1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Fans billboard ask the Milwaukee Bucks to tank it

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by longtimefan, Nov 28, 2013.

1. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +294
    Indeed - that was great to see. I mean, the guy is 78 years old - even he knows it's time to pass things on. Getting a new arena is tantamount to everything. Frankly, the best thing would be to raze the old Mecca, raze the Bradley Center and just build a modern facility with parking, where those two buildings are. Trouble is, where are all the tenants going to play for a year while that's being done?

2. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,188
    Unless he gives up a majority share of the ownership of the team, I don't see anything changing. Perhaps he's looking to set up a succession plan and something will change when he dies. Best case is for him to sell the team outright but that's unlikely to happen if the new owner has to keep the team in Milwaukee.

3. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Why not? The whole point of this is to find investors that have no choice but to keep the team in Milwaukee.

4. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +3,188
    I don't think the Bucks will improve until there's a change in ownership and I heard Kohl is just shopping for minority owners. If Herb retains 51% or more of the team, I don't see anything changing until he's dead. If there is someone, or a group, willing to purchase a significant ownership interest AND keep the team in Milwaukee I'd rather he/they purchase controlling interest in the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Hey man ... absolutely NO argument with any of that. I agree. I'm a Bucks fan and I just want what's best for the team and how them being successful is good for the city. I grew up going to the Mecca in the early-mid-late 80's and when that place was packed on a Friday or Saturday night, it was always awesome. It can be done in a smaller market, but it needs to be done right. They hired that Morway guy to be the assistant GM, who came from the Pacers - he knows how to build a good team in the market and scenario that Milwaukee is. I'm patient with things, moving forward. I hope it all pans out.

6. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Don't know if it starts this year or next. Or maybe they're still talking about a new totally stupid way to do their draft. On PTI the other day they were talking about each team gets a # then spin the wheel to see what # it lands on. U could win the NBA championship & still get the #1 pick.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  7. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Yes, this horrible. Worst idea ever. Just do what every other league does and go worst to first in the draft. It's the only fair way.

8. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Whoever came up w/this idea had to be drunk,high or just plan stupid. How in the world did this even remotely sound like a good idea.

9. ThxJackVainisi

Ratings:
    +3,188
    Just thought I'd update this thread. Not only do the Bucks have the best chance to pick #1, but Kohl is out of the ownership of the team completely. Neither event guarantees anything resembling success but at least there is legitimate hope for it. $200M is a good head start for a new arena.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    I saw the sign advertised on TV or somewhere. A pic of lotto balls & it said it takes balls to lose. Lol

11. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    The present is dimmer than its ever been in Milwaukee, but with new ownership, possibly a new arena and Giannis + a star in this year's draft the future may be brighter than an 8 seed finally. I'll take it.

12. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    I was looking for this thread, couldn't find the damn thing - thanks for pulling it up!

I was at the last game this past Wednesday night. That had been planned for months - the Save Our Bucks group scheduled the get-together. Then, amazingly, on the very last day of the greatest non-intentional tank season ever, Kohl sells the team and the Bucks get new owners. We all went ape-sh*t nuts and partied as if they'd won the title, lol. Make no mistake ... other than winning the title in 1971 - this was arguably the best day in team history, certainly in the modern era.

I do need to thank Kohl for some things - he's the reason they're still in Milwaukee and he's been selfless with his money. But his "old man's club" philosophy needed to go. The Bucks (of all teams - the Milwaukee Bucks!) now have one of the top five richest ownership people in all of North American sports. Furthermore, the fact that Edens and Lasry contributed $100 million towards a new arena and then Kohl matched that - is unprecedented. There are still hurdles to clear, but this was HUGE.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1