Explain these things to me, in your opinion, and to the best of your ability..

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it matters much anymore, we got pulverized and that's really all there is to it. But try to help me understand these key moments in the game;

1. Non Face Mask Call

So this really wasn't a key play since we went deep successfully to James Jones anyway, but please help me understand this. The ref SAW the facemask, then picked up the flag and explained the contact was incidental? Since when are there incidental face masks??? I was under the impression it's 15 regardless of it being incidental or not.

2. Why did we stop running the ball?

So when we were tied, we abandoned the run. We were down by 3 and we abandoned the run. WHY? Harris was averaging over 4.5 yards per carry in this game. I absolutely don't understand why we felt it was necessary with the game still in reach to completely stop trying to run.

3. Down my 2 scores and we punt..

It was this moment that absolutely made me sick to my stomach, and had me thinking that McCarthy has no cajones in this game. We're down by two touchdowns with 11 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. We need 4 yards for a first down, and we're at our own 45, or close to it.... and we PUNT?

To this point we haven't been able to stop their offense, time is running down and down by 2 TD's we don't let the best QB in the NFL try and pick up 4 yards? I just about turned the game off right then and there.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/02/nfl-does-away-with-incidental-facemask-penalty/

There used to be two kinds of face-mask penalties: the incidental foul netted a five yard penalty while the "personal foul" variety was worth 15 yards. The five-yarder is gone and that's a good thing. Now technically all facemask penalties will be worth 15 yards.

Ah! But that penalty will only consist of grabbing or twisting of the facemask. If you get your hand up there accidentally and not grab it, no penalty will be called. That helps to get rid of the gray area between what comprised a 5 or 15 yard penalty and penalize all of the tugging and twisting of face-masks in the same manner.

No answer to no running...One thing was brought up==We were in no huddle and maybe Harris didnt know it..But maybe the packages they wanted for it, Harris just is not in that package..But he was doing good, he should have been there....But I was okay with it..

The punting I am not okay with...Should have went for it..Who knows---- we may have driven for a score instead of letting them run it for 6 or 7 mins to go up by 3 tds

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it matters much anymore, we got pulverized and that's really all there is to it. But try to help me understand these key moments in the game;

So when we were tied, we abandoned the run. We were down by 3 and we abandoned the run. WHY? Harris was averaging over 4.5 yards per carry in this game. I absolutely don't understand why we felt it was necessary with the game still in reach to completely stop trying to run.

It was this moment that absolutely made me sick to my stomach, and had me thinking that McCarthy has no cajones in this game. We're down by two touchdowns with 11 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. We need 4 yards for a first down, and we're at our own 45, or close to it.... and we PUNT?

To this point we haven't been able to stop their offense, time is running down and down by 2 TD's we don't let the best QB in the NFL try and pick up 4 yards? I just about turned the game off right then and there.

These 2 are just an example of the very questionable play-calling by MM throughout the season. He should NOT be the one calling the plays. Unfortunately, as another poster mentioned in another thread, there is an annoying stubbornness bordering on arrogance in MM. He talks the talks about taking the blame, but as far as I can see he doesn't walk the walk. He needs to take a step back and look at it all, and he needs to hear some outside, independent criticisms of his coaching and learn from them.

Any HC can say that he takes the responsibility for the loss, etc. etc., but the best ones actually find ways to re-evaluate themselves and make changes.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I'VE GOT IT:
MM & CAPERS were showing everyone that, there are no COACHING VACANCIES in GB no matter how bad they can screw up a GAME.......

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

1. Non Face Mask Call

So this really wasn't a key play since we went deep successfully to James Jones anyway, but please help me understand this. The ref SAW the facemask, then picked up the flag and explained the contact was incidental? Since when are there incidental face masks??? I was under the impression it's 15 regardless of it being incidental or not.

1. Zebra screws.
2. Because Clements is a former QB coach, and QB coaches don't remind anyone to run the ball. Plus we were down and apparently in 2 minute score at all costs mode.
3. I gave up on that game long before this happened.

Reaction score

I was yelling at McCarthy because we had not stopped them ONCE all game pretty much. We get an easy opportunity to extend the drive and we would have made it a 1 TD game.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I was yelling at McCarthy because we had not stopped them ONCE all game pretty much. We get an easy opportunity to extend the drive and we would have made it a 1 TD game.
Honk if you think Harris could have picked it up. Or a quickscreen.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts