FA best suited for Green Bay, Sports.com picked them

bsmith_501

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These are the players they gave 5 stars too
Shaun Alexander, Steve Hutchinson, LeCharles Bentley, Adam Vinatieri, Edgerrin James, Mike Vanderjagt, Ahman Green all UFA

These players they gave 4 stars- Drew Brees, Julian Peterson, Jon Runyan, John Abraham, Reggie Wayne, David Givens, Adam Archuleta, Will Witherspoon, Rocky Bernard, Charles Woodson, Deshaun Foster, Nate Clements, Jamal Lewis, Dave Zastudil, Michael Bennett, Mack Strong, Aaron Kampman all UFA

[These players recieved 3 stars-Chris Hovan, Kurt Warner, Sam Cowart, Jon Kitna, Jeff Backus, Antonio Bryant, David Boston, Victor Riley, Ndukwe Kalu, Nate Burleson, Mike Flanagan, Matt Wilhelm, Idrees Bashir, Tom Rouen, Darren Howard, Joe Jurevicius, Justin Hartwig, Robert Mathis, Corey Chavous, Orpheus Roye, Joe Nedney, Dirk Johnson, Keith Newman, Jeff Mitchell all UFA

Scouts. Com ( I errored when I said sports) rated them they thought these players would fit into Green Bays system.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol, if we got Hovan, id die laughing. Hes solid(hes gotten worse), but hes a character and a half.

Now for the "TT is forcing brett out" conspiracy idiots...if GB signed Hovan, then i might have to jump ship on that conspiracy! Hovan chasing favre around in the locker room with a steak knife. lol.

i woudnt mind a corey chavous pickup though. yeah i know hes a (gasp) viking, but hes a very solid safety, and thats what i think Collins needs across from him. Not another young(even if he is a talented) rookie or young safety.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bsmith_501 said:
Scouts. Com ( I errored when I said sports) rated them they thought these players would fit into Green Bays system.

I just logged on to www.scouts.com This is a site for the Boy Scouts?

I could not find this article.

I did however, make the decision to get my "Wood Carving Merit Badge" which I failed to obtain in 1974. I thank you for that, as I have set a new six month goal.

Seriously.... This is a good thread, and I would love to get the actual site of this article.

Can you link it Mr. Smith?

R.P.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see how SOMEONE could give him a 5 star. I personally wouldnt

I mean, ahman has helped GB get to the playoffs for what feels like forever...and last year he got hurt (which helped his stock, cuz he was real bad otherwise)

Id give him a 3, MAYBE a 4 if im in a good mood...which i rarely am (can ya tell im a bitter s.o.b?)

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Ahman Green that bad before he went on IR last year or was the Green Bay offensive line that ineffective in beginning of season in '05? The loss of Packer offensive guards Wahle and Rivera plus offensive center injurred Flannegan caused many problems for Packer offensive line. Flannegan was really hobbled by injuries all last year but" gutted it" up try to play. Ahman Green really did get much help from Packer offensive line while he was in there early in the season.

Any running back needs effective blocking by the OL to get the RB started, in most cases the blocks were no there. Thus the Packer running attack was almost a no show in '05 season and required the Packer QB Brett Favre to carry most of load with his arm . But Donald Driver was the Packers only really effective WR. The injuries to many core Packer players, especially on offensive, really caused many problems with effectiveness of the Packer's offense in 2005. Thus resulted in Packers having their first losing season in 14 years

I would suggest to all good Packer fans "get over" the '05 season. Tromadz- being bitter about last year is not productive. Packer football is entertainment, suppose to be fun. Concentrate on the positive. All NFL teams record at the beginning of '06 season are 0-0. There is hope for the Green Bay franchise this year. It is era of Competitve balance with free agency & salary Cap in the NFL. Teams go from 4-12 one year to 12-4 the next year. A team like Seatttle which in 25 years had not done much in NFL post season went to the Super Bowl this year. Pittsburgh hadn't been in the Super Bowl since the early 80's and the team had two or three losing seasons under HC Cowher since 1998. But won the Super Bowl this year.

Anything can happen in the NFL these days. Even The Packers turning the losing season in '05 to a winning season in '06 is possible.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Was Ahman Green that bad before he went on IR last year or was the Green Bay offensive line that ineffective in beginning of season in '05? The loss of Packer offensive guards Wahle and Rivera plus offensive center injurred Flannegan caused many problems for Packer offensive line. Flannegan was really hobbled by injuries all last year but" gutted it" up try to play. Ahman Green really did get much help from Packer offensive line while he was in there early in the season.

Any running back needs effective blocking by the OL to get the RB started, in most cases the blocks were no there. Thus the Packer running attack was almost a no show in '05 season and required the Packer QB Brett Favre to carry most of load with his arm . But Donald Driver was the Packers only really effective WR. The injuries to many core Packer players, especially on offensive, really caused many problems with effectiveness of the Packer's offense in 2005. Thus resulted in Packers having their first losing season in 14 years

I would suggest to all good Packer fans "get over" the '05 season. Tromadz- being bitter about last year is not productive. Packer football is entertainment, suppose to be fun. Concentrate on the positive. All NFL teams record at the beginning of '06 season are 0-0. There is hope for the Green Bay franchise this year. It is era of Competitve balance with free agency & salary Cap in the NFL. Teams go from 4-12 one year to 12-4 the next year. A team like Seatttle which in 25 years had not done much in NFL post season went to the Super Bowl this year. Pittsburgh hadn't been in the Super Bowl since the early 80's and the team had two or three losing seasons under HC Cowher since 1998. But won the Super Bowl this year.

Anything can happen in the NFL these days. Even The Packers turning the losing season in '05 to a winning season in '06 is possible.

It wasn't just 2005 that he suffered in....

Starting on 11-21 of 2004 he did not have a 100 yards rushing game...7 games and only 1 td from then to the end of the season. 3.7 yards per carry in that time frame..54 yards per game...

Then we all know how 2005 went...5 games no tds 255 yards 3.3 yards per carry..

I am a big fan of his and I have heard ( not sure how true it is) that when he started to decline in 2004 is when his knee was really giving him troubles...But it was his thigh muscle that was causing the knee issue to get worse..

So now with that fixed and if he comes back 100% I feel he could provide the spark he used to..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure how accurate any of this is but it would have an effect on what we do with him since what I have heard here on the site is that we would sign him for the minimum with incentives.

If he's considered that valuable he may get more somewhere else. I personally think he could help us in this new zone blocking scheme. He's always been the type of runner with patience and makes good decisions on where to turn it up which from what I understand is what is needed as the RB has to see where the hole is opening up.

It's not a run from A to B thing but more of a there is a seam in there somewhere and you have to find it kind of thing. He has good vision and may very well do good in this type of situation

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
I am not sure how accurate any of this is but it would have an effect on what we do with him since what I have heard here on the site is that we would sign him for the minimum with incentives.

If he's considered that valuable he may get more somewhere else. I personally think he could help us in this new zone blocking scheme. He's always been the type of runner with patience and makes good decisions on where to turn it up which from what I understand is what is needed as the RB has to see where the hole is opening up.

It's not a run from A to B thing but more of a there is a seam in there somewhere and you have to find it kind of thing. He has good vision and may very well do good in this type of situation
Warhawk I agree with this 100%. For the life of me, I can't understand why Ahman is crucified so much on his fumbling. I never saw Levens or Bennett or any of the imposters before them rip off 70 yard runs like Green has. This guy is/was a special player with a rare combination of speed and power. I lived with his fumbling just as I have Favre's interceptions, and hopefully I will suffer with both again next year. The end results were always worth it prior to the '05 season.

One more thing about Ahman is that he played his prime years as an underpaid pro bowler for GB. The only my biggest critique on the guy is what he has done off the field.

I'm not opposed to Gado either, however, if Ahman Green were given a chance behind the new blocking scheme, I think he would be productive for another 3 years. Irreguardless, GB needs to draft some new blood. Tony Fisher and Poop do nothing for me!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was also a little suprised with the 5 star rating for Ahman. The injury is one that has never seen its recipients ever fully recover....huge risk. That said, he rehabs as hard as anyone.......if someone is gonna get back after this type of injury, it will be him. I see him signing with the Pack for a 1 year deal, incentive laden, to showcase for a potential contract with the Pack or others in 2007.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Julian Peterson is a 4 star?!?!? :shock:

He's easily one of the best FA's out there. He's one of the most talented OLB's in the league and he's young too. I don't understand how they gave Green a 5 star, considering the injury and all, and then gave Peterson a 4. I don't think scout.com's ratings are very accurate. I noticed their Fantasy ratings were pretty screwed up almost all season long as well.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it's very simple with Green, if his leg is 100% he will be worth those 5 stars if he isn't he won't be. So the tough questions are "will he be 100%" and "will he hold up."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well his hands (the ones that never switch no matter what side of the field hes on, as well as those same hands that are prone to fumbling) arent really worth a 5.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
Wow, Julian Peterson is a 4 star?!?!? :shock:

He's easily one of the best FA's out there. He's one of the most talented OLB's in the league and he's young too.

yeah Julian is a real bad ***, but he's had some nagging injuries that have lingered a bit. i'm sure that affected his rating a bit.

OP
OP
B

bsmith_501

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
bsmith_501":3mglhmrd]Scouts. Com ( I errored when I said sports) rated them they thought these players would fit into Green Bays system.[/quote] I just logged on to [url="http://www.scouts.com said:
www.scouts.com[/url] This is a site for the Boy Scouts?

I could not find this article.

I did however, make the decision to get my "Wood Carving Merit Badge" which I failed to obtain in 1974. I thank you for that, as I have set a new six month goal.

Seriously.... This is a good thread, and I would love to get the actual site of this article.

Can you link it Mr. Smith?

R.P.[/quote:3mglhmrd]

here it is http://packers.scout.com/ from there, you will have to find where the article is because i could not seem to find it anymore. So i dont know if they took it off, or i just missed it. Sorry about the mis-post earlier.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that with his type of injury there is usually full recovery. I would go for Peterson too then take Mario Williams in the draft instead of Hawk.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other players on that list I would love to have:

Will Weatherspoon-LB
He was at $1.6mil and would fit great in our defense. We let Digg's go and pick this guy up without much cost against the cap. We improve plus add experience if we intend on drafting a LB.

Adam Archuleta-S
Also was at around $1.6mil. and this guy can play.

I could take watching Barnett, Weatherspoon, Hawk, Collins, Archuleta, Harris and Carrol back there all day long.

I really don't see TT spending Big money in FA but it wouldn't surprise me to see him go after a Hutchinson if BF retires. We will need to drastictly improve our run game and give AR all the help we can up front and would have the $ to do it.

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would like to see jurevicious on this team... that man can catch anything thrown to him... he's just not extremely fast.

i know i know... walker and driver blah blah blah, just saying... if we take him and go to the superbowl... i could see him pulling off a antonio freeman (catching the nalll amazingly whilst he's layed flat on the ground and run for a touchdown)

Members online

Latest posts