Fake Packers on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That page was funny, I still think whoever was behind it should go stand up. They would make a good comedian. But the problem is, and I think this is one of the many points Alex was driving at, is that this guy actually managed to convince several people that he was the real Flynn. Kind of funny if you think about it. I really don't think this guy ever had any real intentions of doing anybody any harm, such as lure females or children to meet him under the pretext that he's really Flynn. However, Alex, along with a lot of other people, doesn't know that. I have to say what Alex is doing, weeding out all the fake Facebook pages is a very good thing. It's dangerous, God forbid some nut gets on there and actually lures somebody to meet him? I did think he got a little iron pawed with the "Flynn" page. Sometimes you just have to know how to reach people, I velveted my paws a little when dealing with the fake Flynn. I honestly don't think he ever had any intentions of harming anyone and was he seemed kind of taken by surprise by the negative reaction once somebody started accusing him of being fake.

That being said, I don't have an issue with fan pages that immediately acknowledge they are not the real player, just a fan page intended for discussion and information about that particular player. I think they need to make it clear they have NO affiliation with the player or organization whatsoever. Leave no room for confusion. If people are still confused and ask if you are really the player, obviously tell them no.

The fake pages are kind of ruining the fan pages so to speak. Now, when the real play goes to make a page, and several players have real pages as confirmed by Packers Lounge, people may not believe it's really them. Clay had a brilliant idea with putting a welcome video on his page, although I think he should "sticky" it or put the link for it in his left sidebar along with a mention of it in his info because the post is just going to get buried at the bottom of the page. People must of been questioning whether his page was fake.

I would like to see Facebook use some kind of "verified account" such as Facebook uses so people know it's real... I'm just a bit concerned with these fake pages and people getting misled. One day it's going to go too far.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
That page was funny, I still think whoever was behind it should go stand up. They would make a good comedian. But the problem is, and I think this is one of the many points Alex was driving at, is that this guy actually managed to convince several people that he was the real Flynn. Kind of funny if you think about it. I really don't think this guy ever had any real intentions of doing anybody any harm, such as lure females or children to meet him under the pretext that he's really Flynn. However, Alex, along with a lot of other people, doesn't know that. I have to say what Alex is doing, weeding out all the fake Facebook pages is a very good thing. It's dangerous, God forbid some nut gets on there and actually lures somebody to meet him? I did think he got a little iron pawed with the "Flynn" page. Sometimes you just have to know how to reach people, I velveted my paws a little when dealing with the fake Flynn. I honestly don't think he ever had any intentions of harming anyone and was he seemed kind of taken by surprise by the negative reaction once somebody started accusing him of being fake.

That being said, I don't have an issue with fan pages that immediately acknowledge they are not the real player, just a fan page intended for discussion and information about that particular player. I think they need to make it clear they have NO affiliation with the player or organization whatsoever. Leave no room for confusion. If people are still confused and ask if you are really the player, obviously tell them no.

The fake pages are kind of ruining the fan pages so to speak. Now, when the real play goes to make a page, and several players have real pages as confirmed by Packers Lounge, people may not believe it's really them. Clay had a brilliant idea with putting a welcome video on his page, although I think he should "sticky" it or put the link for it in his left sidebar along with a mention of it in his info because the post is just going to get buried at the bottom of the page. People must of been questioning whether his page was fake.

I would like to see Facebook use some kind of "verified account" such as Facebook uses so people know it's real... I'm just a bit concerned with these fake pages and people getting misled. One day it's going to go too far.

i honestly cant fathom why anyone would think clays page is fake. he has a ton of photos on there that no other page has.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
telling people he is going to send them things is suspicious at best. What is he going to start asking for addresses? This whole thing is scary and since its on the net I think you have to assume the worst.

Referring in the page to I and answering questions acting like your said player is just wrong. Nothing funny about it.

I see he had at least one other page he set up where he interacted with said player in order for people to feel more confident in the page being legitimate. Scary and extremely weird.

Did anyone see more than 2 pages this guy set up?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is on FB under a different name. Its actually him too seeing as he interacts with former Cal players frequently and has personal pics up.

Another much less famous packer has his phone # posted on his FB page. LOL. Maybe he is hoping for an endorsement deal that way.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
telling people he is going to send them things is suspicious at best. What is he going to start asking for addresses? This whole thing is scary and since its on the net I think you have to assume the worst.

Referring in the page to I and answering questions acting like your said player is just wrong. Nothing funny about it.

I see he had at least one other page he set up where he interacted with said player in order for people to feel more confident in the page being legitimate. Scary and extremely weird.

that flynn page was his only page. though there are a lot of fakes on facebook of pretty much every player.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
i honestly cant fathom why anyone would think clays page is fake. he has a ton of photos on there that no other page has.

I think that came about after Alex's article hit. People just started questioning everything. I never questioned Clay's page, but I think if anybody does, he should just sack them, then they'll know it's real!

They may not all be operated by the same person. Most players have several pages, fakes. I have no idea who was running the Flynn page, but I think whoever it was is wiser for it and won't do this kind of thing again.

Aaron Rodgers is on FB under a different name. Its actually him too seeing as he interacts with former Cal players frequently and has personal pics up.

Another much less famous packer has his phone # posted on his FB page. LOL. Maybe he is hoping for an endorsement deal that way.

I don't blame the players one bit for creating an account under a different name so they can browse and chat anonymously. I would do the same thing. As long the people you want to communicate with know who you are, it'll work. If they post under their real name, and people know it's really them, they are just gonna get bombarded. Scary thing is, we don't know which name they are using, so you just never know who you are really talking to. LOL!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is also running the blaine gabbert page as they used to "interact" with each other. If you look at the page its the same style.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

likes every post? check.

"contest" running? check

refers to self as "I" on page? check

changes info this week the same time the flynn page did and casually mentions its a fan made page? check

talks to the fake "matt flynn" page and talks about calling each other? Check.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh and both use other offical pages in mentions so people think their page is legit.

Seeing the similarities or no?

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
oh and both use other offical pages in mentions so people think their page is legit.

Seeing the similarities or no?

seeing how both pages say they are fan pages then idc. if someone is not smart enough to read the description or info or whatever it is then shame on them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seeing how both pages say they are fan pages then idc. if someone is not smart enough to read the description or info or whatever it is then shame on them.

which both were changed at the same time.

Wood chipper, are you behind either page? Im just asking because you seem to be defending the pages.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
which both were changed at the same time.

Wood chipper, are you behind either page? Im just asking because you seem to be defending the pages.

im in charge of the new matt flynn page since the old one disappeared. but i have it saying clearly its not affiliated with matt flynn or the Packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im in charge of the new matt flynn page since the old one disappeared. but i have it saying clearly its not affiliated with matt flynn or the Packers.

did you set up the previous page that has since come down?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I will ask again

Why is Cheesehead Tv listed in this title?? I see nothing about CHTV in that pic posted on 1st page of this thread

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
In case anyone else wants to make a fan page here are the rules. Pages Terms | Facebook
1. Any user may create a Page; however, only an authorized representative of the subject matter may administer the Page. Pages with names consisting solely of generic or descriptive terms will have their administrative rights removed.

2. Content posted to Pages is public information and is available to everyone.

3. If you collect information from users, you will obtain their consent, make it clear you (and not Facebook) are the one collecting their information, and post a privacy policy explaining what information you collect and how you will use it.

4. You must not build or incorporate any functionality that identifies which users visit your Page.

5. Applications on your Page must comply with the Facebook Platform Policies.

6. You take full responsibility for any sweepstakes, contest, competition or similar offering on your Page and must comply with our Promotions Guidelines.

7. Third party advertisements on Pages are prohibited. Ads or commercial content on Pages must comply with our Advertising Guidelines.

8. You will restrict access to your Page as necessary to comply with all applicable laws and Facebook terms and policies.

9. You may not establish terms beyond those set forth in these terms to govern the posting of content by users on a Page.

10. Page names must:

a. not consist solely of a generic or descriptive term (e.g. “beer” or “pizza”);

b. use proper, grammatically correct capitalization and may not include excessive capitalization or use all capitals;

c. not include character symbols, including but not limited to excessive punctuation and trademark designations; and

d. not include taglines, superfluous descriptions, or unnecessary qualifiers. Campaign names and/or regional or demographic qualifiers are acceptable.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Thanks for the rule post, WC. I personally don't plan to make a fan page because it would be about myself and I don't think anyone would "like" it. jk - LOL Anyway, it probably will be helpful to someone.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So cheesehead tv is so obssessed with the Matt Flynn "like" page (Matt Flynn | Facebook) so much to the point where they made a fake conversation with him (Oh fake Matt Flynn, thanks for the message. on Twitpic) to try and ruin the page.

Well heres where they went wrong. Any "like" page cannot Private Message (as shown in the pic) or Instant Message people. All interactions are through the wall of the page or on another "like" page wall.

I am really disappointed in them. They seem to be a credible source but when faking news like that, it makes me wonder what else they have faked or lied about.

Where does it say Cheesehead Tv on the pic you posted?

I cant find it, so maybe edit your post? Or shall I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts