Failmary fallout

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the wrong call in Seattle change the outcome of our season?

Would a bye week have helped?

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game would have been in Lambeau and the Packers would have had two weeks to prepare while the Niners would've had to play the week before.

It would have made a difference.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well for some reason I knew what the 49ers were going to try to do before the game even started. They didnt show us anything new. We needed to make the qb pass, most of us knew that but for some reason the coaches told the players to try to sack him??????? If you think that would have changed with one extra week to prepare you may be right. I just dont think it would have changed our game plan. It was painful to watch Clay run all the way behind Kap so Kap could just run to the left right were clay came from time and time again. we need to contain not run crazy trying to sack him. Then the coaches were so stubborn that after halftime they stuck to it and even said they need to bring MORE pressure. WTF were they even watching the game???? If they cant make the right adjustments after the first half I dont see them doing it with one extra week to prepare. It couldnt be more clear what Kap was doing to us, he was running right behind whoever was rushing him. It also didnt help that walden never held contain on his side.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the issue of whether an extra week of rest and game-planning, not to mention playing at home, would have helped is separate from the issue of whether you're satisfied with game plan we executed last night.

Even with the disappointing game plan, the players would benefit from the rest and Packer fans would love to cheer their team at home. We got ****** by the Fail Mary thing.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
We COULD have beaten the Vikies in the final game...and didn't.

We had "home field" and a bye last year ...

The 9'ers thoroughly out-coached the Pack and the players out-played the Pack in Week #1 in Green Bay ... and kicked the Pack's *** yesterday in SF ... what's next??? ... a neutral site? Both times the Pack were wiped. It wouldn't have made any difference if they played the game against each other on Madden, in a cow pasture or in a dark alley in Philadelphia.

Seattle game is a moot point now.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is I dont care if the game was played on the moon we still lose. We didnt have the right game plan we had no chance.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Twice in recent years we've had a bye week and both times we lost. I don't know that it matters that much. We just flat got whooped last night. A bye week wouldn't have changed that.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I don't know whether a bye week and a home game against the Niners would have changed the result, I know that it would have made a difference. There's no getting around that fact.

Coaches and players are pretty confident that the bye is significant. As a fan, I would have preferred to attend the game and, as a shareholder, I don't appreciate seeing my franchise lose out on the revenue of a home playoff game.

I certainly can't shrug it off as though no wrong occurred. How we played against the Niners last night is a separate issue and there's no logic in the reasoning that says we lost to the Niners twice so the playoff seeding didn't matter.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact still remains that the miss-call is not the reason the Packers didn't have a first round bye. Thank the **** poor play in week 17 for that.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I made a difference. Even though we had other opportunities to lock up the bye. Fact is in a competitive league a win is a win and a blatantly horrible call changed the whole playoff Scenario. Having another week to rest and practice, a full week to work on game plan with no travel. Home field and crowd on your side. Yeah I think it could have had a big impact. But we will never know thanks to that call. Anybody have the number of that ref?

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Home field makes little difference in that game.

If this game were played at Lambeau Field, would Capers have magically created a scheme where his defense covered the quarterback? Doubt it. 49ers dominated in the first matchup too. Only reason it was close was because Randall Cobb had a PR TD on an obvious penalty.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it worked! All game. I fail to see how an extra week of thinking would have changed our coaches pigheadedness in regards to play calling.

Reaction score
Week 17 vs the Vikings cost us the first round bye. Nothing else. We win that game we would have had it.
Yes and no. We wouldn't even have to play that game if it wasn't for Seattle. Also, Chicago would have been in the playoffs instead of the Seahawks. The whole playoff picture would have looked different.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and no. We wouldn't even have to play that game if it wasn't for Seattle. Also, Chicago would have been in the playoffs instead of the Seahawks. The whole playoff picture would have looked different.

Yeah it would have been different. Fact still remains that even with the Packers droping that game to the Seahawks they had a chance at a first round bye and a home game in the Divisonal round. It is pointless to talk about this in the context of hypotheticals. Win in week 17 get the bye; the Seahawk game didn't change that, period.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team just isnt tough. Capers stunk and MM. Is a predictable play caller. This has got to be the most talented roster in the nfl but until they get tough and stop ppl we will never in another SB. Now the niners own us like the GIants do.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fail mary caused us homefield advantage. You can't say no when that is a major factor in the playoffs.
It's not a major factor anymore.
Not for us especially as Culpepper, Vick, Eli, Eli showed at Lambeau.
We all thought we'd win at Lambeau last year... it didn't matter what field it was.
Our guys CANNOT TACKLE.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact still remains that the miss-call is not the reason the Packers didn't have a first round bye. Thank the **** poor play in week 17 for that.

Although there's no single reason we weren't seeded second, if we had received a win for the Seahawks game- as we should have- and the remainder of the season played out as it had, the Packers would have secured twelve wins heading into week 17, placing them ahead of San Francisco regardless of how the Minnesota game worked out.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Factually incorrect. Although there's no single reason we weren't seeded second, if we had received a win for the Seahawks game as we should have, the Packers would have secured twelve wins heading into week 17, placing them ahead of San Francisco regardless of how the Minnesota game worked out.
Hypothetical what-if are factually incorrect, you're right. However pointing to the situation that caused us to lose out on the bye and saying: "man, if we'd have played that differently", is not.

You can't point to a game and reasonably say "if that one call wasn't made...", because then you get into a ***-for-tat mindset. Yes it was a poorely officiated game, if we'd have had different officials it would have been a whole nother game. Who knows, maybe we wouldn't have even been in the position to lose because we wouldn't have gone up on a Jennings TD that he committed Off-Pass Interference on.

Fact remains that we still could have secured a first round bye and a home Divisonal game after that game, and had the chance to do so through week 17. We didn't get it done. The only way your argument holds any water, imo, is if the Packers would have been eliminated from the chance of finishing with the 1st or 2nd overall seed by losing that game; that is not the case.

Members online

Latest posts