F>R's 2020 Mock Draft Thread (Final Mocks Page 16)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ran two simulated drafts using Fanpseak... They simulated multiple WRs being picked back to back in the 1st and second. Pushed Jeffrey Okudah and many top DLs into 30s and 2nd round... Lol.. It seems to overvalue WR and offensive players.

I remember you liking Curtis Bolton a lot. Didn't you say he was playing at a level close to Murray? If so, why take Murray at 30?

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember you liking Curtis Bolton a lot. Didn't you say he was playing at a level close to Murray? If so, why take Murray at 30?
That's a great question. Murray is much thicker, no injury history, and did a better job of taking on blocks. I believe Bolton is a great SUPPLEMENT to Murray. Bolton plays FAST and his IQ shows up. Bolton is definitely not the biggest guy around (+ injury history) but I love how Bolton took on blocks (even though at times he lost). It's that dawg mentality of ILBs that sometimes saftey turn LBs dont have (I was not a fan of Burks because of this).
I cant find a video focusing just on Bolton, either I watch a teammate or the full game to get a glimpse of Bolton. Watching 2018 Murray tape, Bolton jumps off that tape. Bolton (#18) was just everywhere in 2018 while Murray seems lost at time. If you ask an Oklahoma fan, they'd tell you Buzzy was the heart and soul of that 18' defense. The first video is of 18' Murray (#18 Bolton). The second tape, I watched after Packers drafted Ty Summers (#42) and picked up Bolton UDFA. I used that game to compare Summers and Bolton. Summers missed tackles are apparent in that game but Summers play speed is there/

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

'18 tape you saw instances of what he can do and it was inconsistent at time. Biggest difference was that 2019 Murray is a COMPLETELY different story. I'm not sure what clicked but it did. Murray did not seem lost, played consistenly FAST but you could also see how physical and big he is. At one point, I felt like he just stopped everything vs Baylor.

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The signing of Kirksey muddies the ILB situation but I'd still pull the trigger if Murray is there. We're banking on Kirksey to play like his '16 and '17 form with the two year deal he gave him. Additionally, I have no faith in Burks at this point. If we took Murray or someone like a Troy Dye, if Kirksey does not live up to that contract or after those two year we'd still have a player we developed who can step in.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Kirksey signing for me has influenced my scenarios greatly. In scenarios where Murray is there ar #30 I'm no longer blindly picking him. I'm sitting deciding between someone high on my list of OTs, iDLs at #30 typically now and peeking of course at what WRs are there.

Reaction score
I can only see him jump for Murray or Queen, but I don't think they last past 24th. While I have continuously defended Jefferson, we have two many holes to jump up and cost us on the back end. I'll accept Reagor, Aiyuk, etc no matter what.
I know we can’t get aggressive in FA due to cap restraints. But what about using 1 future draft selection as a trade off. Just a thought. Might be time to get a couple starters. I’d consider anything outside of a day 1 pick in 2021. Such as a current 5th rounder plus a future 3rd.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we can’t get aggressive in FA due to cap restraints. But what about using 1 future draft selection as a trade off. Just a thought. Might be time to get a couple starters. I’d consider anything outside of a day 1 pick in 2021. Such as a current 5th rounder plus a future 3rd.

I've been screaming this in my head forever but I'd happily sell our 2021 #1 pick for a chance to get Murray/Queen and Jefferson/Ruggs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been screaming this in my head forever but I'd happily sell our 2021 #1 pick for a chance to get Murray/Queen and Jefferson/Ruggs.

This WR group being arguably the most "surething" deep into their numbers I'm truly hoping more and more that we consider trading up to get two picks in the 2nd or two picks in the 3rd.

Draft a stud iDL or OT or a STUD CB that falls at #30....then find a way willing to do anything but a 1st rounder in 2021 to get into the second round or third round again. Imagine a draft where you get the likes of a Blacklock at #30...then add a Reagor/Hill/Ayuik/Claypool and Kmet before you even leave the second round....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't quite what I had in mind but KC has very few draft picks this year...turning their #63 into a few more upper 1/3 of the draft picks may be something they'd consider. Chargers are another team with limited pick count.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would still consider an ILB in the first. Although Murray is better all around, I think Queen may now be the better option. I just think he may pair better with Kirksey. If we have ILBs who can cover, we are better in pass defense and I think we play more base defense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matter of fact, my next mock I think this trade option is somewhat realistic....

We trade with Kansas City at the tail end of the 2nd round to have back to back picks and two in the 2nd round:

Kansas City's 2nd round is gonna cost us our 2021 2nd rounder, and our 4th this year and one of our 6th rounders as well. Value charts place their pick at 276 and our collection of picks there is 324.

KC has a stacked roster BUT turnover is about to occur and having an extra 2nd rounder next year, another 4th and 6th this year I think they bite.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would still consider an ILB in the first. Although Murray is better all around, I think Queen may now be the better option. I just think he may pair better with Kirksey. If we have ILBs who can cover, we are better in pass defense and I think we play more base defense.

The thing with Murray is that I don't think he's really shown he can cover. Right now, he's a really athletic downhill player.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing with Murray is that I don't think he's really shown he can cover. Right now, he's a really athletic downhill player.
He has the tools. The hips are adequate, the quickness, the change of direction. He was not asked to do it much, which may indicate it doesnt translate to the field for him.

Reaction score
He has the tools. The hips are adequate, the quickness, the change of direction. He was not asked to do it much, which may indicate it doesnt translate to the field for him.
If nothing else he could excel in “Dancing with the Stars”.. I mean. Other than a fantastic leg kick he’s got the tools. :whistling:

Reaction score
It’s an interesting thought. They say You basically lose a round trading from the future (1st rounder next year gets you a 2nd this year etc..). But the flip side is the time value of having said player now, so that’s a logical move given the attraction of the player fit and our supposed “Win Now” mode.

Are you saying both positions round 1? I’m not sure a future 1st rounder and back end of round 2 this year is enough to get back into round 1 twice or not?
I like the idea though. It may also take another current mid rounder in addition (because we are typically a late round selection) but I can see provoking interest from a team or 2. I like the imagination though.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s an interesting thought. They say You basically lose a round trading from the future (1st rounder next year gets you a 2nd this year etc..). But the flip side is the time value of having said player now, so that’s a logical move given the attraction of the player fit and our supposed “Win Now” mode.

Are you saying both positions round 1? I’m not sure a future 1st rounder and back end of round 2 this year is enough to get back into round 1 twice or not?
I like the idea though. It may also take another current mid rounder in addition (because we are typically a late round selection) but I can see provoking interest from a team or 2. I like the imagination though.

Next year's 1 and this year's 2 would definitely get you into the second half of the 1st value wise, but finding a suitor is the bigger issue in that I'd bet.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some interesting information to consider, I know we've gone back and forth of usage for certain positions so thought I'd post it here. I may alter my personal board because of it.

I'm guessing this year's 1-3-6 would be the Smiths and Gary.

Barring a Matthews return or another OLB FA signing he MIGHT be eyeing an OLB late Day 3. Or is Randy Ramsey going to get his shot on the full time roster?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB not valuable enough position for a first round pick. That's just a fact from production and salary. You can sign a very good free agent ILB for half the cost of a premium position. Use the draft to find the expensive guys early, that way you can sign a free agent ILB for $6m a year instead of needing a free agent WR/pass rusher/CB for twice that or more (mostly much more).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some interesting information to consider, I know we've gone back and forth of usage for certain positions so thought I'd post it here. I may alter my personal board because of it.

Barring a Matthews return or another OLB FA signing he MIGHT be eyeing an OLB late Day 3. Or is Randy Ramsey going to get his shot on the full time roster?

There are some flightier edge guys that will be there on Day 3 for us to take possibly...DJ Wonnum comes to mind quickly.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't mind Ramsey being the depth behind Gary now that I think about it, but if the right guy slides.....say Anfernee Jennings, Bryce Huff, and Keisean Lucier-South, I'm definitely open to it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I dont think we can garner much from stats regarding snap counts including 2 ILBs.

I would bet that if Pettine had more talent to work with at ILB, he would have played more snaps with 2 ILBs.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mocky Mocky Mocky....

Seventh Mock - Free Agency Week 1

TRADE!!!!

Green Bay trades 30th Overall - 196.31 pts (CB J. Gladney)
Carolina trades 38th and 69th Overall - 228.87 pts

This trade MIGHT be a little too rich, but it'll probably change next week anyways. So I won't over analyze here.

38th Overall: Denzel Mims, WR/Baylor - Strong, physical fast, he'll do wonders in this offense and make it a 1v1 situation at all times across from Adams.

62nd Overall: Justin Madubuike, DL/Texas A&M - All you defensive masterminds and Raekwon Davis haters should like this one. Plays 3T & 5T VERY well. Maybe a Kenny Clark Jr in the making?

69th Overall: Adam Trautman, TE/Dayton - With this trade, I(Gute included) have a ton of flexibility with this pick. This could go to either side of the ball. But since we lost out on Hooper, Gute goes for the small town darling with big time potential. We've got 2 extra roster spots now, and no matter what I see them going to a big body.

94th Overall: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT/Auburn - I have been trying all offseason to nail this guy, and here he is. We all know Wagner ain't Bulaga, but Wanogho sure could be. Keep in mind Bakh is in line for an expensive payday next year. Wagner is insurance if we get burned in 2021, but Wanogho is the future for sure.

136th Overall: Akeem Davis-Gaither, ILB/Appalachain State - Kirksey gave Gute flexibility, and he still has faith in Burks for some reason, and both Summers and Bolton are waiting in the wings. Davis-Gaither is a dynamic small school gem. Some were worried about his frame but he weighed in at the combine at 224. It's not unrealistic to see him pick up 7-11 lbs of muscle by Year 2, but I like this potential duo inside.

175th Overall: Jonah Jackson, G/Ohio State - Gute can release Lane Taylor now, and he can possibly let Linsley walk next year. Jackson is scheme diverse after playing for both Rutgers and then transferring to Columbus his Senior year.

196th Overall: Broderick Washington, DL/Texas Tech - He's my Day 3 gem in this DL Class. This guy is STRONG and he plays VIOLENT. He's a little undersized but don't shy away from this guy. He's a rotational guy who's going to present problems and not allow the opposing OL to catch a break.

208th Overall: Tanner Muse, S/Clemson - Muse did interview with the Packers and many other teams and expressed willingness to line up at LB. He's moved up an entire round in the process. This may be too late to select him. I'm very intrigued with the possible flexibility he could provide the front seven.

209th Overall: Trey Adams, OT/Washington - This might be too late to grab him. But I think the injury history and depending on how you grade his "interview", might leave him hanging around Day 3. Paired with Wanogho this could give the OL stability for 4+ years in the event we lose Bakh.

236th Overall: Shyhiem Carter, CB/Alabama - This DB class is suspect after Day 2, but I'm willing to trot out Carter on a tryout for nickel or dime. The safety experience isn't too bad either.

242nd Overall: Bryce Huff, OLB/Memphis - Nice developmental guy, a little shorter than I'd like for an edge guy, but he's got a little speed, and little power. Gets into the backfield at a high clip and the motor keeps running. Could be a good Practice Squad stash depending on his preseason.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

We would play more nickel defense.

We very rarely play base-- i.e. only four defensive backs on the field. Dime, if I'm not mistaken, is the most common personnel grouping for the Packers. A linebacker who can cover would allow us to play more nickel, which would be a boon to the run defense, I would guess.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Mocky Mocky Mocky....

Seventh Mock - Free Agency Week 1

TRADE!!!!

Green Bay trades 30th Overall - 196.31 pts (CB J. Gladney)
Carolina trades 38th and 69th Overall - 228.87 pts

This trade MIGHT be a little too rich, but it'll probably change next week anyways. So I won't over analyze here.

38th Overall: Denzel Mims, WR/Baylor - Strong, physical fast, he'll do wonders in this offense and make it a 1v1 situation at all times across from Adams.

62nd Overall: Justin Madubuike, DL/Texas A&M - All you defensive masterminds and Raekwon Davis haters should like this one. Plays 3T & 5T VERY well. Maybe a Kenny Clark Jr in the making?

69th Overall: Adam Trautman, TE/Dayton - With this trade, I(Gute included) have a ton of flexibility with this pick. This could go to either side of the ball. But since we lost out on Hooper, Gute goes for the small town darling with big time potential. We've got 2 extra roster spots now, and no matter what I see them going to a big body.

94th Overall: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT/Auburn - I have been trying all offseason to nail this guy, and here he is. We all know Wagner ain't Bulaga, but Wanogho sure could be. Keep in mind Bakh is in line for an expensive payday next year. Wagner is insurance if we get burned in 2021, but Wanogho is the future for sure.

136th Overall: Akeem Davis-Gaither, ILB/Appalachain State - Kirksey gave Gute flexibility, and he still has faith in Burks for some reason, and both Summers and Bolton are waiting in the wings. Davis-Gaither is a dynamic small school gem. Some were worried about his frame but he weighed in at the combine at 224. It's not unrealistic to see him pick up 7-11 lbs of muscle by Year 2, but I like this potential duo inside.

175th Overall: Jonah Jackson, G/Ohio State - Gute can release Lane Taylor now, and he can possibly let Linsley walk next year. Jackson is scheme diverse after playing for both Rutgers and then transferring to Columbus his Senior year.

196th Overall: Broderick Washington, DL/Texas Tech - He's my Day 3 gem in this DL Class. This guy is STRONG and he plays VIOLENT. He's a little undersized but don't shy away from this guy. He's a rotational guy who's going to present problems and not allow the opposing OL to catch a break.

208th Overall: Tanner Muse, S/Clemson - Muse did interview with the Packers and many other teams and expressed willingness to line up at LB. He's moved up an entire round in the process. This may be too late to select him. I'm very intrigued with the possible flexibility he could provide the front seven.

209th Overall: Trey Adams, OT/Washington - This might be too late to grab him. But I think the injury history and depending on how you grade his "interview", might leave him hanging around Day 3. Paired with Wanogho this could give the OL stability for 4+ years in the event we lose Bakh.

236th Overall: Shyhiem Carter, CB/Alabama - This DB class is suspect after Day 2, but I'm willing to trot out Carter on a tryout for nickel or dime. The safety experience isn't too bad either.

242nd Overall: Bryce Huff, OLB/Memphis - Nice developmental guy, a little shorter than I'd like for an edge guy, but he's got a little speed, and little power. Gets into the backfield at a high clip and the motor keeps running. Could be a good Practice Squad stash depending on his preseason.

I like you trade scenario! Much more believable.

Mims would be great. If he was the pick, I'd hope for them to double dip with someone who has more YAC skills-- an Antonio Gibson, Devin Duvernay, etc.

The Packers will need and (I will bet) will take a corner much earlier than this.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I dont think we can garner much from stats regarding snap counts including 2 ILBs.

I would bet that if Pettine had more talent to work with at ILB, he would have played more snaps with 2 ILBs.

This holds true if you go back and look at Pettine's tendencies in previous stops. He used nickel more than dime.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't mind Ramsey being the depth behind Gary now that I think about it, but if the right guy slides.....say Anfernee Jennings, Bryce Huff, and Keisean Lucier-South, I'm definitely open to it.

Carter Coughlin would be an interesting player to replace Fackrell if he can be had late. He's undersized, but has that edge/off-ball versatility that Fackrell brought to the defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts