Faith

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Last year everyone was calling TT a moron for not signing big name Free Agents on our defense.

How did our defense fair?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
top 10 in key categories i believe.

the only area we sucked at was turnovers, which should help now with ryan pickett scaring QBs and eating the run, best in the NFL.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Last year everyone was calling TT a moron for not signing big name Free Agents on our defense.

the most important hire he made was a coach, bates.

now we have bates jr, who worked with bates for more than 4 years(i wanna say 7, but im durnk, and dont wanna say something too silly)..

lets hope TTs coach hiring practices are still on the mark with MM and our old *** ST coach

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Not at all knocking TT here but I believe Bates was the "key" to our improved D last year.

According to what was said last season, he went back to basics and nothing more.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing more was needed to dig the defense out of the basement. Now to improve on that.

You just need to look back at the '85 Bears defense to see how it was run. Basic Defense.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tkpckfan said:
alot better than expected by anaylist

A lot better than most members of this board predicted. I believe the general consensus was TT was an idiot for not signing big name FAs, and there is NO WAY Bates can make that much difference. :roll:

It's funny how quickly people forget...

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense's numbers were a bit artificial. We were something like 25th against the run and 25th in scoring defense (also last in turnovers). Not terribly impressive. We may have been #1 against the pass but that's artificial too given that teams did not have to throw against us because they always jumped out to big leads.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Sanders will do ok with our D this year, we have made some good moves as far as signing Kampy, Pickett, and if we hook up Hawk or Super Mario, we will be in good shape. Now all we need to do is get another decent LB and Woodson or Law and we are set.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last years management problems weren't with defense, they were with offense. He needed to do better at finding capable replacements at OG and then for injuries at WR.

TT did do well in drafting and finding a couple of young, cheap FAs -- Donald Lee and Gado though.

It was a difficult offseason last year with little salary cap space, but we ended the year with $1.9 million under the cap that never went to extending any of our FAs. Our biggest need this offseason has been to upgrade the OL, and there's not much left for us to do that.

Inaction at upgrading the OL is the biggest problem right now. Of course that's just panic talking because there's still plenty of time left. Still, I hope that TT doesn't rely on what we have and the draft to fill out OL holes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
The defense's numbers were a bit artificial. We were something like 25th against the run and 25th in scoring defense (also last in turnovers). Not terribly impressive. We may have been #1 against the pass but that's artificial too given that teams did not have to throw against us because they always jumped out to big leads.

19th in scoring allowed ( 21.5 points per game) 10 rushing TDs and 22 passing TDs given up..Chicago, Indy and Pitt, under 16 points per game..

4 yards per rushing att..125 yards per game rushing..23rd in that stat..

Teams that had great records gave up more passing yards then the Pack, because their opps were trying to play catch up....

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zero2Cool said:

I remember making this SAME point when Bates was hired... Especially to some of the trolls on this board.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

Defensive
7th Overall
23rd Rushing
1st Passing
19th Points
tied for 29th by four teams in Turnovers

I'd like to see the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter points to see those Big leads. I watched every game minus the Saints game and I don't recall that 'always' jumped out to big leads.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zero2Cool said:

now we have bates jr, who worked with bates for more than 4 years(i wanna say 7, but im durnk, and dont wanna say something too silly)..

lets hope TTs coach hiring practices are still on the mark with MM and our old *** ST coach

He didn't hire Bates....Sherman did....In fact by hiring MM over him he, in effect, fired Bates.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had plenty of faith in Bates and the ability to improve greatly over the cluster-fluck defense of Slowik. If anything I had too much faith. I thought they would be more consistent in third-down defense, scoring defense, and creating turnovers than they were. Having said that, I do acknowledge their significant improvement from the previous year in most areas.

But to assert that Ted Thompson had much to do with that turn around is quite a stretch. I can only think of two changes on defense that Thompson even romotely had anything to do with. He went with Sherman's strong recommendation to draft Collins and he picked up Thomas at LB. He did draft some young guys that might contribute in the future, but who had insignificant contributions to the vast improvement from 2004 to 2005.

BTW Sherman clearly hired Bates -- a simple look at the timeline, and every single source within 1265 (including Thompson) affirmed this as being the case.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
I had plenty of faith in Bates and the ability to improve greatly over the cluster-fluck defense of Slowik. If anything I had too much faith. I thought they would be more consistent in third-down defense, scoring defense, and creating turnovers than they were. Having said that, I do acknowledge their significant improvement from the previous year in most areas.

But to assert that Ted Thompson had much to do with that turn around is quite a stretch. I can only think of two changes on defense that Thompson even romotely had anything to do with. He went with Sherman's strong recommendation to draft Collins and he picked up Thomas at LB. He did draft some young guys that might contribute in the future, but who had insignificant contributions to the vast improvement from 2004 to 2005.

BTW Sherman clearly hired Bates -- a simple look at the timeline, and every single source within 1265 (including Thompson) affirmed this as being the case.

Who is saying TT is responsable for the improvement on defense? I missed that comment.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Who is saying TT is responsable for the improvement on defense? I missed that comment.

tromadz said:
Zero2Cool said:

Does any of this strike a BELL for you?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
none of that matters now. As long as we have the same scheme, and a familiar coach, who worked with Bates for multiple years, thats the important thing.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense did improve, but they were still only about average, while the offense sucked and the team finished 4-12. This is not exactly a ringing endorsement of Thompson's reluctance to bring in big-time free agents. We won't really know how Thompson's approach is working for at least another year and probably two years.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
none of that matters now. As long as we have the same scheme, and a familiar coach, who worked with Bates for multiple years, thats the important thing.

I agree...I wasn't ripping TT just correcting some misconceptions. I like the job TT has done overall and I think that is how you should judge a GM....look at the overall shape of the team. But I don't feel it necessary to credit him with everything good that has happened or shield him from what's gone wrong.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats why i feel this year is the real big test. he brought in HIS coaches, hes got money to spend...lets see how it goes. he could blow it bigtime, but he hasnt given me personally any reason to believe he will.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
thats why i feel this year is the real big test. he brought in HIS coaches, hes got money to spend...lets see how it goes. he could blow it bigtime, but he hasnt given me personally any reason to believe he will.

I agree.

(right about now the temperature in hell is 32 degrees.) :lol: :lol:

Members online

Latest posts