Fan Loyalty Rankings

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually a very interesting study considering study was determined by :

NFL Fan Loyalty: Methodology
bizjournals - September 4, 2006by G. Scott Thomas

• Methodology

Bizjournals has rated the level of fan loyalty for all 32 National Football League teams, based on seven statistical indicators over a 10-year period. Here are the details:

Goal: The study’s objective is to identify the NFL’s best fans. Not the ones who turn out in strong numbers for a winning team, but the ones who stay loyal even if their team is losing, the weather is frightful or their local market is small.

Period: The study covers the 10 seasons from 1996 through 2005. Twenty-eight of the NFL’s 32 teams played in the same market throughout the 10-year period. The exceptions are Tennessee (which began play in 1997), Cleveland (1999), Houston (2002) and New Orleans (which spent the 2005 season on the road in the wake of Hurricane Katrina). Statistics for the first three teams cover all seasons that they played during the decade. Attendance figures for New Orleans are limited to 1996-2004.

Source: Attendance figures have been tabulated annually by Bizjournals and cross-checked against totals reported by other media outlets. (The NFL does not release team-by-team attendance figures.) Winning percentages are based on NFL standings. Population and income statistics are from the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis. Temperatures are from the National Weather Service and Weatherbase.com.

Support factors: Sixty percent of each team’s score is based on three support factors. A team with high average attendance, high percent of capacity and low attendance fluctuation will do best on this side of the formula. Here’s an explanation of these three support factors:

1. Average attendance -- Average crowd at regular-season home games, 1996-2005.

2. Percent of capacity -- Percentage of all available seats that were occupied at home games, 1996-2005.

3. Attendance fluctuation -- Difference (in percentage points) between the best and worst annual percentages of occupied seats, 1996-2005.

Support rank: Teams are ranked from first to 32nd according to their overall levels of support. First place goes to the team that received the strongest support over the decade.

Difficulty factors: Forty percent of each team’s score is based on four difficulty factors. A team with a low winning percentage, low market population, low per capita income and low December temperature will do best on this side of the formula. Here’s an explanation of these four difficulty factors:

1. Winning percentage -- Team’s 1996-2005 regular-season record.

2. Market population -- Population of the BEA economic area that includes the team, 2004. The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis sets the boundaries for BEA economic areas.

3. Per capita income -- Average income per resident of the BEA economic area, 2004.

4. December temperature -- Average high temperature for the month. Domed-stadium teams are automatically assigned the worst score in this category.

Difficulty rank: Teams are ranked from first to 32nd according to the overall difficulty they present to supporters. First place goes to the team that was the most difficult to support over the decade.

Formula: Each team has been compared against the leaguewide averages for all seven factors. Teams less than seven years old have had their scores cut according to a sliding scale, reducing the statistical impact of the honeymoon period enjoyed by all new sports franchises. (Houston is the only franchise affected this year.) Factor scores have been totaled according to the 60-40 ratio noted above, with final results expressed on a 32-point scale. The higher its score, the greater a team’s level of fan loyalty.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow - i'd have thought the bears would have been alot higher. i know they've got the 'boo bears or boo birds' - whatever they call 'em. but still...most of the bears fans i know are hard core!!

good to see the packers near the top - now if we'd only be near the top in the wins category...:)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thought I would see us 1st here but I do like how the survey was done and am happy we showed up 4th !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
wow - i'd have thought the bears would have been alot higher.

i wouldnt. it was hard to find any bears fans till they started getting good the last couple of years.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The researchers weighting of factors skewed their own results.

Market population appears incorrect. 7 million for Detroit and 817K for Green Bay? Oakland and San Francisco have the exact same market size 9.3 million.

The "difficulty factor" seems very subjective. Browns were the most difficult to support, Cardinals 5th, the Lions 9th, the 49'ers 27th and the vikings were the "easiest to support".

Several new stadiums have been built causing a change in capacity during the time observed. The Steelers added capacity and the Bucaneers decreased.

The key statistic is attendance fluctuation.
Less fluctuation indicates better fans and more fluctuation less loyal fans.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole concept used to determine this Fan loyalty of professional football franchise is completely wrong.

Anybody who has knowledge of history of the Green Bay Packers and it's fans know the Green Bay Packer fan is the most loyal of any Fan of any franchise in the world.

The Green Bay Packer fan has reach down into his pocket and kept this Franchise in business for 87 years. From its very beginning Packer fans have given money to keep this franchise in business from 1919 until the present.

The Packer fan has not only bought tickets but bought Packer stock 4 times in Packer history to keep this franchise operating in the smallest market in major league sports. Packer stock does not go up in value and gives the stockholder no dividends or interest. It is a donation of the fans money to keep the Packers operating. The Green Bay Packers have no rich owner.

Green Bay and Brown County with a population under 200,000 voted to County Sales tax to pay for complete renovation of Lambeau Field with a price tag of over $200,000,000. The season ticket holder paid $1,400 per ticket for seat tax to Packer s for each Packer ticket they have to help pay for the nenovation of Lambeau.

Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960 and has a season ticket waiting list of over 60,000. it is the only small town franchise left in the NFL and has been in the NFL since 1921. In 2005, The Packers were 7th in NFL in revenue earned and are in the smallest market in NFL.

It is truly remarkable that the Packers in city of 102,000 are still in existence in NFL and are still in Green Bay and it is due to the Great Green Bay Packer fan. Green Bay Packer fan is Number one and it isn't even close.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent post PWT36,

Although I do like how the study was done ( fairly indepth for a study of this nature ), You are correct in your above post and a couple of the very important things you mentioned were missing in the study. Well, no study is perfect but thanks for shedding the extra light. I have always considered Green Bay fan's #1, Cheers !!!

Members online

Latest posts