FAN FEST: GM TT COMMENTS

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson addresses 'owners' at Fan Fest by Korth scout.com

Packers general manager stresses importance of developing from within.

Ted Thompson addressed fans at the Green Bay Packers’ annual Fan Fest this afternoon in the Lambeau Field atrium. While Thompson was not available to reporters, he did answer questions from former Packers center Larry McCarran while taping a television show that will air statewide tonight. Thompson has come under heavy criticism thus far in free agency because he has yet to sign any players to fill vacancies left by running back Ahman Green, who signed with Houston, fullback William Henderson (released), or tight end David Martin, who signed with the Miami Dolphins. Thompson said that the Packers are “working on some things” regarding free agency, but did not elaborate. Coach Mike McCarthy, who also was a guest on the TV show, said that it is important for the team’s younger players to “step up.” McCarthy also said that 75 players have committed to participate in the team’s off-season workout program, which begins on March 19. McCarthy said that is the most of any team in the league.

Here are Thompson’s responses to questions from McCarren:

On if he is surprised by any of the signings in free agency:

“We’ve expected to have some fairly dramatic deals because of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement and the salary cap. If a team felt like they had to address a particular need, then we felt like there would be some good deals. “We haven’t done anything. We tried to sign Ahman Green and David Martin both, but we didn’t come to an agreement there. We’re still working on some things. Even though we haven’t done anything, or haven’t signed anybody, it doesn’t mean that we’re sitting on our hands. We’re working on it, trying to find the right fit.”

On how he plans to replace Ahman Green:

“First and foremost, we have four young backs on our team that we’re going to try to develop from within. We’ve said it over and over, and Mike and I have talked about this a lot, the best way to become a good, sustaining team, is to develop from within. We’re going to give these guys a shot, and we’re going to bring in some competition for them. You never know what happens in free agency or the draft, but we’re going to count on the guys we have on our team.”

On if Aaron Rodgers is the team’s quarterback of the future?

“Yes, absolutely. Aaron’s working very hard. He’s a fine player. He wants to play, and he understands the position that he’s in. He got injured last year in the only opportunity he had to play, but he’s continued to develop. Mike and I are both very high on him, and he’s going to be a good player.”

On what he can say about trading for Randy Moss:

“You don’t say anything, that’s the best way to do it.”

On how he would characterize the NFL draft:

“We feel very confident that we’ll be able to take a really good player. The key is, ‘Do we know what we’re doing?’ But we know what we’re doing and we’ll get some good players for this team.”

On his thoughts on California RB Marshawn Lynch, whom many speculate the Packers will select with the 16th overall pick:

“He looks like a good player. We just got back from the (NFL) Combine, and a lot of players came through. We’re impressed with this group (of running backs). We feel that the first round is deep enough to take a good player at 16.”

On how far away the Packers are from contending for a Super Bowl title:

“The NFL is a funny business. You can be on the bottom and rise pretty fast. We feel like we’re getting better. We have improved the core of our team. We have some good guys who have brought us some leadership and know their responsibilities. We did pretty good through the course of the season, and it was a tough season because we had some bad games here at Lambeau Field, certainly. We’re going to try to avoid that. We have a chance, as far as predicting, but, again, the best way for us to be successful is for quality improvement from within.”

:feedback: :feedback: :twocents: :twocents:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAN FEST: MOSS

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6553286

Packers pondering potential Moss trade AP

Even fans who own shares of Green Bay Packers stock don't have veto power over a potential trade for a player seen here as a touchdown-scoring scoundrel - Randy Moss. When the widely rumored trade was brought up in front of a crowd at the Packers' annual Fan Fest at Lambeau Field on Friday evening, boos and hisses drowned out any timid cheers. Packers general manager Ted Thompson was sitting on stage at the time. So, Ted, what do you say to that? "I don't say anything," Thompson said. "That's the best way to do it." In keeping with Thompson's close-to-the-vest philosophy, he hasn't officially acknowledged that he is exploring a trade for Moss - which is fine, because the Oakland Raiders haven't said that they're bent on trading the talented but moody former Pro Bowl wide receiver.

But Packers chairman and CEO Bob Harlan hinted strongly on Friday that the Packers' front office is going through the same sort of character risk-versus-reward debate they did before signing former Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Koren Robinson last fall. And Harlan says fans who have called his office to weigh in on Moss generally don't like the idea of trading for a receiver who might be past his prime, might be playing his way out of a second NFL city because of his questionable attitude - and, by the way, once pretended to "moon" the fans at Lambeau after scoring a touchdown. "I don't want to say it's been overwhelming, but there have been a few fans who (complained)," Harlan said. "And the thing they basically say to me is, "You guys have so much class. Don't lose class now."' Harlan, who is retiring in May, said he is very concerned about maintaining the team's image. And those concerns will play a role in whether the team pushes ahead toward a trade. "I've had fans call me and say, 'Bob, I'd rather see you go 0-16 than do some things that were done here in the '80s,"' Harlan said. "And believe me, I'm as concerned about the image of this franchise as anybody, and will be years from now. It's not just because I'm leaving. I'm very concerned about how we look next year and the year after that. So we're going to be cautious."

Harlan said the team had extensive discussions last year before signing Robinson, who is serving a suspension under the NFL's substance abuse policy. In February, Robinson was sentenced to 90 days in jail for fleeing police in Minnesota last August. But when - or if - Robinson is reinstated, the Packers might well welcome him back. "Ted talked to me about Koren Robinson, and I have to admit that at the beginning I was concerned," Harlan said. "And I think the thing that swayed me was the fact that Ted said he worked with the young man, he was a good person, and if he made one more mistake he wouldn't be here. And Ted understands how our fans feel about baggage." But, of course, making such judgments are nothing new for any NFL team. Harlan said that under former general manager Ron Wolf and former coach Mike Holmgren, the team talked regularly about the "baggage" any potential acquisition might bring to the team. "As Ron used to say, where do you hide him in Green Bay? And you don't," Harlan said. "And players have to understand that. I even talk to coaches about that. You're very visible in this community. You represent this organization day and night. Watch what you do. So we'll talk about it."

Thing is, Wolf seems to think Moss is worth the risk. Wolf, who was in attendance at the fan fest on Friday, said that Thompson should do the deal if he is comfortable with the information he has on Moss. "You have to know what you're getting, but if he can help you win, there's no question that you go after him," Wolf said. "Guys like Randy Moss don't walk down the street every day. You cannot discount that. From the time he took the field for Minnesota, he was a Packer killer." As for the fans' opinion, Wolf said that never mattered to him. "The objective is to win football games," Wolf said. "That's the No. 1 objective - obviously within reason." Now, the Packers' front office must decide whether Moss is worth the price. "Ted would come and talk to me before we did anything like that," Harlan said. "I think I'd rather wait until we get to that stage and see if it happens." Notes: Packers linebacker Nick Barnett told the crowd that he is still hoping for a contract extension. "They are working and talking, so hopefully we'll get something done," Barnett said. ... Harlan said the installation of Lambeau Field's new playing surface is "coming along fine." ... After losing free agent running back Ahman Green to the Houston Texans, Thompson said he has confidence in the team's remaining running backs, a group that includes Vernand Morency and Noah Herron. But, Thompson added, "We're going to bring in some competition for them."

:welcome:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not going to even attempt to read this last post, cuz it just hurts the hell out of my eyes.Could you try to make it more readable?Toss in some paragraphs.Sometimes those can do wonders to get your point across.I think it would be a great read if given the chance.But right now it is hardly worth my time to try and decipher it all in one sitting.I could copy and paste it, then break it up to my liking, but thats to much work for me.It is Saturday ya know and I am relaxing this morning.Btw how is my post?I am trying to ramble on to show you what its like to have to sit here and read something that is like yours.Please try the preview button every now and then.Sometimes just looking at something your self b4 posting is going to help others out in the long run.Sorry to be so negative sounding, but you have the little smileys for feedback, so that is what I am doing.Giving you some feedback on how hard it is to read your post.I am still rambling arent I?Well I think I will stop now, and hope that my point got across.Thank you for your time and also for trying to read this, and for fixing yours when you have the time.I am sure you will fix it sooner or latter!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I read these comments several things come to mind. Building and maintaining a strong franchise is based on the draft. If you draft good players, when someone chooses to leave, you always have someone in the background ready to step in. Ted is working hard to rebuild this franchise from the bottom up. We're fortunate in some ways to have seen what can happen with five years of bad drafting. Free Agency can turn a franchise around quickly, but it may not be the answer in long run unless you can get young players. My personal observation is that every team that wins seems to have picked up one veteran player in free agency with enough gas left in his tank to get that team over the top.

What I like about Green Bay is that this is a franchise that pays so much attention to every little detail. The put in new grass, they build a new stadium out of the old one, they have a great hall of fame, they care about their fans, and yet through all of that, everyone from top to bottom buys into the specialness of this franchise.

Then you have players like Sharper who took the money and ran, and in essence lost his legacy as a Packer. You never see guys like Sterling Sharp that comes back to do fanfest. Sometimes what you give up in a contract to stay in Green Bay pays huge dividends after they retire. I use Gilbert Brown as an example.

I just like what is happening. I think they're making the right choices at this stage of the rebuilding process in not paying significant money for good players.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
who won the last Super Bowl?

That's all ya gotta ask

Anyways, thanks for posting the 1st TT comments. I still don't think A-Rod is the QB of the future, but I guess if we gave Brett a chance we can give Aaron one.

I don't like the RB comments, we need to get a fill! Then again TT seems to like Marshawn Lynch who we'll probably draft, but we need experience! Vets!

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Thanks for the recap of TT at the Fan Fest, it is much appreciated (by me anyways).

Interesting stuff.

Thanks. The info is insider subscription info with a good summary. The AP article is being run on all forums with threads discussing both. Routine.

The one fan needs lighten up...easy to read as a newspaper sports article on the web. Who let the Bear fan in here.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not going to even attempt to read this last post, cuz it just hurts the hell out of my eyes.Could you try to make it more readable?Toss in some paragraphs.Sometimes those can do wonders to get your point across.I think it would be a great read if given the chance.But right now it is hardly worth my time to try and decipher it all in one sitting.I could copy and paste it, then break it up to my liking, but thats to much work for me.It is Saturday ya know and I am relaxing this morning.Btw how is my post?I am trying to ramble on to show you what its like to have to sit here and read something that is like yours.Please try the preview button every now and then.Sometimes just looking at something your self b4 posting is going to help others out in the long run.Sorry to be so negative sounding, but you have the little smileys for feedback, so that is what I am doing.Giving you some feedback on how hard it is to read your post.I am still rambling arent I?Well I think I will stop now, and hope that my point got across.Thank you for your time and also for trying to read this, and for fixing yours when you have the time.I am sure you will fix it sooner or latter!

Thats funny considering this paragraph is as large as everyone in the original post

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Thats funny considering this paragraph is as large as everyone in the original post

He edited his original post. It was initially one big blob of words.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
longtimefan said:

My apologies

He edited his original post. It was initially one big blob of words.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for passing along the Thompson comments, even though he didn't reveal much, as usual. Building from within is the best approach, as a basic strategy. I won't judge this off season until the 2007 season is in the books.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what T.T. is doing. He is not panicking, it is slow and steady growth without giving up the farm, wasting cap money on over priced F.A.'s and building from the draft.

Slow and steady is fine. Now for all of the Brett people that are going to jump on my left nut with a steel toe work boots, slow and steady could be a three year plan and this is the second year of that plan. Brett will be back next year.

You will thank T.T. later.

I believe that.

R.P.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts