Extra game would likely be in foreign countries

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NEW YORK -- Americans always seem to want more pro football. Yet it's the folks abroad who might be getting an extra taste of the NFL in the future.

Although talks are extremely preliminary, the NFL is investigating adding a 17th regular-season game and playing it outside the United States. The extra game would take the place of one in the preseason, allowing every team to play once abroad without sacrificing a home game.

This year, the Dolphins gave up a home date in Miami to play the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium in London. Two years ago, the Arizona Cardinals played a home game in Mexico City against the San Francisco 49ers.

"It is preliminary, but we certainly are putting resources into pulling that together," said Mark Waller, NFL senior vice president, international. "For now, we have the one game per season or two per season outside of the U.S. But we know it can be tough on home fans since we're taking a game away.

"So we have asked how do we create more inventory without taking games away from fans? That idea came up in internal conversations and we now have an international committee of owners and we talked it through with them, and they asked us to do some groundwork."

While the 17th game won't get off the ground next season, for sure, it could become a staple of the NFL's schedule by 2009 or 2010. But it would present some significant logistical and scheduling challenges.

For one, if there is another week to the regular season, does that mean openers played on Labor Day weekend, something the NFL has avoided in recent years? Or does it mean pushing the Super Bowl back a week to the second Sunday in February? Or leaving the title game where it is and eliminating the week off between conference championships and the Super Bowl?

"I don't see a huge downside to a week later. The strength of the idea warrants bringing it up for discussion," Waller said.

And what about during a Winter Olympics year such as 2010?

"It might be an issue for the Olympics," he adds with a laugh.

Where would the "foreign games" be played? And how would they be divided?

Waller notes that there won't be 16 different venues for the 17th games. More likely would be a "mini-season ticket" of perhaps four games in one city or country.

"It is very early, but our thought is what we could end up with is every week there would be one international game," he said. "We won't have all of them on the same week. And what you would do is look at taking, for instance, four games to London. Play a game in Wembley each month, having eight different teams coming through. A game in September, one in October, one in November and one in December.

"It's a great opportunity from a fan perspective, because they get half of what a fan in the United States gets, four games to eight."

Aside from England, other prime areas to get games would be Germany, which has a half-dozen quality stadiums thanks to last year's World Cup; Mexico; and Canada. Waller doubts Asia or Australia would be targeted because of the travel concerns, but he doesn't dismiss anything. Or anywhere.

"It is a complex idea and it will take a lot of work on a number of sides," Waller said. "The beauty of it is it's competitively fair."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Hey, a second week into Feb? Maybe it could increase the chance of a Super Bowl in GB lol ...

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not big on it from the standpoint of waiting until 2 am to watch a game or watching it recorded. but who knows

nathanielgreenwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of the day it does not effect the amount of games played at Lambeau and offers fans in other countrys the oppertunity to see some NFL action. I hope that GB comes to London before Favre retires, then I will probobly have seen him play live more times that a lot of Wisconsin people :D

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If it doesn't take away a home game, I'm okay with it. But I have a moronic theory that came about.

What if NFL picks up around the world? That means more teams, the talent we have now is spread thin?

Or would the talent increase with the rest of the world throwing players into the mix?

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not big on it from the standpoint of waiting until 2 am to watch a game or watching it recorded. but who knows

u mean like i do every bloody week

i got offered some tickets for the giants vs fins game but did not want to go watch 2 team who r going nowhere for 10 years

i would love to go watch green bay in the u.k

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have a lot of english fans, just on this board. can you guys explain what got ya interested in football, besides Green Bay being the best franchise ever?

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well in the 80s my dad watched nfl when it was free to watch

a few years ago we got sky t.v in (like cable in america) and the 1st team i watched was green bay beat the seahawks in the post season and in overtime when hasselbeck won the toss and said "we will take the ball and win" he threw a pick the al harris (i think) who returned it for a T.d

my love just grew from there

i would also say the madden games on consoles had a big part in my loveo f football

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funny thing I was thinking is EVERY record set during a 14-game season will be gone. 2000 yard seasons will be a lot more common, and someone will throw 5000 yards again. So much for Marino's remaining record (Favre will beat all his career records by the time he retires).

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be looking foward to a Packersgame somewhere around Europe. Where
exactly would be no concern. I'd just be there.

Football has fans everywhere. I think, the only reason why Football
doesn't spread around the world faster is, that people don't get it. :)
Someone has to explain it to you, so that you know what's happening
on the field. I think, that is what the NFL is trying to do with this worldwide GD.

we have a lot of english fans, just on this board. can you guys explain what got ya interested in football, besides Green Bay being the best franchise ever?

My first game of football was in 1993. College football, Michigan vs. Iowa State. Quality was sub NFL Europa, but I liked it anyway.

Then came SuperBowl XXXI and you know what happend.... :)
I started reading about the great tradition and history of the Green Bay Packers and I never left.

nathanielgreenwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got into the packer by two coincidences. I went shopping one day and bought the latest copy of Madden and 'Theres something about mary'. Luckily I watched the film before playing Madden and the rest is history...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greenwood that is hilarious. cool stories... i think translating soccer to America faces the same challenge of NFL to England, so i think its interesting... i personally like them both equally.

i think the EPL and NFL are very similiar. and both seem to have the same goal of world wide domination...

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The EPL and European soccer in general is hell bent on dominating the asian market these days. I doubt they will ever seriously try and enter the US market bar a few preseason games every summer.

Staff online

Latest posts