanding that while optimism exists, don't take that as a meaning it will result in Ws. From a prospect perspective there is so so much to be excited to see play, and optimism indicators are throughout the entire roster more than I've personally held for some time - especially at the bottom sides of depth charts.

While 2023 excites me, it is 2024 and 2025 which this team I feel is setting up for a MASSIVE chance at something special. The intersection of veteran pieces in their prime, and hopefully young beasts on their rookie contracts could result in an incredible team truthfully.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While 2023 excites me, it is 2024 and 2025 which this team I feel is setting up for a MASSIVE chance at something special. The intersection of veteran pieces in their prime, and hopefully young beasts on their rookie contracts could result in an incredible team truthfully.
This is exactly where I am at.

The most critical piece is going to be Love. While I don't think he has to be playing like a FHOF QB by 2025, he needs to be playing above average and still ascending.

Gute was wise not to make any big FA moves this year. The team is getting younger and cap healthy. If after 2023, Love and the other young players look like the real deal, Gute can make a few FA moves to try and fill any remaining holes. Then, the big decision will be Bahk. Whether they trade or cut him, they face a dead cap hit of $19+M. If they keep him for 2024, that adds another $21.4M cap hit to the 19+. I don't foresee the Packers taking a $40M cap hit, even on a FHOF LT. So if he is playing at a high enough level and stays healthy, possibly a restructure. That is, if Bahk wants to stay in GB.

During 2023, the Packers need to work out contracts with Gary and Nijman. After that, Dillon and maybe Nixon are the only two 2024 pending free agents that at this point, are priorities. Obviously, there might be guys that play well enough in 2023, that make them priorities to resign as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is exactly where I am at.

The most critical piece is going to be Love. While I don't think he has to be playing like a FHOF QB by 2025, he needs to be playing above average and still ascending.

Gute was wise not to make any big FA moves this year. The team is getting younger and cap healthy. If after 2023, Love and the other young players look like the real deal, Gute can make a few FA moves to try and fill any remaining holes. Then, the big decision will be Bahk. Whether they trade or cut him, they face a dead cap hit of $19+M. If they keep him for 2024, that adds another $21.4M cap hit to the 19+. I don't foresee the Packers taking a $40M cap hit, even on a FHOF LT. So if he is playing at a high enough level and stays healthy, possibly a restructure. That is, if Bahk wants to stay in GB.

During 2023, the Packers need to work out contracts with Gary and Nijman. After that, Dillon and maybe Nixon are the only two 2024 pending free agents that at this point, are priorities. Obviously, there might be guys that play well enough in 2023, that make them priorities to resign as well.

So on the Bakh front...I honestly believe he's waiting to see what Love is. If Love is everything Gute/MLF seem to think I 100% picture Bakh extending and doing so at a reasonable number as GB would arguably be the most likely spot to win a ring perhaps.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So on the Bakh front...I honestly believe he's waiting to see what Love is. If Love is everything Gute/MLF seem to think I 100% picture Bakh extending and doing so at a reasonable number as GB would arguably be the most likely spot to win a ring perhaps.
That and probably his own health. Maybe Rodgers poking at him about "getting fat", will motivate him. :)

Meanwhile, the Packers have a guy like Tom and Josh, that potentially could slide in at LT, without much of a drop-off. So for the Packers, Bahk's future with the team might hinge on the guys that are currently behind him.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sliding scale of determining who is kept, and not kept, doesn't necessarily hinge on which player is better, but more along the lines of how their salary will slot into the overall picture of how the team can keep the roster stocked with players capable of playing at each level within the hierarchy. This is the one thing that none of the teams share with the public, because it's all based on their personal evaluations of each player, and what they specifically have to offer to the entire team concept.

In some cases, superior talent is dumped, because it's salary demands far exceeds the level of return on investment necessary, to keep the team competitive.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The sliding scale of determining who is kept, and not kept, doesn't necessarily hinge on which player is better, but more along the lines of how their salary will slot into the overall picture of how the team can keep the roster stocked with players capable of playing at each level within the hierarchy. This is the one thing that none of the teams share with the public, because it's all based on their personal evaluations of each player, and what they specifically have to offer to the entire team concept.

In some cases, superior talent is dumped, because it's salary demands far exceeds the level of return on investment necessary, to keep the team competitive.
Very true. That said, Gute and the Packers will begin to see some wiggle room in 2024, when it comes to the Cap. My earlier point was that as of now, if they can get Gary and Yosh signed, they may not have any pending 2024 FA's that they will have to break the bank on.

2025 gets a little tougher with potential Packer FA's. Included in the current list are:

- Kenny Clark
- Bahk
- Love
- Aaron Jones
- Rasul Douglas
- Eric Stokes (5th year option may be taken)
- Josh Myers

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true. That said, Gute and the Packers will begin to see some wiggle room in 2024, when it comes to the Cap. My earlier point was that as of now, if they can get Gary and Yosh signed, they may not have any pending 2024 FA's that they will have to break the bank on.

2025 gets a little tougher with potential Packer FA's. Included in the current list are:

- Kenny Clark
- Bahk
- Love
- Aaron Jones
- Rasul Douglas
- Eric Stokes (5th year option may be taken)
- Josh Myers
Interestingly enough, the only one among them that might be part of the team beyond then is Love, and in a lot of ways, that might not be the case either, unless he proves to be indispensable.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe for sure one of Stokes or Rasul is still gonna be here unless both fail miserably...but of course that could be said about any of them.

If traditional tendencies of regression or ascension happen of that list if I were to bet who is here after that time frame of that group I'd rank it in the following order:

Love
Kenny Clark
Aaron Jones
Eric Stokes
Bakh
Rasul Douglas
Josh Myers

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe for sure one of Stokes or Rasul is still gonna be here unless both fail miserably...but of course that could be said about any of them.

If traditional tendencies of regression or ascension happen of that list if I were to bet who is here after that time frame of that group I'd rank it in the following order:

Love
Kenny Clark
Aaron Jones
Eric Stokes
Bakh
Rasul Douglas
Josh Myers
Stokes can't handle man coverage from what we've seen so far. That don't bode well with the defense the Packers utilize. He's solid in zone, but very weak in man. That's why I see them replacing him. Douglas will be about 30, and wanting his last contract. Gonna be difficult signing him with a multiple year deal that will keep him. He'll end up signed elsewhere I'm afraid.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes can't handle man coverage from what we've seen so far. That don't bode well with the defense the Packers utilize. He's solid in zone, but very weak in man. That's why I see them replacing him. Douglas will be about 30, and wanting his last contract. Gonna be difficult signing him with a multiple year deal that will keep him. He'll end up signed elsewhere I'm afraid.

In his healthy season I am almost positive he performed according to many metrics nearly identical in man vs zone.

I don’t think I can agree with the stokes assessment, personally there is a lot of unknown in him IMO with his injury stealing a second year.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts