1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Fans billboard ask the Milwaukee Bucks to tank it

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by longtimefan, Nov 28, 2013.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ey-billboard-begging-team-172147467--nba.html

2. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +294
    Here is the story ...

http://saveourbucks.com/

Here is the billboard link ...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-our-bucks-com-billboard-project

Damn right we did! This all started on the Bucks forum that I've been with for a couple of years on the Real GM web site. Personally, I think the billboard needs some modifications. The lottery balls (while appropriate), may confuse people into thinking it's for the Wisconsin Lottery, or something. Obviously, we can't put the Bucks' logo on it for legal reasons, etc. But, we raised over $5,000 in less than 48 hours, which frankly, is incredible. Final billboard design/look is pending.

The message is NOT directly to tank the season - that is offensive to the players, and in the spirit of competitiveness, etc. The message is to indirectly tank, by playing the young kids on the team, developing them and then use what is hopefully a top-3 lottery pick to get a star player - a must in today's NBA. We don't want to upset Herb Kohl - we just want him to be the bank of the team, but hire a leader with a proper vision for the future. Bottom line - if the Bucks don't replace the Bradley Center, they're gone.

NBA basketball is no longer relevant in Milwaukee. Hell, it hasn't been for over 20 years. That is sad. The message is ... we will get behind you and support you, if you do things the right way. I grew up watching the Bucks of the 80's and while I could not really care about the NBA anymore as a whole, I care deeply about the Bucks being relevant again because that's good for Milwaukee. I'm an Illinois resident and taxpayer - have been my entire life. But, I contribute to Wisconsin's economy every time I go to Green Bay or Milwaukee for Packers or Bucks games and I want what is best for Wisconsin and its people. The Bucks leaving town is not what is best for Milwaukee. The Bucks sucking ant nuts for 20+ years and getting the 8th seed annually is not what is best for their fans!

4. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    The thing is you saw a lot of teams this off-season prepare to tank for this great upcoming draft. The Bucks were not one of those teams. They spent money to win this season, and they're worse than all the tanking teams..

5. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    True. Well ... this is a fan-driven mutiny, telling the Bucks that the way they do things and have been doing things, is stupid and never going to work. The status quo of the Bucks is a one-way fast track ticket out of town and that's what we're trying to prevent from happening before it's too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Zartan

Zartan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +219
    Im not really an NBA guy but it would suck if The Bucks moved.

7. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Hire Capers, he might be looking for a job ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Screw the bucks....get an NHL team and it will THRIVE.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,129
    Here’s my 2 cents on the Bucks (although this isn’t quite worth all that): The thread title says some fans are asking the Bucks to tank it. It looks to me like they didn’t have to ask: So far, so good.

IMO the problem with the Bucks is the ownership. Herb has been as effective owning the team as he was as a Senator. (The invisible Senator from Wisconsin.) It was swell of Herb to buy 'em and keep them in Milwaukee, but he should have sold them years and years ago. And he should sell 'em today. And if that means they would move out of Milwaukee, so be it: It’s not like Milwaukee has had a professional NBA team anyway.

BTW, it’s interesting that a life-long Illinois resident would be so concerned about the welfare of Milwaukee and Wisconsin. Nothing wrong with that of course. Just interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    I told him the same thing...Nothing ever changes with the team..The only constant thing is him

11. Zartan

Zartan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +219
    That isnt a Bad idea to be perfectly honest. Would love A Pro NHL team in Wisconsin.

12. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Obviously - yes, Herb is the core of the problem because of his meddling ways. If he were a hands-off owner, we wouldn't be in this mess. Here's the real issue ... he needs a new arena and he thinks that if the team tanks, he won't get the arena. This is why he keeps forcing Hammond to make idiotic mid-season trades that ultimately lead to nothing but the 8th seed and a 1st-round knockout. The crazier issue is that Hammond's drafting overall, has been excellent, BUT ... the kids never get to play, they rot on the bench and then get shipped out for a half-season rental like JJ Reddick last year, who did absolutely nothing here. Instead, Tobias Harris will thrive and become a great player with the Magic. Not a superstar, but a very good player. This is pure madness.

What Herb doesn't get through his stubborn thick skull, is the message we're sending, which is - we will support the young kids if you play them, develop them, and KEEP them. Sound familiar? It should - that's the Ted Thompson way. Herb just needs to be the fat wallet for the team and nothing else.

As for me caring about Wisconsin and its people - yes, very much. I've been going to Packers games since 1982 and Bucks games since 1985 or so. I have a love affair with those two teams. Milwaukee is a great, fun city. It's a scaled down version of Chicago with nowhere near the amount of crime and shootings. For the Bucks to be relevant again would be an economic boon to that part of downtown. Friday and Saturday nights with a packed Major Goolsby's and then a packed arena and then packed bars after the game, etc. Those were fun, fun times. It would be great to have them back.

13. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Um ... I agree - it would thrive, but unless Rocky Wirtz and the NHL change and modify the legal provision in the paperwork, it's not going to happen. When Bill Wirtz bought the Blackhawks in 1959, he had it put in writing, that there could not be another NHL team within 90 miles of Chicago. He didn't want another team tapping into his fan base and market. His son Rocky owns the team now (one of the best owners in sports), so he'd likely have to intervene and frankly, I think he'd like a team in Milwaukee, because it gets a rivalry going, close proximity, etc. His old man was a greedy bastard with mob ties in the liquor license and distributorship business. THAT, is the only reason the NHL has never come to Milwaukee.

It did get close during the 1992 expansion year when Ottawa and Tampa Bay got teams - Milwaukee was actually in the bidding, but that Lloyd Pettit dude heard what the expansion fee was and balked, before he could submit paperwork to apply for a team and eliminate the Blackhawks' 90 miles thing. He wanted to put the Admirals in the NHL, but sadly - it wasn't to be and still isn't to be. So, that's the deal with the NHL and Milwaukee.

I agree - screw the NBA - I don't care one hoot about it anymore and haven't for years. But the Bucks are the Bucks and I don't know anything but supporting the Bucks. I still go to one or two games a year. The NHL would be better - no doubt. But as long as the Bucks are in Milwaukee, I'm behind them and their being a part of Milwaukee's scene.

14. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,129
    That Lloyd Pettit dude ( :) ) was a sports caster in Chicago (did some Cubs and Bears games in addition to the Blackhawks) and he loved hockey. He is a lesson in marrying well: He married Jane Bradley whose father co-founded the Allen-Bradley company. Through foundations and from her personal assets she gave away several hundreds of millions of dollars during her lifetime. So I was surprised Pettit didn’t agree to pay the expansion fee to bring an NHL team to Milwaukee. I’m not a hockey fan but an NHL team in Milwaukee would make all kinds of sense.

BTW, if I were living in a county affected by a tax to support a new facility for the Bucks, I would be against it unless Herb would sell the team.

15. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    The Pettit thing - I don't think it was the money itself - he had the money - Pettit balked and bailed out because the expansion fee was twice more than what half the NHL teams were worth at the time. That was partly due to the horribly declining value of the Canadian dollar, which directly led to the Nordiques and Jets being relocated.

No argument there. I also have issues with the general public having to pay taxes on fields and courts that millionaires run around on. That isn't right. The Packers are a little bit different. If I lived in Brown County and had to pay taxes on pretty much anything Packers-related, I'd be okay with it. But anything else - no way. As for the Herb issue - it's a tough situation because he's the one who's kept them there and made sure they stayed there. It's everything else about him, that is the huge problem.

16. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    I think Rocky would love a team in Milwaukee and would allow for it. This new alignment of conferences has taken away the Detroit rivalry and given the Hawks no real rivalry except St Louis. Its a shame the NHL forced that team to stay in Phoenix as that would have been a perfect move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    I think Quebec City deserves the Nordiques back, before anything else happens. Besides, their new arena will be done in early 2015, if not earlier. I'd say that's a foregone conclusion.

18. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Hartford needs the Whale back too.

19. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Ha! Yeah, that would be cool. They're the current Carolina Hurricanes. See, what I'll never understand, is Bettman's insistence on putting hockey in the south, while keeping it out of Canada. I mean, not to generalize or stereotype anyone, but ... the Carolinas??? Isn't that like, NASCAR and Tar Heels basketball country or something? The Atlanta Thrashers, lol. Yeah, that went over real well. They gave Atlanta an NHL team and it failed not once, but TWICE. Tampa Bay, Miami (Panthers), Phoenix, Dallas, etc. This is just ridiculous.

20. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    It was all about the revenue generated from TV I thought. Now with the NHL network and streaming capabilities i wonder if that matters less now and they can put teams in areas that actually have a real fan base.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    I just got tickets for Saturday night's game vs. the Nets. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I still love the Bucks.

22. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    With that 11 game skid(mark) I thought they were tanking it.

23. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    LOL, they were tanking it without even trying. Giannis, Henson, and Knight are the only reasons to watch this team. Giannis is gonna be sick. He's 18 and not even done growing. His wingspan is 7'3" and his doctors say he's 6'10 and may exceed 7 feet when he's done. Now, as long as Hammond doesn't do something insanely stupid like trade him mid-season so we can get the 8th seed ... this kid has all the makings of a bonafide superstar. Watch this swat, then court-length sprint-n-slam - this is ridiculous ...

Herb Kohl needs to just do shots of prune juice and stay out of it.

24. PackerFlatLander

Ratings:
    +294
    Billboard went up yesterday at I-43 and W. McKinley Ave.

[​IMG]

I had courtside seats two weeks ago. Some dude offered me 50 bucks for the Sikma shirt. No way, jose. They lost the game, which sucked, but hey ... it was great for the tank!

[​IMG]

25. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    I told you that the only way this team gets better is a new owner...

Now that Kohl is bringing in new people with money this might help to change the team

• Like Like x 1