F>R's 2020 Mock Draft Thread (Final Mocks Page 16)

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We definitely need 2 marquee picks like last year's. The thing that's so exciting is that with the 2019 class we still don't know how Gary and Sternberger could turn out so 2020 is really exciting. If Gute can find 3 guys in 2020 who immediately contribute this team could make a run next year.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mock draft 1.0
1st Round - 28th
  • Yetur Gross-Matos (EDGE) Penn State
- I like the potential of Gross-Matos. Lanky, athletic enough to play EDGE on our defense, needs to build strength. Fell into the 28th pick. BPA.

2nd Round - 60th
  • Jacob Phillips (ILB) LSU
- Wanted Murray but he was taken in the first by Raiders. Phillips is a plug and play at ILB. Fast. Instinctive. take blocks head-on. Has size and length. I won't be surprised if he gains momentum after the combine.

3rd Round
  • K.J. Hill (WR) Ohio State
- Soft hands. Will catch everything thrown his way. Great athletically and smooth route runner. 3 years of consistency. Great YAC also.

4th
  • Hakeem Adeniji (OL) Kansas
-Great foot speed and mobility. Great bend. Needs to add strength to help with the initial punch.

5th
  • Denzel Mims (WR) Baylor
- Mims could've gone 3th or 4th but he fell into the 5th here. Athlete (ex-track star) with length and size. Good hands and targets the ball well. Needs a lot of work on route running. Best for fade and motion sweep. Also thought about taking another speedster in Charleston Rambon (WR from Oklahoma) here.

--- 6th & 7th just athletes and potential, could've drafted an RB but need to look at more prospects
6th
  • Erick Stokes (CB)
  • Naquan Jones (DL)
7th
  • Ray Lima (DL)

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mock draft 1.0
1st Round - 28th
  • Yetur Gross-Matos (EDGE) Penn State
- I like the potential of Gross-Matos. Lanky, athletic enough to play EDGE on our defense, needs to build strength. Fell into the 28th pick. BPA.

2nd Round - 60th
  • Jacob Phillips (ILB) LSU
- Wanted Murray but he was taken in the first by Raiders. Phillips is a plug and play at ILB. Fast. Instinctive. take blocks head-on. Has size and length. I won't be surprised if he gains momentum after the combine.

3rd Round
  • K.J. Hill (WR) Ohio State
- Soft hands. Will catch everything thrown his way. Great athletically and smooth route runner. 3 years of consistency. Great YAC also.

4th
  • Hakeem Adeniji (OL) Kansas
-Great foot speed and mobility. Great bend. Needs to add strength to help with the initial punch.

5th
  • Denzel Mims (WR) Baylor
- Mims could've gone 3th or 4th but he fell into the 5th here. Athlete (ex-track star) with length and size. Good hands and targets the ball well. Needs a lot of work on route running. Best for fade and motion sweep. Also thought about taking another speedster in Charleston Rambon (WR from Oklahoma) here.

--- 6th & 7th just athletes and potential, could've drafted an RB but need to look at more prospects
6th
  • Erick Stokes (CB)
  • Naquan Jones (DL)
7th
  • Ray Lima (DL)

Gross-Matos is a 4-3 DE, and with us already having Gary rotating behind the Smiths I just don't see how this pick makes sense. He would need to put on about 15-20 lbs to comfortably play as a 3-4 DE

I can't see Phillips as anything more than a fringe Day 2 guy. Top 150 player definitely but his grade gets murky to say Top 100.

The more I scout, the less I like the idea of a WR in the 3rd Round. There are some good value guys, but I just want someone that unquestionably demands to be on the field Day 1 and Hill doesn't do that for me. He's a good guy but with only 600 yards his Senior year I want to see more from the WR of the future.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gross-Matos is a 4-3 DE, and with us already having Gary rotating behind the Smiths I just don't see how this pick makes sense. He would need to put on about 15-20 lbs to comfortably play as a 3-4 DE

I can't see Phillips as anything more than a fringe Day 2 guy. Top 150 player definitely but his grade gets murky to say Top 100.

The more I scout, the less I like the idea of a WR in the 3rd Round. There are some good value guys, but I just want someone that unquestionably demands to be on the field Day 1 and Hill doesn't do that for me. He's a good guy but with only 600 yards his Senior year I want to see more from the WR of the future.
That's your opinion. The Smiths were also 4-3 DE turned 3-4 olb (also see J.Peppers, Nick Perry etc..) Soo that logic doesn't really apply.. this only version 1.0. I'm always a best player available drafter in early rounds. Murray was selected in my mock draft so I opted for Gross-Matos BAP. Anything after 5th round is a crap shoot and I will never reach for me. i also disagreed with your statement on Phillips and Hill. Both have play experience and shown consistency in the years they played along with elite athleticism. The same can't be said for prospects for example Kenneth Murray, who had an average 2018 and rose in 2019 (but I still like the kid). Again, watch them shoot up in ranking after the combine. Not alot of WR can just plug and play, hell even first Rd WR struggle. Agree to disagree.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's your opinion. The Smiths were also 4-3 DE turned 3-4 olb (also see J.Peppers, Nick Perry etc..) Soo that logic doesn't really apply.. this only version 1.0. I'm always a best player available drafter in early rounds. Murray was selected in my mock draft so I opted for Gross-Matos BAP. Anything after 5th round is a crap shoot and I will never reach for me. i also disagreed with your statement on Phillips and Hill. Both have play experience and shown consistency in the years they played along with elite athleticism. The same can't be said for prospects for example Kenneth Murray, who had an average 2018 and rose in 2019 (but I still like the kid). Again, watch them shoot up in ranking after the combine. Not alot of WR can just plug and play, hell even first Rd WR struggle. Agree to disagree.

You just further proved my point though. Gross-Matos is too light to play 3-4DE. So he would have to be a 3-4OLB. We have the Smiths and Gary. I didn't agree with them flipping Gary's position and I don't agree with them doing the same for Gross-Matos. You're advocating for using a second straight 1st Round Pick for a guy who will just be rotated in learning a new postion. I don't understand that logic.

The knock on Phillips is he doesn't have the same plus athleticism of previous top tier ILBs. Why do you think he's elite? He only had 1 sack all year, he's had 2 sacks his entire career. For a ILB playing behind a beastly DL, that jumps off the page to me.

I do think Hill could eventually be a good producer, but only as a role player. He only topped 60 yards 4 times all season. His 2018 campaign was better statistically but you take away the Minnesota game and you get the same thing. We need a #2 who can demand the same attention that Adams does. That isn't Hill. The talent drop off after mid 2nd is significant to me, and this pick would be better spent addressing a different postion. I wouldn't mind being wrong about Hill but I just don't see it.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gross-Matos is too light to play 3-4DE. So he would have to be a 3-4OLB.
Didnt prove a point. I never said he's playing 3-4 DE, you did (look back at my post). That's why I said he's playing EDGE? Aka 3-4 OLB in our defense system. ?? Again BAP. Packers took Gary last year with their first and is starting to learn how to play OLB too, were you one of the ones against that? I won't and will never reach for need.

Look, Philips is no top ten talent. He's no Deon Jones/Devin white or Devin Bush. But plays well and is athletic enough to Garner 2nd round. Definitely has the same tenacity as the top three mentioned. Same can't be said bout guys Troy Dye or Monty Rice (srs idk how Rice is ranked as number 2 ilb in some).

We won't be getting a Jerry Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb who IMO are instant starters. Other than those two the other WRs in this draft will take time to develop. Packers usually take WRs in 2nd and slowly ease them into the field. Only WR we had that had immediate impact as a rookie was Cobb thus far. I don't want to go through that fiasco with JMon Moore (who couldn't catch in college). So I want someone who can catch and catch consistently, realistically to our draft standing. Idk if Hill will be good at the next level (hell we can't prove any prospect else we'd be GMs) but he has a track record to prove he can catch (unlike Higgins).

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt prove a point. I never said he's playing 3-4 DE, you did (look back at my post). That's why I said he's playing EDGE? Aka 3-4 OLB in our defense system. ?? Again BAP. I won't reach for need.

So again, you've proven my point.

You're saying Gross-Matos will play 3-4 OLB for the Packers if drafted. So the BPA on your board is just a backup for this team trying to win a Super Bowl before Rodgers retires. Outstanding.

I'm not trying to be a ****** man but I just don't understand how that makes sense. Gute already did that with Gary. If Gross-Matos was something else I could see it, but to just keep loading up at the same position when we already got roughly 30 sacks from that unit already seems like a waste of a pick. Personally I don't see Gross-Matos even escaping the Top 15. He's my #2 Edge player on the board after Chase Young.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So again, you've proven my point.

You're saying Gross-Matos will play 3-4 OLB for the Packers if drafted. So the BPA on your board is just a backup for this team trying to win a Super Bowl before Rodgers retires. Outstanding.

I'm not trying to be a ****** man but I just don't understand how that makes sense. Gute already did that with Gary. If Gross-Matos was something else I could see it, but to just keep loading up at the same position when we already got roughly 30 sacks from that unit already seems like a waste of a pick. Personally I don't see Gross-Matos even escaping the Top 15. He's my #2 Edge player on the board after Chase Young.
Again proves my point. BAP, can't never have enough talent. Just cause we think we're stacked in one position don't mean we should forgo BAP. Injuries happen. Hell lwe got Rodgers because we stick to BAP.

Plus it's a simulated mock draft. I also don't see Gross-Matos making it out of top 15 hence I picked him in my simulated draft but It's cool. Agree to disagree.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't be getting a Jerry Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb who IMO are instant starters. Other than those two the other WRs in this draft will take time to develop. Packers usually take WRs in 2nd and slowly ease them into the field.

I disagree, Jefferson from LSU if we drafted would instantly be at worst case our #3.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell we got Rodgers because we stick to BAP.

Plus it's a simulated mock draft. I also don't see Gross-Matos making it out of top 15 hence I picked him in my simulated draft but It's cool. Agree to disagree.

We don't "stick" to BPA. Rodgers was just too good to pass up. Most of our drafts are BPA based on need. Depending on your view of Favre we did need a QB. Seeing as Favre was gone 3 years later, we did.

I totally forgot to address that, what Big Board are you using that Gross-Matos even hangs around until 28th Overall? I'd love to see all 27 picks before that....

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally forgot to address that, what Big Board are you using that Gross-Matos even hangs around until 28th Overall? I'd love to see all 27 picks before that....
I used the draft networks simulator. I usually use fanspeak but it's too slow. Yours?

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have the premium subscription from FanSpeak so I'm able to customize my own Big Board.

TheDraftNetwork is cool but they're not usually up to date until after the Combine. Some of their information is months old. Which is amazing because they have so many writers/reporters. If they focused more on scouting and less on the "hot takes" I'd see their information as more reliable.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have the premium subscription from FanSpeak so I'm able to customize my own Big Board.

TheDraftNetwork is cool but they're not usually up to date until after the Combine. Some of their information is months old. Which is amazing because they have so many writers/reporters. If they focused more on scouting and less on the "hot takes" I'd see their information as more reliable.
I like the web setup of DraftNetwork but I've enjoyed Tony Pauline's writing and analysis. He writes like an anthropologist doing fieldwork, describing vivid details of the atmosphere and the players at the workouts (including unknown guys who caught the attention of coaches/scouts). Sadly, Pauline has since stopped his website.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ok with Ruggs, but Jefferson is my top WR.

I had a mock ready to go but it looks like I'll be waiting until after the National Championship or until Tua and now the flip-flopping Moses deside to return to Alabama or not. I'm not saying I'm mocking either to the Packers but Tua obviously throws off the 1st Round quite a bit and Moses can do the same for Day 2.

I like that @AmishMafia did a jab at FA. I might give a crack at it too.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeudy is WR1.
Top 5.

Lamb is next and probably goes by 12.

Not sure who is next, Shanault, Jefferson, ruggs, reagor, Colorado kid, and I'm missing someone. Those are the guys who may help as rookies, but their impact is modest except the top 2.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top 5.

Not sure who is next, Shanault, Jefferson, ruggs, reagor, Colorado kid, and I'm missing someone. Those are the guys who may help as rookies, but their impact is modest except the top 2.

Shenault is the Colorado kid.

There's a lot of nice WR's. Better class than last year.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeudy is WR1.

Top 5.

I get that Jeudy is considered the best WR in the class but I'm thinking along the lines of who might be the better pro prospect.

I'll say Jeudy edges Jefferson for now, but depending on what happens in the National Championship will tell me more.

My current rankings on WRs:

1. Jeudy
2. Jefferson
3. Shenault
4. Ruggs
5. Lamb
6. Smith
7. Johnson
8. Higgins
9. Aiyuk
10. Peoples-Jones

Members online